As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US and Russia] Talk about Trump connections to Russia here.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Manafort should be quoted in a dictionary under non-denial.
    NYT wrote:
    “This is absurd,” he said. “I have no idea what this is referring to. I have never knowingly spoken to Russian intelligence officers, and I have never been involved with anything to do with the Russian government or the Putin administration or any other issues under investigation today.”

He added, “It’s not like these people wear badges that say, ‘I’m a Russian intelligence officer.’”

Fair enough, they don't do that. Which can plausibly be said to be valuable to both sides in the conversation. Anytime he speaks he sounds like the slimiest politician.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Just a reminder. Top Republican party leadership, such as Mitch McConnell, Paul Ryan, and Reince Priebus all knew of potential Russian links to Trump well before the election.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    Just a reminder. Top Republican party leadership, such as Mitch McConnell, Paul Ryan, and Reince Priebus all knew of potential Russian links to Trump well before the election.

So every Democrat in congress has to demand an independent investigation of the largest scale at every moment.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    Problem is though convincing the Republican Majority Congress that this is Treason. They're not about to sabotage their ability to enact Conservative Policy for at least two years through impeachment and crucifying their own party.

Though if we have anyone who was alive during the Nixon era. Has the media gotten to the point where you guys feel that Trump has entered Nixon territory? The evidence of his cabinet being involved with Russian Agents has been proven. We're still in the infancy of connecting the dots. Just a question of when it'll happen.

Edit: is this thread appropriate?

Yeah, the difference with Nixon was that the media had one of the top FBI guys spoon feeding the information to them. And more importantly, there was actually a majority in the opposition party, able to pump the breaks a bit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Waffen wrote: »
    Problem is though convincing the Republican Majority Congress that this is Treason. They're not about to sabotage their ability to enact Conservative Policy for at least two years through impeachment and crucifying their own party.

Though if we have anyone who was alive during the Nixon era. Has the media gotten to the point where you guys feel that Trump has entered Nixon territory? The evidence of his cabinet being involved with Russian Agents has been proven. We're still in the infancy of connecting the dots. Just a question of when it'll happen.

Edit: is this thread appropriate?

Yeah, the difference with Nixon was that the media had one of the top FBI guys spoon feeding the information to them. And more importantly, there was actually a majority in the opposition party, able to pump the breaks a bit.

And the GOP hadn't wholly sacrificed its principles yet. They still had their northeastern and midwestern decent conservatives.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    They missed one

Which is extra ridiculous because as a result of their actions in Ukraine, President Obama applied some pretty harsh sanctions...and the Trump campaign specifically changed the party platform to take a softer stance on. For, I'm sure, no reason other than Putin is just such a swell guy

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I find it darkly amusing that SCROTUS* is ranting about "fake news" and "illegal leaks" without realising that each of those things would cancel out the other.

*So-Called Ruler of the United States

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    They missed one

Which is extra ridiculous because as a result of their actions in Ukraine, President Obama applied some pretty harsh sanctions...and the Trump campaign specifically changed the party platform to take a softer stance on. For, I'm sure, no reason other than Putin is just such a swell guy

Lol. Says the guy that two months ago assured us that Russia wouldn't dare step foot in Crimea.

• Options
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »
    They missed one

Lol. Says the guy that two months ago assured us that Russia wouldn't dare step foot in Crimea.

And is omitting Comey's impact on his own election.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    "The Russian connection non-sense is a coverup of the mistakes of the Clinton campaign"??

Seriously? You are still thinking the Democrats care about how or why they lost? You still think they want to distract from that loss?

And not, maybe, find out if you are as treasonous as you appear to be?

• Options
    edited February 2017
    JoeUser wrote: »

Tell me more about this "great risk," congressman. They certainly seem to have a tighter grip on protecting the country than Trump's Russia friendly cabinet.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    We have a store here in town that makes "Sorry About Steve King" shirts. I might need to go buy one.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Don't.... just don't read the comments.

• Options
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    they keep saying illegal but it's not illegal to talk to journalists

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Revealing classified information is some breed of illegal, though. That's what "classified" means, to my understanding.

So we're going to see a witch hunt over leakers to avoid hearings on the leaked info.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    "illegal leaks" ... I want to post that Princess Bride clip, "You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means."

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I remember when Trump really cared about all the illegal leaking during the election when it was most likely to have an impact on the outcome of an election and least likely to be cleared up before the election. Yup.

So what is the reasoning for not doing any independent investigations to make sure there is no wrongdoing? Given that the GOP controls Congress, there is vastly more likelihood of them being designed to look the other way when it comes to wrongdoing than to go way too far and for too long.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I remember when Trump really cared about all the illegal leaking during the election when it was most likely to have an impact on the outcome of an election and least likely to be cleared up before the election. Yup.

So what is the reasoning for not doing any independent investigations to make sure there is no wrongdoing? Given that the GOP controls Congress, there is vastly more likelihood of them being designed to look the other way when it comes to wrongdoing than to go way too far and for too long.

That investigations take up precious lawmaking time and waste taxpayer dollars.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

Because it's FINE, Couscous

Everything is JUST FINE

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

Didn't this asswipe quote, refer to and praise Wikileaks a bunch of times? I should look those up for quoting purposes.

I mean I could skip straight to him asking Russia to hack his opponent live during a press conference, but that seems too easy.

• Options

What? I'm not sure I'm getting what he's saying and what I think he's saying isn't how the government works.

• Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Revealing classified information is some breed of illegal, though. That's what "classified" means, to my understanding.

So we're going to see a witch hunt over leakers to avoid hearings on the leaked info.

This is going to be half to 2/3rds of Trump's staff.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Didn't this asswipe quote, refer to and praise Wikileaks a bunch of times? I should look those up for quoting purposes.

I mean I could skip straight to him asking Russia to hack his opponent live during a press conference, but that seems too easy.
    He praised Wikileaks a ton of times on Twitter alone.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    If the leaks are illegal then assumption is the information is true and the crime is exposing classified information

If leaks are fake news lies then the information is not true and the crime is libel and slander

These are mutually exclusive categories Donnie boy and the distinction is meaningful

I would ask if someone explained that to you but lol non it wouldn't even matter if they did

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure Trump's understanding of law begins and ends with the Alternate Golden Rule: He Who Has the Gold Makes the Rules. Everything gets gold-plated just to be safe on that note.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

They've been making their way up the coast for a couple of days now. They were off Delaware yesterday / two days ago.

• Options
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    they keep saying illegal but it's not illegal to talk to journalists
    ...yet.

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Because it's FINE, Couscous

Everything is JUST FINE

:whistle: Everything is awesome
    Everything is cool when you're racist and mean :whistle:

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I'm glad trump was complaining so hard about leaks during the campaign

• Options
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's nice McCain FUCKING DO SOMETHING you blowhard. Be something more than sound and fury signifying nothing.

We live in a tale told by an idiot.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I don't get why the republicans are not more aggressive about this now that the Russia ties are right there in the open plain as day.

If it ends in Trump's impeachment, then it's Pence/Ryan and they still have control and can still implement the entire republican greatest hits regressive policy extravaganza. If Pence is shown to be involved, then it's still Ryan/Hatch and the same applies. They've still got control, and it should be obvious by now that this train wreck presidency won't win another term if it even lasts that long. Just get it over with already.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    He is generally regarded as a complete imbecile, actually. Dumbest man in Congress and what not.

Living in Utah, I take personal offense at the very notion that anyone is dumber than Chaffetz.

I'm not sure they were ever in Congress at the same time. Pod Save the World crew is trying to get Evan McMullin to go after Chaffetz in the primary, by the way.

I have staunchly resisted Podcasts for years now. I grudgingly accepted a podcast service for Zero Punctuation, but that was it!

... I now eagerly listen to Pod Save America and Pod Save the World while gaming or walking about.

I am a changed man over this last month of bullshit.

Which is to say that PSA and PStW are both great.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I don't get why the republicans are not more aggressive about this now that the Russia ties are right there in the open plain as day.

If it ends in Trump's impeachment, then it's Pence/Ryan and they still have control and can still implement the entire republican greatest hits regressive policy extravaganza. If Pence is shown to be involved, then it's still Ryan/Hatch and the same applies. They've still got control, and it should be obvious by now that this train wreck presidency won't win another term if it even lasts that long. Just get it over with already.

They only ever cared about Russia because it was something they could needle Obama over with no consequences.

No one in the House or Senate is going to lose an election over foreign policy, so now that a Republican is president they mostly get back in line.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

Especially now. Its a month in. They have 3 years, 11 months time to convince the American public that it was just Trump and not the entire GOP that did this. If they get rid of him now (and maybe even Pence) - they have all the time in the world and in power to change the narrative and make people forget Trump. The longer this drags out, the harder it gets to get elected for dog catcher for the GOP.

This discussion has been closed.