As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Judeau [chat]

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    I am half expecting.. hoping I guess, that all this shit does actually make America great again, because it showed just how vulnerable our country was. Not even we're safe to meddling politics, but maybe we should be.

You're being too optimistic. If what you're saying was real Trump wouldn't have gotten as far as he did because the voting population would have remembered what happened with George W. Bush.

I'm saying that we might amend money out of politics and limit what congress and the executive can do to already in place laws.

And maybe drop kick the electoral college out of the fucking country.

Things would have to tremendously worse than they are now from that to be on the table. As in revolution from the ground up, that's not getting touched with the current (and even pre-Trump) system, it's too entrenched and fucked up at every level to get glanced at. We might have stood a chance had Hillary won and we had a few generations with Dems in control of the presidency and all branches but we are not lucky enough to be in that reality either, and that'd still be a long shot.

edit: Also, you can't really get money entirely out of politics due to how it works. There will always be corruption and politicians requiring money to win elections.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    my phone just has you view messages one at a time

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    so what is happening now, is the US government actually collapsing today?

Trump is basically confirming that all of the leaks out of the White House are real & credible. Because he's an idiot, you see.

So, yeah. Go back over all of the leaks and nod to yourself that every bit of it is true.

Also... it kind of sounds like he is saying the intelligence briefings about his connections in Russia are true? It's fucking weird. 'The REAL scandal is that the information was illegally given to the press, and also Crimea was invaded while Obama was in charge so what does it matter if Trump has connections in Russia, and hey this whole thing is just intended to distract from Hillary's failed campaign.'

His twitter is currently a bunch of excuses for why dealings with Russia are status quo, how it is unfair that leaked intelligence about his alleged connections to Russia reached the press & what amounts to angry confirmation that the leaks are legit.

I haven't had any sleep yet, so my foggy brain can currently only muster frustration at how badly Trump is bungling what should be a simple coup effort. 'No, Trump, that's not how you do this! No! Go the other way! The power up is right there! Oh Goddammit just give me the controller!'

He can't let anything go. The Ninth Circuit ruling, he was (by proxy) shredded in that because instead of preparing for the actual case surrounding the actual order, somebody told him no and he had to insist that not only is he right, they're not allowed to say no, which I doubt is a persuasive argument in most courtrooms. And Rudy's claims as to what the ban actually is can also fatally undermine it too. He cannot pick his battles.

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Morning my fellow miscreants.

Today I learned to NEVER BATSIGNAL ANYONE FOR ANY REASON that I'm a pretty light sleeper, all things considered.

A Kobold's Kobold on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Trump is basically confirming that all of the leaks out of the White House are real & credible. Because he's an idiot, you see.

So, yeah. Go back over all of the leaks and nod to yourself that every bit of it is true.

Also... it kind of sounds like he is saying the intelligence briefings about his connections in Russia are true? It's fucking weird. 'The REAL scandal is that the information was illegally given to the press, and also Crimea was invaded while Obama was in charge so what does it matter if Trump has connections in Russia, and hey this whole thing is just intended to distract from Hillary's failed campaign.'

His twitter is currently a bunch of excuses for why dealings with Russia are status quo, how it is unfair that leaked intelligence about his alleged connections to Russia reached the press & what amounts to angry confirmation that the leaks are legit.

I haven't had any sleep yet, so my foggy brain can currently only muster frustration at how badly Trump is bungling what should be a simple coup effort. 'No, Trump, that's not how you do this! No! Go the other way! The power up is right there! Oh Goddammit just give me the controller!'

He can't let anything go. The Ninth Circuit ruling, he was (by proxy) shredded in that because instead of preparing for the actual case surrounding the actual order, somebody told him no and he had to insist that not only is he right, they're not allowed to say no, which I doubt is a persuasive argument in most courtrooms. And Rudy's claims as to what the ban actually is can also fatally undermine it too. He cannot pick his battles.

"I'm the president, aren't I basically the ruler/owner of the world?" is probably what runs through his mind

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I am half expecting.. hoping I guess, that all this shit does actually make America great again, because it showed just how vulnerable our country was. Not even we're safe to meddling politics, but maybe we should be.

You're being too optimistic. If what you're saying was real Trump wouldn't have gotten as far as he did because the voting population would have remembered what happened with George W. Bush.

I'm saying that we might amend money out of politics and limit what congress and the executive can do to already in place laws.

Things would have to tremendously worse than they ae now from that to be on the table. As in revolution from the ground up, that's not getting touched with the current (and even pre-Trump) system, it's too entrenched and fucked up at every level to get glanced at. We might have stood a chance had Hillary won and we had a few generations with Dems in control of the presidency and all branches but we are not lucky enough to be in that reality either, and that'd still be a long shot.

edit: Also, you can't really get money entirely out of politics due to how it works. There will always be corruption and politicians requiring money to win elections.

I hope we see a democratic presidency and senate for the next 8+ years.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

I would bet dollars to donuts that if Trump had just called the head of CPB and told them to keep on keeping on, on orders from the President, we'd be living in the truly darkest timeline right now.

But he probably didn't even know that phone number, or the guy/girl's name, and presumably turned to Pence for advice.

Thank God the would-be dictator is so fucking stupid.

With Love and Courage
  • Options

Things would have to tremendously worse than they ae now from that to be on the table. As in revolution from the ground up, that's not getting touched with the current (and even pre-Trump) system, it's too entrenched and fucked up at every level to get glanced at. We might have stood a chance had Hillary won and we had a few generations with Dems in control of the presidency and all branches but we are not lucky enough to be in that reality either, and that'd still be a long shot.

I hope we still have a democracy in 2. I was cynical before, but I've become more so with Trump and for good reason. He's already gotten away with far more than I thought possible with the system.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

So are the rumors that Trump was promised a significant share in a Russian oil firm looking credible then?

Reuters: How Russia sold its oil jewel: without saying who bought it
    More than a month after Russia announced one of its biggest privatizations since the 1990s, selling a 19.5 percent stake in its giant oil company Rosneft, it still isn't possible to determine from public records the full identities of those who bought it.

The stake was sold for 10.2 billion euros to a Singapore investment vehicle that Rosneft said was a 50/50 joint venture between Qatar and the Swiss oil trading firm Glencore.

Unveiling the deal at a televised meeting with Rosneft's boss Igor Sechin on Dec. 7, President Vladimir Putin called it a sign of international faith in Russia, despite U.S. and EU financial sanctions on Russian firms including Rosneft.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    my phone just has you view messages one at a time

P10...jesus christ...

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

You'd have to impeach every Republican in the Executive and Legislature to have a chance of that before 2020, sadly

We gotta put up with this for 3.932 years in one form or another

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Twitter is still losing over a hundred million a year. I doubt they can afford a new moderation staff, unfortunately.

Twitter should have one guy generating banning data and then just train a neural net

Mostly because I want to see what happens when people are banned by an algorithm

Geth, report in

If you guys want a trained NN I can hook you up.

Wouldn't you have to train it on this forum's data, specifically?

You could but that's specific and isn't very useful because there's way more work going into it than work you won't have to do because of it in the end.

Ideally it'd start off as a background process that would only flag posts for moderation review (based on a database built up over like a year of live data) by real people, where infractions and bans and such are handed out would be the "reward" and when it's a false flag a moderator could click a button and "punish" the NN. Over time it'd become able to handle everything infraction wise by itself. The moderators could even set up a false forum they could use to simulate an environment for it even.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Neco wrote: »
    I think cats are better than everything

JUST JOKING YOU CAN'T INFRACT ME FOR THAT NOW IM INVINCIBLE

You're a loose catnnon!!

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Cats aren't as loving as dogs and therefore are not as good

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »

False

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

Counterpoint: I sentence you to death.

• Options
    I did watch a programme about dogs and their miraculous senses and talents and blah blah blah last night purely because I wanted to see footage of dogs doing stuff and looking happy and excited and dopey all at the same time.

• Options

Greater men have tried

• Options

Bogart has substantial powers in these matters and his authority WILL NOT BE QUESTIONED and I will go on ANY FORUM, ANY TIME, and repeat this ANY WHERE

• Options

Don't reward him, Bogart.

4a153d38db3efe5fc25025cbbc71f60f.jpg

deathwithcat_8690.jpg

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

flintlock is fine

With Love and Courage
  • Options

Greater men have tried

This statement requires me to believe that greater men than myself exist, or have existed, or indeed could exist.

I'm sure you can see how this is difficult.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I picked the wrong moment of inertia, fine, I'll do it again with the right one

"you also have to calculate the stresses in both crossections A-A and B-B"

why

B-B will always be smaller

blergh

writing math takes time, ffs

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Don't reward him, Bogart.

4a153d38db3efe5fc25025cbbc71f60f.jpg

deathwithcat_8690.jpg

Death is a promise kept to everyone but me

• Options
    The correct answer is to have a dog and a cat. Or several of both.

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Bogart has substantial powers in these matters and his authority WILL NOT BE QUESTIONED and I will go on ANY FORUM, ANY TIME, and repeat this ANY WHERE

Hakke is Bogart's boss so it's wise to listen what she has to say.

• Options
    Seeing him in that chair feels like the ending of The Parallax View.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I mean,

it's not his fault dogs are better.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

Greater men have tried

This statement requires me to believe that greater men than myself exist, or have existed, or indeed could exist.

I'm right here, Bogart.

:P

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

limiting what they can do in what way?

I mean

that means getting rid of a bad law will be even more difficult

a system where good laws are easy to make and hard to get rid of, and bad laws are hard to make and easy to get rid of, is not possible, unless "bad law" means "illegal laws"

amending money out of politics though is absolutely doable. Not that I've counted, but I think a majority of democracies have laws in place that limit the role money can play in politics.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Cats and humans have a different relationship than humans and dogs. Dogs are more integrated with us on a biological level it seems. Like we have developed a lot of stuff in common including body language and such. I hate the term biological but a lot of recent studies show dogs and people are basically symbiotic and who did the domesticating is kind of up in the air. Was it dogs coming to us or us going to the dogs and so on.

Cats came much later. More based on us having agriculture than earlier hunter-gatherer societies. Tended to be less of the social integration than dogs. And maintain the ability to go feral much faster than dogs. But also have adapted and changed to be integrated in human society by retaining more kitten like features than they use to.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    amending money out of politics though is absolutely doable. Not that I've counted, but I think a majority of democracies have laws in place that limit the role money can play in politics.

Yeah, but how many of those have an opposition as strong and built in like America's?

• Options
    Houn wrote: »

Greater men have tried

I'm right here, Bogart.

I mean you guys are like right next to each other on the great totem pole of greatness except you both have been forced into the ground under the weight of my magnificent fatness

• Options

Greater men have tried

I'm right here, Bogart.

I mean you guys are like right next to each other on the great totem pole of greatness except you both have been forced into the ground under the weight of my magnificent fatness

Houn is also doge.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Cats and humans have a different relationship than humans and dogs. Dogs are more integrated with us on a biological level it seems. Like we have developed a lot of stuff in common including body language and such. I hate the term biological but a lot of recent studies show dogs and people are basically symbiotic and who did the domesticating is kind of up in the air. Was it dogs coming to us or us going to the dogs and so on.

Cats came much later. More based on us having agriculture than earlier hunter-gatherer societies. Tended to be less of the social integration than dogs. And maintain the ability to go feral much faster than dogs. But also have adapted and changed to be integrated in human society by retaining more kitten like features than they use to.

Cats also channel supernatural energies and curse humans unto eternity

• Options

Greater men have tried

I'm right here, Bogart.

Houn is also doge.

I want a shark puppy

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Yeah, but how many of those have an opposition as strong and built in like America's?

Even the US has laws around this technically. And yes moneyed interest no matter where you are have strong built in opposition to these laws. And unless the laws are written strictly their is always a back way in.

So it is doable. And you could write it in a way that reduces influence and the need for elected officials to cold call rich people for donations and such in the US. But it takes the will of those in power to make that fight.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    i think its interesting that we've domesticated like every domesticatable animal already

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
This discussion has been closed.