As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat [chat]

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I have an earache. In my good ear.

Do not want.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I updated the firmware on my wireless router two nights ago, enabled the 5 GHZ and changed it from G only to mixed (it has G/N/AC options I think?)

odds of any of that actually being successful in fixing the weird lag issues we are getting on our Xboxes in the basement?

we'll find out tonight I guess

5ghz tends to have less range i think

you can try connecting to either band and see if one works better

oh I thought the 2.5 ghz had the lower range

maybe i'll take my lappy down there and do some speed tests while fiddling with the router settings

2.5 is longer range but easier to interfere with

5 is shorter range but less easy to interfere with

higher frequencies also have a harder time penetrating barriers

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Also some of you are getting entirely TOO comfortable planning things at my compound.

Wait am I uninvited now?

::checks list::

no but you lost your +1

he's no good to the colony without his hand

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Also some of you are getting entirely TOO comfortable planning things at my compound.

I can help you write them off

I just need a red shotgun

What about a red blunderbuss?

Even better

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Since I snuck in last year and said I wouldn't this year:

To whom it may concern of the fabled NY PAers (@Variable @Hakkekage @Deebaser specifically I think mm hmmm'd me last year), the foolish woman who I tricked into marrying me and I are going to be in NYC the night of the 23rd - 26th (Thur - Sun). We're seeing Hamilton Friday night (#humblebrag) but other than that we don't have hard and fast plans.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I have to drink a lot to feel any different waking up the next day

like, well beyond drunk a lot

it's good cuz watching babs while hungover is the worst thing in the world

it's mostly that i go to bed late when i drink

like if i just went to bed at 11-12 i'd be fine, but nope 2:30 or bust

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    SSDI actually has a hard cap where if you make too much money you don't count as disabled and are no longer eligible
    Inability to engage in substantial gainful activity means that if a person works, they earn less than a certain amount of money.
    spoilers: this is incredibly dumb and our benefits programs should not penalize people for working as much as they are able

SSDI isn't disability as you're probably thinking

SSDI is specifically an additional amount of money disabled people can get if they are both disabled AND unable to work
    SSI also has an income limit (although wages only count as half for the purpose of this limit), so I am not sure what disability benefits you are thinking of.

SSI has income limits but it is not a line you cross over from full to no benefits, it ramps down as you earn money and not a 1/1 rate
    This is correct, but SSI also has the substantial gainful activity limit when you first apply to be on it which is a hard limit and it is lower than the normal income limit once you are on SSI
    If an SSI applicant has monthly earnings of $1,170 or more in 2017, the applicant is considered to be engaging in “substantial gainful activity,” and won't be considered disabled. (...)
    However, after one month of receiving SSI benefits, an SSI recipient can work and make more than $1,170 without losing disability benefits (under Section 1619 of the Social Security Act), as long as the recipient is still considered disabled. But continuing SSI recipients are still bound by the $1,500 limit discussed above (if the recipient lives in a state that doesn't pay an SSI state supplement; in states that do pay the supplement, the limit may be higher). But remember, an SSI recipient's countable income will be deducted from his or her SSI payment, meaning that the SSI payment will be less than the full amount.

I don't think I ever said you can earn unlimited money and keep your SSI? It has a "Hard cut off" sure but if you're making $1 under that cutoff, you're only getting $1 in benefits a month

The ACA program I was discussing earlier literally can have thousands in benefits locked on either side of a single .001% of your income that if you pass, you lose them
    We're in agreement that hard limits are bad.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Wait am I uninvited now?

no but you lost your +1

Wait, I had a +1?

Also did you find out about the GPS stuff? I can't find a good unit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with totally sick slo mo kills

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Querry and I have agreed that we will adopt grandchildren from the hordes of mutant rat people that will be around.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I updated the firmware on my wireless router two nights ago, enabled the 5 GHZ and changed it from G only to mixed (it has G/N/AC options I think?)

odds of any of that actually being successful in fixing the weird lag issues we are getting on our Xboxes in the basement?

maybe i'll take my lappy down there and do some speed tests while fiddling with the router settings

k so 5 ghz is probably better, idk

total distance from boxes to router is maybe 35 ft over and 10 ft up, so 36 or 37 ft

probably not too far for 5 it's just the interference going through the floor I imagine

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    damnit, now I'm sitting here thinking about how good a hand-build solar heat-based generator could work

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    electricity is mainly useful for refrigeration

but an electricity supply would hardly be reliable enough that you'd be able to rely on refrigeration to preserve food anyway

One can just as easily make a wood gassifier power plant if needed. Wind power works on similar principles to water power, but it's far less predictable. Solar power isn't a good long term solution for electricity since you' need a manufacturing system in place to replace them. You want something that isn't reliable on battery power tbh.

the thing that makes water power easier than wind, mainly, is that you can control the direction very very easily. Put a waterwheel in a stream and presto.

solar power, yeah, you have solar power until your panels stop working, and then you don't because you can't redneck up a silicon crystal plant

ftOqU21.png
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I hope at 150 I look as spry as I did at 130

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    I really dislike Mulcair and blame him for losing the election

Like, yeah, Layton's shadow was colossal, but his mealy mouthed overtures at centrism were the worst possible plays.

Trying to say he's gonna run a balanced budget when Trudeau was being straight up about running back to back deficits, taking potshots (ayyyyy) at Trudeau over cannabis making him look like an out of touch fucking old, the bullshit bait and switch about raising the minimum wage... for federal government employees...

Like, Mulcair was a shitty politician and I don't blame people for not having faith in him or his platform. I voted NDP anyway, because I was voting for the party not Mulcair (also I lived in Elizabeth May's riding at the time so it didn't matter lmao).

I get why Trudeau was elected. I hope the NDP get their shit together for the next election. I, like Ender, am terrified of Justin handing it to the Conservatives.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Wait am I uninvited now?

no but you lost your +1

You might want to get someone who can do big boy math and actually program. Bowen is a 30k kind of guy.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    electricity is mainly useful for refrigeration

but an electricity supply would hardly be reliable enough that you'd be able to rely on refrigeration to preserve food anyway

One can just as easily make a wood gassifier power plant if needed. Wind power works on similar principles to water power, but it's far less predictable. Solar power isn't a good long term solution for electricity since you' need a manufacturing system in place to replace them. You want something that isn't reliable on battery power tbh.

the thing that makes water power easier than wind, mainly, is that you can control the direction very very easily. Put a waterwheel in a stream and presto.

solar power, yeah, you have solar power until your panels stop working, and then you don't because you can't redneck up a silicon crystal plant

Maybe you can't

I bet that guy who built a shed could figure it out

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    does having the two boxes literally a foot or two away from each other cause a problem for wifi reception?

idk, everything was going great for months after I switched to faster internet and now everything sucks again idgi

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    and also like, oh no our generator is broken

well, our watermill is still rotating so we can still grind stuff or saw stuff or chop stuff, no biggie

ftOqU21.png
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

Wait am I uninvited now?

no but you lost your +1

Wait, I had a +1?

Also did you find out about the GPS stuff? I can't find a good unit.

I've been looking but honestly nothing is turning my crank.

Everything is either affordable but battery powered or expensive but rechargeable.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    I have to drink a lot to feel any different waking up the next day

like, well beyond drunk a lot

it's good cuz watching babs while hungover is the worst thing in the world

i mean

if i'm drinking it's pretty much somewhere between a lot and way too much

oh

I enjoy being just reasonably buzzed/silly the most so that's usually where I stop

it takes me a fair amount to get there these days

i have a lot of practice

and fat

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    My problem with fridges is, how do we get the coolant? I imagine in an apocalypse situation you're going to have to use non-refrigerant systems, which I guess is not really a huge deal, but definitely a more intensive system.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Delmain wrote: »

higher frequencies also have a harder time penetrating barriers

Yeah you achieve full penetration first, THEN increase frequency

does having the two boxes literally a foot or two away from each other cause a problem for wifi reception?

idk, everything was going great for months after I switched to faster internet and now everything sucks again idgi

Two xboxes? It shouldn't but it could.

I've never had good success with Wifi compared to wired connections in any environment.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    SSDI actually has a hard cap where if you make too much money you don't count as disabled and are no longer eligible
    Inability to engage in substantial gainful activity means that if a person works, they earn less than a certain amount of money.
    spoilers: this is incredibly dumb and our benefits programs should not penalize people for working as much as they are able

SSDI isn't disability as you're probably thinking

SSDI is specifically an additional amount of money disabled people can get if they are both disabled AND unable to work
    SSI also has an income limit (although wages only count as half for the purpose of this limit), so I am not sure what disability benefits you are thinking of.

SSI has income limits but it is not a line you cross over from full to no benefits, it ramps down as you earn money and not a 1/1 rate
    This is correct, but SSI also has the substantial gainful activity limit when you first apply to be on it which is a hard limit and it is lower than the normal income limit once you are on SSI
    If an SSI applicant has monthly earnings of $1,170 or more in 2017, the applicant is considered to be engaging in “substantial gainful activity,” and won't be considered disabled. (...)
    However, after one month of receiving SSI benefits, an SSI recipient can work and make more than $1,170 without losing disability benefits (under Section 1619 of the Social Security Act), as long as the recipient is still considered disabled. But continuing SSI recipients are still bound by the $1,500 limit discussed above (if the recipient lives in a state that doesn't pay an SSI state supplement; in states that do pay the supplement, the limit may be higher). But remember, an SSI recipient's countable income will be deducted from his or her SSI payment, meaning that the SSI payment will be less than the full amount.

I don't think I ever said you can earn unlimited money and keep your SSI? It has a "Hard cut off" sure but if you're making $1 under that cutoff, you're only getting $1 in benefits a month

The ACA program I was discussing earlier literally can have thousands in benefits locked on either side of a single .001% of your income that if you pass, you lose them
    We're in agreement that hard limits are bad.

I don't think we are?

The sliding scale is like 2/1, that means at some point it ends but I think most people would agree that disability shouldn't give you benefits if you're making a lot of money?

I think most of us here would probably agree the current federal poverty limit is a hilarious mockery of reality (and all benefit programs use that as a guide), but that's a different thing entirely

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Just make jerky and say fuck the fridge

My problem with fridges is, how do we get the coolant? I imagine in an apocalypse situation you're going to have to use non-refrigerant systems, which I guess is not really a huge deal, but definitely a more intensive system.

If the Boxcar Children taught me anything, it is that you can store stuff behind a cold waterfall.

So just find one of those.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I'm trying to walk my two older dogs and it's taking forever because oh my, have you smelled the complex bouquet of this urine puddle, old bean?

Which is fine bc they're good doggos

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.

smoke curing is going to make a huge comeback I suppose

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Oh my god this calf Charlie horse why won't it stop

* rolls around in bed painfully*

• YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Eat the poor.

Eat the rich.

Fuck it, just start eating people. I'll tell you when to stop.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Fuck yeah jerky based life style!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

To whom it may concern of the fabled NY PAers (Variable Hakkekage Deebaser specifically I think mm hmmm'd me last year), the foolish woman who I tricked into marrying me and I are going to be in NYC the night of the 23rd - 26th (Thur - Sun). We're seeing Hamilton Friday night (#humblebrag) but other than that we don't have hard and fast plans.

I DON'T EVEN WANT TO SEE YOUR FACE

(what time are you seeing Hamilton)

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    So AH is going to be the hunter

and the rest of us are going to make wacky electrical grids to power our automated turrets and cool some food

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

My only concern is that we must have sterling engines because they're cool and they look like steampunk contraptions

override367 on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    a
    Delmain wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I honestly didn't know Trudeau was not beloved. That is definitely not the narrative spun in the states

He's beloved by some. In a lot of ways he's like Obama; to some people he's like the fucking Second Coming, pinning all their progressive hopes on him to fix everything even though he's a centrist who won't actually do very much in the way of progressive policy.

For those of us on the Actual Left, we're like "don't believe his lies" and scowl hard at the rest of the world giving him a handy, especially on such hard hitting political analysis as "is pretty"

I'd give my left nut to have a centrist who is an enemy of perfect.

Yeah well, in Canada I don't have to settle.

I'm sorry things are like they are in the US. I genuinely am. I understand the "must be nice to have a genuine left wing" sentiment.

But it's really frustrating to see that sort of mentality infect my own countrymen, who are just happy Trudeau isn't Harper and I'm like

Jesus fuck you can do better, we are not our southern neighbors, not yet

Go back to the election, though. Who would have been better? If anything, I'm disappointed they didn't end up with a minority government, but generally speaking I'm pretty pleased with how things worked out.

I like how we started out the election with everyone being all, "YEAH NDP! NEW FUTURE FOR CANADA! WOOOO!"

And then over the course of the campaign the numbers kept slipping as Muclair slowly peeled back the flesh to reveal he was actually a poop golem masquerading as a human being all along. And all the die hard labor supporters couldn't for the life of them figure-out what was happening.

Sigh.

I honestly don't know what I would've preferred. I was thinking that Trudeau was the best selection because of election reform, but of course he bailed on that shit the moment he felt it was convenient to do so. Mulcair would've just cemented the NDP into another rote token 'left' party if he was elected, though, aiming to look oh so srs bsns rather than delivering actual socialism, so that probably wouldn't have been good either. And he wouldn't have been contested out of leadership because, hey, he won!

:|

Getting me back on the NDP bandwagon would be a long, hard haul. Layton almost did it, which is just one of the reasons I have always had so much respect for him. But Mulcair didn't deserve to carry Jack's jockstrap, as the saying goes.

All it really took were the debates, for me. I knew Trudeau wasn't feeding us whole truths, and I'm disappointed about electoral reform as much as anyone else is (though I don't think the book is wholly closed in that regard), but watching those three on stage (four, when they deigned to invite May along) was watching the buffoon on the left, the scaremonger on the right, and the only rational-sounding human being standing center stage.

human nature is f'ing awful

electoral reform is only as hard as it is to do because the people that have to do it don't want to make it harder for them to keep their jobs

And the reason we're (most of us) craving it so desperately is that we're like 99% sure it would ensure left-leaning policy up here in perpetuity :P

The right-leaning parties only get into party with minority governments or due to mathematical error

I think, much like moonlight on Barbarossa & his men, electoral reform would reveal a lot of 'liberals' for what they are as they go ahead and caucus with the right wing due to the change in power dynamics. I view this as a value add.

Left wing parties probably wouldn't hold sway forever, but politics would probably become less absolutist & polarizing because nobody is fighting for complete & absolute government control anymore.

With Love and Courage
    and also like, oh no our generator is broken

well, our watermill is still rotating so we can still grind stuff or saw stuff or chop stuff, no biggie

plus complete conversion of power generation is as easy as moving a set of gears

Eat the poor.

Eat the rich.

LOVETT:
    It's priest. Have a little priest.
    TODD:
    Is it really good?
    LOVETT:
    Sir, it's too good, at least!
    Then again, they don't commit sins of the flesh,
    So it's pretty fresh.
    TODD:
    Awful, lot of fat.
    LOVETT:
    Only where it sat.
    TODD:
    Haven't you got poet, or something like that?
    LOVETT:
    No, y'see, the trouble with poet is
    How do you know it's deceased?
    Try the priest!

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Eat the poor.

Eat the rich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I96RZh8108o

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »

To whom it may concern of the fabled NY PAers (Variable Hakkekage Deebaser specifically I think mm hmmm'd me last year), the foolish woman who I tricked into marrying me and I are going to be in NYC the night of the 23rd - 26th (Thur - Sun). We're seeing Hamilton Friday night (#humblebrag) but other than that we don't have hard and fast plans.

I DON'T EVEN WANT TO SEE YOUR FACE

(what time are you seeing Hamilton)

murder and wear his face?
    great idea

Bless your heart.
This discussion has been closed.