As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat [chat]

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    i get overwhelmed with games cuz i always want to be very good at things i do, and win, but i look at the game and think ok this is all the stuff you'd have to know and think about to win, count these cards, think about this vs that, etc and i get overwhelmed and quit

quitting because you're not good eh

*pulls up jakes file*

*writes furiously*

oh no im amazing at everything

im just not the best

AND I GOTTA BE THE BEST

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • porpporp Registered User regular
    LZJrzsWl.jpg

Oh For Fox Sake

New fave coffee mug.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Ugh just dropped oily potato salad on my favorite work shirt

Rip

Infract yourself or god

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    The game consists of several deals[5] each progressing through four phases. The cards are dealt to the players, and then the players auction or bid to take the contract specifying how many tricks their partnership receiving the contract needs to take to receive points for the deal. It is during the auction where partners communicate information about their hand, including its overall strength and the length of its suits, although similar conventions for use during play exist. The cards are then played, the declaring side trying to fulfill the contract, and the defenders trying to stop the declaring side from its goal. The deal is scored based on the number of tricks taken, the contract, and various other factors based on the variation played.[6]

...this is nonsense

okay now that you have that down let me tell you about TEGWAR

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure learning how to play Euchre saved me from a bunch of racism when I was growing up. I mean, I still experienced a lot of it (some of it positive, lol model minority), but Euchre was one of the many ways I was able to "blend in". "Hey, the *slur for Asian person* is okay, he's good at Euchre." That sort of thing.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    @Ludious

see above for an example of why i hate puns

they surround my life cuz porp loves them

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Ok when I get home I need to put like baking soda on this or something right

Siiiiigh

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Trump's tweets about meeting with CEOs and stuff keep calling them "listening sessions" which seems really weird?

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Basically what I'm saying is that playing Coup in multiple groups is probably pretty unhelpful in grasping the strategy of the game, because of the different metagames. Winky's friends do a lot of bluffing the Duke early, like Hahnsoo mentioned. My sister's group apparently will assassinate as soon as they have three coins. Me and porp and Landshark do a lot of bluffing around the Ambassador, weirdly. Each of those metagames requires different strategies to navigate, so if you're hopping between them and only playing a few rounds in each, you're probably just going to get really confused.

vRyue2p.png
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Chanus post something about Riker so I can clear this gif from my open tabs please

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Chanus post something about Riker so I can clear this gif from my open tabs please

but i'm not watching right now

and the last ep i watched wasn't a riker ep

what am i supposed to just improvise

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    it's simple

seven tricks is a book

you need to make your contract to get points below the line

every trick above your contract is extra points but they go above the line

if your opponents force you to not make your contract they get points above the line, if they double you, they can earn extra points for thwarting you in the effort to reach your contract

no points above the line are counted until the end of that game, at the end of that game,

*goes on and on and on*

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    it is intimidating to play boardgames with people are way more experienced/cerebral than you

you're sitting there like let's see, should i buy this green mana card

and shark is like i mean does it really matter, there are 14 remaining cards in the deck and 12 will provide you with the same combat power for the next turn

and i'm like o-oh yeah i uh, yes i knew that

*using calculator under table*

I dislike playing board games with people who study every aspect of a board game so that they can tell what people are doing when they do it.

I get angry with some D&D friends sometimes because they'll spend like 40 minutes figuring out how to safely open a door and I'm usually a warrior or ranger and I'm just like "I can take the damage this isn't the tomb of fucking horrors just let me kick the door in assholes!"

That's different. There's this shadow hunter game someone in our group loves to play, but he knows literally everything about the game, so you can't use the special powers while he's around or he immediately will know what you are.

It's annoying.

But yeah I doubt shark is one of those types of people, I just hate playing with those types, it's boring.

But in Shadow Hunters, as soon as you use your power, your identity gets revealed...

Only if everyone has memorized who and what all the powers correspond to. There's only like 1 person that has to reveal their identity and I think it's one of the hunters when they use their heal ability.
    Erm, no. This may be a difference in editions/errata, but you explicitly have to reveal if you want to use your power. You can reveal without using your power at any time, but in order to use your power, you have to reveal (unless you are Daniel or Unknown).

That's definitely not in the one I'm playing.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Chanus wrote: »

but i'm not watching right now

and the last ep i watched wasn't a riker ep

what am i supposed to just improvise

Okay you're right I'll keep it open until later tonight

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    This bag was like $25 on Amazon and I figured it would be perfect to hold my blackpowder goods so I'm not constantly looking for table space.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001I15G4K/

I bought it.

It's the blunderbag

are YOU on the beer list?
    That was selfish of me.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    If I can hear a co-worker walking into the office over my music and headphones, can I ask them to pick up their feet when they walk?

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    it's simple

seven tricks is a book

if your opponents force you to not make your contract they get points above the line, if they double you, they can earn extra points for thwarting you in the effort to reach your contract

no points above the line are counted until the end of that game, at the end of that game,

*goes on and on and on*

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    fuck it I can't be arsed

ftOqU21.png
    I really think [chat] should try out Don't Mess With Cthulhu, as far as social deduction/bluffing games. Even when your identity is revealed as a cultist (usually a pseudo "end state" for most bluffing games... when you are discovered as a traitor), you still have options (essentially, you start bluffing the opposite of what you did before you were revealed), and there's incentive for investigators to actually bluff as cultists on occasion (at the very least, to get the flashlight "my turn" token away from a cultist). It's also extremely simple, and lends itself to building a meta-game similar to Coup. You can be a terrible bluffer and still have agency.

My only problem with it is a problem that I have with all social deduction games... namely, the decision-maker is only one person every play (but control of this token is passed with every play), which means 90% of the gameplay is yelling/arguing to convince the decision-maker.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • porpporp Registered User regular
    If I can hear a co-worker walking into the office over my music and headphones, can I ask them to pick up their feet when they walk?

Was it Shark? He walks like an elephant. Drives me nuts.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Also I think Coup strategy is very different depending on group size. If it's three players, I like to appear weak early so the other two focus on each other more. If I'm down a card, and the other two aren't, it's pretty dumb for one of them to spend all their resources to eliminate me because then they're way behind in the resulting two-player contest. In a four player game, though, that can be catastrophic, because eliminating me brings it to a three player game, so it's not a huge risk.

vRyue2p.png
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    porp wrote: »

Was it Shark? He walks like an elephant. Drives me nuts.
    This person wears boots and CLOMP SLAM CLOMP like every day for two years
    and maybe it is time I say something

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I like that @tapeslinger has been in chat all day subtly agreeing and faving stuff, it's like "I'm always watching"

are YOU on the beer list?
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    it's simple

seven tricks is a book

*goes on and on and on*

My life in a nutshell.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Page 6 featured my kiddo's first warning.

The 500kb limit reaps all souls in the end.

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    it's simple

seven tricks is a book

*goes on and on and on*

Bridge occupies a different cultural space than dweeby euro-games and a lot of people one or two generations older know how to play.

Bridge is the best

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    its better than someone asking me to play civ 4 and asking me to explain it and I am like

why, it's simple

TURN ON GRID MODE

*explains the entire game for two hours*

I love that they have an open box of "Ticket to Ride", too. :D That's hilarious.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Since I snuck in last year and said I wouldn't this year:

To whom it may concern of the fabled NY PAers (Variable @Hakkekage Deebaser specifically I think mm hmmm'd me last year), the foolish woman who I tricked into marrying me and I are going to be in NYC the night of the 23rd - 26th (Thur - Sun). We're seeing Hamilton Friday night (#humblebrag) but other than that we don't have hard and fast plans.

I DON'T EVEN WANT TO SEE YOUR FACE

(what time are you seeing Hamilton)

Its the price you pay for seeing the rest of me!

8p Friday, I'm going to work from the hotel (Broadway between 54th and 55th st) until like lunch on Friday.

Restoring batsignal since I realized I didn't respond for like 3 hours

@PantsB would you prefer a quick lunch or a more lackadaisical after-work-before-Hamilton dinner

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    Oh man, Hahnsoo I got a pretty good reservation time assigned to me (3:30ish Eastern) for hotels at GenCon, and then COMPLETELY forgot about it on Sunday. So now I'm stuck in a motel outside the city like the past two years. :(

vRyue2p.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    LZJrzsWl.jpg

Oh For Fox Sake

New fave coffee mug.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kb0kiiB3O-o

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    you can play bridge if you're not an old lady?

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    LZJrzsWl.jpg

Oh For Fox Sake

New fave coffee mug.

fosssssssssss

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    Of course I understand that if *I* advocate for bridge it essentially becomes a dweeby euro-game but imagine it is someone's grandmother doing so

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Also I think Coup strategy is very different depending on group size. If it's three players, I like to appear weak early so the other two focus on each other more. If I'm down a card, and the other two aren't, it's pretty dumb for one of them to spend all their resources to eliminate me because then they're way behind in the resulting two-player contest. In a four player game, though, that can be catastrophic, because eliminating me brings it to a three player game, so it's not a huge risk.

All I know about coup is that I rolled into Delmain's spot at PAX while barely remembering the rules, scalped everyone, and dropped the mic.

spool32 on
    Oh man, Hahnsoo I got a pretty good reservation time assigned to me (3:30ish Eastern) for hotels at GenCon, and then COMPLETELY forgot about it on Sunday. So now I'm stuck in a motel outside the city like the past two years. :(

3.30 was not a good reservation time. Every hotel inside the city was booked by then.

Booo. :( Sorry to hear that. We got a hotel, but not a skywalk one. GenCon has gotten so big. :(

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Ticket to ride is weirdly non-social

Whenever I've played it in a group it's always ended up with people sitting in silence concentrating intensely on their hand

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    it's simple

seven tricks is a book

*goes on and on and on*
    This seems like part of something that could make sense.

This discussion has been closed.