As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat [chat]

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I definitely learned bridge step by step

to me, the first and most important part was knowing how to play your hand, there are ten ways to fuck yourself if you play a no trump hand without thinking it out or having power cards, if one of the other players has a hand that's like ... seven or eight spades, they can run the table dry and then try to win the hand back and if you can't trump their spades throwing off suit is just dumping tricks into their hand.

Knowing how to play the cards is way more important than always going for the big dick swinging six spades bids.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Ok, finally, steps that worked.

Restore from backup.
    Set up, skipping wifi, Apple ID and iCloud password entries.
    Hit "Not Now" a billion times to make the "You haven't interfaced with the Apple hivemind" prompts go away.
    Disable iCloud contact backups.
    Connect to wifi.
    Enter iCloud password.
    Enable iCloud contact backups.
    Select "Merge".

Because otherwise, Apparently Apple thinks when you already have a huge list of contacts on your phone and log into iCloud with contacts backup already enabled it means "Completely wipe those and replace it with the list in iCloud."

nibXTE7.png
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I love that they have an open box of "Ticket to Ride", too. :D That's hilarious.

The actual article uses Pandemic in its example, which I didn't know when I pulled up that tweet and then clicked the article to read aloud to make fun of my half-hearted attempt to convince a girl who professed to Dislike board games to not leave a party so that she could stay and be our fourth person in our Pandemic Legacy game. Was pretty great when I got to the part where it starts doing literally exactly the same sales pitch I was doing about exactly the same game.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    spool32 wrote: »
    Also I think Coup strategy is very different depending on group size. If it's three players, I like to appear weak early so the other two focus on each other more. If I'm down a card, and the other two aren't, it's pretty dumb for one of them to spend all their resources to eliminate me because then they're way behind in the resulting two-player contest. In a four player game, though, that can be catastrophic, because eliminating me brings it to a three player game, so it's not a huge risk.

All I know about coup is that I rolled into Delmain's spot at PAX while barely remembering the rules, scalped everyone, and dropped the mic.

I also did this my first time ever playing Mario kart

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Oh man, Hahnsoo I got a pretty good reservation time assigned to me (3:30ish Eastern) for hotels at GenCon, and then COMPLETELY forgot about it on Sunday. So now I'm stuck in a motel outside the city like the past two years. :(

We were in chat pointing out what other travel services were saying they had hotel space. You could have gotten something within five miles.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    The worst part of Euchre is learning the stupid rules about the Jacks. Why the hell is a Jack the most powerful card, but only when it's on suit, but when it's not, it's nearly worthless unless it's the same color as the suit?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I definitely learned bridge step by step

to me, the first and most important part was knowing how to play your hand, there are ten ways to fuck yourself if you play a no trump hand without thinking it out or having power cards, if one of the other players has a hand that's like ... seven or eight spades, they can run the table dry and then try to win the hand back and if you can't trump their spades throwing off suit is just dumping tricks into their hand.

Knowing how to play the cards is way more important than always going for the big dick swinging six spades bids.

It helps to have a history of other traditional trick-taking card games; Spades especially. If people bring that knowledge to the table they probably already know how to count cards and are relatively thoughtful about how to play.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I love that they have an open box of "Ticket to Ride", too. :D That's hilarious.

The actual article uses Pandemic in its example, which I didn't know when I pulled up that tweet and then clicked the article to read aloud to make fun of my half-hearted attempt to convince a girl who professed to Dislike board games to not leave a party so that she could stay and be our fourth person in our Pandemic Legacy game. Was pretty great when I got to the part where it starts doing literally exactly the same sales pitch I was doing about exactly the same game.

She did go home though.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Oh man, Hahnsoo I got a pretty good reservation time assigned to me (3:30ish Eastern) for hotels at GenCon, and then COMPLETELY forgot about it on Sunday. So now I'm stuck in a motel outside the city like the past two years. :(

3.30 was not a good reservation time. Every hotel inside the city was booked by then.

Oh okay. Well I feel less bad then.

vRyue2p.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

She did go home though.

we know KP

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Booo. :( Sorry to hear that. We got a hotel, but not a skywalk one. GenCon has gotten so big. :(

Well it's the 50th Anniversary, so it's going to be a lot bigger this year than usual. Next year it should be less hectic, I'd imagine.

vRyue2p.png
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Ticket to ride is weirdly non-social

Whenever I've played it in a group it's always ended up with people sitting in silence concentrating intensely on their hand

When play there's plenty of talking

mostly

"wake up it's your dang turn"

and

"FUCK YOU KNEW I WANTED THAT LINE"

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Thomamelas wrote: »

We were in chat pointing out what other travel services were saying they had hotel space. You could have gotten something within five miles.

I mean, I didn't book until like 2am Monday morning, I was probably beyond help at that point.

vRyue2p.png
    like, alright, there are fourteen spades cards, and I have eight of them

ace, queen, jack, 9, 8, 7, 6, 2

that's great, you think, but someone likely has protected king and will try to hold onto it with dear life to stop you. protected king and protected queen are great stoppers. You MIGHT get lucky and run into a situation where the person only has ONE spade and its the king, so it can go one of two ways

You throw the ace

you see a three, a four, your ace and a ten

fuck, protected king, but now you can account for 11 spades. If you throw another spade, you might see the end of all spades, even if you aren't going to win the trick. If you have another ace, this is fine because you can get the game back in your hand at some point. If not? Not much you can do.

Every trick counts. Gotta think ahead.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Ticket to Ride had me coining TyCo my evil conglomerate and then "Train Blocking" (TM) my girlfriend endlessly so she could not build any routes.

I have never been defeated at 1v1 Ticket to Ride.

Two girlfriends defeated!

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I like that @tapeslinger has been in chat all day subtly agreeing and faving stuff, it's like "I'm always watching"

I'm like ceiling cat tbh

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    THIS UNCHECKED AGGRESSION WILL NOT STAND

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

that's great, you think, but someone likely has protected king and will try to hold onto it with dear life to stop you. protected king and protected queen are great stoppers. You MIGHT get lucky and run into a situation where the person only has ONE spade and its the king, so it can go one of two ways

You throw the ace

fuck, protected king, but now you can account for 11 spades. If you throw another spade, you might see the end of all spades, even if you aren't going to win the trick. If you have another ace, this is fine because you can get the game back in your hand at some point. If not? Not much you can do.

i'm sorry i was checking out this new fusion rifle i got and i lost you somewhere around "there are fourteen spades"

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    one of the PAs here sat in my office and talked to me for like 10 minutes

... in hindsight I think she was flirting with me?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Ticket to Ride had me coining TyCo my evil conglomerate and then "Train Blocking" (TM) my girlfriend endlessly so she could not build any routes.

I have never been defeated at 1v1 Ticket to Ride.

Two girlfriends defeated!

this is why one should play the Europe map

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    I like that tapeslinger has been in chat all day subtly agreeing and faving stuff, it's like "I'm always watching"

I'm like ceiling cat tbh

*slowly removes hands from pants*

You throw the ace

Are you talking about Bridge, but slightly changing numbers? Or are you talking about another trick taking game?

Because a book is 6 cards, not 7, and there are 13 of each suit, not 14.

But the rest of your posts sound like Bridge, and also you mention Bridge specifically, so I'm super confused.

vRyue2p.png
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    THIS UNCHECKED AGGRESSION WILL NOT STAND
    SILENCE JAILBIRD

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Well

Stephen King has joined the game of Hugely Successful Fiction Writers Rip on trump on Twitter

I was surprised to learn via one of trump's responses that he actually knows the phrase 'ghost writer.'

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Page 6 featured my kiddo's first warning.

The 500kb limit reaps all souls in the end.

i think like 90% of my PMs to people are letting them know they went over the limit and might get infracted. I'm a hero.

You throw the ace

Are you talking about Bridge, but slightly changing numbers? Or are you talking about another trick taking game?

Because a book is 6 cards, not 7, and there are 13 of each suit, not 14.

But the rest of your posts sound like Bridge, and also you mention Bridge specifically, so I'm super confused.

a book is six, but you can't bid zero (suit) so a bid of ... like ... one (x) is 7 tricks. and yes 13 of each suit.

Like I said, I haven't played in a few years.

those sound like brain fart mistakes, p sure he's talking bridge

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    HA!

Fixed my laptop cord.

I'm basically an electrician.

Much like how I'm basically a bridge engineer.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I like that tapeslinger has been in chat all day subtly agreeing and faving stuff, it's like "I'm always watching"

I'm like ceiling cat tbh

I totally saw that tho
    you should probably put some lotion on that js

Chanus wrote: »

You throw the ace

i'm sorry i was checking out this new fusion rifle i got and i lost you somewhere around "there are fourteen spades"

i still chuckle every time i remember this

@cb557

I'm not trying to be like AHA GOTCHA I just didn't know if you were doing a bit or something.

vRyue2p.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Well

Stephen King has joined the game of Hugely Successful Fiction Writers Rip on trump on Twitter

I was surprised to learn via one of trump's responses that he actually knows the phrase 'ghost writer.'

well he should after everyone shat on him for the art of the deal because he didn't actually write it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    realtalk tho @amateurhour assuming the universe doesn't collapse between now and June you should like, apply for VP21 and stuff

I'm not trying to be like AHA GOTCHA I just didn't know if you were doing a bit or something.

that's my secret, Captain

it's always a bit

*turns into the hulk*

Anyway I fucking love Bridge.

vRyue2p.png
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    A heartfelt message to the development staff my company

https://media.giphy.com/media/z4bSS0lckZ53q/giphy.gif

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Well

well he should after everyone shat on him for the art of the deal because he didn't actually write it

I'm just... I feel like an American President should at least come across as more more intelligent than a writer of children's books and a writer of pop horror

But... fuck no. This guy just sounds like a fairly advanced middle-schooler

Sad

• Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    my room for gencon is paid for by Paizo this year.

-vibrates quite porpoisely-

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

I'm like ceiling cat tbh

She's here to monitor me for later punishment

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Well

I think King has been on that since before election day

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
This discussion has been closed.