As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat [chat]

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    I'm more confused by the idea that Rowling is a particularly good writer, tbh

she actually finished her damn series without an appreciable drop in quality which puts her head and shoulders above most Fantasy authors.

We're going to get the last game of thrones books when HL3 comes out

and they'll both be remembered alongside Duke Nukem Forever.

yeah its a shame DNF never came out

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    AH HA

now we see the true state of affairs

outlet faceplate just laying on the fucking floor like a flop house

haha yeah the whole shit got fucked up after i had to have Comcast come rerun cable and he left it like that and im like fuck it i don't care anymore

a new plate is like $2 at the home depot man. like... 5 minutes on the way home from work & 5 minutes to install.

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    bam, first reference for my PE application down, two more to go. Gonna get that stamp, be all official and shit.

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Well

Stephen King has joined the game of Hugely Successful Fiction Writers Rip on trump on Twitter

I was surprised to learn via one of trump's responses that he actually knows the phrase 'ghost writer.'

well he should after everyone shat on him for the art of the deal because he didn't actually write it

I'm just... I feel like an American President should at least come across as more more intelligent than a writer of children's books and a writer of pop horror

But... fuck no. This guy just sounds like a fairly advanced middle-schooler

Sad

I think that's selling both King and Rowling short on their fiction.

Yeah I get the sentiment here but like I don't think we've had a president this century that could come across as more intelligent than King or Rowling.

Hard disagree

A: I am actually Stephen King's biggest fan

B: One of Barak Obama's greatest strengths was that he sounded both like an incredibly intelligent human being, but also sounded like a normal person. The "uhh's" humanized him while he was dropping the heaviest of science.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    @Hakkekage have you looked at commonwealth, by mit?

http://commonwealthcambridge.com/privateventscatering/

the prix fixe is 68 bucks (plus tax and gratuity i'm sure) and they have a ~30 person dining room

but it doesn't indicate what the room minimum is

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    more hot takes: DNF was a decently fun run-n-gun

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    bam, first reference for my PE application down, two more to go. Gonna get that stamp, be all official and shit.

DO WORK!! GET PROFESSIONAL SON!!

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    You know what card game is weirdly vicious?

Double Hearts

It's Hearts, but you play with two decks combined, and the same card on the same trick nullifies both.

So if I lead the King of Spades, and you play the Queen of Spades, and the guy after you plays the other King of Spades, our Kings don't count for that trick (although it's still a Spades trick) and your Queen is leading, so if the fourth guy scoots under your Queen, you take the trick.

This can make the game RUDE AS HELL. I play it with my wife and her family (who introduced it to me) and man I am glad we're all good sports about it because dang, shit gets real.

Let me tell you about a game called Blackout.

It's a trick taking game. You deal out 10 cards to each player (assuming you have 5 or fewer players). This leaves some number of cards left in the deck. You turn over the top card; whatever suit it is, that's trump.

Now everybody bids on how many tricks they'll take. To make your bid, you have to take exactly that number of tricks, no more, no fewer. If you make your bid, you get 10 points plus your bid. If you don't, you get zero points.

A bid of "zero" is allowed.

Bidding continues until you get to the last person (the dealer). Add up all the previous bids. If the total is fewer than the number of cards you dealt, subtract the total from the number of cards. The last player CANNOT bid that amount. This ensures that at least one person will get screwed every round.

Play according to the usual trick-taking card game rules with trump.

Check to see who made their bids, then write down the scores.

The dealer shifts to the left, and this time you deal only 9 cards. Repeat the above steps, and the next round you deal 8 cards. Continue with this until you only deal 1 card to each player. Then go back up to 10.

This game gets so brutal. You're never safe, even if you've already made your bid, because if you have middling cards like 8s, 9s, and 10s, you might accidentally take something if the other players decide to screw you or you get back luck. It gets really intense when the starting hand size is under 4. The above rule about the dealer not being able to bid an amount that would make the total bids equal to the number of cards comes up way more often than you'd think, especially with fewer cards.

So much fucking other people over. So much cursing.

vRyue2p.png
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Bostonians please recommend venues

Call the place mazzy linked, its legit.

It's $$$$, as much as Marliave

Actually less per the website but also don't trust the website. Contact, give info, see what they say and if they can give you a deal.

There is food & bev minimum that will put it over the top. Am calling now.

What $ limits are ppl generally comfortable with?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    @Hakkekage have you looked at commonwealth, by mit?

http://commonwealthcambridge.com/privateventscatering/

the prix fixe is 68 bucks (plus tax and gratuity i'm sure) and they have a ~30 person dining room

but it doesn't indicate what the room minimum is

That's not the place from last year right because I will withdraw from the dinner quicker than you can say gaza strip

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    lol so my gf's job will pay for her to become a notary

I want there to do it just so I can get EVERYTHING notarized

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    PantsB wrote: »

Actually less per the website but also don't trust the website. Contact, give info, see what they say and if they can give you a deal.

the highest it ever was when i hosted was i think 80 bucks? plus some ambiguous amount more diffused around the room in alcohol to hit the minimum, but we could have easily hit it even with some people ordering no drinks

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »

"Notarize my dick please."

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

Double Hearts

It's Hearts, but you play with two decks combined, and the same card on the same trick nullifies both.

So if I lead the King of Spades, and you play the Queen of Spades, and the guy after you plays the other King of Spades, our Kings don't count for that trick (although it's still a Spades trick) and your Queen is leading, so if the fourth guy scoots under your Queen, you take the trick.

This can make the game RUDE AS HELL. I play it with my wife and her family (who introduced it to me) and man I am glad we're all good sports about it because dang, shit gets real.

It's a trick taking game. You deal out 10 cards to each player (assuming you have 5 or fewer players). This leaves some number of cards left in the deck. You turn over the top card; whatever suit it is, that's trump.

Now everybody bids on how many tricks they'll take. To make your bid, you have to take exactly that number of tricks, no more, no fewer. If you make your bid, you get 10 points plus your bid. If you don't, you get zero points.

Bidding continues until you get to the last person (the dealer). Add up all the previous bids. If the total is fewer than the number of cards you dealt, subtract the total from the number of cards. The last player CANNOT bid that amount. This ensures that at least one person will get screwed every round.

The dealer shifts to the left, and this time you deal only 9 cards. Repeat the above steps, and the next round you deal 8 cards. Continue with this until you only deal 1 card to each player. Then go back up to 10.

This game gets so brutal. You're never safe, even if you've already made your bid, because if you have middling cards like 8s, 9s, and 10s, you might accidentally take something if the other players decide to screw you or you get back luck. It gets really intense when the starting hand size is under 4. The above rule about the dealer not being able to bid an amount that would make the total bids equal to the number of cards comes up way more often than you'd think, especially with fewer cards.

This was a lot of fun the one time i played it but we didnt finish cuz porp lost interest halfway

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Well

Stephen King has joined the game of Hugely Successful Fiction Writers Rip on trump on Twitter

I was surprised to learn via one of trump's responses that he actually knows the phrase 'ghost writer.'

That wasn't real trump.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Say what you will about the associated dangers, but finding where the break is in a hot wire is a lot easier than when you cut the power off to it

the place with the unexpected karaoke was abigail's. strong do not recommend

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

@Mazzyx ahem I was totally correct

For a 3 course: $105/person, PLUS 7% tax, 20% grat, 7% admin fee, and $3000 minimum is....*drumroll* $144/person BEFORE the $25/person drink average

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Several friends in the Chicago area were posting on Facebook last night that contacts within ICE were doing a crackdown today.

Obviously this is still third/fourth hand information, but there seems like an awful lot of it.

vRyue2p.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

Type up a forum post saying "u suck" to someone on a typewriter, get the hard copy notarized, scan, and post scanned image of the note

Double Hearts

This was a lot of fun the one time i played it but we didnt finish cuz porp lost interest halfway

fuckin' porp

vRyue2p.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

the highest it ever was when i hosted was i think 80 bucks? plus some ambiguous amount more diffused around the room in alcohol to hit the minimum, but we could have easily hit it even with some people ordering no drinks

LOL I completely forgot last year's cash counting fiasco

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

fuckin' porp
    I'm amused that this could either be a curse or the act that Shark was describing...

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

I'm trying to aim for $70 prix fixe alone (base + grat and fees) + a reasonable $30-40 max average/person in drinks since that was the standard in previous years

However since our party isn't massive this year it's going to be harder to pin down to this

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Notaries get a cool crimper to crimp things with

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    A couple of my friends are in that spot where like, their SO expects them to be an instant and guaranteed ally in all card and board games and will get genuinely upset if that implicit trust is betrayed

Whereas my wife and I realize we are probably each others' most dangerous foe at the table and will go for the jugular ASAP, and will form alliances with other players against each other.

Only in games that are explicitly cooperative for the entire table(Arkham Horror, for example) do we ever team up, because even in team-based games we realise that allying with each other is actually kinda unfair to everyone else.

My wife and I were allies in a game of Risk Legacy and were demolishing the board and it was my turn and I was like just a sec I gotta check something and I was fiddling on my phone

And she was like ARE YOU QUEUEING UP RAINS OF CASTAMERE ON YOUR FUCKING PHONE YOU BASTARD

and I was like

...no

(yes i was)

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    srsly thinking about putting some purple in my hair

only my hair is dyed auburn that isnt going to come out so i dont know how that would look

i kind of want to stay auburn but i guess i'm not opposed to going back to brown if it meant i got to have purple too

i like something like this

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/dc/c2/13/dcc2130e41d6c15e693cf39c7ecf39cb.jpg

the auburn would be easier to do that purple over tho

you think so?

hmmm

if you dye back to a darker color first it'll stress out the hair and make it harder to take the bright color later

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

you can just buy a notary stamp you know

nobody cares

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies

your wife saved me like 400 dollars

i had been drinking a lot and really wanted to have everything over with and i was like ok we hit the number right?

and she's like no! we have enough to settle our tab but we're supposed to be 400 over because you put down a deposit! you need to get paid back for that right

*nods gratefully*

Last year was the worst fancy dinner ever and I haven't even been to them all but I can still guarantee it

fucking washed out 40 something white dude belting out bad karaoke, hoping to even get a drop of moisture on his dry, cracked dick

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Dogs

Cats

Por que no los dos

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

for what

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular

Double Hearts

can confirm
    we played this with VH and his sister at New Years
    it's fuckin brutal

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

for what
    fancy karaoke

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

What a fucking prick

I will go out of my way to betray chelle in board/card games

absolutely my first target

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

your wife saved me like 400 dollars

i had been drinking a lot and really wanted to have everything over with and i was like ok we hit the number right?

and she's like no! we have enough to settle our tab but we're supposed to be 400 over because you put down a deposit! you need to get paid back for that right

*nods gratefully*

I have a hard time not judging when i hear about these outings and somehow the bill is massively short

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    then once we settled up on the cash our dopey, super high looking waiter took it all 'to the office' and was in there for like 15 fucking minutes and i was like oh my god and then he came out and said 'it's 2,300 dollars, right' or whatever and i said yes and he said ok and i said bye you fucking idiot

or something like that

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I used to play a HUmar, and my cousin used a RAmar. Now's I think about it, both of those were kind of trainingwheel-classes that let you test things and take a few extra hits, but are pretty lackluster overall.
    My younger cousin went for the biggest glass-cannon FOnewearl in the universe, though.

This discussion has been closed.