As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat [chat]

• YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Nope, fucking done. Developers are making me fucking apoplectic today.

• ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    ludious pls be nice tnks

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Last year was the worst fancy dinner ever and I haven't even been to them all but I can still guarantee it

fucking washed out 40 something white dude belting out bad karaoke, hoping to even get a drop of moisture on his dry, cracked dick

I thought bel came with spool last year

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    I will go out of my way to betray chelle in board/card games

absolutely my first target

feelings mutual

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Bostonians please recommend venues

Call the place mazzy linked, its legit.

It's $$$$, as much as Marliave

Actually less per the website but also don't trust the website. Contact, give info, see what they say and if they can give you a deal.

There is food & bev minimum that will put it over the top. Am calling now.

Mazzyx ahem I was totally correct

For a 3 course: $105/person, PLUS 7% tax, 20% grat, 7% admin fee, and $3000 minimum is....*drumroll* $144/person BEFORE the $25/person drink average

It was worth a shot to try and to see if they would cut a deal or not.

Place is legit tasty and kind of fancy which is why we thought it would work. But it don't, so whatevs.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    A couple of my friends are in that spot where like, their SO expects them to be an instant and guaranteed ally in all card and board games and will get genuinely upset if that implicit trust is betrayed

Whereas my wife and I realize we are probably each others' most dangerous foe at the table and will go for the jugular ASAP, and will form alliances with other players against each other.

Only in games that are explicitly cooperative for the entire table(Arkham Horror, for example) do we ever team up, because even in team-based games we realise that allying with each other is actually kinda unfair to everyone else.

My wife and I were allies in a game of Risk Legacy and were demolishing the board and it was my turn and I was like just a sec I gotta check something and I was fiddling on my phone

And she was like ARE YOU QUEUEING UP RAINS OF CASTAMERE ON YOUR FUCKING PHONE YOU BASTARD

and I was like

...no

(yes i was)

I remember playing ... I think it was Carcassonne? with you, Aaron, and Cass.

And you and I realized in the same instance that Aaron was in a really strong position to win

And from that point on it wasn't about winning for us, but about stifling Aaron wherever and whenever we could.

Inevitably our accidental cooperation meant you ended up winning, but I was perfectly satisfied with that outcome :P

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    ludious pls be nice tnks

????? to you in a card game?

hahahahahahaha no

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

for what

the thing with the guy

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular

this is at least the second time he's saying it, it's not a surprise

and he's already confirmed that he basically masturbates about how saying that kinda thing makes him look

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    A couple of my friends are in that spot where like, their SO expects them to be an instant and guaranteed ally in all card and board games and will get genuinely upset if that implicit trust is betrayed

Whereas my wife and I realize we are probably each others' most dangerous foe at the table and will go for the jugular ASAP, and will form alliances with other players against each other.

Only in games that are explicitly cooperative for the entire table(Arkham Horror, for example) do we ever team up, because even in team-based games we realise that allying with each other is actually kinda unfair to everyone else.

My wife and I were allies in a game of Risk Legacy and were demolishing the board and it was my turn and I was like just a sec I gotta check something and I was fiddling on my phone

And she was like ARE YOU QUEUEING UP RAINS OF CASTAMERE ON YOUR FUCKING PHONE YOU BASTARD

and I was like

...no

(yes i was)

Playing with porp and Landshark is great, because she'll go after him not even as a strategic move but just because she wants him to lose.

When I say "great" I mean "great for me", of course.

vRyue2p.png
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

for what

dumping tea and beating homeless with red sox themed louisville sluggers

Bless your heart.
    ludious pls be nice tnks

hahahahahahaha no

no about fancy dinner

jerk

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »

Actually less per the website but also don't trust the website. Contact, give info, see what they say and if they can give you a deal.

What $ limits are ppl generally comfortable with?

the highest it ever was when i hosted was i think 80 bucks? plus some ambiguous amount more diffused around the room in alcohol to hit the minimum, but we could have easily hit it even with some people ordering no drinks

LOL I completely forgot last year's cash counting fiasco

your wife saved me like 400 dollars

i had been drinking a lot and really wanted to have everything over with and i was like ok we hit the number right?

and she's like no! we have enough to settle our tab but we're supposed to be 400 over because you put down a deposit! you need to get paid back for that right

*nods gratefully*

I have a hard time not judging when i hear about these outings and somehow the bill is massively short

there is a downside and an upside

the downside is jeez, people :< i think it's mostly people being thoughtless vs dodging the bill, but they're order a few drinks and be like 'eh a 20 should cover it' or something and then you compound that fifteen times or something

the upside is i've never once been left holding a huge tab. people (puppies, sig, will, dk, et al) always step up and kick in extra so i don't get fucked over. it's a shame it happens in the first place tho

of the 4? times i held it, i think only once did the tab come out perfect with no one kicking in extra

then once we settled up on the cash our dopey, super high looking waiter took it all 'to the office' and was in there for like 15 fucking minutes and i was like oh my god and then he came out and said 'it's 2,300 dollars, right' or whatever and i said yes and he said ok and i said bye you fucking idiot

or something like that

Only after my wife and Hakkes counted it like 3 times a piece in increasingly elaborate accounting systems as people realized it was time to pay and added their monies

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    ludious pls be nice tnks

hahahahahahaha no

no about fancy dinner

jerk

be nice? To Abigail's? Why? It's no one's fault that it turned out to be a focal point of some townie jizz leyline

i didnt think we were ever super short

we were several times, multiple hundreds of dollars

we were several times, multiple hundreds of dollars

huh.

chelle's totally oblivious, whats new there?

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I hate it when I'm in a game of Risk or something and winning and someone's like "nah I don't want you to win" and ends up destroying themselves taking me down and so neither of us win. Why??

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    It actually took Cass and Choco off guard when we were first hanging out with them and playing board games

We were playing Twilight Imperium and Cass and Choco were allies and I was trying to convince Choco to ally with me against Wash, and he was considering my proposal and my wife was like "Don't believe his lies! His honeyed words are only to benefit him! If you move your armada to attack Wash your entire southern border is exposed and that's where Matt will roll right over you!"

I acted aghast at such an insinuation but mostly I was like damn it hun you're killing me here

And Cass was like "aren't... aren't you on his side?" and my wife let out an Edna Krabapple "HA!"

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    You know what card game is weirdly vicious?

Double Hearts

It's Hearts, but you play with two decks combined, and the same card on the same trick nullifies both.

So if I lead the King of Spades, and you play the Queen of Spades, and the guy after you plays the other King of Spades, our Kings don't count for that trick (although it's still a Spades trick) and your Queen is leading, so if the fourth guy scoots under your Queen, you take the trick.

This can make the game RUDE AS HELL. I play it with my wife and her family (who introduced it to me) and man I am glad we're all good sports about it because dang, shit gets real.

Let me tell you about a game called Blackout.

It's a trick taking game. You deal out 10 cards to each player (assuming you have 5 or fewer players). This leaves some number of cards left in the deck. You turn over the top card; whatever suit it is, that's trump.

Now everybody bids on how many tricks they'll take. To make your bid, you have to take exactly that number of tricks, no more, no fewer. If you make your bid, you get 10 points plus your bid. If you don't, you get zero points.

A bid of "zero" is allowed.

Bidding continues until you get to the last person (the dealer). Add up all the previous bids. If the total is fewer than the number of cards you dealt, subtract the total from the number of cards. The last player CANNOT bid that amount. This ensures that at least one person will get screwed every round.

Play according to the usual trick-taking card game rules with trump.

Check to see who made their bids, then write down the scores.

The dealer shifts to the left, and this time you deal only 9 cards. Repeat the above steps, and the next round you deal 8 cards. Continue with this until you only deal 1 card to each player. Then go back up to 10.

This game gets so brutal. You're never safe, even if you've already made your bid, because if you have middling cards like 8s, 9s, and 10s, you might accidentally take something if the other players decide to screw you or you get back luck. It gets really intense when the starting hand size is under 4. The above rule about the dealer not being able to bid an amount that would make the total bids equal to the number of cards comes up way more often than you'd think, especially with fewer cards.

So much fucking other people over. So much cursing.

Let me tell you about a game called Monopoly.

I will steal your money. I will take it from you, and then you will have less and I will have more for no legitimate reason.

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

and I was like

...no

(yes i was)

That is amazing. She looked down and realized you were wearing chainmail under your formal-wear and knew the jig was up.

ludious pls be nice tnks

hahahahahahaha no

no about fancy dinner

jerk

be nice? To Abigail's? Why? It's no one's fault that it turned out to be a focal point of some townie jizz leyline

hey hey hey

It was some gownie jizz leyline. Two of them at least were MIT profs

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I feel like fancy dinner two years ago where Deebs basically made everyone pay the pre fixe up front to him via paypal/venmo was a good idea. With how the place is set up we got separate drink tabs so you didn't play the game to run people down.

Abigals was a shit show due to random karaoke night that seemed to have forgotten to inform us that was occurring until they put a speaker next to Lud's head for some townie to sing into.

u7stthr17eud.png
    we need a clip board and a paper to sign

I, CHELLE PAID X DOLLARS

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I hate it when I'm in a game of Risk or something and winning and someone's like "nah I don't want you to win" and ends up destroying themselves taking me down and so neither of us win. Why??

I hate it when I'm in a game of Risk.

That's it. No story. I just hate Risk.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    my fondest memory is of my first fancy dinner, deebs counting money, barely containing a massive anxiety attack, the cracks in sanity apparent

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    You know what card game is weirdly vicious?

Double Hearts

It's Hearts, but you play with two decks combined, and the same card on the same trick nullifies both.

So if I lead the King of Spades, and you play the Queen of Spades, and the guy after you plays the other King of Spades, our Kings don't count for that trick (although it's still a Spades trick) and your Queen is leading, so if the fourth guy scoots under your Queen, you take the trick.

This can make the game RUDE AS HELL. I play it with my wife and her family (who introduced it to me) and man I am glad we're all good sports about it because dang, shit gets real.

Let me tell you about a game called Blackout.

It's a trick taking game. You deal out 10 cards to each player (assuming you have 5 or fewer players). This leaves some number of cards left in the deck. You turn over the top card; whatever suit it is, that's trump.

Now everybody bids on how many tricks they'll take. To make your bid, you have to take exactly that number of tricks, no more, no fewer. If you make your bid, you get 10 points plus your bid. If you don't, you get zero points.

A bid of "zero" is allowed.

Bidding continues until you get to the last person (the dealer). Add up all the previous bids. If the total is fewer than the number of cards you dealt, subtract the total from the number of cards. The last player CANNOT bid that amount. This ensures that at least one person will get screwed every round.

Play according to the usual trick-taking card game rules with trump.

Check to see who made their bids, then write down the scores.

The dealer shifts to the left, and this time you deal only 9 cards. Repeat the above steps, and the next round you deal 8 cards. Continue with this until you only deal 1 card to each player. Then go back up to 10.

This game gets so brutal. You're never safe, even if you've already made your bid, because if you have middling cards like 8s, 9s, and 10s, you might accidentally take something if the other players decide to screw you or you get back luck. It gets really intense when the starting hand size is under 4. The above rule about the dealer not being able to bid an amount that would make the total bids equal to the number of cards comes up way more often than you'd think, especially with fewer cards.

So much fucking other people over. So much cursing.

Let me tell you about a game called Monopoly.

I will steal your money. I will take it from you, and then you will have less and I will have more for no legitimate reason.

when people call you on it do you respond with

sheeeeeeit

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    It actually took Cass and Choco off guard when we were first hanging out with them and playing board games

We were playing Twilight Imperium and Cass and Choco were allies and I was trying to convince Choco to ally with me against Wash, and he was considering my proposal and my wife was like "Don't believe his lies! His honeyed words are only to benefit him! If you move your armada to attack Wash your entire southern border is exposed and that's where Matt will roll right over you!"

I acted aghast at such an insinuation but mostly I was like damn it hun you're killing me here

And Cass was like "aren't... aren't you on his side?" and my wife let out an Edna Krabapple "HA!"

vh is like, listen- i understand you think this is the right move. but it doesn't make sense to threaten me. do what you want of course, but if you look at the whole board you'll realize...

and part of me is like he is my friend i've played with his cat, he is just trying to teach me

and the other part is like, he is handing out blankets to indians this slimy little fuck

and I was like

...no

(yes i was)

Playing with porp and Landshark is great, because she'll go after him not even as a strategic move but just because she wants him to lose.

When I say "great" I mean "great for me", of course.

Yeah my beloved wife will do this to me as well, torpedo herself into me to prevent me from winning even if it's MAD for us.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    ludious pls be nice tnks

hahahahahahaha no

no about fancy dinner

jerk

hey hey hey

It was some gownie jizz leyline. Two of them at least were MIT profs

lud just hates boston's true essence

even like, kraft is a townie to him

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I hate it when I'm in a game of Risk.

That's it. No story. I just hate Risk.

loooool yessss

vRyue2p.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

What $ limits are ppl generally comfortable with?

the highest it ever was when i hosted was i think 80 bucks? plus some ambiguous amount more diffused around the room in alcohol to hit the minimum, but we could have easily hit it even with some people ordering no drinks

LOL I completely forgot last year's cash counting fiasco

your wife saved me like 400 dollars

i had been drinking a lot and really wanted to have everything over with and i was like ok we hit the number right?

and she's like no! we have enough to settle our tab but we're supposed to be 400 over because you put down a deposit! you need to get paid back for that right

*nods gratefully*

I have a hard time not judging when i hear about these outings and somehow the bill is massively short

there is a downside and an upside

the downside is jeez, people :< i think it's mostly people being thoughtless vs dodging the bill, but they're order a few drinks and be like 'eh a 20 should cover it' or something and then you compound that fifteen times or something

the upside is i've never once been left holding a huge tab. people (puppies, sig, will, dk, et al) always step up and kick in extra so i don't get fucked over. it's a shame it happens in the first place tho

of the 4? times i held it, i think only once did the tab come out perfect with no one kicking in extra

When bills are short I bristle in repressed agitation and immediately start handing out cash to try to mitigate the situation

But I'm always secretly mad because at this point in life with big groups I often put in an extra $10 or whatever in my initial cash and then we're still short

i am willing to bring a clipboard to pax

of course i am

BeNarwhal wrote: »

and I was like

...no

(yes i was)

I remember playing ... I think it was Carcassonne? with you, Aaron, and Cass.

And you and I realized in the same instance that Aaron was in a really strong position to win

And from that point on it wasn't about winning for us, but about stifling Aaron wherever and whenever we could.

Inevitably our accidental cooperation meant you ended up winning, but I was perfectly satisfied with that outcome :P

Fun fact: I was always planning to win, but I had to unite us in a suicide pact to get you to do your bit.

I feel like fancy dinner two years ago where Deebs basically made everyone pay the pre fixe up front to him via paypal/venmo was a good idea. With how the place is set up we got separate drink tabs so you didn't play the game to run people down.

Abigals was a shit show due to random karaoke night that seemed to have forgotten to inform us that was occurring until they put a speaker next to Lud's head for some townie to sing into.

I seriously hope all of those people never feel joy again

the edna crabapple 'ha' is what clinched that awesome

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    when i was like, 6, i was playing my dad in risk. we're like, 2 hours in, minimum. and my older sister got so frustrated we were apparently paying attention to the game and not her she just threw her blanket on the board, knocking all the pieces everywhere

i have never forgiven her

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Restaurant culture is so weird in the US.

When there are like 20 people at a table, the servers here still track individual bills (usually digitally) and people pay individually or ask for their bills to be joined up

Customers regularly ask for things to be divided equally, or some things to be divided while others are not, and all manner of arcade combinations

Then we just tip 20% for the hassle

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

We were playing Shadows over Camelot, and I was the traitor. The entire game I was advocating safe, less risky plays that would ultimately put us too far behind the curve to win (thus meaning I, the traitor, would win).

Every time I would suggest a safe move, my wife would yell HES THE TRAITOR DONT LISTEN TO HIM HES TRYING TO STALL US OUT and no one believed her

They executed someone else instead

She is still mad about it and not only never trusts me when we play board games, she tells everyone else not to trust me either.

Which is probably a wise move, because I'm generally never out to win board games, I'm just there to screw with other players and prevent other people from winning.

This discussion has been closed.