As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat [chat]

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    ludious pls be nice tnks

????? to you in a card game?

hahahahahahaha no

no about fancy dinner

jerk

be nice? To Abigail's? Why? It's no one's fault that it turned out to be a focal point of some townie jizz leyline

hey hey hey

It was some gownie jizz leyline. Two of them at least were MIT profs

lud just hates boston's true essence

even like, kraft is a townie to him
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8obtN1TnaEw

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    When bills are short I bristle in repressed agitation and immediately start handing out cash to try to mitigate the situation

But I'm always secretly mad because at this point in life with big groups I often put in an extra $10 or whatever in my initial cash and then we're still short

yeah it's really awks when you're trying to pocket some of the cash the others have chipped in and people keep wanting to like, recount the stack and you're like could I get my beak wet for 5 seconds over here without a bunch of accountants on my case jesus

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    ummmm I didn't have any alcohol I shouldn't have to split the bill equally here's the money for my food and soda

*doesn't leave money for tax, tip, or the five other cokes they had*

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I feel like fancy dinner two years ago where Deebs basically made everyone pay the pre fixe up front to him via paypal/venmo was a good idea. With how the place is set up we got separate drink tabs so you didn't play the game to run people down.

Abigals was a shit show due to random karaoke night that seemed to have forgotten to inform us that was occurring until they put a speaker next to Lud's head for some townie to sing into.

at least we got the joy of knowing ludious was most bothered by it

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I feel like fancy dinner two years ago where Deebs basically made everyone pay the pre fixe up front to him via paypal/venmo was a good idea. With how the place is set up we got separate drink tabs so you didn't play the game to run people down.

Abigals was a shit show due to random karaoke night that seemed to have forgotten to inform us that was occurring until they put a speaker next to Lud's head for some townie to sing into.

This was the biggest thing to me. It's not Abigail's's fault that the karaoke was bad. But they knew they had a giant group getting together for something and didn't inform us that Friday was karaoke night. Then everybody shows up in suits and nice dresses and shit and they still didn't tell us.

So yeah, fuck Abigail's.

vRyue2p.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    whens the next pax where pa people are going to

I might rob a bank and go

I'll see if I can get my sad sack canadian friend to come to translate for me in case there are canadian PAers

override367 on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Restaurant culture is so weird in the US.

When there are like 20 people at a table, the servers here still track individual bills (usually digitally) and people pay individually or ask for their bills to be joined up

Customers regularly ask for things to be divided equally, or some things to be divided while others are not, and all manner of arcade combinations

Then we just tip 20% for the hassle

from what I understand, splitting a bill is handled by c o m p u t e r s so idk why it's a problem at all, but there are deffo city/region differences on whether servers will even do it or not

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

When there are like 20 people at a table, the servers here still track individual bills (usually digitally) and people pay individually or ask for their bills to be joined up

Customers regularly ask for things to be divided equally, or some things to be divided while others are not, and all manner of arcade combinations

so we almost always do a prix fixe and not everyone stays till the end- i'm sitting there like a conquering emperor as people walk up hey chu thanks for dinner, i'm getting mine and like, mya's drinks and they hand me a few twenties and i'm like oh oka- and someone walks up and is like hey man can i pay you for my drinks? also i got the wellington which you said has a price supplement, right?

and then it's time to go and i'm like, i have 700 dollars people have given me, who hasn't paid yet

and 20 minutes later we're 380 dollars short on a 3,400 dollar bill

• ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular

thats how we do it in the south. best way period.

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    like, alright, there are fourteen spades cards, and I have eight of them

ace, queen, jack, 9, 8, 7, 6, 2

that's great, you think, but someone likely has protected king and will try to hold onto it with dear life to stop you. protected king and protected queen are great stoppers. You MIGHT get lucky and run into a situation where the person only has ONE spade and its the king, so it can go one of two ways

You throw the ace

you see a three, a four, your ace and a ten

fuck, protected king, but now you can account for 11 spades. If you throw another spade, you might see the end of all spades, even if you aren't going to win the trick. If you have another ace, this is fine because you can get the game back in your hand at some point. If not? Not much you can do.

Every trick counts. Gotta think ahead.

i'm sorry i was checking out this new fusion rifle i got and i lost you somewhere around "there are fourteen spades"

i still chuckle every time i remember this

cb557
    @Sir Landshark Y'know I asked if the reason it had such low stability was because it had a good recoil pattern and was told that it did not
    y'know, that was fucking wrong, it's got linear compensator and one of the best recoil direction stats of all fusion rifles

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

they do in most of the U.S. POS's are designed to make it easy.

This is strictly elite east coasters being fucking awful.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    i am willing to bring a clipboard to pax

of course i am

Chelle standing there with arms folded

"I remind you that this document is legally binding and admissible in court"

whens the next pax where pa people are going to

I might rob a bank and go

I'll see if I can get my sad sack canadian friend to come to translate for me in case there are canadian PAers

pax east, march 10

edited February 2017
    okay that's probably... probably too soon

My finances are currently hovering around "I have finally stabilized the patient but they can't yet be moved"

edit: and now health insurance is going to be knocking ~14% off my net pay

override367 on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I recognize Risk is a bad game. I know why. I also know I have lots of good memories around it due to my nerd friends and I play it. I have most of them into CitOW now instead but still it is something we do pretty much annually. I might try to do Smallworld this year as I have a copy and its fun.

But I also realize I have won Risk once in 20+ years of playing with these people. Most of the time I just get vindictive and sabotage others to make sure the game ends quickly when I am almost out of it.

The first time I did this, because we do treaties and shit, I loudly proclaimed, "The tides of war have turned!" and then went on to backstab my ally collapse his flank and letting my other friend win.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

of course i am

I'll spit torture people who short us

drink a big old HFCS coke

get that soda loogie going

maybe let just the tip touch their eyelid

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I don't mind kingmaking (I can't win, but I can ensure that this person does) or king of the hill tactics (everyone gangs up on the leader).

I recently discovered, though, that I hate when people kick the lowest scoring person in the game while they are down. Especially if it turns out that those actions caused the leader to win. I pointed this out at board game night one time (Look, there's no reason to block Player A! Player B is making a run, and we have to cooperate to stop him!), and then they blocked Player A anyway, and look, Player B just won the game! Why do you look so surprised? You made this happen!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    people never consider tax when they do remember to toss in their fair share

5-10% * 40 people is a huge number

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    edited February 2017
    Do I want to: pay off my college and get my diploma finally

or pay off one of my credit cards and reduce my monthly bills by $45

edit: OR pay off the credit card and then use it to pay off my college, thus creating some reward dollars and still getting the diploma

override367 on
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    lol so my gf's job will pay for her to become a notary

I want there to do it just so I can get EVERYTHING notarized

you can just buy a notary stamp you know

nobody cares

Dodgson

We've got Dodgson over here!

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    if you pay me a hundo ill hang around all night, tabulating what everyone ordered, collecting money when they try to leave, and holding them upside down and shaking them until moths fly out of their pockets if they're short

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Cheating is fun.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    also the year the money came out alright is the one year i actually made it to PAX

coincidence?

probably i had nothing to do with it

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    i would never ever do a group tab because someone is always going to fuck over other people

Bless your heart.
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Funny, as I got older I realized the true tragedy if Jurassic Park

Hammond spared no expense, even on ice cream, but then cheaped out on IT/security of all things

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    edited February 2017
    Chanus wrote: »
    people never consider tax when they do remember to toss in their fair share

5-10% * 40 people is a huge number

remember at big events with lots of people to bring cash, toss your share in without discussion, and excuse yourself to the restroom and then straight from there to the car

override367 on

Hammond spared no expense, even on ice cream, but then cheaped out on IT/security of all things

so THE MOST REALISTIC MOVIE OF ALL TIME THEN?

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I don't mind kingmaking (I can't win, but I can ensure that this person does) or king of the hill tactics (everyone gangs up on the leader).

I recently discovered, though, that I hate when people kick the lowest scoring person in the game while they are down. Especially if it turns out that those actions caused the leader to win. I pointed this out at board game night one time (Look, there's no reason to block Player A! Player B is making a run, and we have to cooperate to stop him!), and then they blocked Player A anyway, and look, Player B just won the game! Why do you look so surprised? You made this happen!

Eat the rich!

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    It is trivial to split checks for a lot of people, especially if you use a POS that requires you to enter orders by seat.

What is NOT trivial is running a fuckton of credit cards at once while you have tables waiting.

That being said, if you're working a party of 40 you shouldn't be working any other tables, and in fact you are probably one of a few servers.

vRyue2p.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

Made it more realistic.

with smallish semi regular friend things are we all agreed the correct procedure is one person pays and it rotates and everyone just acts like a goddamn adult and doesn't go nuts with drinks under this arrangement

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

This actually occurs normally. In this case we are doing a more fancy special dinner which is usually in a private room so it is more of a private function than just a large group going to a restaurant. There tend to be deposits and shit.

u7stthr17eud.png
    It is trivial to split checks for a lot of people, especially if you use a POS that requires you to enter orders by seat.

What is NOT trivial is running a fuckton of credit cards at once while you have tables waiting.

That being said, if you're working a party of 40 you shouldn't be working any other tables, and in fact you are probably one of a few servers.

yeah 10-15 years ago splitting checks being a pain was a reasonable problem to have

these days it's 100% poor shift management or being a lazy waiter

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

of course i am

Even the ardent leftists of chat go hard jack Bauer 24 when it comes to the check

I'm just saying, if you're an eight-top and you all split the check eight ways and each pay with a credit card, that server is almost certainly going to either piss you off because they have to make sure their other tables are all taken care of before they can start the 10 minute process of running your cards, or they're going to piss off their other tables because they're essentially off the floor for ten minutes.

vRyue2p.png
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    i forgot how shitty gamestop is

even their "new" games come pre-opened and the disc is behind the counter. fuck you guys!

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    So this is just people being irresponsible and fuzzy on the bill like little shits

I see

I can't say that has happened to me because I have never done a fancy prix fixe with people I didn't know well or people who didn't just throw money at problems

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular

I highly doubt 20 people are tracked individually. Because either then the server has to remember who each 20 people are (really hard) or the kitchen gets 20 individual orders at once (good way to get murdered)

Basically I think you're a fucking dirty liar

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1

of course i am

Even the ardent leftists of chat go hard jack Bauer 24 when it comes to the check

i'll show you torture works!

This discussion has been closed.