As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat [chat]

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    i forgot how shitty gamestop is

even their "new" games come pre-opened and the disc is behind the counter. fuck you guys!

if I went somewhere and they tried this shit I'd walk right the fuck out

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    so it came out the late owner of the detroit tigers paid rosa parks' rent for a while

which is nice and everything but i cant get over his hair

170211080220-mike-ilitch-file-exlarge-169.jpg

just.. come on man. you're a billionaire.. and that's what you've got going on? you're not fooling anyone

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Funny, as I got older I realized the true tragedy if Jurassic Park

Hammond spared no expense, even on ice cream, but then cheaped out on IT/security of all things

Just like State Infrastructure

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    i forgot how shitty gamestop is

even their "new" games come pre-opened and the disc is behind the counter. fuck you guys!

only the last copy, but shitty employees will try to stick you with that one anyways sometime.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I went to a fancy restaurant in New Orleans once and the waiter was like "we don't split the check here, it's not that kind of restaurant sir..."

I then went to a seafood place instead and got some fried shit.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

i stole your joke and put it there

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    Restaurant culture is so weird in the US.

When there are like 20 people at a table, the servers here still track individual bills (usually digitally) and people pay individually or ask for their bills to be joined up

Customers regularly ask for things to be divided equally, or some things to be divided while others are not, and all manner of arcade combinations

Then we just tip 20% for the hassle

I highly doubt 20 people are tracked individually. Because either then the server has to remember who each 20 people are (really hard) or the kitchen gets 20 individual orders at once (good way to get murdered)

Basically I think you're a fucking dirty liar

if you can't remember what 20 people ordered i mean why are you even working for $2.13/hr

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    back when i worked at gamestop they would let us borrow brand new games (partially as an employee perk but also 'for product knowledge' to help sell) and then have us shrinkwrap them and sell them as new

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I went to a fancy restaurant in New Orleans once and the waiter was like "we don't split the check here, it's not that kind of restaurant sir..."

I then went to a seafood place instead and got some fried shit.

Yeah that was the last straw I'm sure...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    huh, I could round trip to boston for $180 on march 10

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Cass got a rude awakening to how Machiavellian my wife can be over a game of Twilight Imperium.

It was me, my wife, Cass, Choco, Wash, and Aarseth playing. At the midpoint of the game, it had turned into a 2 v 2 v 2 war. Me and Choco vs Wash and Aarseth vs my wife and Cass.

And basically after Cass had a brutal battle with Wash where her forces were decimated, my wife backstabbed her and allied with Wash and Aarseth, dividing up Cass' territory and eliminating her.

The reason was Choco and I needed to be stopped, and my wife liked her odds better allying with Wash and Aarseth, but their allegiance was contingent on dividing up Cass' resources.

So Cass was sacrificed as the weaker ally, and my wife just calmly and coldly explained her logic to a stunned Cass before the triumvirate declared war on Choco and I.

Cass looked at me and just flatly said "You two deserve each other" and I nodded solemnly in agreement.

Pony on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Re: seat number works in theory when everyone stays in their seat and pays at the end

But it never works that way. People leave early and then people fill in the empty spaces and then you have to remember where someone you've never met was sitting for like 45 minutes while you were making sure the food was put in correctly, water was filled, courses bussed, etc

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1

pls

pls

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

When there are like 20 people at a table, the servers here still track individual bills (usually digitally) and people pay individually or ask for their bills to be joined up

Customers regularly ask for things to be divided equally, or some things to be divided while others are not, and all manner of arcade combinations

I highly doubt 20 people are tracked individually. Because either then the server has to remember who each 20 people are (really hard) or the kitchen gets 20 individual orders at once (good way to get murdered)

People are assholes, it happens.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I think I'm going to donate to the TN college fund and buy a powerball ticket.

I haven't picked one up in like six months so I'm due right?

are YOU on the beer list?
    I could go to boston but once I got there I'd be broke

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Worse things you can spend 3/6 bucks on.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Re: seat number works in theory when everyone stays in their seat and pays at the end

But it never works that way. People leave early and then people fill in the empty spaces and then you have to remember where someone you've never met was sitting for like 45 minutes while you were making sure the food was put in correctly, water was filled, courses bussed, etc

well yeah, i mean, if people start playing all musical chairs clown car on you that's one thing

which i know happens

but that's not how we do things unless justinsane decides to show up

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    A good server will track individuals individually if asked. Ive dated several. They have seat numbers or some other landmark that they use for identification on table numbers.

Jubal77 on

pls

pls

im already leaving porp with the kids for a meetup with college buddies sometime later this year

she is going to her brothers graduation so it's a fair trade

but getting another free weekend seems unlikely

edited February 2017
    I've never been to Boston, everything I know about it is from movies with Ben Affleck and also that movie with Dicaprio

Also I have to buy clothes, the only clothes I have newer than 3 years are my work clothes, and then only because my employer gave me a bunch of clothes

override367 on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

Many computer systems have you enter the orders by seat. When you are hired as a server, you learn not just the table numbers, but also where "Seat 1" is on each table, and then you go clockwise or counterclockwise from there, depending on the restaurant, to get the seat numbers for the whole table. Once you know the seat numbers, you take each order down by seat number, and put them in the system by seat number, hitting "next seat" after each order.

There are two advantages to this. One is that it makes it easy to give each person an individual check if necessary. The other is that other servers or food runners can bring food to your table and give it to the proper person without having to shout "who had the fried chicken?" or whatever.

vRyue2p.png
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

so we almost always do a prix fixe and not everyone stays till the end- i'm sitting there like a conquering emperor as people walk up hey chu thanks for dinner, i'm getting mine and like, mya's drinks and they hand me a few twenties and i'm like oh oka- and someone walks up and is like hey man can i pay you for my drinks? also i got the wellington which you said has a price supplement, right?

and then it's time to go and i'm like, i have 700 dollars people have given me, who hasn't paid yet

and 20 minutes later we're 380 dollars short on a 3,400 dollar bill

Ooh boy, I'd be calling people, their work, their moms, forwarding google doc links ending in shit like dinner_total_additions_final_shortage_final_deadbeats.xlsx

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Yes that's how math works.

At least that's how @bowen thinks math works.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

pls

pls

im already leaving porp with the kids for a meetup with college buddies sometime later this year

she is going to her brothers graduation so it's a fair trade

but getting another free weekend seems unlikely

just spin it like you're doing her a favor she'll never know

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

are you fucking kidding me

vRyue2p.png

congrats in advance

are you fucking kidding me

o.0

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Even without Fung Wah?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    The extra fucked up part of that story is apparently my wife and Aarseth had worked out an arrangement that had Wash lost that fight, Aarseth would have turned on him and joined up with Cass and my wife.

So my wife was just siding with whoever won, and to the victor went the spoils.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

180 you say

sc65t7ps9oys.png

VH let's not fight in front of chu you know how that upsets him

180 you say

sc65t7ps9oys.png

ok but you're gonna pay 30 bucks for your bag you cuckster

180 you say

sc65t7ps9oys.png

SPIRIT AIRLINES LOLOLOL

180 you say

sc65t7ps9oys.png

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME

vRyue2p.png

180 you say

sc65t7ps9oys.png

Having an airline named after something describing a being in the afterlife is a big nope for me.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular

Many computer systems have you enter the orders by seat. When you are hired as a server, you learn not just the table numbers, but also where "Seat 1" is on each table, and then you go clockwise or counterclockwise from there, depending on the restaurant, to get the seat numbers for the whole table. Once you know the seat numbers, you take each order down by seat number, and put them in the system by seat number, hitting "next seat" after each order.

There are two advantages to this. One is that it makes it easy to give each person an individual check if necessary. The other is that other servers or food runners can bring food to your table and give it to the proper person without having to shout "who had the fried chicken?" or whatever.

Yes I'm quite familiar with it, having done it for almost a decade. I'm also quite familiar with how many times it fucks up in practice.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    sorry skippy that wasn't meant to be mean to you but also fuck spirit and also you'll pay more than that in bullshit post-ticket fees

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I'm going to be executed over and over again in For Honor

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i'm going to skimp on the fancy dinner bill

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
This discussion has been closed.