As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat [chat]

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    yeah which chess championship are you guys talking about?

the World Chess Championship is open to both men and women

ftOqU21.png
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Fuck, I can get a round trip to Boston on Delta for PAX East for $183.

fffffff

DRINK

THE

BLEACH

SEEK

THE

NAME

I ate an engineer
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Recently though one of the lady champions felt they were not giving her good competition because she was a lady, like she forfeited a match over it.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    one of many awesome little quirks in the Dune boardgame: before the game starts the Bene Gesserit player writes down the name of a player and a number. If that player wins on that turn the Bene Gesserit win instead (this can also turn an allied victory into a sole victory)

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    That is kinda weird that chess is segregated by gender.

Like, more than kinda weird.

official weird.

How do you feel about golf and bull riding?

I've never understood that either.

Like I don't get the "ladies tee" in golf.

it's. fucking. golf.

like especially now with advances in club technology, there's no reason women can't (and regularly do) hit 250+ yard drives, and the rest is a skill game.

It's dumb to have an LPGA.

Same with bull riding, sure.

I mean for that matter we should probably co-ed a lot of team sports, they'd be more entertaining.

hmm, i thought pro dudes do out-drive pro ladies by like 50 yards

???

https://www.quora.com/Which-LPGA-golfers-have-longer-average-drives-than-the-PGA-golfers

looks like the gap isn't quite as big as i thought, but it's still significant

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Bostonians please recommend venues

Call the place mazzy linked, its legit.

It's $$$$, as much as Marliave

Yes but its walkable from the con itself. And a much better space.

Prices be goin up :( South was over a hundo with drinks and tax/tip.

cant we just smuggle in some drinks?

i heard there are bras that u can put beer in to sneak in with, i'm sure ludious would be willing to help you guys out

oh it's on

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    He's fuzzy because his soul is actually leaving his body, she hit him so hard

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    @credeiki I'm reading The Bear and the Nightingale and there's domovoi and rusalkas and gender politics it's terrific

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    FUCK DAN AND BIANCA
    FIRST TACO BELL WEDDING WILL BE MINE

Bless your heart.
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

official weird.

it's. fucking. golf.

like especially now with advances in club technology, there's no reason women can't (and regularly do) hit 250+ yard drives, and the rest is a skill game.

I mean for that matter we should probably co-ed a lot of team sports, they'd be more entertaining.

???

https://www.quora.com/Which-LPGA-golfers-have-longer-average-drives-than-the-PGA-golfers

I mean maybe by like a stroke or two, which I get is technically significant, but not enough so in my opinion that they couldn't be combined.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

fffffff

DRINK

THE

BLEACH

SEEK

THE

NAME

definitely not!

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

idk sniper linked something

maybe it was the US chess championship?

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    I was part of the chess club in high school in 9th grade

And the matches were gender segregated, and some of the female players made a stink about it and I supported them

And the arguments used by the school for it were so dumb

"well professional chess is gender segregated", true, but that is ALSO DUMB

"other sports and teams are gender segregated" first of all not all of them are. Second of all that only kinda sorta a little bit maybe makes sense for contact sports or other sports where large differences in physical size matter. That is 0% true of chess

I ended up boycotting the regional tournament out of solidarity with the women from the club (I didn't qualify amd wouldn't have been competing anyway but I refused to play exhibition matches or even attend as a spectator)

The school's response was to.... get rid of the women's chess team and make the chess club boys only the next year. That was the decision of the sexist (and racist but that's another story) dickhead teacher who ran the chess club. Naturally, I didn't rejoin the chess club that year

That teacher got fired for his racism the next year and then the chess club stopped being gender segregated when the next teacher (who was also a woman) took over. I had become kind of a shithead teenager by then so I wasn't doing that stuff anymore which is sad.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I guess I'm saying it's not like men are averaging happy gilmore shots or something. if you drive 280 yards and your opponent drives 260 you're both still looking at a fucking five iron to the green.

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Sad, something very very sad.

"yes I always wanted to be married where they make chalupas whatever the fuck that actually is."

They seem happy.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    i don't read back in chat

ever onward

we'll mourn our dead when we arrive at page 100

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    credeiki I'm reading The Bear and the Nightingale and there's domovoi and rusalkas and gender politics it's terrific

Oh shit that looks right up my alley; nice! Adding to reading list for sure.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Recently though one of the lady champions felt they were not giving her good competition because she was a lady, like she forfeited a match over it.

that was an unfortunate instance. Because I am sure she has to deal with no end of sexism in chess tournaments but, in this case, there was enough data to go back and 100% conclusively prove her accusation in this case was false.

Specifically, her complaint was that in a tournament with very few women she had been matched up against other women several times in a row. And it was a shady thing at first glance. But the matching was done using a system that doesn't allow for input from the tournament organizers. And multiple groups afterwards checked and found that it was indeed just a coincidence and not anyone pulling strings.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

fffffff

DRINK

THE

BLEACH

SEEK

THE

NAME

i got too ehhhh over the slowness and non-syncing well of the app, but i am pleased to see you seeking it

and i saw cb be a little bhole and give you shit when you were only on the 1st of seven candles

you got this

see you in oblivion

OnTheLastCastle on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    I guess I'm saying it's not like men are averaging happy gilmore shots or something. if you drive 280 yards and your opponent drives 260 you're both still looking at a fucking five iron to the green.

Men and women's five iron distance aren't the same though...

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    FUCK DAN AND BIANCA

Honestly with his reach on Twitter, hes going to win that contest and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

It should be 4:30 so I can go home.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    credeiki I'm reading The Bear and the Nightingale and there's domovoi and rusalkas and gender politics it's terrific

this is on my to read list!

Podly wrote: »

WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO STOP WOMEN PODLY!?

Also it should be known I stopped playing golf like eight years ago and don't really care so like whatever the golf women are cool with, I just default support that.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    FUCK DAN AND BIANCA

Honestly with his reach on Twitter, hes going to win that contest and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

His reach is minuscule like President Trumps hands.
    I will be victorious
    or no one will be

Bless your heart.
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »

WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO STOP WOMEN PODLY!?

So I can get a god damn tee time

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

official weird.

it's. fucking. golf.

???

I mean maybe by like a stroke or two, which I get is technically significant, but not enough so in my opinion that they couldn't be combined.

An average of a one or two stroke difference is kind of a big deal.

Like, looking at the PGA standings from last year, the difference between the #1 and the #17 best averages was 1 stroke. 2 strokes gets you all the way down to #118.

vRyue2p.png
  • ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    ugh @ludious my whole team is going to be in town for the week the day after pax east ends.

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
    Also also it should be known that since there are women out there that are better than me at pretty much everything including being mountain men I'm okay with co-ed competition cause I'mma lose anyway.

Oh god that motherfucker has some twitter army named giantbomb and they're swarming the hashtag and i am so fucked.

Bless your heart.
    also I think the average PGA tournament is over 1000 yards longer than LPGA ones

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    weeks when my whole team are in town are hell

telework gets cancelled and they want to go out to lunch and dinner together a bunch and in exhausting meetings all day usually and i have to be on time and relatively well-put together

noooooooooooooo :(

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Golf is weird in that if you didn't gender segregate it, it probably wouldn't be absolute male dominance but it'd still be a solid advantage for males.

It's also unclear to me if there's anything conclusive on if men are naturally inclined to be better at technical sports as well, though that's super hard to study I'd imagine. Like, is there a natural gap in coordination the same way there is in strength and endurance? If so, then even like darts or billiards are male favored rather than just being culturally male.

I ate an engineer
    yes, being on time for work is hell for me :P

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i mean i guess i see nothing wrong with women choosing to compete in coed leagues even if they'll never place

but for people who want to be best in the world or whatever, in many fields that would necessarily require segregation to be realistic

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Yay date confirmed

edited February 2017
    honestly .... they should shorten most PGA tournaments

drives have just gotten too long as equipment and swing science has gotten better

a 3 iron is virtually non-existent in most pros bags

it's more fun to watch a player make an expert draw shot than just bomb I huge drive once you get to know the game

edit* and my main point being it would foster a better integrated game

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    women are less capable of growing combovers and beer guts in order to be proper darts champions

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    Golf is weird in that if you didn't gender segregate it, it probably wouldn't be absolute male dominance but it'd still be a solid advantage for males.

It's also unclear to me if there's anything conclusive on if men are naturally inclined to be better at technical sports as well, though that's super hard to study I'd imagine. Like, is there a natural gap in coordination the same way there is in strength and endurance? If so, then even like darts or billiards are male favored rather than just being culturally male.

I thought women in general were better than men at technical sports?

This discussion has been closed.