As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat [chat]

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    you motherfuckers needs to appreciate all the work im doin for yall *flips table*

I do tho

I do, more than anyone

i know YOU do

YOU are a saint tho

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Hi folks!

Please consider the following:

While it is technically correct that the terms White Nationalist, Neo-Nazi, Nazi, and Fascist are different things and do not mean identical things...

Please think very carefully if it is actually important to correct people about which one they are using to refer to a specific odious, harmful racist by.

Of course it's true that not all White Nationalists are Nazis, and not all Fascists are White Nationalists, but all of those people are dangerous, harmful, and have important unifying characteristics that people need to be aware of.

Quibbling over the specificity of these terms can be important! ...sometimes. Often, though, it really, really isn't. It can be important in a historical context, or in specifying exactly which group a hatemonger's loyalties lie with. But otherwise, in common conversation, these terms can be used fairly interchangeably and getting hung up on pedantry can only create a distracting side conversation of people talking past each other.

So just... decide how important it is for you to be technically correct.

I see bowen's point about not overusing it

but IMO Bannon is definitely one of those people

Think about the most racist relative you have and compare what they say in private or on facebook to what they say in public, at work

now look at what bannon has said with fucking cameras rolling, and imagine what he's like when they aren't

I couldn't build a court case, but I see the white supremacy smoke, I think there's some variation of nazi fire!

I'm comfortable calling Bannon a nazi.

I'm not comfortable calling Pewdiepie a nazi because wall street journal blog shit had a slow news day and cut out like 10 seconds of his video and presented it without context.

What about nazicuriospie? Like he's dipping a toe seeing how it feels, just the tip?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    a venn diagram of angry directionless young dudes who game a whole bunch

and angry directionless dudes of the kind who ended up in Vigrid and other Neo-nazi groups or were affiliated with same

probably overlaps a whole bunch

ftOqU21.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Hi folks!

While it is technically correct that the terms White Nationalist, Neo-Nazi, Nazi, and Fascist are different things and do not mean identical things...

Please think very carefully if it is actually important to correct people about which one they are using to refer to a specific odious, harmful racist by.

Of course it's true that not all White Nationalists are Nazis, and not all Fascists are White Nationalists, but all of those people are dangerous, harmful, and have important unifying characteristics that people need to be aware of.

Quibbling over the specificity of these terms can be important! ...sometimes. Often, though, it really, really isn't. It can be important in a historical context, or in specifying exactly which group a hatemonger's loyalties lie with. But otherwise, in common conversation, these terms can be used fairly interchangeably and getting hung up on pedantry can only create a distracting side conversation of people talking past each other.

Think about the most racist relative you have and compare what they say in private or on facebook to what they say in public, at work

now look at what bannon has said with fucking cameras rolling, and imagine what he's like when they aren't

I couldn't build a court case, but I see the white supremacy smoke, I think there's some variation of nazi fire!

I'm not comfortable calling Pewdiepie a nazi because wall street journal blog shit had a slow news day and cut out like 10 seconds of his video and presented it without context.

What about nazicuriospie? Like he's dipping a toe seeing how it feels, just the tip?

.. I'll allow it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Hi folks!

Yeah, making holocaust jokes doesn't make him a nazi, even if they are harmful

override367 on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    A lot of the m4m, no homo, j/o bro, down-low type stuff isn't just rooted in homophobia.

It's also rooted in bisexual erasure and monosexism.

There's a very strong and prevailing cultural attitude that once you engage in same-sex sexual activity, or hell even just express the interest, YOU GAY NOW.

Even if you're still interested in the opposite gender, even if you don't want to buy into a "gay identity", there's a lot of societal pressure to do so. There's a sexual orientation binary and it's rigidly enforced by gay and straight people.

So there are people who engage in mental gymnastics and terminology games to avoid getting pigeon-holed as gay, because they're not just "in the closet"... they might not actually be homosexual.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    if hakkes is our dark knight

who is harvey dent

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    honestly it's kind of a problem in the sea area where traffic is so bad in every direction to and from every destination

like even if you do buy a play a reasonable commute from your work

I hope they never move
    or you never get a new job
    because you're back in hour long commute town sucker

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    A lot of the m4m, no homo, j/o bro, down-low type stuff isn't just rooted in homophobia.

It's also rooted in bisexual erasure and monosexism.

There's a very strong and prevailing cultural attitude that once you engage in same-sex sexual activity, or hell even just express the interest, YOU GAY NOW.

Even if you're still interested in the opposite gender, even if you don't want to buy into a "gay identity", there's a lot of societal pressure to do so. There's a sexual orientation binary and it's rigidly enforced by gay and straight people.

So there are people who engage in mental gymnastics and terminology games to avoid getting pigeon-holed as gay, because they're not just "in the closet"... they might not actually be homosexual.

If you were a straight guy who wanted to dabble in the m4m stuff... wouldn't you want someone more feminine so it at least was more like what you were normally into? Small steps or whatever?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular

who is harvey dent

Castle....its....you...

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    hakkes i do not appreciate you but i deem you to be grimly necessary

heck u EM

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I am the batman

or at least I'm the batman clad shlub that Joker kills and reveals for dramatic effect

override367 on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

who is harvey dent

ahem

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

who is harvey dent

Castle....its....you...

I am going to clean up [chat]ham! Please donate to my campaign fund.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    i realized the other day i actually do have "investments" in that i have a retirement savings plan with a fairly small amount in it. i'd say about a quarter of a down payment on a house. a small house. or a very small condo in a nice part of town.

i forget about it every year until tax season, which is actually kind of bad because contributing to an RRSP is one of the best ways to increase your tax refund

Evil Multifarious on
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I wanted to play PSO Episode 3, but never got around to it.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    guys call the Hague I just found out I am harboring a war criminal

twist: the criminal is my own butt

i hereby serve notice that i formally disown and disavow it and its actions that are abhorrent to all decent people

do you have the butt pees

no just death farts

let me be clear: not "deadly" farts

death farts. farts that smell like a putrefying, slowly deliquescing corpse and linger in the air like a ghost or the memory of a nightmare

rRwz9.gif
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Our yearly budget currently is $35K (excluding income taxes, which bums it up to 42K) tough I have to admit it's pretty tight. Eating out is our one big luxury.

50K after income taxes would feel like luxury to us :)

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg

i hereby serve notice that i formally disown and disavow it and its actions that are abhorrent to all decent people

no just death farts

death farts. farts that smell like a putrefying, slowly deliquescing corpse and linger in the air like a ghost or the memory of a nightmare

Ah that usually happens to me when I eat dairy.

I will keep rolling my eyes at using nazi as just a bad word and always trying to call people you disagree with whatever word sounds the worst

it's not necessary

a description of them will usually suffice when it comes to getting across how much of a piece of shit they are

ftOqU21.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    hakkes i do not appreciate you but i deem you to be grimly necessary

heck u EM

don't even start with me hakkes i swear to god i will pee on your cats

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    but tyrannus what if i am making 65k a year and have no investments

and what if i spend $600 a month on food

theoretically

Probably can lump that food into meals and entertainment and feel better

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Hakks, I don't appreciate you right now because I'm not sure I'm going to PAX.

If/when I book flights/get a room I'll start appreciating you.

vRyue2p.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I will keep rolling my eyes at using nazi as just a bad word and always trying to call people you disagree with whatever word sounds the worst

it's not necessary

a description of them will usually suffice when it comes to getting across how much of a piece of shit they are

Oh I'm sorry

How about white ethnonationalists who think Hitler did nothing wrong

hello i am here to clean up crime

gGjv4Nwl.jpg

I'm not saying never argue about terminology

Or never be insistent about specificity

But, don't always

Strike a balance. Asses when it's important. For example, I do think it's a reach to call Pewdiepie a Nazi for being a privileged white dipshit who does things for the lulz.

Whereas I think it's a hairsplit on whether Bannon is a Nazi or a White Nationalist

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

who is harvey dent

ahem

You're secretly corrupt and terrible but the powers are covering it up for the good of the forum?

I ate an engineer
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Oh are we appreciating hakkes for pax stuff?

I take it back then >:(

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    hey my work's kind of on the edge of the metropolitan area, what if cutting in closer to be centralized (and commuting out) I went way out into the foothills and bought in one of those sleepy exburb communities that used to be logging towns before we cut the forests down?

lolnooope, unsurprisingly those cities are not well run and they let developers build thousands of densely packed mcmansions without giving thought to infrastructue

the single four lane road into town become gridlocked every rush hour commute is just as long as if you were staying in civilization

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    i know were having important convos about who we can call nazis and if millions of dollars is enough to live off of but hey look i got a new haircut AND a new shirt

87MBrU0.jpg

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
    I'm not saying never argue about terminology

Or never be insistent about specificity

But, don't always

Strike a balance. Asses when it's important. For example, I do think it's a reach to call Pewdiepie a Nazi for being a privileged white dipshit who does things for the lulz.

Whereas I think it's a hairsplit on whether Bannon is a Nazi or a White Nationalist

I can agree on that.

• ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    hello i am here to clean up crime

gGjv4Nwl.jpg

yup, harvey dent

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.

no just death farts

If a fart is a "food ghost", they are food wraiths

Angry spirits, that hate life

better than nazi, really, because when you say that about someone who is clearly not keen on swastika tattoos, then you're kind of not getting across anything at all except "bad man, right-leaning"

ftOqU21.png
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    I wanted to play PSO Episode 3, but never got around to it.
    I, too, have wanted to play [video game] many a tíme in my life.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Oh are we appreciating hakkes for pax stuff?

I take it back then >:(

I mean, obviously.

Who would appreciate her just for her forum posting?

vRyue2p.png
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

it's not necessary

I think very generically using 'nazi' decreases its potency and historical force.
    Honestly, even calling Bannon a nazi is eh although he is fairly nazi-adjacent, I guess.
    It is important to figure out what words we are using to describe these people.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
    brian, who took away your fresh baby face and replaced it with this weeded out fiend

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    MY EYES ARENT EVEN BLOODSHOT IN THAT PIC

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

no just death farts

If a fart is a "food ghost", they are food wraiths

Angry spirits, that hate life

they are 2E farts with level drain and resistance to piercing

rRwz9.gif
This discussion has been closed.