As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Non-Russia related Corruption/Grift/Ethics Violations in the [Trump] Administration

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Zomro wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    The real danger with this is that she'll be replaced by someone halfway competent at spin.

That was Conway, though. During the campaign, Conway was the undisputed master of spin and misdirection. No other Trumper can match the level of shameless deception that Conway displayed.

What's happening now is that there's only so much spin you can put on Trump's bullshit before you're outright lying instead of misleading. And since the election is over and Trump is President, there's no Clinton or Obama to shift attention / blame to.

Conway being labeled as not credible is a win. Should it have happened sooner? Hell yes. Do I wish that every other media outlet follow suit (obviously not Fox)? Absolutely.

Yeah Conway is competent at spin. Scarily competent at spin. I mean it was mostly spinning out of control, but it worked like a charm

The Zangief of political spin.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Gonmun wrote: »
    The real danger with this is that she'll be replaced by someone halfway competent at spin.

That was Conway, though. During the campaign, Conway was the undisputed master of spin and misdirection. No other Trumper can match the level of shameless deception that Conway displayed.

What's happening now is that there's only so much spin you can put on Trump's bullshit before you're outright lying instead of misleading. And since the election is over and Trump is President, there's no Clinton or Obama to shift attention / blame to.

Conway being labeled as not credible is a win. Should it have happened sooner? Hell yes. Do I wish that every other media outlet follow suit (obviously not Fox)? Absolutely.

Yeah Conway is competent at spin. Scarily competent at spin. I mean it was mostly spinning out of control, but it worked like a charm

Nah, no way could her puny thighs crush man's head like sparrow's egg.

She is pretty close to top tier in bullshit, though.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »

Nah, no way could her puny thighs crush man's head like sparrow's egg.

She is pretty close to top tier in bullshit, though.

She's real good at saying "Quick, change the channel!" though.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    EDIT: On reflection, this was not a productive post.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

Yeah, I think Conway has just run into a point where spin no longer works because it's so transparent that she's lying and she can't keep up with how often this administration contradicts and incriminates itself.

It's not spin anymore, it's complete incoherent jibberish.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    I'm really curious what Townley did to get shitlisted

My default is "actively the agent of a foreign power" at this point.

Given who he was the assistant to that seems a logical inference. Either active agent or had enough potential blackmail material against him that was known to deny the clearance.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So over under on a year at this point? I mean i though he may make it 4 and get landslided.

But come on man.... Marlago/russia/ all this mess.... Does he make it a year? Watergate took 2?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Yeah, I think Conway has just run into a point where spin no longer works because it's so transparent that she's lying and she can't keep up with how often this administration contradicts and incriminates itself.

It's not spin anymore, it's complete incoherent jibberish.

She still accomplishes her goal, though, which is putting enough untruth in the air beside the truth that Breitbart and Fox can point at the bits that align with what they want to report.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Mayabird wrote: »
    There are more subtle ways of poisoning someone than polonium. But then again, Trump's last FU to America would be making sure somehow his own autopsy report was never released.

Not because of cause of death though, because then the world would know the true size of his hands.

Jokes about hand size aside, he wouldn't want all his claims about having great health to be proven wrong. He's a man who would rather own his murderer walk free than have his own mythology tarnished after death.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    The tokenism, while tangential, is just fucking phenomenal. Mind blowing.

'HEY WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF WOMEN BEING BEHIND A DESK! ~TEE HEE HEE!~'

Not a woman who can actually shape the world or anything, of course. Not a woman with any actual power (other than the power to kind of sadly hawk her fashion products).

More on point, though, is the fact those earrings so prominently on display are from her own damn fashion line. Probably the top as well, though honestly it's just some generic black top so it's not as egregious as the jewelry.

You know I don't think it's actually been mentioned in this thread given we all have a hard enough time keeping up with the grift, theft and ethics violations committed by her father and his staff, but it's worth noting that many of Ivanka's "designs" are in fact stolen from other designers.

A quick Google will bring up more than enough examples of this. She's pretty notorious for it by now.

Omg...wait...*digs through Imgur*

OMG

so apparently 11 months ago is when I was in Marshalls and snapped a shot of these two identical dresses that were the same in every way except for the fabric and branding. One of them--the black one--was branded Ivanka Trump but literally everything about the design was the same as the white one by Carmen (not familiar with this line). I took a pic and posted it in chat at the time cause I thought that was weird!

iwEmuXml.jpg

Ah, you found an example in the wild! Here's a few more a quick Twitter search showed me.

I believe there's a couple of lawsuits outstanding against her, for stolen designs and her Chinese-made scarves being highly flammable.

lol I dug through DAS ARCHIVES: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/34623252/#Comment_34623252

Apparently I recorded at the time that the Carmen dress was MSRP $98 and the Ivanka dress was MSRP $68 which jives with some of the ongoing lawsuits that Ivanka Trump's knockoffs undercut the designs they steal in their pricing

Any lawyers that need my incredibly valuable evidence in this tense IP standoff are welcome to this plainly sufficient evidence

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    I mean, Ivanka is realistically one of the most powerful women in the world right now regardless of official title or position...

Tangential:
    Yes she is. I mean, Merkel is more powerful in real terms - but certainly, Ivanka belongs on a Top 5 or Top 10 list in that category.

...But think about what that says about what it means to be even one of the most powerful women in the world. One of the world's most powerful women is just the daughter of a world leader, with no position, no authority, no office, no ability to create or change laws. Just a stereotypically feminine business that she leverages her position to increase the footprint of.

She's one of the most powerful women in the world... and she has almost zero actual power.

But this would be the case regardless simply because of the US' position of pre-eminence. Europe has a dozen female Presidents/PMs right now.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    The tokenism, while tangential, is just fucking phenomenal. Mind blowing.

'HEY WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF WOMEN BEING BEHIND A DESK! ~TEE HEE HEE!~'

Not a woman who can actually shape the world or anything, of course. Not a woman with any actual power (other than the power to kind of sadly hawk her fashion products).

More on point, though, is the fact those earrings so prominently on display are from her own damn fashion line. Probably the top as well, though honestly it's just some generic black top so it's not as egregious as the jewelry.

You know I don't think it's actually been mentioned in this thread given we all have a hard enough time keeping up with the grift, theft and ethics violations committed by her father and his staff, but it's worth noting that many of Ivanka's "designs" are in fact stolen from other designers.

A quick Google will bring up more than enough examples of this. She's pretty notorious for it by now.

Omg...wait...*digs through Imgur*

OMG

so apparently 11 months ago is when I was in Marshalls and snapped a shot of these two identical dresses that were the same in every way except for the fabric and branding. One of them--the black one--was branded Ivanka Trump but literally everything about the design was the same as the white one by Carmen (not familiar with this line). I took a pic and posted it in chat at the time cause I thought that was weird!

iwEmuXml.jpg

Ah, you found an example in the wild! Here's a few more a quick Twitter search showed me.

I believe there's a couple of lawsuits outstanding against her, for stolen designs and her Chinese-made scarves being highly flammable.

lol I dug through DAS ARCHIVES: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/34623252/#Comment_34623252

Apparently I recorded at the time that the Carmen dress was MSRP $98 and the Ivanka dress was MSRP $68 which jives with some of the ongoing lawsuits that Ivanka Trump's knockoffs undercut the designs they steal in their pricing

Any lawyers that need my incredibly valuable evidence in this tense IP standoff are welcome to this plainly sufficient evidence

It was my understanding that the fashion industry steals designs from each other all the time? Clothing is not copyrightable under US law and as long as you don't infringe trademarks you can do whatever you want

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

But how will trump get briefed in the morning?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

But how will trump get briefed in the morning?

Sweet nothings whispered into his ear piece with a resonant Russian accent?

• Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    Rhah wrote: »
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Rhah wrote: »
    It was certainly not ethical.

Nixon's penchant for being paranoid and recording everything is what tripped him up in the end, so... I guess this is an odd sort of good news?

I would love for this Administration to go down the same way as Nixon and do the exact same thing since they obviously don't have any knowledge of history. Repeating the same mistake to getting taken down would just be delicious.
    Oh shit, we'd get a repeat of Ford pardoning Nixon wouldn't we?
    Without a doubt. I think the only way the repubs can get out of this clean is Donny keeling over from a coronary (which I'm convinced at least a few of them are hoping for).

If Putin finally tired of his puppet and poloniumed him? Would it be the first assassination of a world leader that wouldn't actually cause a war to happen?

If Putin tires of him, I'm sure we'll see selective leaking of whatever dirt they have on Trump. I think they'll do it anyway as a steady drip-drip to keep him off-balance, angry and ineffective just for the lols and the further destruction of US dominance.

Should be a 'fun' few years.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    China knows how to appeal to Trump.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/china-awards-trump-valuable-trademark-45504953
    The government of China awarded U.S. President Donald Trump valuable rights to his own name this week, in the form of a 10-year trademark for construction services.

The registration became official on Feb. 14 and was published in a trademark registration announcement on the website of China's Trademark Office on Wednesday.

This may well be the first foreign trademark to be handed to Trump during his presidency, but is unlikely to be the last. In China alone he has 49 pending trademark applications and 77 marks already registered in his own name, most of which will come up for renewal during his term.

Critics say Trump's global intellectual property interests could be used by foreign states as leverage over the president and may violate the emoluments clause of the U.S. Constitution, which bars public servants from accepting anything of value from foreign governments unless explicitly approved by Congress. These concerns are particularly sharp in China, where the courts and bureaucracy reflect the will of the ruling Communist Party.

The registration this week came as a surprise win for Trump after a decade of trying — and failing — to wrest the rights to his name back from a man named Dong Wei. The abrupt turn in Trump's bureaucratic fortunes once he declared his candidacy has raised questions about the extent to which his political status may be helping his family business.

Any special treatment from China would mean that Trump effectively accepted a present from Beijing, an act that would violate the Constitution, Richard Painter, chief White House ethics lawyer under President George W. Bush, said in an email. "A different conclusion might be reached if Trump had been treated like everyone else seeking a trademark, but the evidence does not point in that direction."
    The Trump people are claiming the registration, which Trump directly benefits from because he owns the Trump Organization, did not happen thanks to Trump becoming president.

Would even Trump's supporters believe that?

• Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    Yes.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

If Trump says it, they will believe him.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

No they won't. They just won't care. Anecdotally, they will claim to believe what he says, but if you press obliquely, you'll get some vague answer about how people with power don't play by the same rules, and that's the natural way of the universe.

They know exactly why China did this, and celebrate it as a sign of strength. They just won't tell you that.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Houn wrote: »

No they won't. They just won't care. Anecdotally, they will claim to believe what he says, but if you press obliquely, you'll get some vague answer about how people with power don't play by the same rules, and that's the natural way of the universe.

They know exactly why China did this, and celebrate it as a sign of strength. They just won't tell you that.

Ah yes, the "people take him seriously, but not literally" card.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Remember when Trump was complaining on twitter about the cost of the F-35?

Apparently there was even more to it!

Trump's F-35 Calls Came With a Surprise: Rival CEO Was Listening

Days before taking office, President-elect Donald Trump made two surprise calls to the Air Force general managing the Pentagon’s largest weapons program, the Lockheed Martin Corp. F-35 jet.

Listening in on one of those calls was Dennis Muilenburg -- the CEO of Lockheed’s chief rival, Boeing Co.

This is just bizarre.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    That seems... illegal. The government tends to be pretty picky when it comes to things like collusion and military contracts.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

It took me a second to realize you were actually referring to GINA.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    That seems... illegal. The government tends to be pretty picky when it comes to things like collusion and military contracts.

How is it illegal when the POTUS is pitting rival companies against each other and basically handling the corporate espionage for them

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

Days before taking office, President-elect Donald Trump made two surprise calls to the Air Force general managing the Pentagon’s largest weapons program, the Lockheed Martin Corp. F-35 jet.

Listening in on one of those calls was Dennis Muilenburg -- the CEO of Lockheed’s chief rival, Boeing Co.

This is just bizarre.

Yeah, break down trust between your defense contractors, the military branch providing oversight & the White House. That's an awesome idea.

Great deals, best deals, etc.

Also, not directly related to corruption per se, but lol at Trump not understanding that the Super Hornet & JSF are aircraft with completely different mission orientations or that Boeing literally cannot build the type of aircraft that the USAF currently wants (stealth multirole STOLs).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

The real question is - what's Trump doing that's actually legal? We'll have a shorter list.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

This is just bizarre.

Yeah, break down trust between your defense contractors, the military branch providing oversight & the White House. That's an awesome idea.

Also, not directly related to corruption per se, but lol at Trump not understanding that the Super Hornet & JSF are aircraft with completely different mission orientations or that Boeing literally cannot build the type of aircraft that the USAF currently wants (stealth multirole STOLs).

It's how Teflon Don has run his entire life and how his plan for his businesses worked - have everybody around/under him cutting each other's throats until the whole thing collapses and somehow he always gets out with someone else holding the bag. Only this time he's bankrupting and destroying the last world superpower. He'll probably end up living in a palace somewhere after the US is a smoking ruin.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

This is just bizarre.

It's how Teflon Don has run his entire life and how his plan for his businesses worked - have everybody around/under him cutting each other's throats until the whole thing collapses and somehow he always gets out with someone else holding the bag. Only this time he's bankrupting and destroying the last world superpower. He'll probably end up living in a palace somewhere after the US is a smoking ruin.

Don't be so sure. It's one thing to do that as an asshole CEO, it's quite another to do that to a country.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

This is just bizarre.

Nah. We'll survive him, then throw him out of office one way or another. All else fails there's always the intelligence community's "he'll die in jail." It might be a nice jail, to be fair.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

This is just bizarre.

I was going to say "probably not, I don't think the Kremlin is a palace"

but then I looked it up and it is literally a fortress with five palaces, so maybe you're right

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

The real question is - what's Trump doing that's actually legal? We'll have a shorter list.

If the president does it,it isn't illegal

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Trump returns to Mar a Lago this weekend. I wonder if we'll get a repeat of last week?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Thing is Trump doesn't seem to understand how little leverage he has with Lockheed or Boeing. They own Congress.

• Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    Trump returns to Mar a Lago this weekend. I wonder if we'll get a repeat of last week?

He'll close up the "illegal" leaks (read: Facebook photos)... but he'll never ban Twitter, so we have that.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Thing is Trump doesn't seem to understand how little leverage he has with Lockheed or Boeing. They own Congress.

If Trump actually wants to "buy American," it is pretty much just Lockheed or Boeing when it comes to much of the industries Lockheed and Boeing are in.

• Options

This is just bizarre.

Sure, but... who's gonna be left holding the bag? Everyone around him is either a buddy or a relative or...

*looks at Pence*

...Oh.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

This is just bizarre.

Sure, but... who's gonna be left holding the bag? Everyone around him is either a buddy or a relative or...

*looks at Pence*

...Oh.

Pence was actually fairly insulated from the Flynn thing, at almost absurd lengths. If I were Reince and any of the other establishment GOP around I would work like hell to keep Pence's hands clean so he can come in after the impeachment.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular

And he is gonna have a campaign rally while he is in Florida. You know, because he likes the crowds and stuff...

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

This is just bizarre.

*looks at Pence*

...Oh.

Pence was actually fairly insulated from the Flynn thing, at almost absurd lengths. If I were Reince and any of the other establishment GOP around I would work like hell to keep Pence's hands clean so he can come in after the impeachment.

This is why you're not GOP. You're expecting an impeachment that nobody, not even the so-called "establishment" GOP, wants.

I'll believe Trump is getting impeached when Paul Ryan gets a milliliter of political courage. The corruption and incompetence is a feature, not a bug.

This discussion has been closed.