Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Cat [chat]

18283858788100

Posts

  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I should get back to that video. Oh, I was watching a podcast when I started watching the video. Oh, there's a bowl of cereal in front of me. I see.

  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    how do you even handle more than like

    20 tabs without going crazy, do you guys just leave your pcs running 24/7 with all your apps running 24/7 too?

    I do pretty much leave my PC on all the time. I realize I should probably stop doing this.

    When Corsair hurries up and sends me the check for my cooler I'll get right on that.

    Gotta razor blade off the thermal paste and buy a new CPU cooler I guess. Corsair 250D, looks like I can get a nice single radiator cooler thing for the front fan.

    I'd not use razors, sounds like a good way to cause scratches. Isopropyl and microfiber disposables easily gets it all off.

    or you can just lick the paste off

    If it's named paste it's inherently edible (and tasty).

    PSN: Honkalot
    ChanusPLA
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a
    Arch wrote: »
    spool32 the bard knows what

    oh im sorry was that your family he insulted

    way i see it

    *squish*

    don't start nothin

    *squish*

    don't say nothin

    *squish*

    won't be nothin

    *squish*

    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    HounwanderingPowerpuppiesIlpalaamateurhourspool32LoserForHireX
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i read reddit a lot. almost as much as i read these forums.

    What subs do you follow?

    Now that r/altright is banned I mean.

    r/keto
    r/bjj
    r/food
    r/progresspictures
    r/aww
    r/diy
    r/pcmasterrace
    r/running
    r/asoiaf
    r/changemyview
    r/roadcam

    some others, occasionally i browse r/all

    wandering
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Wait, are people still talking about the 1000 or 500 tab thing like it's real? 21stCentury said it's more like 200+ and the vast majority of that is porn tabs in a single window, which hardly counts.

    Did someone else make a post I missed?

    winky used to do this i believe

    I'm a published writer and have a very unique and interesting writing style. I'm also sharp and witty. My profile is well-written and hilarious. My messages are likewise brilliant. And I've been doing this stuff for...four or five years. I know what "works" in terms of good internet dating writing. "Works" in the sense of leading to a "date" with a human female.

    twitch.tv/onthelastcastle
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Wait, I had a folder open? Oh, I was playing game.

  • visiblehowlvisiblehowl He/Him Neutron Nerd Registered User regular
    For reference, my two windows of tabs:

    (spoilered for possible h-scroll)
    HMnXpDD.png

    RSvcYoT.png

    Yes, there are copies of tabs between the two windows.

    vxsHp3F.gif
    I die evry tiem in Sekiro on Twitch
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Man I just downed one of those large coffee energy drink things and I feel nothing! Today is going to be a long one.

  • visiblehowlvisiblehowl He/Him Neutron Nerd Registered User regular
    Wait, are people still talking about the 1000 or 500 tab thing like it's real? 21stCentury said it's more like 200+ and the vast majority of that is porn tabs in a single window, which hardly counts.

    Did someone else make a post I missed?

    winky used to do this i believe

    No wonder we're such good friends.

    vxsHp3F.gif
    I die evry tiem in Sekiro on Twitch
  • NecoNeco Vapid and Shallow Registered User regular
    Tabs? Ha! I don't even use the internet!

    PLAwanderingAresProphet
  • AtomikaAtomika Brought to you by Technicolor™ Registered User regular
  • visiblehowlvisiblehowl He/Him Neutron Nerd Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Tabs? Ha! I don't even use the internet!

    oh SHIT we just got fucking OWNED

    vxsHp3F.gif
    I die evry tiem in Sekiro on Twitch
    P10descNecowanderingAresProphet
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Shark do you know why there are no bugs in the ocean

    It's because you are a jerk!!!!

    ShivahnSir LandsharkPLAPowerpuppiesLoserForHireX
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Oh, woke up today thinking that I should mention this. Dragon Ball Super has an animation-budget, now. They put more work into Buu blobbing around than they needed to.

  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    It seems trivial to me that we exist only as molecules in motion, rather than static arrangements, and that as molecules are replaceable by identical ones, all essential things cannot be due to the identity of individual particles. Thus, the person that exists from t1 to t2 is fundamentally different from the person who exists from t2 to t3, and that relationship would be the same whether nothing happened at t2 or the person were suddenly switched three feet to the right, but otherwise identical.

    Therefore get over it and teleport everywhere :P

    This makes a lot of assumptions about identity re: particles

    Also particles are never identical as one of their properties is always necessarily different, i.e. their locations in space!

    Assumptions which are true, and can be shown by destructive and constructive interference, iirc?

    I recall reading a blog post by an angry quantum guy who wanted to yell at philosophers over this very thing :P

    But in any case there is no such thing as absolute position, so all that matters is relative position...

    the real issue is that we don't understand consciousness or even qualitative experience enough to make assumptions about duplicating or destroying brains. i wouldn't step into that thing.

    Hmm

    I am torn, because on the one hand, I want to go "ok, fair"

    On the other hand I approach 100% certain that everything we experience is somewhere in the brain, in the form of various processes that only are affected by relative positions and forces that are constantly shifting and would not be affected by such a thing.

    (I am legitimately surprised that you would not step into a teleporter, actually.)

    to clarify, i'm talking about the one that destroys the original and makes a copy

    i am troubled by e.g. a thought experiment in which the machine simply creates a copy without destroying the original; obviously this would not transfer or disrupt my consciousness in any way so copies are not "me" and would not "transfer" my consciousness

    i rather think that such duplication may actually be completely physically impossible, though

    I'm only troubled by that insofar as there are limited resources (such as.. Querry...) that one me is going to be heartbroken to lose :P

    I see your point; I think, however, that my objection is to what you are treating as axiomatic - that there is one "you" and that consciousness is a thing that is transferred independently of the continuing motion and interaction of particles, which I think silently lies under everything here. If you accept that consciousnesses require constant interactions, and that you are not the same person as ten years ago because the interactions are different*, then it follows pretty easily that identity is constantly shifting as its components move around, and that that is the only thing we really need bee concerned with

    *this might be hard for some to swallow, but I don't think you can actually meaningfully say that you are without relying on non-physicalist stuff

    Unrelatedly, grading is hard.

    The whole difficulty of consciousness is exactly that: we experience it as singular and continuous even though it is presumably ever-changing.

    Nonetheless, it is axiomatic that my consciousness is distinct from that of other individuals. As a result, if you copy me exactly and produce a clone, it is not me, necessarily. It's not as though I will experience a consciousness of two experiences, as there is no soul being divided between them. I (as in, that self which perceives a continuous conscious experience) will continue to be conscious as my original. I don't see how this would be altered by destroying the original, or how that scenario would be different from destroying the original while making no copy.

    Basically, it seems that consciousness necessarily requires a kind of continuity, and that continuity does exist. If that continuity does not exist then consciousness does not exist in a meaningful way, I think.

    Right - I'm saying that this is constantly happening every moment. In the case of cloning, you both will have the perception of continuity. You could argue that it doesn't exist in one case, and is only a perception... but I think that equally applies to the non-cloned case, and our treatment of them as different cases is a mental kludge to make things easier. The me of yesterday had different knowledge, different feelings, would react to situations (slightly) differently based on a host of things... and for a while, this meat bag was unconscious! I'm not sure why I should think that I'm the same person of yesterday, and if I do, I'm not sure why, in a case where I was killed and rebuilt at the end of sleep as though I'd slept, I should think that it's any different.

    I think this is an easier, clearer case, but I also think that it applies moment to moment as our memories, emotions, and thoughts change. Reducing the time on that to zero changes nothing, we are still beings that exist only through change. Given that, the particular structure and changes are all that matters.

    I actually do have a weird gut feeling about this, I just think that gut feeling is wrong.

    (incidentally, I don't think that continuity exists. I think during sleep the body is basically someone else - it's so different, how could it be me? I wake up with the hallucinations of a different being, who's affected deeply by me, in my mind.)

    I'm certainly not arguing that the clone's continuity doesn't exist. To the clone, he is me. If both continued to exist, I wouldn't even say that the original would have a better claim to the identity. It would be a bureaucratic nightmare. Your consciousness, arguably, has essentially branched, because both individuals have that sense of continuity.

    But the two individuals are separate people, axiomatically, by their very existence. Here's another thought experiment: you are cloned, and then you wait an hour, and then you are shot in the head. Is this worse than destroying the original immediately upon duplication? Must we achieve a perfect, impossible, simultaneous duplication+destruction to preserve that continuity? How would it, in fact, be different for you than being shot in the head without having been duplicated at all?

    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
    PLASurfpossum
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    i might try gardening this spring.
    i need a hobby that gets me away from you guys outside.

    Bless your heart.
    PLA
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Tabs? Ha! I don't even use the internet!

    :tell_me_more:

    Neco
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Man I just downed one of those large coffee energy drink things and I feel nothing! Today is going to be a long one.

    I recently learned that despite Rockstar tasting awful the Rockstar fruit punch is p damn delicious and for some ungodly reason has 2x the caffeine of regular Rockstar but doesn't even seem to really make a big deal out of that which is weird for an energy drink thing.

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * ~ Week-Long Dance-a-thon Booty Ribbon ~ * ~
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    For reference, my two windows of tabs:

    (spoilered for possible h-scroll)
    HMnXpDD.png

    RSvcYoT.png

    Yes, there are copies of tabs between the two windows.

    *panics*

    Ladies.
    DemonStaceyPreacherEvil MultifariousamateurhourwanderingHounjungleroomx
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Hmm EM I am actually curious:

    Can you define what it would mean for, in the case of this transporter thing, your consciousness to cease and someone else's to be there? Especially in a way that's distinguishable from sleep and whatnot?

    I just realized that I don't even think I can do that.

    I'm not sure what you're asking (which someone else, where is "there", etc.)?

    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
  • NecoNeco Vapid and Shallow Registered User regular
    I got a free sex toy yesterday but I dunno what to do with it :-/

    PLAwandering
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    i might try gardening this spring.
    i need a hobby that gets me away from you guys outside.

    You do need a hobby that gets you away from outside.

    Surfpossum
  • visiblehowlvisiblehowl He/Him Neutron Nerd Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    I got a free sex toy yesterday but I dunno what to do with it :-/

    Do some artwork on it and then display it on your mantle, or some other piece of furniture where you display knick-knacks.

    vxsHp3F.gif
    I die evry tiem in Sekiro on Twitch
    NecoArch21stCentury
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    i feel like you are using your tabs as bookmarks

    but it's like

    that's why we have bookmarks

    but hey when you have 16 GB of RAM everything starts looking like an idle process to be kept running at all times

    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    bowenspool32wanderingHahnsoo1
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I tend to have all three of my work emails open at once, the forums, Facebook in one window

    Then the other window is a bunch of tabs for all the papers in reading

    It's basically the "social" tabset and the "work" tabset

  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    It seems trivial to me that we exist only as molecules in motion, rather than static arrangements, and that as molecules are replaceable by identical ones, all essential things cannot be due to the identity of individual particles. Thus, the person that exists from t1 to t2 is fundamentally different from the person who exists from t2 to t3, and that relationship would be the same whether nothing happened at t2 or the person were suddenly switched three feet to the right, but otherwise identical.

    Therefore get over it and teleport everywhere :P

    This makes a lot of assumptions about identity re: particles

    Also particles are never identical as one of their properties is always necessarily different, i.e. their locations in space!

    Assumptions which are true, and can be shown by destructive and constructive interference, iirc?

    I recall reading a blog post by an angry quantum guy who wanted to yell at philosophers over this very thing :P

    But in any case there is no such thing as absolute position, so all that matters is relative position...

    the real issue is that we don't understand consciousness or even qualitative experience enough to make assumptions about duplicating or destroying brains. i wouldn't step into that thing.

    Hmm

    I am torn, because on the one hand, I want to go "ok, fair"

    On the other hand I approach 100% certain that everything we experience is somewhere in the brain, in the form of various processes that only are affected by relative positions and forces that are constantly shifting and would not be affected by such a thing.

    (I am legitimately surprised that you would not step into a teleporter, actually.)

    to clarify, i'm talking about the one that destroys the original and makes a copy

    i am troubled by e.g. a thought experiment in which the machine simply creates a copy without destroying the original; obviously this would not transfer or disrupt my consciousness in any way so copies are not "me" and would not "transfer" my consciousness

    i rather think that such duplication may actually be completely physically impossible, though

    I'm only troubled by that insofar as there are limited resources (such as.. Querry...) that one me is going to be heartbroken to lose :P

    I see your point; I think, however, that my objection is to what you are treating as axiomatic - that there is one "you" and that consciousness is a thing that is transferred independently of the continuing motion and interaction of particles, which I think silently lies under everything here. If you accept that consciousnesses require constant interactions, and that you are not the same person as ten years ago because the interactions are different*, then it follows pretty easily that identity is constantly shifting as its components move around, and that that is the only thing we really need bee concerned with

    *this might be hard for some to swallow, but I don't think you can actually meaningfully say that you are without relying on non-physicalist stuff

    Unrelatedly, grading is hard.

    The whole difficulty of consciousness is exactly that: we experience it as singular and continuous even though it is presumably ever-changing.

    Nonetheless, it is axiomatic that my consciousness is distinct from that of other individuals. As a result, if you copy me exactly and produce a clone, it is not me, necessarily. It's not as though I will experience a consciousness of two experiences, as there is no soul being divided between them. I (as in, that self which perceives a continuous conscious experience) will continue to be conscious as my original. I don't see how this would be altered by destroying the original, or how that scenario would be different from destroying the original while making no copy.

    Basically, it seems that consciousness necessarily requires a kind of continuity, and that continuity does exist. If that continuity does not exist then consciousness does not exist in a meaningful way, I think.
    But what about when you sever your corpus callosum and have a consciousness residing in each hemisphere and then reconnect the two hemispheres and go back to having one consciousness.

    It does seem that consciousness, as a physical process, is manipulable and divisible. I don't know that that is really an objection to the idea of continuity, though.
    I instinctively agree with vague notions about continuity and self; my visualization is that consciousness is like a volume of liquid. You can pour some into another container, you can add some from a different container, but filling a new container from a different source is too much of a disconnect to call it the same volume.

    But there are a lot of weird things about it and I don't like it one bit, no sir ma'am.

    icon.png facebookIcon.png tumblrIcon.png
    is this how nations are born
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    when i open tabs, i open them knowing that i am creating an imbalance for temporary utility, one that must be redressed in the near future by paring down to one tab and, ultimately, closing the window entirely

    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Man I just downed one of those large coffee energy drink things and I feel nothing! Today is going to be a long one.

    I recently learned that despite Rockstar tasting awful the Rockstar fruit punch is p damn delicious and for some ungodly reason has 2x the caffeine of regular Rockstar but doesn't even seem to really make a big deal out of that which is weird for an energy drink thing.

    Yeah I get the FP ones when im desperate but I did sleep in a bit so it was pretty much sit up out of bed in "oh shit" mode into work so never really had time to wake up properly.

    DemonStacey
  • CoinageCoinage The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    I got a free sex toy yesterday but I dunno what to do with it
    :-/
    Donate it to Goodwill.

    l5pfwe2qivac.jpg
    wanderingNecoPLA
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    I've flown a lot and not really had any issues with any airlines. I honestly couldn't even tell you which airline I used on either trip to the states (except we used air Canada Rogue on the way over, which fucking sucked)

    SAS is the only airline I've sworn off. That plane was so small and shitty it looked like a Wright Bros prototype.

  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Facts about this D&D game that i learned last night:

    - the bard knows a lot of ways to insult insects
    - the barbarian occasionally does enough damage to actually erase a monster from the rulebook
    - you can make the wizard happy by giving him a pet sword
    - you can make the wizard abandon the party in search of a shower by spraying bug goo all over him
    - druids love rust monsters
    - if you say "resistance potion, perhaps to acid", no one in the party will believe it's an acid resistance potion until one of them has been nearly melted into the floor


    -Delmain -Belasco32 -Ludious -cptrugged

    Ain't nobody trusting no GM. Also, I have a feeling we aren't the best at "preparation".

    "The floor is vibrating all around you and it's clear something is coming. You have a round to prepare. What do you do?"

    Bel: what about those "probably acid" resistance potions?
    Rugged: lol no way they're likely all poison. I stand here and look faboulous
    Delmain: i hide behind a rock
    Ludious: who cares if the floor is shaking, I'm not even standing on it.

    Delmain
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    do browsers let you search tab names? i guess there's probably a function to view them as lists so you don't have to guess vaguely by tile and the first or second character you might see. i'm just thinking the search/navigation functionality on a bookmark might be better than a tab but i've never tried fucking with enough tabs to need to figure out a good way to run between them

  • 21stCentury21stCentury A lovely pixel artist and gamecrafter [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Regardless any attempt at going sub 200 tabs always failed in the past. I'm a hoarder i guess.

  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Organichu wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i read reddit a lot. almost as much as i read these forums.

    What subs do you follow?

    Now that r/altright is banned I mean.

    r/keto
    r/bjj
    r/food
    r/progresspictures
    r/aww
    r/diy
    r/pcmasterrace
    r/running
    r/asoiaf
    r/changemyview
    r/roadcam

    some others, occasionally i browse r/all

    Mine are usually either hobbies or political

    Climbing
    Burningman
    Bdsmcommunity
    Polyamory
    Socialism
    Gamerghazi
    Sysadmin, ExchangeServer
    Malelivingspace
    Cincinnati
    DJs, beatmatch, DJsetups
    NativeAmerican, IndianCountry, Navajo
    BlackLadies, BlackFellas

    Never all, news, front page stuff.

    TL DR on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Then they roll for initiative, nobody gets over a 6

    PLA
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    is polyamory a hobby

    bowen on
    Ladies.
    21stCentury
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I spend a fair amount of time on reddit

    r/bushcraft
    r/myog (make your own gear)
    r/survival
    r/blackpowder
    r/archery (r/chery will also direct there :D )
    r/homesteading
    r/diy

    etc.


    Arch wrote: »

    I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Looks in crystal ball and sees...

    Doctor Who
    Directed by Tim Burton
    Starring
    Johnny Depp as The Doctor
    Helena Bonham Carter as Missy

    Noooooooo......
    im down

  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    I got a free sex toy yesterday but I dunno what to do with it :-/

    Uh, sex it. Obviously.

    spool32
  • descdesc said baby boy you’re only funky as your last cut Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Then they roll for initiative, nobody gets over a 6

    This lazy party

    spool32override367
This discussion has been closed.