As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

<3 PAX East 2017 Fancy Dinner <3

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I'll see what I can come up with, suburban monster that I have become

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    These aren't real recs, because I haven't been to these places, but just some leads.

OAK Long Bar + Kitchen in Back Bay
    Ocean Prime in the Seaport
    Forage in Cambridge

These venues all do parties of our awkward size with private rooms.

I would wait to hear back from Hops Test Kitchen, that place is great, and I have actually been there.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    These aren't real recs, because I haven't been to these places, but just some leads.

Forage in Cambridge

I would wait to hear back from Hops Test Kitchen, that place is great, and I have actually been there.

Thanks. Jotting these down, gonna call Hops Test to be like DID YOU GET MY GODDAMN EMAIL

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Someone who isn't a troll (aka me) should call the place that Spool and a few of us ended up at last year. It's a French place with varyingly-sized rooms.

Delmain wrote: »
    Someone who isn't a troll (aka me) should call the place that Spool and a few of us ended up at last year. It's a French place with varyingly-sized rooms.

i already did and it's $$$$$$

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

Forage in Cambridge

what's that place we went to with a foodie menu where vh ate like, 7 bowls of the pickled green bean appetizers?

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2017

Forage in Cambridge

what's that place we went to with a foodie menu where vh ate like, 7 bowls of the pickled green bean appetizers?

that tapas place was real good but i'm p sure we each spent a good hundred bucks and we didn't even order much alcohol

also my strongest memory isn't vh loving green beans, it's you trying to neck kiss that waitress

Organichu on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Forage in Cambridge

I believe that is Alden & Harlow.

How many of y'all are up to take out a line of credit for this meal.

Will has recommended this place I just want to be sure that people are ok with Japanese food: https://hojokoboston.com/

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    also my strongest memory isn't vh loving green beans, it's you trying to neck kiss that waitress

first of all she was in love with ME not the other way round

as the bad boy of the group, I often find myself having to fight off admirers

FYI HTH Ive delegated followup on Hops Test to Will since he has an in with the staff

So far Commonwealth looks promising: http://commonwealthcambridge.com/privateventscatering/

Menu: http://commonwealthcambridge.com/s/Prix-Fixe-Dinner-Winter-2017-spcd.pdf

Works out to $91/person (tax/fees/grat included) AND that covers the minimum for the Market space which they clear out and put a table in and it looks fun and hip and shit

Market+3.jpeg

lemme know your thoughts, still scoping out places but it's a lot of work; going down the list one by one but if anyone wants to help me out by giving some places a call and giving me the skinny on the following details:

1. Prix Fixe/person cost + any tax, gratuity, and admin fee %
    2. If a room available, food and beverage minimum for the space, and if the cumulative cost of the prix fixe (sans fees) counts toward the minimum
    3. If no room, if can accommodate 23 in main dining area

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Will has recommended this place I just want to be sure that people are ok with Japanese food: https://hojokoboston.com/

OMG, it is both hipster and Weeb. So amazing.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Those pickled green beans were fucking delicious.

vRyue2p.png
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Not sure if you're still looking for leads, and the Asgard is perhaps not classy enough for this, but I like it and they have private rooms that you can book for parties of 25+ (couldn't find pricing details on their website).

http://www.classicirish.com/asgard-home.php

Steam, LoL: credeiki
    Hops Test Kitchen emailed me back; they look very promising. $45/person for the Prix Fixe and there doesn't appear to be a minimum and LO AND BEHOLD they confirmed that everyone could start a separate tabs for drinks on separate cards MEIN GOTT HALLELUJAH

With gratuity, tax and assumed fee it would work out to $61/person plus any drinks you choose to get on your own. It's also been highly recommended by Will and DK. Only issue is that it isn't a private room, but that isn't an issue to me in particular--let me know what y'all think

Here is the dinner menu (if we go here i will work with them to make a prix fixe): http://hopsnscotchbar.com/cambridge-dinner/

looks gud

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    looks delicious

edited February 2017
    Ok I'm tired and have sunk 2 hrs into this today already here is a summary. I have put ** next to ones i think are promising

Hops Test Kitchen**
    http://hopsnscotchbar.com/hops-n-scotch-testkitchen/
    No Private Room
    Base $61/person
    NO INFO RE: F&B MINIMUM

Marliave
    http://www.marliave.com/home/
    Private Room
    Base $69/person (including fees)
    est. $75 average/person on top for F&B Minimum

Menton
    http://www.mentonboston.com/
    Private Room
    Base $144/person (including fees)
    est. $25 average/person on top for F&B Minimum

Commonwealth Cambridge**
    http://commonwealthcambridge.com/
    Private Room (Marketplace setting)
    Base $91/person (including fees)
    est. Z E R O average/person on top for F&B Minimum

Hojoko - STILL AWAITING RESPONSE**
    https://hojokoboston.com/
    Semi-Private Space
    Base $66/person OR $88/person depending on prix fixe options (including fees)
    NO INFO RE: F&B MINIMUM
    ALSO HAS OPEN BAR OPTION (full open bar for 4 hours = $95/person)

Grill 23
    http://grill23.com/private-dining/rooms-and-descriptions/
    Private Space Exeter Room
    Base $119/person for lowest prix fixe (including fees)
    est. $32 average/person on top for F&B Minimum

Granary Tavern
    http://www.granarytavern.com/
    Semi-Private Space ($1,500 F&B Minimum) or Private Space ($3,000 F&B Minimum)
    Base $60/person (including fees)
    Semi-Private Space est. $20 average/person on top for F&B Minimum
    Private Space est. $85 average/person on top for F&B Minimum

Hakkekage on
    BTW Hops Test is a lil casual and way out in Cambridge but IMO is the most reasonable and has been vouched for

Hoping to make a solid decision by Friday so we can book the space and get the menus together and if I don't get a clear idea on preferences by then I'll probably pull the trigger on it

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Let's be real. Commonwealth's Family Style sides miiiiggggghhhhtttt be an issue.

Menton and Grill 23 are absolutely bananas.

Marliave only meets the minimum if we can get a min of 27 people, two of which are willing to make a serious commitment to the bar tab.

Granary's Semi Private Space has a bar which would be good for post dinner drinking.

Hops sounds cool, but it's not fancy and we wouldn't have a room to cosplay fancy. Could this be downgraded to a smart casual dinner (no jeans, t shirt, naruto headband)?

Deebaser on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Do any of the bostons know a baby sitter?

will has never steered me wrong before with food so i say hops unless at the last minute they insist we wear trump masks or something

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I don't have a super strong opinion.

I'd actually prefer the semi private space at Hojoko. But Hops Test seems fine. I don't drink unless there's a direct request for me to get plastered so I could care less about how getting alcohols work.

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Hops Test Kitchen emailed me back; they look very promising. $45/person for the Prix Fixe and there doesn't appear to be a minimum and LO AND BEHOLD they confirmed that everyone could start a separate tabs for drinks on separate cards MEIN GOTT HALLELUJAH

With gratuity, tax and assumed fee it would work out to $61/person plus any drinks you choose to get on your own. It's also been highly recommended by Will and DK. Only issue is that it isn't a private room, but that isn't an issue to me in particular--let me know what y'all think

Here is the dinner menu (if we go here i will work with them to make a prix fixe): http://hopsnscotchbar.com/cambridge-dinner/

frankie and i are planning to swing by Hops after work. I'll ask Kenny any questions anyone has.

Hops is a neat restaurant. The head chef, Brian, was the sous chef at Menton ($$$ Barbara lynch French restaurant) before starting the food program at Hops. His food is great, and really a great value. I recommend it without reservations.

I told Hakks that Hojoko was created in a secret government lab to appeal to nerd weebs but still have enough hipster authenticity and actual culinary chops to avoid embarrassing the rest of us. I went there for Frankie's company holiday party and drank my way through their open bar. It was a delight. It might be a little out of the logistics/ price range for the fancy dinner, but you dorks should check it out while you're in Boston. Be forewarned that you'll probably need reservations.

I've been to commonwealth a time or two. It t was fine. Kind of rustic decor, kind of mainstream meals and preparations. Safe for any of you with babymouth predilections. If ordering off the menu, it's IMO kind of spendy for what you get (because all the sides are extra money a la carte), but I don't really have anything bad to say about the food.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Also I've not been to Granary Tavern, but it's right near Faneuil Hall/ Greenway which means probably aimed at babymouth tourists. Also has a bullshit pub menu IMO. Sets off a lot of alarms for me, but if you guys know something different about it (or if these things are things you're into) then I guess I'm game for whatever.

Wqdwp8l.png
    This babymouth hatespeech...

Deebaser wrote: »
    Could this be downgraded to a smart casual dinner (no jeans, t shirt, naruto headband)?

"Smart casual" is for suburban dads, deebs. Everyone ends up looking like they work at best buy

Wqdwp8l.png
    Will! If you're going there today, ask the below. I haven't gotten an email back yet:
    Please let me know what the absolute latest time to confirm the reservation is.

I have a few more questions, if that's ok:

1) Do you have any photos of the layout of the space and where the party would be seated?

2) Is there a food and beverage minimum that the party would have to meet above the $45/person prix fixe?

3) In addition to to 19% gratuity and assumed 7% tax, are there additional fees I should be mindful of?

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Could this be downgraded to a smart casual dinner (no jeans, t shirt, naruto headband)?

"Smart casual" is for suburban dads, deebs. Everyone ends up looking like they work at best buy

yeah regardlessof where we go we should be F A N C Y

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
    Will! If you're going there today, ask the below. I haven't gotten an email back yet:

1) Do you have any photos of the layout of the space and where the party would be seated?

2) Is there a food and beverage minimum that the party would have to meet above the $45/person prix fixe?

3) In addition to to 19% gratuity and assumed 7% tax, are there additional fees I should be mindful of?

I'll take some photos. It's not a super fancy space, but it's fine - elevated dining area, good bar, raw bar, etc.

I'll ask about the other stuff.

Wqdwp8l.png
    I don't own a jacket or anything so

Organichu wrote: »
    I don't own a jacket or anything so

Chu you have been consistently fancy in the past as recently as last year and I believe in you to be as appropriately fancy as is required

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I'm confirming because @Hakkekage sent several very vituperative texts re: confirmation

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    Fake news, lies. They were not vituperative, they were STERN.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Wait, I'm still not sure I'm coming yet (waiting on confirmation from work). Am I going to be fucked if I don't confirm soon?

vRyue2p.png
    Wait, I'm still not sure I'm coming yet (waiting on confirmation from work). Am I going to be fucked if I don't confirm soon?

No, though by next week would be nice. Am sure they can accommodate +/-3 variation in our numbers

Oh I'll know by tomorrow at the latest. Whew.

vRyue2p.png

No hidden charges, no minimum. I talked with the owner and he said they'd do right by us. Here are a couple photos of the dining area and the bar:

Wqdwp8l.png
    mb4yoe8smi77.jpg
    872aho6ccu73.jpg

Wqdwp8l.png
    4) Are there any events occuring on the same night, like, I dunno, just pulling something out of thing air, a karaoke night?

vRyue2p.png