As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat [chat]

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I've always been more interested in the benefits vs salary.

I mean like if it was some ridiculous 40K increase in salary that's one thing, but if it's not more than 5-10k difference then I'll easily take less than I asked for (provided it's more than I make now) for an extra week of PTO or stock options or anything that helps me a) work less and b) retire early.

My work sends me papers to brag about their benefits spending. At first I was dismissive then I see they spend more on benes than my salary

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

I mean like if it was some ridiculous 40K increase in salary that's one thing, but if it's not more than 5-10k difference then I'll easily take less than I asked for (provided it's more than I make now) for an extra week of PTO or stock options or anything that helps me a) work less and b) retire early.

My work sends me papers to brag about their benefits spending. At first I was dismissive then I see they spend more on benes than my salary

yeah i get a letter every end of year that's like

here's how much we gave you in salary

here's the cash value of all your benefits

here's how much we really spent on you you expensive fuck

but it's nice to have for comparison and i get why they do it since they spend a lot on benefits gotta make sure employees know how good they have it

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    It's wild that more and more, I see Americans discuss a job in terms of it's insurance and benefits plan, not it's wage

Like to an extent that has always been a thing, but nowadays I see more Americans just straight not giving a fuck how much a job pays if the health plan is good

This feels like perhaps the most onerous form of company scrip out there

Yeah like its super offensive and gross to me and I'm having difficulty putting it into words because it seems so obvious

Like I don't blame individual Americans for thinking this way, that's a reasonable response to the situation. It's the situation I find gross.

It's incredibly gross, and yet another barrier to upward mobility for anybody not already incredibly wealthy. I find our system here in the States to be embarrassingly and shamefully awful.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    It's wild that more and more, I see Americans discuss a job in terms of it's insurance and benefits plan, not it's wage

Like to an extent that has always been a thing, but nowadays I see more Americans just straight not giving a fuck how much a job pays if the health plan is good

Yeah like its super offensive and gross to me and I'm having difficulty putting it into words because it seems so obvious

Like I don't blame individual Americans for thinking this way, that's a reasonable response to the situation. It's the situation I find gross.

It's incredibly gross, and yet another barrier to upward mobility for anybody not already incredibly wealthy. I find our system here in the States to be embarrassingly and shamefully awful.

disagree.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    You know, I've been on PA for almost 10 years and just found out about a month ago that bleric is spools kid.

Here's a mindblow: Do you think she's the only one here?

Y...yes?

One of my brothers posts here too, as Squeakel

This revelation has shaken me to the core.

Paging @Squeakel

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    jungle do you live under a rock

because the only way you didn't pick up on that is if you lived under a rock

It's ok you can trust me

N-no... I mean... well kinda...

I've been having a bad couple years!

"Havelock2.0"

oh also you can't trust him

Yep!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    My dreams have been messed up recently. So if window to alternate universes they are all post apocalyptic ... for the most part.

In one I was defending the back door of my parents house from zombie burglars. The lock on the door being this huge, unnecessary multi lock that was like a game puzzle.

Last night I was walking around in this gigantic group of RVs parked in this salt lake getting hit on by sweaty latino and native women.

*tugs collar*

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    it's a goddamn listicle

p10 it seems like you've been more saucy lately

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.

disagree.

Elaborate.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

disagree.

Elaborate.

Hammertime.

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Companies pay a shload for benefits. It's one of the reasons things are so messed up. Without an employer that gives benefits, the cost for healthcare (in states with shitty versions of the ACA exchange) is nuts. Like, how are you supposed to even think of starting a small business when so much of your income would go directly to getting healthcare.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    someone buy 4 htc vives and give me one and give 2 to two other chatters so we can play that star trek bridge game

We already have three [chat]ters with Vives, so...

vRyue2p.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i'm real interested in like, the vacation/pto/sick time policy

because 4 weeks vs 2 weeks is a huge qol difference for me

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    it's a goddamn listicle

the terrible 4s

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    What is a real head trip is encountering Americans who get defensive about this situation.

Like I was playing GTA Online with my crew, who are dudes from around the world including a few Americans, and the one American dude (who I will call Jamie as that was his name) was crowing about how his new job is only a dollar above minimum wage so he's making less money per hour than his last job, but now he has benefits and a better health insurance and when you factor the reduced medical bills he's actually making more money in the aggregate.

And even though I was trying to be happy for him I couldn't help but suck my teeth because that's super fucked up! And he picked up on my half-hearted enthusiasm, and when I tried to explain how it just kinda sucks that is the kind of situation he's in, like I'm glad it's improving but dang man.

And he was like "well what other way could it be?" and I was like well idk man but the kind of stuff you're talking about costing you hundreds of dollars for in medical costs, my wife and I pay into provincial health insurance like $150 a month for the two of us and he immediately got defensive and shitty about THE GOVERNMENT getting involved in healthcare and government bureaucracy and wait times and just...

I dropped it. It was fucking sad.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

disagree.

Elaborate.

I just don't think our system is super gross and awful and shameful because companies spend money on benefits rather than salary, when a lot of those benefits help a fuckton more than an extra 5K a year for a lot of people.

I think it was a very extreme comment.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »

Companies pay a shload for benefits. It's one of the reasons things are so messed up. Without an employer that gives benefits, the cost for healthcare (in states with shitty versions of the ACA exchange) is nuts. Like, how are you supposed to even think of starting a small business when so much of your income would go directly to getting healthcare.

A friend of mine closed down her relatively successful one-woman-shop consulting business (she was getting plenty of hours, charging market rates) and went back to being an employee because she couldn't afford her healthcare after getting sick and needing to use it.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I want salary because maybe if it's big enough I'll be happy

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    What is a real head trip is encountering Americans who get defensive about this situation.

Like I was playing GTA Online with my crew, who are dudes from around the world including a few Americans, and the one American dude (who I will call Jamie as that was his name) was crowing about how his new job is only a dollar above minimum wage so he's making less money per hour than his last job, but now he has benefits and a better health insurance and when you factor the reduced medical bills he's actually making more money in the aggregate.

And even though I was trying to be happy for him I couldn't help but suck my teeth because that's super fucked up! And he picked up on my half-hearted enthusiasm, and when I tried to explain how it just kinda sucks that is the kind of situation he's in, like I'm glad it's improving but dang man.

And he was like "well what other way could it be?" and I was like well idk man but the kind of stuff you're talking about costing you hundreds of dollars for in medical costs, my wife and I pay into provincial health insurance like $150 a month for the two of us and he immediately got defensive and shitty about THE GOVERNMENT getting involved in healthcare and government bureaucracy and wait times and just...

If there's any wonder why we don't have medicare for all, it's people like him and their voting patterns.

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

My mom's husband sister had a lot to say about this when we talked about healthcare over Christmas. She believed that without healthcare being linked to employers, young people wouldn't feel as pressured to work and be productive. With my mom sitting right there, who had no insurance because she'd been forced into retirement and wasn't yet eligible for Medicare.

a
    I want salary because maybe if it's big enough I'll be happy

you size queen

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    @Blameless Cleric we should get back to that project. I think it has real potential :).

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    edited February 2017

i don't know a lot about high end, premium medicine- but from what i understand america is indeed one of/the best at like, hundred thousand dollar heart surgeries? especially good aftercare and hospital comfort and stuff during recovery

but what you're describing is basically gospel to a lot of people. it is a memetic truth for many politically conscious people that healthcare is free elsewhere but that it entails worse care- half a year waits for xrays, 12 hours waiting in the ER for serious injuries, underprescribing essential meds due to cost, etc

i'm glad i grew up overseas receiving absolutely excellent medical care in israel and germany or i probably would have been snared by this garbage too as a 15 year old libertarian

(i think spool had some unsatisfactory medical care in ireland? and even he is a proponent of uhc iirc)

Organichu on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Maybe, y'know, the whole idea of health insurance being tied to your employer is insane and corrupt and evil?

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Oh my god.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I would legit pay vanilla $100, myself, to develop an addon to the forums that made gifs load a preview image with a play button and a filesize next to it.

Organichu wrote: »

i don't know a lot about high end, premium medicine- but from what i understand america is indeed one of/the best at like, hundred thousand dollar heart surgeries? especially good aftercare and hospital comfort and stuff during recovery

but what you're describing is basically gospel to a lot of people. it is a memetic truth for many politically conscious people that healthcare is free elsewhere but that it entails worse care- half a year waits for xrays, 12 hours waiting in the ER for serious injuries, underprescribing essential meds due to cost, etc

i'm glad i grew up overseas receiving absolutely excellent medical care in israel and germany or i probably would have been snared by this garbage too as a 15 year old libertarian

(i think spool had some unsatisfactory medical care in ireland? and even he is a proponent of uhc iirc)

The real comedy here is that WE in America have insane waits for Emergency Rooms, etc. It's not like we're getting the best and greatest for our money.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Maybe, y'know, the whole idea of health insurance being tied to your employer is insane and corrupt and evil?

well, i mean, so is the whole idea of health insurance

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • HounHoun Registered User regular

PTO isn't a big QoL thing if you never use it.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I use the shit out of my vacation. I know people who have use or lose balances at the end of every year

I am like hahahahahaha you're an idiot

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Hahaha holy shit

the tech guy was cleaning out a closet

I just got handed a box of floppy discs (with stuff on them, gotta find a floppy drive!)

AND TWO UNOPENED SOUND BLASTER CARDS

I opened one, IT HAD AN AOL DISC IN IT

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

The fear for americans is that we'd lose the health benefits, get no increase in our salary for the loss of benefit and pay more in taxes to cover UHC. Because American employers routinely fuck their employees to the limit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Last time i was in an ER I had to scream incoherently at people to get their attention

edited February 2017

disagree.

Elaborate.

I just don't think our system is super gross and awful and shameful because companies spend money on benefits rather than salary, when a lot of those benefits help a fuckton more than an extra 5K a year for a lot of people.

I think it was a very extreme comment.

Ah I see. The companies providing benefits aren't what's disgusting and shameful. That's the best option available in the shameful disgusting system that we have chosen for ourselves (cripplingly expensive, mandatory, adversarial, for-profit health insurance)

The fact that we absolutely desperately need and are tied down to our employer funded health care is the gross part of the system.

Kid Presentable on
    Houn wrote: »

PTO isn't a big QoL thing if you never use it.

sure, corporate culture pressuring you not to use PTO is a big deal. if i had unlimited vacation but knew it'd be unpleasant to use more than 3 weeks, i'd regard that as 3 weeks

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »

My mom's husband sister had a lot to say about this when we talked about healthcare over Christmas. She believed that without healthcare being linked to employers, young people wouldn't feel as pressured to work and be productive. With my mom sitting right there, who had no insurance because she'd been forced into retirement and wasn't yet eligible for Medicare.

yes, the only reason young people work is to get health insurance

you know those young people, always so concerned about their health and always getting sick, it's their number 1 priority

certainly they wouldn't be motivated by silly things like being paid money

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    it's a goddamn listicle

that's interesting, actually. perhaps things have been spilling over

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    Ludious wrote: »
    I use the shit out of my vacation. I know people who have use or lose balances at the end of every year

I am like hahahahahaha you're an idiot

Yeah, there's no way you'd catch me losing days at the end of the year.

Some folks are just work a holics though.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Kumail Nanjiani being in the new Mass Effect has me super excited.

I love that guy. I hope whatever salarian he plays shows up for more than one scene and ideally is bigger character.

This discussion has been closed.