As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cat [chat]

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    What is a real head trip is encountering Americans who get defensive about this situation.

Like I was playing GTA Online with my crew, who are dudes from around the world including a few Americans, and the one American dude (who I will call Jamie as that was his name) was crowing about how his new job is only a dollar above minimum wage so he's making less money per hour than his last job, but now he has benefits and a better health insurance and when you factor the reduced medical bills he's actually making more money in the aggregate.

And even though I was trying to be happy for him I couldn't help but suck my teeth because that's super fucked up! And he picked up on my half-hearted enthusiasm, and when I tried to explain how it just kinda sucks that is the kind of situation he's in, like I'm glad it's improving but dang man.

And he was like "well what other way could it be?" and I was like well idk man but the kind of stuff you're talking about costing you hundreds of dollars for in medical costs, my wife and I pay into provincial health insurance like $150 a month for the two of us and he immediately got defensive and shitty about THE GOVERNMENT getting involved in healthcare and government bureaucracy and wait times and just...

I dropped it. It was fucking sad.

i don't know a lot about high end, premium medicine- but from what i understand america is indeed one of/the best at like, hundred thousand dollar heart surgeries? especially good aftercare and hospital comfort and stuff during recovery

but what you're describing is basically gospel to a lot of people. it is a memetic truth for many politically conscious people that healthcare is free elsewhere but that it entails worse care- half a year waits for xrays, 12 hours waiting in the ER for serious injuries, underprescribing essential meds due to cost, etc

i'm glad i grew up overseas receiving absolutely excellent medical care in israel and germany or i probably would have been snared by this garbage too as a 15 year old libertarian

(i think spool had some unsatisfactory medical care in ireland? and even he is a proponent of uhc iirc)

I had extremely unsatisfactory healthcare overseas and observed a relatively casual political attitude to dire care coupled with a belief that it was actually good.

But i am being America, Fuck Yeah about this and believe that we could make the most kickass universal system in the world because the USA is the Best Country when we remember to act like it.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I use the shit out of my vacation. I know people who have use or lose balances at the end of every year

I am like hahahahahaha you're an idiot

Yeah, there's no way you'd catch me losing days at the end of the year.

Some folks are just work a holics though.

Or can never get the days off approved/shamed into not taking them.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    What is a real head trip is encountering Americans who get defensive about this situation.

Like I was playing GTA Online with my crew, who are dudes from around the world including a few Americans, and the one American dude (who I will call Jamie as that was his name) was crowing about how his new job is only a dollar above minimum wage so he's making less money per hour than his last job, but now he has benefits and a better health insurance and when you factor the reduced medical bills he's actually making more money in the aggregate.

And even though I was trying to be happy for him I couldn't help but suck my teeth because that's super fucked up! And he picked up on my half-hearted enthusiasm, and when I tried to explain how it just kinda sucks that is the kind of situation he's in, like I'm glad it's improving but dang man.

And he was like "well what other way could it be?" and I was like well idk man but the kind of stuff you're talking about costing you hundreds of dollars for in medical costs, my wife and I pay into provincial health insurance like $150 a month for the two of us and he immediately got defensive and shitty about THE GOVERNMENT getting involved in healthcare and government bureaucracy and wait times and just...

i don't know a lot about high end, premium medicine- but from what i understand america is indeed one of/the best at like, hundred thousand dollar heart surgeries? especially good aftercare and hospital comfort and stuff during recovery

but what you're describing is basically gospel to a lot of people. it is a memetic truth for many politically conscious people that healthcare is free elsewhere but that it entails worse care- half a year waits for xrays, 12 hours waiting in the ER for serious injuries, underprescribing essential meds due to cost, etc

i'm glad i grew up overseas receiving absolutely excellent medical care in israel and germany or i probably would have been snared by this garbage too as a 15 year old libertarian

(i think spool had some unsatisfactory medical care in ireland? and even he is a proponent of uhc iirc)

The real comedy here is that WE in America have insane waits for Emergency Rooms, etc. It's not like we're getting the best and greatest for our money.

Yeah. The US spends more money on healthcare than any other country on Earth, but actually doesn't have the best healthcare?

(France does, in case you're wondering)

The US overspends in the dumbest ways. Doctors and hospitals exploit technicalities in how insurance policy works to engage in unnecessary and expensive testing simply because they get paid more for doing it, which increases wait times for all kinds of stuff.

An American buddy of mine tried to talk shit about UHC and wait times and I pointed out that he waited four months to get a MRI to find out if he had cancer. He was like "yeah because I couldn't afford it" and I damn near had a stroke.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Kumail Nanjiani being in the new Mass Effect has me super excited.

I love that guy. I hope whatever salarian he plays shows up for more than one scene and ideally is bigger character.

I follow him on twitter. I love that guy and feel deeply for him post election as he is pretty damn transparent and honest about his fears as an immigrant

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Maybe, y'know, the whole idea of health insurance being tied to your employer is insane and corrupt and evil?

The fear for americans is that we'd lose the health benefits, get no increase in our salary for the loss of benefit and pay more in taxes to cover UHC. Because American employers routinely fuck their employees to the limit.

That's a legitimate fear isn't it? Employers aren't going to funnel that money down to their employees if they're not somehow forced to.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Hahaha holy shit

the tech guy was cleaning out a closet

I just got handed a box of floppy discs (with stuff on them, gotta find a floppy drive!)

AND TWO UNOPENED SOUND BLASTER CARDS

I opened one, IT HAD AN AOL DISC IN IT

I know its work and all but, i can't remember the specifics of the chipset, but there is a widely sought midi chipset that people pay good money for on old sounblaster cards.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Maybe, y'know, the whole idea of health insurance being tied to your employer is insane and corrupt and evil?

The fear for americans is that we'd lose the health benefits, get no increase in our salary for the loss of benefit and pay more in taxes to cover UHC. Because American employers routinely fuck their employees to the limit.

That's a legitimate fear isn't it? Employers aren't going to funnel that money down to their employees if they're not somehow forced to.

eeeeh

I mean min-wage jobs will probably stay min-wage

but other stuff would adjust upward, there is some competition for labor after all

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

I had extremely unsatisfactory healthcare overseas and observed a relatively casual political attitude to dire care coupled with a belief that it was actually good.

But i am being America, Fuck Yeah about this and believe that we could make the most kickass universal system in the world because the USA is the Best Country when we remember to act like it.

Spool you really took me for a ride with this post and I love the message of your conclusion.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    i'm real interested in like, the vacation/pto/sick time policy

because 4 weeks vs 2 weeks is a huge qol difference for me

PTO isn't a big QoL thing if you never use it.

sure, corporate culture pressuring you not to use PTO is a big deal. if i had unlimited vacation but knew it'd be unpleasant to use more than 3 weeks, i'd regard that as 3 weeks

I, uh, regularly get asked to use PTO near the end of the fiscal year so they don't have so much PTO floating on the balance sheets.

I haven't looked, but I suspect I'm near 250 hours banked.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I don't actually watch anything trump has to say directly (it's part of why I'm mostly fairly sane on this stuff these days)

But apparently right now, or maybe a few moments ago, he is having a press conference and is literally flow of conscious ranting about things at a press conference designed for his new labor secretary pick.

Topics include electoral college win, drugs being cheaper than candybars, and an out of control media.

I think this one tweet sums it up nicely.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I had a weird dream about ESI and I wake up and come to you uninformed, unwashed, uninsured masses and this is what y'all are talking about

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Also spool since you don't bother giving ME fatherly advice I'm just going to make the blunderbuss and flintlock all kitted out and keep the percussion rifle stock.

I knew you could make a solid choice if i gave you the space to find your way there.

I'm going to shoot a bullet toward Texas this weekend Spool.

hey I'll be there!

make sure your aim is true

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Hahaha holy shit

I just got handed a box of floppy discs (with stuff on them, gotta find a floppy drive!)

I know its work and all but, i can't remember the specifics of the chipset, but there is a widely sought midi chipset that people pay good money for on old sounblaster cards.

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Sound-Blaster-Card/dp/B00000J579 is what I got so probably nothing too fancy. Hilarious and cool though.

• Options

It totally is. The worry being despite no longer having to worry about being bankrupted for health issues, people would have less money in their pocket overall and so they wouldn't see the benefit of UHC, but would see all the downsides of it with a higher tax bill.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    UHC isn't perfect. Canada's UHC is actually pretty shitty and makes for a terrible comparison when trying to sell Americans on it, because it doesn't cover a lot of stuff other countries with proper UHC do.

Like, Canada's UHC doesn't cover drugs, dental, or optical. You have to get that stuff either through your employer, or through a special provincial plan that is super limited if you are unemployed/work a place with no benefits.

I have a pretty decent drug/dental plan that is covered by my wife's work's insurance.

In countries with proper UHC (France, Denmark, Belgium, etc.) this is not the case. France even covers shit like RMT and physiotherapy.

Pony on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

sure, corporate culture pressuring you not to use PTO is a big deal. if i had unlimited vacation but knew it'd be unpleasant to use more than 3 weeks, i'd regard that as 3 weeks

I, uh, regularly get asked to use PTO near the end of the fiscal year so they don't have so much PTO floating on the balance sheets.

oh yeah that ain't me

if pto is offered i will use it

i spent the first 15 years of my life with 1 week (or 0 pto period), so i am glad to bite up every bit i can find

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Kumail Nanjiani being in the new Mass Effect has me super excited.

I love that guy. I hope whatever salarian he plays shows up for more than one scene and ideally is bigger character.

I follow him on twitter. I love that guy and feel deeply for him post election as he is pretty damn transparent and honest about his fears as an immigrant

yeah, he's p. good. paul f. tomkins is a good follow as well.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Hahaha holy shit

@SniperGuy @Jubal77 Original Sound Blaster 16/32/64 with a DSP version of 4.05 or 4.16 are the sought after ones, I believe.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

oh yeah that ain't me

i spent the first 15 years of my life with 1 week (or 0 pto period), so i am glad to bite up every bit i can find

My employer gives every employee who hits 10 years with the company $3000 and five days "free" PTO to take a trip as a thank you for the time and loyalty.

Mine's on track to expire, unused, in a few months.

I'm pretty terrible. I do not know how to vacation.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Heathcare falls in the "shit we can do nothing about but do the best with it we can" category. It changed a bit for the better but that pissed off half of us and so now we are going the other way.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

eeeeh

but other stuff would adjust upward, there is some competition for labor after all

There's labor competition?

Besides being forced to accept lower wages to compete with H1-B visa workers?

• Options

eeeeh

aaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Options

*colbert popcorn*

BEHOLD YOUR EMPEROR AND HIS FINE CLOTHES

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    If I don't use all my leave days each year my supervisors get dinged.

Huzzah socialism!

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

I would buy Medicare in a fucking heartbeat

*Medicare parts A&B with prescription coverage

After my mom had a state subsidized insurance dude walk her through getting prescription coverage and part A&B she's paying like $180 a month for thousands of dollars of meds a month

Even if you just charged people 18-40 the same price in the aggregate the tax bill wouldn't be that much higher, because they consume far less care than the current medicare recipients

Then fuck, it's only one step to not needing the mandate because they just take another $100 out of each paycheck in taxes but in exchange I'm auto enrolled in healthcare

override367 on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Last time i was in an ER I had to scream incoherently at people to get their attention
    To be fair, I scream incoherently at everyone to get their attention.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    EM sounding very spiritual to me right now.

No, we can't define consciousness with a purely physical paradigm.

yet

Yeah don't get all god of the gaps cmon now

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I would legit pay vanilla $100, myself, to develop an addon to the forums that made gifs load a preview image with a play button and a filesize next to it.

it could probably be done with a browser extension

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Caseals look too human in recent games. I think they were still fine in Portable 2.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Universal healthcare doesn't necessarily mean X times longer waiting periods for everything. As long as politicians are motivated to keep it doing alright. Governments will save money where governments can - pay less and draw less people to the professions in that sector. Important to keep those in charge motivated to take care of the sector.

I'll sit in the ER for 12h if it means that I'm sitting in line because people didn't choose to stay home and risk their health in order to not go bankrupt though.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

eeeeh

You shouldn't be competing with them.

Unless said employer was being abusive of the H1-B visa approval process.

Which is so common we go right back to what you said.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

eeeeh

H1Bs are a red herring

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

It totally is. The worry being despite no longer having to worry about being bankrupted for health issues, people would have less money in their pocket overall and so they wouldn't see the benefit of UHC, but would see all the downsides of it with a higher tax bill.

increase payroll taxes, bingo bango bongo done

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The US having super expensive healthcare is actually globally important. That money pays for all the R&D.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Americans' hatred of GUBBERMENT is really sad.

I blame the Fox Propaganda Channel.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    There's a bit of an issue with comparing outcomes and costs for healthcare between the USA and elsewhere, because the USA doesn't collect comprehensive statistics in the same way that the rest of the world does.

So, generally when you see US statistics they come with a giant asterisk that the population that is the subject of the data by definition excludes anyone who, for whatever reason, doesn't have access to healthcare.

Usually the most reliable stats that are directly comparable to those collated by national systems in other countries are collected by NGOs.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

oh yeah that ain't me

My employer gives every employee who hits 10 years with the company $3000 and five days "free" PTO to take a trip as a thank you for the time and loyalty.

Mine's on track to expire, unused, in a few months.

I'm pretty terrible. I do not know how to vacation.

Just... take the time off and don't go in to work. You don't have to take a trip somewhere.

A majority of my vacation days are spent taking long weekends to just chill.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Wait times in America are already garbage, I had health insurance and after spending many hours at the ER for bells palsy, it took 3 weeks before a neurologist could squeeze me in

I can't imagine they're much worse in Canada, although I'd wager that wait times are longer for non critical care

override367 on
  • Options
    Americans' hatred of GUBBERMENT is really sad.

I blame the Fox Propaganda Channel.

It was around a long time before Fox News, Saint Reagan echoed the mantra.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Like, there are my own countrymen who are dumb and defensive about healthcare and other issues.

Mostly it's that archetypal Canadian smugness where people think our UHC is actually good when in reality it's only "good" when compared to the US and the lack thereof. Compared to most of Western and Northern Europe our healthcare is kinda shit.

But there's also a lot of Canadians who think we are "progressive enough", like that we don't badly need to reform the federal Employment Insurance system that everyone is required by law to pay into but is basically horse shit when you need to use it, or trying to sell Canadians on the idea of Basic Guaranteed Income.

I'm to the left (to the left, to the left) of most Canadians who nonetheless see themselves as pretty progressive and left wing because they vote Liberal and they are, objectively, pretty progressive when compared to... the US.

This discussion has been closed.