As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat [chat]

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Hello [chat]

I am awfully depressed today.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Thank you for applying to the position of Biology Instructional Faculty (Academic) with [Community College]. We are pleased to inform you that your application has moved forward to the next step in the selection process. You will receive further instructions by email.

@Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Like shit man... at that point you are essentially working for free.. why would you do that?

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    The US having super expensive healthcare is actually globally important. That money pays for all the R&D.

having private money pay for all the R&D is objectively a bad thing

this is how you get 30 different penis pills while non-profitable diseases get shit-all in funding

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    The US having super expensive healthcare is actually globally important. That money pays for all the R&D.

Tax dollars pay for a significant percentage of R&D, and pharma comapnies spend more on advertising than they do R&D

override367 on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i'm real interested in like, the vacation/pto/sick time policy

because 4 weeks vs 2 weeks is a huge qol difference for me

PTO isn't a big QoL thing if you never use it.

sure, corporate culture pressuring you not to use PTO is a big deal. if i had unlimited vacation but knew it'd be unpleasant to use more than 3 weeks, i'd regard that as 3 weeks

I, uh, regularly get asked to use PTO near the end of the fiscal year so they don't have so much PTO floating on the balance sheets.

I haven't looked, but I suspect I'm near 250 hours banked.

oh yeah that ain't me

if pto is offered i will use it

i spent the first 15 years of my life with 1 week (or 0 pto period), so i am glad to bite up every bit i can find

My employer gives every employee who hits 10 years with the company $3000 and five days "free" PTO to take a trip as a thank you for the time and loyalty.

Mine's on track to expire, unused, in a few months.

I'm pretty terrible. I do not know how to vacation.

Just... take the time off and don't go in to work. You don't have to take a trip somewhere.

A majority of my vacation days are spent taking long weekends to just chill.

Well, for the ten year, you have to pay out of pocket and they re-imburse you. You must include a picture of the place we went.

(I have heard rumor of people just submitting a googled photo of an island and then using the cash for not-vacation shit, though.)

edited February 2017
    Aioua wrote: »

this is how you get 30 different penis pills while non-profitable diseases get shit-all in funding

They spend more money on research for new hair products then they do on new antibiotics

override367 on
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

sure, corporate culture pressuring you not to use PTO is a big deal. if i had unlimited vacation but knew it'd be unpleasant to use more than 3 weeks, i'd regard that as 3 weeks

I, uh, regularly get asked to use PTO near the end of the fiscal year so they don't have so much PTO floating on the balance sheets.

oh yeah that ain't me

i spent the first 15 years of my life with 1 week (or 0 pto period), so i am glad to bite up every bit i can find

My employer gives every employee who hits 10 years with the company $3000 and five days "free" PTO to take a trip as a thank you for the time and loyalty.

Just... take the time off and don't go in to work. You don't have to take a trip somewhere.

If I had vacation days I'd use them for this

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Wait times in America are already garbage, I had health insurance and after spending many hours at the ER for bells palsy, it took 3 weeks before a neurologist could squeeze me in

I can't imagine they're much worse in Canada, although I'd wager that wait times are longer for non critical care

according to the canadian side of my family, they wait less than we do for surgeries, but routine checkups have to be scheduled well in advance if you even want them to be a thing, but, near as I can tell, US as a whole waits longer on average than a Canadian for healthcare.

Unless you're a US citizen who is paying out of pocket, then you can get in within the week.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Maybe, y'know, the whole idea of health insurance being tied to your employer is insane and corrupt and evil?

The fear for americans is that we'd lose the health benefits, get no increase in our salary for the loss of benefit and pay more in taxes to cover UHC. Because American employers routinely fuck their employees to the limit.

That's a legitimate fear isn't it? Employers aren't going to funnel that money down to their employees if they're not somehow forced to.

eeeeh

I mean min-wage jobs will probably stay min-wage

but other stuff would adjust upward, there is some competition for labor after all

There's labor competition?

Besides being forced to accept lower wages to compete with H1-B visa workers?

H1Bs are a red herring

I keep hearing that.

If H1-Bs were used as they were supposed to be, I'd agree with you.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    When Trump starts rambling about the media being unfair to him I think about Nixon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo9FlPeKKzA

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

And no one can afford those anyway :P

oh yeah that ain't me

Well, for the ten year, you have to pay out of pocket and they re-imburse you. You must include a picture of the place we went.

(I have heard rumor of people just submitting a googled photo of an island and then using the cash for not-vacation shit, though.)

oh my god dude

take that vacation jesus

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

oh yeah that ain't me

Oh what?

That's weird as fuck. And kinda dumb.

BUT! Take a day trip somewhere and get the picture from there. Spend rest of time chilllllling at home. Beat the system man! Don't let it beat you!

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Americans' hatred of GUBBERMENT is really sad.

I blame the Fox Propaganda Channel.

Meh, it's not just Fox.

The US government has been working on their rep of not actually being the servants of the American people for a long time now. It's a lot like how the reputation of the police has eroded over the years. Too much institutionalized bullshit and horrible actions. Folks just stop trusting or thinking of that institution positively anymore.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I've done like 9hours in ER once, but I was really quite ok apart from high fever. They checked in every now and then.

I've had pancreatitis a lot and every time they've gotten painkillers immediately, even if a wait then followed that.

It's not really that you have to stand in line until any attention is paid to you.

PSN: Honkalot
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Seattle has a lot of bikini barista coffee huts. Somebody took it upon themselves to protest one of them with a sharpie marker:

6f3D8mnl.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I guess putting animated versions of your magazine covers on social media works,

H1-Bs are not the devil

they well could be though if the centrist dem bloc had their way

I guess putting animated versions of your magazine covers on social media works,

"This is fine"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I love how his tie is super long

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

this is a fantastic use of new media

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Good afternoon, [chat]

I accidentally yelled at all of Nargirl's family (her mom, brother, and sister) before I left for my appointments today.

I'm sure everything will be fine.

This is why I keep paying rent to have my own place. >_>

edited February 2017
    cptrugged wrote: »

Meh, it's not just Fox.

The US government has been working on their rep of not actually being the servants of the American people for a long time now. It's a lot like how the reputation of the police has eroded over the years. Too much institutionalized bullshit and horrible actions. Folks just stop trusting or thinking of that institution positively anymore.

Not really???

In general the people that put up with shittier wages to work for the government actually do care more than your average office drone

People go to the DMV and have a shit experience and think it has anything at all to do with Medicare or the USDA

These agencies are critically underfunded and undermanned, OSHA can only visit each workplace once per ten years on average, and even places like DMVs and local unemployment offices are shit because of our non stop assault on government employees on the state level

override367 on
  • A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    "Hey, the government is pretty bad at serving the people. What can we do to help?"

"I know! MAKE IT WORSE"

"YEAH"

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
    Time should've pulled their balls out and put the hammer and sickle on the desk instead of the US/presidential seal there.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The real red herring is the notion that we have a "STEM worker shortage" in this country.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    OMG, this r package produces notification sounds.

One of them is an orc peon saying "work complete."

This is so going into my code.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Good afternoon, [chat]

I accidentally yelled at all of Nargirl's family (her mom, brother, and sister) before I left for my appointments today.

"accidentally", huh

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    "Hey, the government is pretty bad at serving the people. What can we do to help?"

"I know! MAKE IT WORSE"

"YEAH"

"They suck so lets cut their staff by 20% and make them all work more hours for no additional pay"
    "We did that and their service actually got worse!"
    "What?! How does that make sense, institute a general hiring freeze and take away their pensions!"

• HounHoun Registered User regular

oh yeah that ain't me

oh my god dude

take that vacation jesus

Well, my problem is that I have no idea where I would go. $3000 isn't enough to actually do anything interesting with a family of 4. Also, my wife's social anxiety has her in a state where she's terrified of leaving the doggos at a kennel. Not to mention I myself kind of hate the idea of having to interact with people, new location or not.

*shrug*

I took tomorrow off, though! I'm going to do nothing. Baby steps!

The real red herring is the notion that we have a "STEM worker shortage" in this country.

US is suffering brain drain and funding issues in re: STEM

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    "The leaks are absolutely real. The news is fake."
    --Donald J Trump

I need some sizzle reel of special effects with that quote spinning around inside of it

Preacher wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Maybe, y'know, the whole idea of health insurance being tied to your employer is insane and corrupt and evil?

The fear for americans is that we'd lose the health benefits, get no increase in our salary for the loss of benefit and pay more in taxes to cover UHC. Because American employers routinely fuck their employees to the limit.

That's a legitimate fear isn't it? Employers aren't going to funnel that money down to their employees if they're not somehow forced to.

eeeeh

I mean min-wage jobs will probably stay min-wage

but other stuff would adjust upward, there is some competition for labor after all

There's labor competition?

Besides being forced to accept lower wages to compete with H1-B visa workers?

H1Bs are a red herring

I keep hearing that.

If H1-Bs were used as they were supposed to be, I'd agree with you.

how many H1Bs do you think are issued every year?

they're real bad for the people that hold them usually

but imo the tech industry's railing against them is generic othering and the real source of the problem is that tech skills simply aren't as valuable as the good old days, while other expenses--heathcare mainly--go up, and the general thing that's happening across all industries where the upper class is stealing all productivity increases

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Good afternoon, [chat]

how does one do this accidentally

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    OMG, this r package produces notification sounds.

One of them is an orc peon saying "work complete."

This is so going into my code.
    Zug zug
    We require more vespene gas

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

It's kinda frightening at times too. Especially as a gubberment person.

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I guess a Barista in a bikini may wish that folks would respect them enough to to treat them like adults who can make their own decisions.

edited February 2017

the skills gap is a myth almost across the board, employers need to stop seeing having to pay employees as an evil though, it benefits everyone in the long run if labor is well compensated

Somehow this is accepted wisdom in the world of executives but not for other types of employment

override367 on
  • A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    I'm getting angry and wound up, I think I'm gonna have to ignore [chat] for a while.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
This discussion has been closed.