As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat [chat]

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I'd never wear an agency shirt unless asked to at work for some reason.

Ever.

There's a reason for that.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The real red herring is the notion that we have a "STEM worker shortage" in this country.

"STEM shortage"

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Good afternoon, [chat]

I accidentally yelled at all of Nargirl's family (her mom, brother, and sister) before I left for my appointments today.

I'm sure everything will be fine.

This is why I keep paying rent to have my own place. >_>

When you say yell, was it an angry tirade or more like "manamana"

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Houn wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i'm real interested in like, the vacation/pto/sick time policy

because 4 weeks vs 2 weeks is a huge qol difference for me

PTO isn't a big QoL thing if you never use it.

sure, corporate culture pressuring you not to use PTO is a big deal. if i had unlimited vacation but knew it'd be unpleasant to use more than 3 weeks, i'd regard that as 3 weeks

I, uh, regularly get asked to use PTO near the end of the fiscal year so they don't have so much PTO floating on the balance sheets.

I haven't looked, but I suspect I'm near 250 hours banked.

oh yeah that ain't me

if pto is offered i will use it

i spent the first 15 years of my life with 1 week (or 0 pto period), so i am glad to bite up every bit i can find

My employer gives every employee who hits 10 years with the company $3000 and five days "free" PTO to take a trip as a thank you for the time and loyalty.

Mine's on track to expire, unused, in a few months.

I'm pretty terrible. I do not know how to vacation.

Just... take the time off and don't go in to work. You don't have to take a trip somewhere.

A majority of my vacation days are spent taking long weekends to just chill.

Well, for the ten year, you have to pay out of pocket and they re-imburse you. You must include a picture of the place we went.

(I have heard rumor of people just submitting a googled photo of an island and then using the cash for not-vacation shit, though.)

oh my god dude

take that vacation jesus

Well, my problem is that I have no idea where I would go. $3000 isn't enough to actually do anything interesting with a family of 4. Also, my wife's social anxiety has her in a state where she's terrified of leaving the doggos at a kennel. Not to mention I myself kind of hate the idea of having to interact with people, new location or not.

*shrug*

I took tomorrow off, though! I'm going to do nothing. Baby steps!

go stay at some cabin in the woods by a lake, bring doggos and kids

rent jetskis and shit

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    my ideal breastaurant would have a mix of people of different genders and body types i think

also cats

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Right now I have.....13 days of vacation

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    If there's a STEM shortage why are all my scientist friend unemployed or terrified of entering the labor marke

oh wait alt facts

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I guess a Barista in a bikini may wish that folks would respect them enough to to treat them like adults who can make their own decisions.

Yeah, this is kind of... on the one hand, it's pretty clearly pandering solely to the sex-sells ogling crowd. On the other hand, it's not like the women working there are forced to and may enjoy it/find it worth the mobey.

*shrug*. Que sera, sera

I ate an engineer
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Preacher wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Maybe, y'know, the whole idea of health insurance being tied to your employer is insane and corrupt and evil?

The fear for americans is that we'd lose the health benefits, get no increase in our salary for the loss of benefit and pay more in taxes to cover UHC. Because American employers routinely fuck their employees to the limit.

That's a legitimate fear isn't it? Employers aren't going to funnel that money down to their employees if they're not somehow forced to.

eeeeh

I mean min-wage jobs will probably stay min-wage

but other stuff would adjust upward, there is some competition for labor after all

There's labor competition?

Besides being forced to accept lower wages to compete with H1-B visa workers?

H1Bs are a red herring

I keep hearing that.

If H1-Bs were used as they were supposed to be, I'd agree with you.

how many H1Bs do you think are issued every year?

they're real bad for the people that hold them usually

but imo the tech industry's railing against them is generic othering and the real source of the problem is that tech skills simply aren't as valuable as the good old days, while other expenses--heathcare mainly--go up, and the general thing that's happening across all industries where the upper class is stealing all productivity increases

I can't say I agree, tech skills are pretty fucking valuable or the tech industry wouldn't keep pushing to expand the H1-B limit above 60k/year or whatever it's at

I'd say employers undervalue their tech infrastructure to their own detriment extremely frequently though!

override367 on
    right that's what I'm saying

there isn't a squeeze on tech salaries because of an influx of ~foreign workers~

it's because every kid who grew up in the 90's went and got a CS degree

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    The real red herring is the notion that we have a "STEM worker shortage" in this country.

"STEM shortage"

bookmarking this so hard

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    GOOD AFTERNOON GOOD SIR WILL YOU PLEASE SIGN THIS CONFESSION?

WHY THANK YOU

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Americans' hatred of GUBBERMENT is really sad.

I blame the Fox Propaganda Channel.

Meh, it's not just Fox.

The US government has been working on their rep of not actually being the servants of the American people for a long time now. It's a lot like how the reputation of the police has eroded over the years. Too much institutionalized bullshit and horrible actions. Folks just stop trusting or thinking of that institution positively anymore.

Not really???

In general the people that put up with shittier wages to work for the government actually do care more than your average office drone

People go to the DMV and have a shit experience and think it has anything at all to do with Medicare or the USDA

These agencies are critically underfunded and undermanned, OSHA can only visit each workplace once per ten years on average, and even places like DMVs and local unemployment offices are shit because of our non stop assault on government employees on the state level

Sorry, Guess I should be more specific. The guys at the top of the government food chain have been eroding trust for years.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    jjduhuacjbqcz2fd8w5o.jpg?itok=95pCSw5d

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Maybe, y'know, the whole idea of health insurance being tied to your employer is insane and corrupt and evil?

The fear for americans is that we'd lose the health benefits, get no increase in our salary for the loss of benefit and pay more in taxes to cover UHC. Because American employers routinely fuck their employees to the limit.

That's a legitimate fear isn't it? Employers aren't going to funnel that money down to their employees if they're not somehow forced to.

eeeeh

but other stuff would adjust upward, there is some competition for labor after all

H1Bs are a red herring

I keep hearing that.

but imo the tech industry's railing against them is generic othering and the real source of the problem is that tech skills simply aren't as valuable as the good old days, while other expenses--heathcare mainly--go up, and the general thing that's happening across all industries where the upper class is stealing all productivity increases

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree. We have enough tech sector anti-trust suits (2 I'm aware of since 2010) where employers were found purposely suppressing wages (even in comparison to other industries in the country) for the tech sector that this just doesnt hold water as "It's happening to everyone".

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    i'm real interested in like, the vacation/pto/sick time policy

because 4 weeks vs 2 weeks is a huge qol difference for me

PTO isn't a big QoL thing if you never use it.

sure, corporate culture pressuring you not to use PTO is a big deal. if i had unlimited vacation but knew it'd be unpleasant to use more than 3 weeks, i'd regard that as 3 weeks

I, uh, regularly get asked to use PTO near the end of the fiscal year so they don't have so much PTO floating on the balance sheets.

I haven't looked, but I suspect I'm near 250 hours banked.

oh yeah that ain't me

if pto is offered i will use it

i spent the first 15 years of my life with 1 week (or 0 pto period), so i am glad to bite up every bit i can find

My employer gives every employee who hits 10 years with the company $3000 and five days "free" PTO to take a trip as a thank you for the time and loyalty.

Mine's on track to expire, unused, in a few months.

I'm pretty terrible. I do not know how to vacation.

Just... take the time off and don't go in to work. You don't have to take a trip somewhere.

A majority of my vacation days are spent taking long weekends to just chill.

Well, for the ten year, you have to pay out of pocket and they re-imburse you. You must include a picture of the place we went.

(I have heard rumor of people just submitting a googled photo of an island and then using the cash for not-vacation shit, though.)

oh my god dude

take that vacation jesus

Well, my problem is that I have no idea where I would go. $3000 isn't enough to actually do anything interesting with a family of 4. Also, my wife's social anxiety has her in a state where she's terrified of leaving the doggos at a kennel. Not to mention I myself kind of hate the idea of having to interact with people, new location or not.

*shrug*

I took tomorrow off, though! I'm going to do nothing. Baby steps!

go stay at some cabin in the woods by a lake, bring doggos and kids

rent jetskis and shit

Hrm. Halfway decent. Hounwife is not a fan of woods or cabins or watersports, though. You begin to see my conundrum, and why I kinda just don't care anymore.

We're supposed to go to Hawaii for a wedding in October, which is after the trip expires, but I keep forgetting to check with HR if I can use it to book that shit now or if it wouldn't count.

*edit*
    I have my doubts that we'll actually go to the wedding due to aforementioned social anxiety about leaving the dogs.

Houn on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The US has a shortage of STEM workers who will work for low wages and no benefits.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.

eeeeh

H1Bs are a red herring

I keep hearing that.

I can't say I agree, tech skills are pretty fucking valuable or the tech industry wouldn't keep pushing to expand the H1-B limit above 60k/year or whatever it's at

I'd say employers undervalue their tech infrastructure to their own detriment extremely frequently though!

they want more H1Bs because H1Bs are basically slaves

it's a bad program and should be dropped entirely imo

but it's not the cause of wage stagnation because it just isn't large enough

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    My GF wants to take me to a hooka bar when we go to Pittsburg.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    Good afternoon, [chat]

I accidentally yelled at all of Nargirl's family (her mom, brother, and sister) before I left for my appointments today.

"accidentally", huh
    Good afternoon, [chat]

how does one do this accidentally

Well, what I wanted to say was, "Okay, this discussion isn't feeling very constructive right now, you're all just talking past each other and needlessly hyperbolically accusing one another of various wrongdoings, and I have to leave now so I don't have time to referee this, but I'll take care of all of your grievances when I get back."

And to be honest, that's almost exactly what I said, just in a tone and at a volume that I didn't totally intend! >_>

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Arch wrote: »
    If there's a STEM shortage why are all my scientist friend unemployed or terrified of entering the labor marke

oh wait alt facts

;-;

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    The US having super expensive healthcare is actually globally important. That money pays for all the R&D.

having private money pay for all the R&D is objectively a bad thing

this is how you get 30 different penis pills while non-profitable diseases get shit-all in funding

It's also how you get badass cyborg legs instead of the bullshit placeholders medicare pays for.

Feral wrote: »
    The US has a shortage of STEM workers who will work for low wages and no benefits.

The community college job I just posted about is 60k/ yr plus bennies

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    my ideal breastaurant would have a mix of people of different genders and body types i think

also cats
    i keep getting cat cafe emails from having gone to this cat cafe once
    they are generally adorable+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

eeeeh

H1Bs are a red herring

I keep hearing that.

There's a lot, it depresses wages.

H1Bs are abused to fuck. They exploit the workers, they push wages down, because why hire someone in the US for 40 hours that's going to fight you about 50 hours a week when you can just pull someone from balgadesh or china and work them for 90? So they'll make up some stupid requirement for the job, pretend like they can't find anyone who's qualified to even learn that requirement, and then go "well gee we couldn't find anyone to match even close, so we're going to pull in this person from overseas and pay them 1/3 of what we'd normally pay and train them up."

Microsoft and the big tech companies don't usually do that last part, but it happens frequently enough.

No one is giving a shit about H1Bs with actual skilled workers, it's when H1Bs are bringing over laborers that people start caring. If H1Bs are required so badly, lets make the requirement a maximum of 40 hour weeks, at least double the pay of the prevailing wage for the position and adjusted for CoL of the area, and allow them to quit and find more work in the US after 3 months.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I got to go to the ER recently, maybe I'll get to go again soon!

Potentially depressing old people stuff:
    My adopted grandma fell and cut her head the other day, and despite the paramedics strongly recommending she go to the ER to get fully checked out she refused. Until I offered to go with her. She checked out fine.

(I was basically across the street from the nursing home for boardgame night at a friend's place when I called her re: plans for Sunday morning.)

Now I got a call from the nursing home saying that she's not doing at all well, but they can't reach her daughter (who is away on a vacation), and she may be sent to the ER by the doctor, etc. I clarify that I'm not actually her grandson and that I'm 50 minutes away, but I make some calls and someone manages to contact her son in law.

That guy calls me to let me know that she's at the ER, and goes on to thank me but also thoroughly tell me that the nursing home was authorized to call an ambulance and that there's nothing more for us to do etc. and I don't know if he was trying to reassure me or tell me to not bother them.

Also, like, she's 92 and I don't really know how I feel about the prospect of her dying. Should I be there? I'm sure she'd like that, but I don't really want to be there and potentially have some bad memory. But maybe I'd end up feeling guilty about not being there? In any case, it may not even be a decision I end up being presented with.

Also also, I'm really tired.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    spool32 wrote: »
    The US having super expensive healthcare is actually globally important. That money pays for all the R&D.

this is how you get 30 different penis pills while non-profitable diseases get shit-all in funding

It's also how you get badass cyborg legs instead of the bullshit placeholders medicare pays for.

Uh

All of the badass cyborg leg stuff is... DOD research, which...

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Elki why are those people smoking hookah in a silent hill basement

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    right that's what I'm saying

there isn't a squeeze on tech salaries because of an influx of ~foreign workers~

it's because every kid who grew up in the 90's went and got a CS degree

MIS degree.

M. I. S.

Goddamn everybody was getting these bitches back then. It was nuts.

milski wrote: »
    I guess a Barista in a bikini may wish that folks would respect them enough to to treat them like adults who can make their own decisions.

Yeah, this is kind of... on the one hand, it's pretty clearly pandering solely to the sex-sells ogling crowd. On the other hand, it's not like the women working there are forced to and may enjoy it/find it worth the mobey.

*shrug*. Que sera, sera

it's also one of the few business models where the capital costs are low enough that an average sex worker can break out and be their own boss

many of those stands are run by former strippers who no longer need to deal with the abuse they got in that world

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Good afternoon, [chat]

"accidentally", huh
    Good afternoon, [chat]

how does one do this accidentally

Well, what I wanted to say was, "Okay, this discussion isn't feeling very constructive right now, you're all just talking past each other and needlessly hyperbolically accusing one another of various wrongdoings, and I have to leave now so I don't have time to referee this, but I'll take care of all of your grievances when I get back."

And to be honest, that's almost exactly what I said, just in a tone and at a volume that I didn't totally intend! >_>

so what you actually said was

I DONT HAVE TIME FOR THIS SHIT NARWHAL OUT

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    wandering wrote: »

also cats
    i keep getting cat cafe emails from having gone to this cat cafe once
    they are generally adorable+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ME TOO

COINCIDENCE

oh my god can we have a solo press conference every day, Jesus?

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »

Uh

All of the badass cyborg leg stuff is... DOD research, which...

It's not though.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

eeeeh

H1Bs are a red herring

I keep hearing that.

they want more H1Bs because H1Bs are basically slaves

it's a bad program and should be dropped entirely imo

but it's not the cause of wage stagnation because it just isn't large enough

It's not the cause of wage stagnation because wage stagnation is not unique to the tech industry

But there are hundreds of thousands of H1B tech workers working jobs for slave wages that they'd have to pay an American high 5 or into 6 figures for

override367 on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    The lobbyist group that I work with is currently trying to convince the BC provincial government to attempt a Basic Guaranteed Income pilot project here.

The Ontario government is considering it in the next year and we're pressuring the BC MLAs to to follow suit.

The biggest hurdle to getting people to accept BGI isn't an economic one, even though that is a real practical concern. No, how you pay for it isn't what people actually complain about loudest.

The biggest pushback comes from a virtue argument, that BGI will somehow "devalue" working itself and lead to lazy, slothful moochers who gleefully suck upon the government teet in lieu of getting a job to supplement and increase their overall wealth.

This isn't actually true, at all, but it "feels" true in a very Trumpy, Fox News, "Common Sense" kind of way where bootstrappy people who worked hard for a living have been cultured to be resentful of anyone who doesn't work as hard as them.

It can be really startling. Even super left wing NDP MLAs will suddenly sound like objectivists basically saying "arbeit macht frei".

So a pilot program is really the only way to prove it, because even if it works elsewhere you need to show it works here, because exceptionalism is a hell of a drug.

We're trying. We've got a few legislators on our side, it helps that the island is super Orange.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If there's a demand for skilled workers, they should be paying out the ass for that demand, not just to pay for the paperwork to get processed and fees to ship them in. Which is a bullshit excuse for "hey they're already paying more for them, think of the legal fees!"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2017
    We had a cat cafe open up in the city a year or so ago. It takes like eight minutes to walk past the window because of the crowd of cooing passersby that I inevitably join.

Bogart on
This discussion has been closed.