As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat [chat]

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    spool32 wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    The US having super expensive healthcare is actually globally important. That money pays for all the R&D.

having private money pay for all the R&D is objectively a bad thing

this is how you get 30 different penis pills while non-profitable diseases get shit-all in funding

It's also how you get badass cyborg legs instead of the bullshit placeholders medicare pays for.

Uh

All of the badass cyborg leg stuff is... DOD research, which...

It's not though.

Not entirely, but the DOD has a number of programs to fund artificial limb replacement research, and the "free market" incentive the private industry is currently having is provided by... well

I mean a lot of people were wounded in the wars and the government is paying for the replacements

override367 on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I guess a Barista in a bikini may wish that folks would respect them enough to to treat them like adults who can make their own decisions.

Yeah, this is kind of... on the one hand, it's pretty clearly pandering solely to the sex-sells ogling crowd. On the other hand, it's not like the women working there are forced to and may enjoy it/find it worth the mobey.

*shrug*. Que sera, sera

I recall someone told said a lot of the bikinirista stands are owned by former strippers who find it less demeaning than stripping. Me more power to ladies using their bodies to get that green.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    my ideal breastaurant would have a mix of people of different genders and body types i think

also cats
    i keep getting cat cafe emails from having gone to this cat cafe once
    they are generally adorable+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    One opened up near me! I should go and get some coffee and toxoplasmosis

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    my ideal breastaurant would have a mix of people of different genders and body types i think

also cats

I just call that "morning"

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Mu wife gave me a specific request for my sketchbook last night, I thought chat might enjoy it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    The Daily Show has a Chrome/Firefox extension to make Trump tweets easier on the eyes,
    http://maketrumptweetseightagain.com/

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    The US has a shortage of STEM workers who will work for low wages and no benefits.

The community college job I just posted about is 60k/ yr plus bennies
    And I was like HOT DAMN

Yeah. That should be, like, a reasonable entry level wage for a new college graduate who isn't a complete idiot. It shouldn't be something that a fucking post-doc with work experience is striving for.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Pony wrote: »
    The lobbyist group that I work with is currently trying to convince the BC provincial government to attempt a Basic Guaranteed Income pilot project here.

The Ontario government is considering it in the next year and we're pressuring the BC MLAs to to follow suit.

The biggest hurdle to getting people to accept BGI isn't an economic one, even though that is a real practical concern. No, how you pay for it isn't what people actually complain about loudest.

The biggest pushback comes from a virtue argument, that BGI will somehow "devalue" working itself and lead to lazy, slothful moochers who gleefully suck upon the government teet in lieu of getting a job to supplement and increase their overall wealth.

This isn't actually true, at all, but it "feels" true in a very Trumpy, Fox News, "Common Sense" kind of way where bootstrappy people who worked hard for a living have been cultured to be resentful of anyone who doesn't work as hard as them.

It can be really startling. Even super left wing NDP MLAs will suddenly sound like objectivists basically saying "arbeit macht frei".

So a pilot program is really the only way to prove it, because even if it works elsewhere you need to show it works here, because exceptionalism is a hell of a drug.

We're trying. We've got a few legislators on our side, it helps that the island is super Orange.

You bet your ass they'll find a few dozen people who are fine living on whatever basic income there is and hold them up as an example of THE PROTESTANT WORK ETHIC NEEDING PROTECTION

Without, of course, looking into what those people were doing before, which would probably either be garbage work for garbage pay or nothing at all

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Spool I have been to cybernetics talks and it's always someone with DOD grants.

I'm sure other people are doing stuff, but yes. Most of that science is done by people who want to fix IED amputations and such.

Like even if a private company is doing research on limb replacements, it probably gets some funding from the government

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    An H1-B worker is basically the employer issuing a franchise tag. As such, they should be paid near maximum for a local worker in the same position (or current salary if greater) for the duration of the visa.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I'm sure other people are doing stuff, but yes. Most of that science is done by people who want to fix IED amputations and such.

Terrifying cyborg/robot armies are also pretty much the military wet dream.

After rail guns.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The US has a shortage of STEM workers who will work for low wages and no benefits.

And I was like HOT DAMN

Yeah. That should be, like, a reasonable entry level wage for a new college graduate who isn't a complete idiot. It shouldn't be something that a fucking post-doc with work experience is striving for.

Yup.

Well, until the DOE money dries up because "education should be decided by the states."

edited February 2017
    I don't think any of us are advocating for a ban on private care or private research either

If a company wants to research dick pills or if you want to pay for private hospital deluxe premium care, I don't see why not?

I just want to be able to buy medicare or get taxed and get it, because private health insurance is fucking awful

override367 on
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Good afternoon, [chat]

I accidentally yelled at all of Nargirl's family (her mom, brother, and sister) before I left for my appointments today.

I'm sure everything will be fine.

This is why I keep paying rent to have my own place. >_>
    "accidentally", huh
    Good afternoon, [chat]

I accidentally yelled at all of Nargirl's family (her mom, brother, and sister) before I left for my appointments today.

I'm sure everything will be fine.

This is why I keep paying rent to have my own place. >_>

how does one do this accidentally

Well, what I wanted to say was, "Okay, this discussion isn't feeling very constructive right now, you're all just talking past each other and needlessly hyperbolically accusing one another of various wrongdoings, and I have to leave now so I don't have time to referee this, but I'll take care of all of your grievances when I get back."

And to be honest, that's almost exactly what I said, just in a tone and at a volume that I didn't totally intend! >_>

so what you actually said was

I DONT HAVE TIME FOR THIS SHIT NARWHAL OUT

Yes! Just, ever so slightly more eloquently. :P

It was an expression of a common frustration I experience in that house, a most curious phenomenon that I've never encountered before:

In a household of 5 grown adults, I am the only person who can lift anything over 5 pounds.

It's amazing. Anything at all that needs to be moved that weighs more than a house cat is my responsibility.

Somehow. Even thought I don't live there.

So later, Narwhal is going to go back there full of caffeine and righteous indignation and do everything anyone has ever dreamt up that needs doing, and when I am done I shall lay in a hot bath and literally bask in my own physical glory.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    What I'm getting from this is there's some sort of Trump conference happening and he's just rambling like a crazy person?

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    My sister is a contractor for posting Federal job hirings. Obviously Baron von Fuckface had made this a problem, so since she hates her boss anyway and has some savings she volunteered to take unpaid time off. She found out today the people who didn't volunteer are getting 5 days of free PTO to try to keep them with the company even though there is currently nothing to do.

You would think, with my Dad formerly being in the Army, she would have learned that you never volunteer.

edited February 2017
    Quid wrote: »

Terrifying cyborg/robot armies are also pretty much the military wet dream.

After rail guns.

Hey...wait a second

What about rail guns... okay you got the rail gun

and you put the rail guns in the robot arms

override367 on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    What I'm getting from this is there's some sort of Trump conference happening and he's just rambling like a crazy person?

YES. It was to announce his new Labor Sec. pick. He's still ranting (I am reading twitter so there's a delay..it might be over? Dunno)

He's literally just unloading the craziest bullshit

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    The US having super expensive healthcare is actually globally important. That money pays for all the R&D.

this is how you get 30 different penis pills while non-profitable diseases get shit-all in funding

It's also how you get badass cyborg legs instead of the bullshit placeholders medicare pays for.

Uh

It's not though.

Not entirely, but the DOD has a number of programs to fund artificial limb replacement research
    The cutting edge lower limb was developed independently. The sports stuff as well. The previous state of the art was locked in a patent which just expired.

Medicare pays for neither except in rare exceptional cases.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @Arch not sure what to throw you at, but the sociologist phd I work with here in DC who has a background in surveys and stats makes 110,00+ plus ~20 days pto, and full other benefits a year.

I mean she has been with the company for 3 years but came in at like ~95-100k out of her previous work doing some surveys for a law firm which was her job straight out of her phd.

Just saying, evil empire pays man.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I offered to buy sniperguy dinner and he rejected me

This burning sensation..

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

And I was like HOT DAMN

I mean, it's a full-time faculty position at a community college but I see your point

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

also cats

Coffee and toxoplasmosis is a great name for a cat cafe

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    The real red herring is the notion that we have a "STEM worker shortage" in this country.

the skills gap is a myth almost across the board, employers need to stop seeing having to pay employees as an evil though, it benefits everyone in the long run if labor is well compensated

Somehow this is accepted wisdom in the world of executives but not for other types of employment

This is why Dick's Drive-In is such an awesome business.

Local burger chain to Seattle, open 24/7. Starting wage is $15 (and this was before the law forced them to do it), they give benefits, 401k, help with tuition and childcare, hell I think they even get stock options.

All because they realize hey well-compensated workers work harder, are more productive, and less likely to steal than ones who are making minimum wage. Owner of the chain still makes a decent chunk of change, but they aren't taking the lion's share of the company's earnings.

Loyal, happy workers are productive, and this leads almost always to higher profits. It's not a fucking mystery, the proof has been around for decades.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    spool what do you know about prosthetics isn't that only like your job or something

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions

Shiv I am working at the world leader in lower limb prosthesis and we don't even have a contract with the VA right now.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    The lobbyist group that I work with is currently trying to convince the BC provincial government to attempt a Basic Guaranteed Income pilot project here.

The Ontario government is considering it in the next year and we're pressuring the BC MLAs to to follow suit.

The biggest hurdle to getting people to accept BGI isn't an economic one, even though that is a real practical concern. No, how you pay for it isn't what people actually complain about loudest.

The biggest pushback comes from a virtue argument, that BGI will somehow "devalue" working itself and lead to lazy, slothful moochers who gleefully suck upon the government teet in lieu of getting a job to supplement and increase their overall wealth.

This isn't actually true, at all, but it "feels" true in a very Trumpy, Fox News, "Common Sense" kind of way where bootstrappy people who worked hard for a living have been cultured to be resentful of anyone who doesn't work as hard as them.

It can be really startling. Even super left wing NDP MLAs will suddenly sound like objectivists basically saying "arbeit macht frei".

So a pilot program is really the only way to prove it, because even if it works elsewhere you need to show it works here, because exceptionalism is a hell of a drug.

We're trying. We've got a few legislators on our side, it helps that the island is super Orange.

You bet your ass they'll find a few dozen people who are fine living on whatever basic income there is and hold them up as an example of THE PROTESTANT WORK ETHIC NEEDING PROTECTION

Without, of course, looking into what those people were doing before, which would probably either be garbage work for garbage pay or nothing at all

A Conservative MLA (a MLA is a Member of the Legislative Assembly, basically the equivalent to a State Senator) was rebuking BGI hard as, and I kid you not,

"an attack on Christian values and traditional Canadian work ethic"

I hate prosperity gospel and Calvinist work ethic horse shit so much.

So fucking much.

It's the grossest distortion of Christianity because it's so fucking pervasive in North America.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017

Uh

It's not though.

Not entirely, but the DOD has a number of programs to fund artificial limb replacement research
    The cutting edge lower limb was developed independently. The sports stuff as well. The previous state of the art was locked in a patent which just expired.

I don't think medicare should be buying cutting edge sports quality prosthetics what since all its patients are 65+

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    The real red herring is the notion that we have a "STEM worker shortage" in this country.

the skills gap is a myth almost across the board, employers need to stop seeing having to pay employees as an evil though, it benefits everyone in the long run if labor is well compensated

Somehow this is accepted wisdom in the world of executives but not for other types of employment

Local burger chain to Seattle, open 24/7. Starting wage is $15 (and this was before the law forced them to do it), they give benefits, 401k, help with tuition and childcare, hell I think they even get stock options.

All because they realize hey well-compensated workers work harder, are more productive, and less likely to steal than ones who are making minimum wage. Owner of the chain still makes a decent chunk of change, but they aren't taking the lion's share of the company's earnings.

Loyal, happy workers are productive, and this leads almost always to higher profits. It's not a fucking mystery, the proof has been around for decades.

Too bad their food sucks. HOT TAEK!!!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HounHoun Registered User regular

It helps that it's also fast and tasty.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I see SiG has already gone mad with power.

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Houn, [chat] will watch your dogs for you.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

Had I known this, I maybe would have gone when I was at UW rather than just giggling whenever an RA said hey everyone let's go get some Dick's!

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Shiv I am working at the world leader in lower limb prosthesis and we don't even have a contract with the VA right now.

Ok but now we're not talking about research anymore

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Ludious wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

YES. It was to announce his new Labor Sec. pick. He's still ranting (I am reading twitter so there's a delay..it might be over? Dunno)

He's literally just unloading the craziest bullshit

I like his point that Rasmussen has his approval rating at 55%.

2 weeks ago it was 59%.

It was even higher during the election.

Even the Republican shill pollsters have his support dropping.

jungleroomx on
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Too bad their food sucks. HOT TAEK!!!

it doesn't tho

it's fast food burgers

they make them good

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I see SiG has already gone mad with power.

shhhh you'll be next!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

Uh

It's not though.

I don't think medicare should be buying cutting edge sports quality prosthetics what since all its patients are 65+

It is nice to not fall over when you're 66 because your prosthetic sucks though.

New Hips are max pricey.

This discussion has been closed.