As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat [chat]

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Geth, report in

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Eyes front, pond scum

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20

1d20 9 [1d20=9]

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Alazull wrote: »
    The real red herring is the notion that we have a "STEM worker shortage" in this country.

the skills gap is a myth almost across the board, employers need to stop seeing having to pay employees as an evil though, it benefits everyone in the long run if labor is well compensated

Somehow this is accepted wisdom in the world of executives but not for other types of employment

This is why Dick's Drive-In is such an awesome business.

Local burger chain to Seattle, open 24/7. Starting wage is $15 (and this was before the law forced them to do it), they give benefits, 401k, help with tuition and childcare, hell I think they even get stock options.

All because they realize hey well-compensated workers work harder, are more productive, and less likely to steal than ones who are making minimum wage. Owner of the chain still makes a decent chunk of change, but they aren't taking the lion's share of the company's earnings.

Loyal, happy workers are productive, and this leads almost always to higher profits. It's not a fucking mystery, the proof has been around for decades.

Too bad their food sucks. HOT TAEK!!!

it doesn't tho

it's fast food burgers

they make them good

Garbage, like below deli quality.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I see SiG has already gone mad with power.

BIG SIG IS WATCHING YOU

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I guess putting animated versions of your magazine covers on social media works,

"This is fine, it's great, I'm doing a tremendous job"

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    The real red herring is the notion that we have a "STEM worker shortage" in this country.

the skills gap is a myth almost across the board, employers need to stop seeing having to pay employees as an evil though, it benefits everyone in the long run if labor is well compensated

Somehow this is accepted wisdom in the world of executives but not for other types of employment

Local burger chain to Seattle, open 24/7. Starting wage is $15 (and this was before the law forced them to do it), they give benefits, 401k, help with tuition and childcare, hell I think they even get stock options.

All because they realize hey well-compensated workers work harder, are more productive, and less likely to steal than ones who are making minimum wage. Owner of the chain still makes a decent chunk of change, but they aren't taking the lion's share of the company's earnings.

Loyal, happy workers are productive, and this leads almost always to higher profits. It's not a fucking mystery, the proof has been around for decades.

Everything you said I agree with.

But employers also seek favor from the fickle "Brand Recognition" god. Get people to buy your garbage because of the Brand and cut costs everywhere coasting into retirement.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    The US having super expensive healthcare is actually globally important. That money pays for all the R&D.

having private money pay for all the R&D is objectively a bad thing

this is how you get 30 different penis pills while non-profitable diseases get shit-all in funding

It's also how you get badass cyborg legs instead of the bullshit placeholders medicare pays for.

Uh

All of the badass cyborg leg stuff is... DOD research, which...

It's not though.

Not entirely, but the DOD has a number of programs to fund artificial limb replacement research
    The cutting edge lower limb was developed independently. The sports stuff as well. The previous state of the art was locked in a patent which just expired.

Medicare pays for neither except in rare exceptional cases.

I don't think medicare should be buying cutting edge sports quality prosthetics what since all its patients are 65+

It is nice to not fall over when you're 66 because your prosthetic sucks though.

New Hips are max pricey.

not falling over shouldn't be cutting-edge tho

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Costco is apparently a really good employer based on wages, benefits, and how they treat their employees

And every time I go in there, the staff are friendly, engaging, and generally seem in a good mood, despite the fact that the place is generally a zoo and the customers behave like animals

dat correlation tho

it doesn't tho

it's fast food burgers

they make them good

you are an unusual man

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    EM sounding very spiritual to me right now.

No, we can't define consciousness with a purely physical paradigm.

Am I horrifying

I feel like my philosophies are practically tailored to horrify you sometimes!

If your philosophies were right, they would be.

I'm going to make a scale model of your horror from clay and styrofoam and exhibit it at a science fair. It will be a holistic representative model. There will be a baking soda volcano.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    The US having super expensive healthcare is actually globally important. That money pays for all the R&D.

this is how you get 30 different penis pills while non-profitable diseases get shit-all in funding

It's also how you get badass cyborg legs instead of the bullshit placeholders medicare pays for.

Uh

It's not though.

Not entirely, but the DOD has a number of programs to fund artificial limb replacement research
    The cutting edge lower limb was developed independently. The sports stuff as well. The previous state of the art was locked in a patent which just expired.

I don't think medicare should be buying cutting edge sports quality prosthetics what since all its patients are 65+

It is nice to not fall over when you're 66 because your prosthetic sucks though.

New Hips are max pricey.

This is super easy though you just replace their legs with wheels

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Spool I have been to cybernetics talks and it's always someone with DOD grants.

I'm sure other people are doing stuff, but yes. Most of that science is done by people who want to fix IED amputations and such.

Shiv I am working at the world leader in lower limb prosthesis and we don't even have a contract with the VA right now.

Ok but now we're not talking about research anymore

I'm still talking about research! The science is being done in-house.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    DoD has a direct research group with limb replacement. They run out of Walter Reed. I worked down the hall from them. They are not large. They focus exclusively on blast/traumatic injury replacement. One of the main directing forces is a joint VA/DoD program.

http://www.health.mil/About-MHS/Other-MHS-Organizations/Extremity-Trauma-and-Amputation-Center-of-Excellence

They aren't huge but they do neat work. I would be surprised Spool if you don't have any communication from them.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

Uh

It's not though.

New Hips are max pricey.

I just want to be a Segway from the waist down is that so much to ask

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    it would help if you were less vague as to the companies / products you were referring to. for example, if the cutting edge lower limb prosthetic you are referring to is BiOM, the MIT Biomechatronics group did work with DARPA on some of their prosthetic stuff (although I am not sure the BiOM specifically is attributable to that)

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I got to go to the ER recently, maybe I'll get to go again soon!

Potentially depressing old people stuff:
    My adopted grandma fell and cut her head the other day, and despite the paramedics strongly recommending she go to the ER to get fully checked out she refused. Until I offered to go with her. She checked out fine.

(I was basically across the street from the nursing home for boardgame night at a friend's place when I called her re: plans for Sunday morning.)

Now I got a call from the nursing home saying that she's not doing at all well, but they can't reach her daughter (who is away on a vacation), and she may be sent to the ER by the doctor, etc. I clarify that I'm not actually her grandson and that I'm 50 minutes away, but I make some calls and someone manages to contact her son in law.

That guy calls me to let me know that she's at the ER, and goes on to thank me but also thoroughly tell me that the nursing home was authorized to call an ambulance and that there's nothing more for us to do etc. and I don't know if he was trying to reassure me or tell me to not bother them.

Also, like, she's 92 and I don't really know how I feel about the prospect of her dying. Should I be there? I'm sure she'd like that, but I don't really want to be there and potentially have some bad memory. But maybe I'd end up feeling guilty about not being there? In any case, it may not even be a decision I end up being presented with.

Also also, I'm really tired.

I really want you to take the time to think of what ways more on you, the idea of having a bad memory or the potential guilt for not being there?

As someone who was there when his essentially adopted grandmother (she adopted my dad, who married my mom and adopted me, so we were technically family) passed away, while it sucked and sure I may have nightmares about it from time to time, the guilt I would have felt for not being there for her would have been crushing.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.

it doesn't tho

it's fast food burgers

they make them good

you are an unusual man

Having a superior sense of taste is worth it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

which diseases are underfunded?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    If he ends this with "THE ARISTOCRATS!" they're going to find Alec Baldwin dead from fatal orgasm

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Thank you for applying to the position of Biology Instructional Faculty (Academic) with [Community College]. We are pleased to inform you that your application has moved forward to the next step in the selection process. You will receive further instructions by email.

@Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud

Further instructions:

DRINK
    THE
    BLEACH

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Man the drunken walks up to Dicks from the dorms were great.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    that being said it can both be true that
    1. the government (as research grants, DARPA, etc.) is funding prosthetic research
    2. the government (as medicare / the VA) won't actually pay for cutting edge prosthetics, b/c of cost control reasons

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Spool I have been to cybernetics talks and it's always someone with DOD grants.

I'm sure other people are doing stuff, but yes. Most of that science is done by people who want to fix IED amputations and such.

Shiv I am working at the world leader in lower limb prosthesis and we don't even have a contract with the VA right now.

Ok but now we're not talking about research anymore

I'm still talking about research! The science is being done in-house.

Hmm

I am not actually sure we are talking about the same thing

Are we discussing the kind of thing that involves brain implants to control/get sensory feedback, or just prosthetics?

The conversation started out about "badass cyborg limbs" and I'm not sure that conjured up the same thing for both of us

anyway @spool32 the point I was trying to make is that, ideally, the majority of R&D costs should be funneled through an organization that doesn't have a profit motive

if you have a national healthcare system with stats whose mission is to provide the best health outcomes with the money they have then they can look at what's actually affecting the populace and spend their money on that

instead aiming at things that are profitable which sometimes lines up with improving health outcomes but certainly not always

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

which diseases are underfunded?

Bacterial infections in general. Antibiotic research on the private end has basically stopped due to it lack of profitability compared to cost to develop. That is one of the most basic ones.

In general there is a classification of under studied/ignored diseases since new treatments or work is too expensive for the size of the population involved.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Uh

It's not though.

New Hips are max pricey.

not falling over shouldn't be cutting-edge tho

Its expensive and challenging to prevent foot drag and get the motion & balance right!

P10 wrote: »
    that being said it can both be true that
    1. the government (as research grants, DARPA, etc.) is funding prosthetic research
    2. the government (as medicare / the VA) won't actually pay for cutting edge prosthetics, b/c of cost control reasons

I don't think anyone disputed 2, though

• AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular

Dude, they sell cheeseburgers for like $2.

When you can order two burgers, fries and a shake for less than $10 it flies under the radar of culinary critique.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I've had several orifices probed invasively and my chest is about to be blasted with radiation.

What has government healthcare wrought?

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Uh

It's not though.

New Hips are max pricey.

Don't knock the missile launchers. They were necessary to get government RnD funding:

u8kehsvl2al3.jpg

Edit problematic pic

navgoose on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    I see SiG has already gone mad with power.

BIG SIG IS WATCHING YOU

wait

do you have cameras in the bathroom

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    A guy in my class said, "there's MODERN algebra and MODERN calculus. Why are they modern? What's changed in calculus? I think it's a ~political~ thing."

I hate him SO. MUCH.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    A guy in my class said, "there's MODERN algebra and MODERN calculus. Why are they modern? What's changed in calculus? I think it's a ~political~ thing."

I hate him SO. MUCH.

Throw a slide rule at him and tell him to shut up :)

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    What I'm getting from this is there's some sort of Trump conference happening and he's just rambling like a crazy person?

YES. It was to announce his new Labor Sec. pick. He's still ranting (I am reading twitter so there's a delay..it might be over? Dunno)

He's literally just unloading the craziest bullshit

someone asked him about russia and he's like I don't do business there and also did you know hillary got the questions to the debates

Dude, they sell cheeseburgers for like $2.

When you can order two burgers, fries and a shake for less than $10 it flies under the radar of culinary critique.

Some of us pay more for quality Alazull! And they aren't even that cheap compared to like Taco Bell.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Ludious wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    What I'm getting from this is there's some sort of Trump conference happening and he's just rambling like a crazy person?

YES. It was to announce his new Labor Sec. pick. He's still ranting (I am reading twitter so there's a delay..it might be over? Dunno)

He's literally just unloading the craziest bullshit

someone asked him about russia and he's like I don't do business there and also did you know hillary got the questions to the debates

He's unhinged. He's literally mentioned Hillary more times than his new Labor pick.

• A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Jubal77 wrote: »

I hate him SO. MUCH.

Throw a slide rule at him and tell him to shut up :)

Like math is this static and immutable. :mad:

A Kobold's Kobold on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    @Mazzyx thanks, but I'm like

really really actually into a job where I'm just teaching college-level science courses

ideally at some small liberals arts school but i'll take this as a stopgap

also i dont want to move at all ever again and tucson only has the two schools

This discussion has been closed.