As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cat [chat]

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I've decided I'm just going to start hanging up on vendors mid-sentence. I have no budget and I have no time.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Pony wrote: »
    Costco is apparently a really good employer based on wages, benefits, and how they treat their employees

And every time I go in there, the staff are friendly, engaging, and generally seem in a good mood, despite the fact that the place is generally a zoo and the customers behave like animals

dat correlation tho

@Pony

It is extremely hard to get in there. Vvvvvvvery high employee retention.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    There's a whole international system for orphan disease research where governments issue grant money to companies and universities researching those diseases.

The US participates, too: http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/DevelopingProductsforRareDiseasesConditions/ucm2005525.htm

As with all things involving public funding, we could be doing a lot better.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

Very Journalistic Integrity Dog 12/10

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Having interviewed STEM job applicants I can say that while there is no shortage of STEM graduates, there is a shortage of good STEM graduates.

My company isn't even trying to underpay or offer shit benefits and they've already accepted that they won't be getting google and apple level talent. And yet still, candidate after candidate cannot answer simple questions.

The ones that can answer are typically swimming in offers and take whatever tickles their fancy.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Lunch was food.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD HE ASKED A BLACK REPORTER IF SHE COULD SET UP A MEETING WITH THE CONGRESSIONAL BLACK CAUCUS "ARE THEY FRIENDS OF YOURS?"

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a
    OH MY GOD HE ASKED A BLACK REPORTER IF SHE COULD SET UP A MEETING WITH THE CONGRESSIONAL BLACK CAUCUS "ARE THEY FRIENDS OF YOURS?"

are you fuckin serious

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Spool I have been to cybernetics talks and it's always someone with DOD grants.

I'm sure other people are doing stuff, but yes. Most of that science is done by people who want to fix IED amputations and such.

Terrifying cyborg/robot armies are also pretty much the military wet dream.

After rail guns.

Hey...wait a second

What about rail guns... okay you got the rail gun

and you put the rail guns in the robot arms

No, wait... what if we reverse it.

What if we take the souls of all the people who get cybernetic limbs (because that shit fucks up your soul anyway), and we put them in the railguns. Now, we have railguns that can kill people *and* exorcise their vengeful ghosts at once!

That or we get railgun-demons. I'm a mad engineer, not a mad theophysicist.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Having interviewed STEM job applicants I can say that while there is no shortage of STEM graduates, there is a shortage of good STEM graduates.

My company isn't even trying to underpay or offer shit benefits and they've already accepted that they won't be getting google and apple level talent. And yet still, candidate after candidate cannot answer simple questions.

The ones that can answer are typically swimming in offers and take whatever tickles their fancy.

Can you give examples? This kind of thing makes me curious

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Lunch was food.

I hope mine is food. Forgot my lunch at home so I have to gas station it or shitty expensive sammich/wrap.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Lunch was food.

Vague. Now I wonder what gas station sells a burrito labeled "food" with the ingredients "Edible things."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    I see SiG has already gone mad with power.

BIG SIG IS WATCHING YOU

wait

do you have cameras in the bathroom
    She knows where you commit your crimes.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

I refuse to believe that happened.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

what if the questions are not as simple as you think : (

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    what use is a STEM if it doesn't lead to a pretty smell-good flower.
    is what DK is trying to say

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

This is like Bizarro "I have black friends"

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Look donkey kong just because I don't know how to program in the language in the job description, or code at all, or use anything but my tablet, or get my tablet to run for longer than I spend ranting about the accent of call-center workers, doesn't mean I can't do the job.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Can you give examples? This kind of thing makes me curious

canny edge detection and building boxes, etc

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Spool I have been to cybernetics talks and it's always someone with DOD grants.

I'm sure other people are doing stuff, but yes. Most of that science is done by people who want to fix IED amputations and such.

Shiv I am working at the world leader in lower limb prosthesis and we don't even have a contract with the VA right now.

Ok but now we're not talking about research anymore

I'm still talking about research! The science is being done in-house.

Hmm

I am not actually sure we are talking about the same thing

Are we discussing the kind of thing that involves brain implants to control/get sensory feedback, or just prosthetics?

The conversation started out about "badass cyborg limbs" and I'm not sure that conjured up the same thing for both of us

I am talking microprocessor and accelerometer and peizoelectric sensor control.

The brain stuff is public-private yeah, but it is at the Basic Foundational Concept level. A device that can function without its attached laboratory is not currently being attempted or really even considered beyond the theoretical.

• Options
    a

are you fuckin serious

Hey shark can you ask Porp if she can get Keith David to come to my birthday party?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    that being said it can both be true that
    1. the government (as research grants, DARPA, etc.) is funding prosthetic research
    2. the government (as medicare / the VA) won't actually pay for cutting edge prosthetics, b/c of cost control reasons

I don't think anyone disputed 2, though
    right, but going back to the original post
    Aioua wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    The US having super expensive healthcare is actually globally important. That money pays for all the R&D.

having private money pay for all the R&D is objectively a bad thing

this is how you get 30 different penis pills while non-profitable diseases get shit-all in funding

It's also how you get badass cyborg legs instead of the bullshit placeholders medicare pays for.
    that being said I am not sure what spool's original post was actually trying to say - it seems to be contesting the claim that private funding of R&D is bad because private money will chase profit, not necessarily societal benefit, but bringing in Medicare makes it confusing to read since that is not on the R&D side of things.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I refuse to believe that happened.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    anyway spool32 the point I was trying to make is that, ideally, the majority of R&D costs should be funneled through an organization that doesn't have a profit motive

if you have a national healthcare system with stats whose mission is to provide the best health outcomes with the money they have then they can look at what's actually affecting the populace and spend their money on that

instead aiming at things that are profitable which sometimes lines up with improving health outcomes but certainly not always

I think the US has a pretty okay system overall.

Exploratory research where we discover novel new mechanisms of action and interesting new families of drugs are funded mostly through government grants.

Once they uncover a new interesting avenue for development, private companies take that research and refine it into marketable products.

We have a number of failure points, the biggest one is that the grant money for exploratory research has declined as a share of GDP since the Bush Jr. administration. But for the most part this system actually works.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    a

are you fuckin serious

Hey shark can you ask Porp if she can get Keith David to come to my birthday party?

wait don't you mean David Keith?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    I see SiG has already gone mad with power.

BIG SIG IS WATCHING YOU

For my fellow Witcher 3 fans...

SIGgy Reuven.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I really should go back to get my bachelors but hurgh at doing school again and dealing with sallie mae

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    a

are you fuckin serious

Nah David Keith is a saltine american, we hang out on the reg.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Also, if you call me and I say I am working on a deliverable and to try to call me "late next week," responding "I'll call you tomorrow" is going to just piss me off. And then telling me "I'll try you on Monday" when Monday is a holiday is also going to piss me off. When I say "late next week" on a fucking Thursday, I don't mean "tomorrow" and I don't mean "Monday" either, you goose.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    100% Food-like product
    Type burrito
    Contents 1 cylinder
    Ingredients TBA pending FDA review

• Options
    I think we should pick either badass cyborg implants or growing new body parts and organs in a lab and stick with it.

The two constantly competing with each other is frustrating.

I just want either a cyber liver or a pig grown liver. Pick one already science.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    can we get a new president already im done with this one

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    I think we should pick either badass cyborg implants or growing new body parts and organs in a lab and stick with it.

The two constantly competing with each other is frustrating.

I just want either a cyber liver or a pig grown liver. Pick one already science.

You'll get both, but one will be infinitely more expensive than the other.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    navgoose wrote: »
    100% Food-like product
    Type burrito
    Contents 1 cylinder
    Ingredients TBA pending FDA review

Yeah I've eaten it.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    a

are you fuckin serious

??

• Options
    a

are you fuckin serious

??

thatsthejoke.jpg

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    anyway spool32 the point I was trying to make is that, ideally, the majority of R&D costs should be funneled through an organization that doesn't have a profit motive

if you have a national healthcare system with stats whose mission is to provide the best health outcomes with the money they have then they can look at what's actually affecting the populace and spend their money on that

instead aiming at things that are profitable which sometimes lines up with improving health outcomes but certainly not always

I think the US has a pretty okay system overall.

Exploratory research where we discover novel new mechanisms of action and interesting new families of drugs are funded mostly through government grants.

Once they uncover a new interesting avenue for development, private companies take that research and refine it into marketable products.

We have a number of failure points, the biggest one is that the grant money for exploratory research has declined as a share of GDP since the Bush Jr. administration. But for the most part this system actually works.

I think, actually, that the way US drug discovery funding is one of my preferred systems for getting science funded and in the public hands

we need a bit of work to make it better, but it's a great start

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    From reading this thread, knowing how google stuff and being vaguely aware of git hub, I think I'm over qualified for most tech jobs.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    Also, if you call me and I say I am working on a deliverable and to try to call me "late next week," responding "I'll call you tomorrow" is going to just piss me off. And then telling me "I'll try you on Monday" when Monday is a holiday is also going to piss me off. When I say "late next week" on a fucking Thursday, I don't mean "tomorrow" and I don't mean "Monday" either, you goose.

I just got off a call with two salesdudes. There were two of them because they work in two different product families for the same company.

The first guy was chill, asked me what we needed from the product, addressed my concerns, gave me a straight answer on price.

The second guy was one of those salespeople who's like "WHEN DO YOU THINK YOU'LL BE PURCHASING?" "WHAT ARE THE NEXT STEPS IN YOUR COMPANY TO SIGN A QUOTE?" "ARE THERE ANY OTHER DECISION-MAKERS?"

and i'm like... dude... chill... humping my leg and slobbering on me isn't how you get my company's money

• Options
    can we get a new president already im done with this one

vegas odds are "probably"

This discussion has been closed.