As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat [chat]

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    can we get a new president already im done with this one
    no refunds sorry

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I would love for a similar "research to public" pipeline for other types of research, but I haven't quite worked out how that would uh

work?

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Having interviewed STEM job applicants I can say that while there is no shortage of STEM graduates, there is a shortage of good STEM graduates.

My company isn't even trying to underpay or offer shit benefits and they've already accepted that they won't be getting google and apple level talent. And yet still, candidate after candidate cannot answer simple questions.

The ones that can answer are typically swimming in offers and take whatever tickles their fancy.

I had a great job in college where I sat in a computer lab and occasionally helped students to understand their programming homework

The interview had been: Can you explain the difference between passing by reference and passing by value? Oh, good! When can you start?

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Lunch was food.

Vague. Now I wonder what gas station sells a burrito labeled "food" with the ingredients "Edible things."

latest?cb=20120106175226

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    a
    Ludious wrote: »
    OH MY GOD HE ASKED A BLACK REPORTER IF SHE COULD SET UP A MEETING WITH THE CONGRESSIONAL BLACK CAUCUS "ARE THEY FRIENDS OF YOURS?"

are you fuckin serious

Hey shark can you ask Porp if she can get Keith David to come to my birthday party?

wait don't you mean David Keith?

??

thatsthejoke.jpg

Sadly David Keiths career ain't what it used to be. People probably even forget he's an actor.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    They're making me wear a mask :(

My cats finally have their revenge for the cones I made them wear.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    a
    OH MY GOD HE ASKED A BLACK REPORTER IF SHE COULD SET UP A MEETING WITH THE CONGRESSIONAL BLACK CAUCUS "ARE THEY FRIENDS OF YOURS?"

are you fuckin serious

Hey shark can you ask Porp if she can get Keith David to come to my birthday party?

wait don't you mean David Keith?

??

thatsthejoke.jpg

Sadly David Keiths career ain't what it used to be. People probably even forget he's an actor.

Yeah that Gypsy really fucked him and Drew Barrymore.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    From reading this thread, knowing how google stuff and being vaguely aware of git hub, I think I'm over qualified for most tech jobs.
    Dankey knows if you have to Google whether there's a difference between C and Python

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Is it a problem Trump thinks journalists control Congress, or that he assumes black people are all friends?

Or that he is incapable of thinking about what he is about to say, period.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    anyway spool32 the point I was trying to make is that, ideally, the majority of R&D costs should be funneled through an organization that doesn't have a profit motive

if you have a national healthcare system with stats whose mission is to provide the best health outcomes with the money they have then they can look at what's actually affecting the populace and spend their money on that

instead aiming at things that are profitable which sometimes lines up with improving health outcomes but certainly not always

I think the US has a pretty okay system overall.

Exploratory research where we discover novel new mechanisms of action and interesting new families of drugs are funded mostly through government grants.

Once they uncover a new interesting avenue for development, private companies take that research and refine it into marketable products.

We have a number of failure points, the biggest one is that the grant money for exploratory research has declined as a share of GDP since the Bush Jr. administration. But for the most part this system actually works.

my dad is currently leading a small company that's doing exactly this

it's been interesting hearing about the whole process

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

sure it's been a few ye... wait it's been less than a month?

Quid wrote: »

Ooh can I get them to make you wear a hat that says "freeloader"?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

idk how America can take 4 years of this

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    anyway @spool32 the point I was trying to make is that, ideally, the majority of R&D costs should be funneled through an organization that doesn't have a profit motive

if you have a national healthcare system with stats whose mission is to provide the best health outcomes with the money they have then they can look at what's actually affecting the populace and spend their money on that

instead aiming at things that are profitable which sometimes lines up with improving health outcomes but certainly not always

Best health outcomes for most people leads to mediocre devices. People on the edges don't get served either way because we don't have infinite money. At least with private profit motive research we have some drivers. The madcap terminator leg funds the medium-grade thing that barely ambulatory people can get so they don't go completely wheelchair bound.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Ooh can I get them to make you wear a hat that says "freeloader"?

Imma make rad buy everything when we're in Washington out of spite.

navgoose wrote: »
    Is Trump a problem?

yes.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I just submitted two physio claims to my insurance using an app on my phone.

The future is nuts.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    From reading this thread, knowing how google stuff and being vaguely aware of git hub, I think I'm over qualified for most tech jobs.

I'm sorry, do you know MS Server 2012 implementation, deployment, and administration? Have you gotten your CCNA and CCNP? Do you have familiarity with 3 different languages, Outlook, ITIL, and can plan a project from start to finish?

We don't ask a lot from our receptionists.

jungleroomx on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    anyway @spool32 the point I was trying to make is that, ideally, the majority of R&D costs should be funneled through an organization that doesn't have a profit motive

Best health outcomes for most people leads to mediocre devices. People on the edges don't get served either way because we don't have infinite money. At least with private profit motive research we have some drivers. The madcap terminator leg funds the medium-grade thing that barely ambulatory people can get so they don't go completely wheelchair bound.

I thought it was the opposite, where the basic every day stuff like giving someone in a wheelchair a "grabber claw" and charging $100 for it pays for the terminator leg?

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

it hurts me

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Ok but can we at least agree that advertising drugs to consumers is a bad idea?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Yeah but do you have 15 years of experience with github and 35 years of experience with google? Guess we'll need an H1B since we can't find anyone that matches this for level 1 tech support!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I think I just flossed an entire piece of broccoli out of my teeth.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Yeah but do you have 15 years of experience with github and 35 years of experience with google? Guess we'll need an H1B since we can't find anyone that matches this for level 1 tech support!

Read my mind. :bro:

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

I refuse to believe that happened.

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I just submitted two physio claims to my insurance using an app on my phone.

The future is nuts.

Let us know if they deny you in an interestingly new way.

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular

at a certain point there should be like a football rule

somebody dressed a in black and white horizontal stripes steps out of the shadows of the oval office, blows a whistle, and makes an elaborate hand sign

"presidential fumble, POTUS transfers to Clinton"

then Lady Gaga entertains the audience for a while before play continues

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

The President Lisa that the prophecies foretold.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    Is it a problem Trump thinks journalists control Congress, or that he assumes black people are all friends?

Or that he is incapable of thinking about what he is about to say, period.

Yes

Ok but can we at least agree that advertising drugs to consumers is a bad idea?

But don't you have all these incredibly vague symptoms? Than Preachalasta is for you! Ask your doctor who we have bribed to write scrips for our drug today!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Elki wrote: »

The President Lisa that the prophecies foretold.

Bart totally saved that administration.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    CIS seems like a dumb degree to me anyway. At least it is at my school, maybe it means something else elsewhere.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    I offered to buy sniperguy dinner and he rejected me

This burning sensation..

I feel so bad when people do that for me!

Also if I completely stop posting after today I was murdered by Chu in a noodle restaurant.

You know I'd be willing to entertain the thought that GWB wasn't as stupid as we all thought he was, but holy shit Trump is fucking dumber than anyone thought he could be.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Also, if you call me and I say I am working on a deliverable and to try to call me "late next week," responding "I'll call you tomorrow" is going to just piss me off. And then telling me "I'll try you on Monday" when Monday is a holiday is also going to piss me off. When I say "late next week" on a fucking Thursday, I don't mean "tomorrow" and I don't mean "Monday" either, you goose.

I just got off a call with two salesdudes. There were two of them because they work in two different product families for the same company.

The first guy was chill, asked me what we needed from the product, addressed my concerns, gave me a straight answer on price.

The second guy was one of those salespeople who's like "WHEN DO YOU THINK YOU'LL BE PURCHASING?" "WHAT ARE THE NEXT STEPS IN YOUR COMPANY TO SIGN A QUOTE?" "ARE THERE ANY OTHER DECISION-MAKERS?"

and i'm like... dude... chill... humping my leg and slobbering on me isn't how you get my company's money

I have a fun story like this - will share it in the next chat perhaps as I have some stuff to finish right now.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Do you sometimes not understand big words?

Are you constantly roaming the woods in search of meat?

Um.... don't try Amateuraxia, cause those are totally side effects.

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Do you sometimes not understand big words?

Are you constantly roaming the woods in search of meat?

Um.... don't try Amateuraxia, cause those are totally side effects.

actual cannibal Shia LeBouf

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »

No, but I remember exactly that gag on South Park like 10 years ago.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
This discussion has been closed.