As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Seizing the means of Structural [chat]eneering

BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left UnfinishedRegistered User regular
edited February 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
Don't you people see now? Only I, BeNarwhal, can be trusted to create timely, no-nonsense, straight-to-the-point [chat] threads!

Reject the rule of arbitrary robot selection! Bend the knee to inevitability! All hail BeNarwhalia!

So It Goes on

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Hello

can you feel the struggle within?
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    @elki no it is vermintide from now until we get sick of it

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Man this is bullshit.

If I'd have known I could have just made a rogue chat I'd have made bushcraft chat.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    I've never joined a revolution before! When do they hand out the shirts and banners and atrocious hygiene?

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I'm actually working now but here's a cool structural engineering feat people might not be so familiar with:

https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2003/fs014-03/pipeline.html

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    jake you know there will literally never be a Tom Brady chat thread unless both Elki and I are on a tropical island with no cell service, right?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    haha oh shit @Sir Landshark you gonna take this?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    NO CHATTERS, JOIN ME AND I WILL TAKE US INTO THE FORESTS TO CHAT!

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    gasp who

who do i choose

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    13 minutes

I thought it was 0-10 for main, 10-15 for backup, and 15+ for rogue

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    benards is fake news

i have made no fewer than six timely, non-nonsense [chat]s

i am notorious for my austere and minimalist OPs produced within mere seconds of the previous closing

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    13 minutes

It was.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Man this is bullshit.

If I'd have known I could have just made a rogue chat I'd have made bushcraft chat.

You lack the fortitude and the certainty to act with such boldness, AH!

I create this [chat] by divine right!

I choose this chat. Hello.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Having interviewed STEM job applicants I can say that while there is no shortage of STEM graduates, there is a shortage of good STEM graduates.

My company isn't even trying to underpay or offer shit benefits and they've already accepted that they won't be getting google and apple level talent. And yet still, candidate after candidate cannot answer simple questions.

The ones that can answer are typically swimming in offers and take whatever tickles their fancy.

Can you give examples? This kind of thing makes me curious

canny edge detection and building boxes, etc

The canny edge detection story is actually a good example. My company does computer vision, so every applicant for certain positions has taken a computer vision course and listed computer vision as a specialization for a post-graduate degree. So keep that in mind.

Canny edge detection is one of the basic, most commonly taught computer vision algorithms. Its an image transform that takes in a fully detailed photographic image and spits out another image that looks more like a line drawing. Its great for, as its name suggests, detecting edges. It lets a computer greatly cut down the information content of an image, and make the content left over invariant to lighting, shading, etc. It's typically taught in Image Processing or Computer Vision 101 type classes.

I asked an open-ended question of a candidate. "How would you find a cardboard box in an image of a cardboard box?" The question tests a variety of things, but it's very open to discussion. One candidate in their answer mentioned the canny edge detector, but the way they used it in their design seemed a little odd and skipped a lot of steps, so I asked them to go back and explain. They looked at me like I had just ripped their pants down, so I knew I was in for a treat.

Over the course of their explanation, it became clear that they didn't know what the canny edge detector was or what it did or what its inputs and outputs were. These are not hard questions. It takes in a photo, it spits out a line drawing. But they couldn't say it because they didn't know it. They just threw out the words and hoped I'd let them gloss over it. And I would have, if their usage had made any sense.

From there the interview went rapidly downhill. It was clear they didn't have any computer vision experience and they failed the basic C/C++ programming test too. And this is not uncommon. This is representative of about half of the people who make it through the screening process. These are people with nice GPAs and degrees from good institutions. It's really demoralizing.

I mean, if I'm ready canny edge right on wikipedia, it's a grayscale/bluring (reduce the number of tiny sharp edges?) image where they scan over the ints in the bitmap and check for something breaking a threshold between adjacent values, seems pretty straight forward.

If you were doing computer vision as a degree this seems like something you'd be doing every god damned day for research and projects to the point where it'd be second nature.

Is the C++ just like.. testing if you know for/if/else/variables or are you doing OOP, structs, bit packing, etc ?

@Donkey Kong

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    gasp who

who do i choose

not this bridge nerd shit

gasp who

who do i choose

I choose BOTH

OH SHIT I JUST GOT UNIVERSE BLENDED

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    395654fdf899cd34144f5e2a501bea6f.jpg

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    apparently i took too long doing my backup chat

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    gasp who

who do i choose

I choose BOTH

REUNIFICATION IT WILL BE!

13 minutes

It was.

I am altering the deal.

Pray that I do not alter it further.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Having interviewed STEM job applicants I can say that while there is no shortage of STEM graduates, there is a shortage of good STEM graduates.

My company isn't even trying to underpay or offer shit benefits and they've already accepted that they won't be getting google and apple level talent. And yet still, candidate after candidate cannot answer simple questions.

The ones that can answer are typically swimming in offers and take whatever tickles their fancy.

Can you give examples? This kind of thing makes me curious

canny edge detection and building boxes, etc

The canny edge detection story is actually a good example. My company does computer vision, so every applicant for certain positions has taken a computer vision course and listed computer vision as a specialization for a post-graduate degree. So keep that in mind.

Canny edge detection is one of the basic, most commonly taught computer vision algorithms. Its an image transform that takes in a fully detailed photographic image and spits out another image that looks more like a line drawing. Its great for, as its name suggests, detecting edges. It lets a computer greatly cut down the information content of an image, and make the content left over invariant to lighting, shading, etc. It's typically taught in Image Processing or Computer Vision 101 type classes.

I asked an open-ended question of a candidate. "How would you find a cardboard box in an image of a cardboard box?" The question tests a variety of things, but it's very open to discussion. One candidate in their answer mentioned the canny edge detector, but the way they used it in their design seemed a little odd and skipped a lot of steps, so I asked them to go back and explain. They looked at me like I had just ripped their pants down, so I knew I was in for a treat.

Over the course of their explanation, it became clear that they didn't know what the canny edge detector was or what it did or what its inputs and outputs were. These are not hard questions. It takes in a photo, it spits out a line drawing. But they couldn't say it because they didn't know it. They just threw out the words and hoped I'd let them gloss over it. And I would have, if their usage had made any sense.

From there the interview went rapidly downhill. It was clear they didn't have any computer vision experience and they failed the basic C/C++ programming test too. And this is not uncommon. This is representative of about half of the people who make it through the screening process. These are people with nice GPAs and degrees from good institutions. It's really demoralizing.

This is one of those things that I constantly kind of wonder/worry about. Like, if I was ever in an interview scenario like this one for something relevant to my field (let's say something molecular biology based, or hell, even computationally, because I'm sort of a computer scientist, albeit a shitty one).

I'm like, reasonably certain I would flub interview questions like this, but at the same time I know that I can figure a lot of stuff out- my entire postdoc has been me reading a technique on the internet i've never done before, and trying it out to see if it works

but if like, during an interview you asked me, say, how i would use southern blotting to investigate my phenotype of interest I would probably freak out and not be able to answer, despite the fact that A. I could look it up and B. follow the protocol and C. design a well-structured experiment around it

I know they aren't really equivalent scenarios, I'm just wondering how much I actually know, and how much of it was me coasting through like a lot of these candidates

I am forever filled with impostor syndrome

my final words, as I lay on my deathbed, having been a professor for years and years with a bunch of papers to my name will be

"they should never have given me a PhD"

BeNarwhal wrote: »
    13 minutes

It was.

I am altering the deal.

Pray that I do not alter it further.

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE, GILL-CREATURE!

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

anyway here's another interesting factoid

vanilla is expensive. Such that some producers will individually brand every bean to help track their shit to prevent theft

big image for detail:
    i8OPpIC.jpg

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    EM provided the best OP and doesn't even get merged in.
    this travesty of justice. . .

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    Okay SIG you're now a mod and a lawyer so I have the right to know why geth hates me.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    apparently i took too long doing my backup chat

sorry mang

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Tube said he doesn't have to justify himself to me! He knows who I am! This is the happiest day of my life!

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Elki you have used that comic before. Your game is slippin'.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Tube said he doesn't have to justify himself to me! He knows who I am! This is the happiest day of my life!
    Senpai noticed you?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    sig when you lock a thread you should post an incoherent donald trump clip from any of his public appearances

that'll be your thing

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    This whole situation is typical of what you can expect from those structural types.

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    jake you know there will literally never be a Tom Brady chat thread unless both Elki and I are on a tropical island with no cell service, right?

the state of our forum institutions remains strong despite recent events #blessed

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    sig when you lock a thread you should post an incoherent donald trump clip from any of his public appearances

that'll be your thing
    skippy why do you want to punish us so

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions

that'll be your thing

oh god no

I'm overall pretty pleased with how this all worked out. :D

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

that'll be your thing

oh god no

I am torn

because

1) oh god no

2) that'd be kind of hilarious, honestly

3) oh god no

that'll be your thing

What kind of monster are you?

This discussion has been closed.