As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Seizing the means of Structural [chat]eneering

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    sig when you lock a thread you should post an incoherent donald trump clip from any of his public appearances

that'll be your thing
    Arch wrote: »
    SIG who will you ban first and why is it skippy

well, that question got answered in a hurry

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    skippy is basically loki in hedgehog form

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Hello
    NO U

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    apparently i took too long doing my backup chat

sorry mang

i will have narwhal's horn for this transgression

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    sig when you lock a thread you should post an incoherent donald trump clip from any of his public appearances

that'll be your thing

oh god no

I am torn

because

1) oh god no

2) that'd be kind of hilarious, honestly

3) oh god no

Shiv do not give in

there is no such thing as ironic arghlbargle

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    This whole situation is typical of what you can expect from those structural types.

Like I said, sitting around thinking about building bridges ... and sitting around thinking about making [chat]s.

Leaders act. :P

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    One thing this training does is make me feel old. Lots of youngin's in here who I think are rather new out of undergrad. Folks not on a project and such.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Blurble I feel blell

fuck gendered marketing
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

that'll be your thing

oh god no

I am torn

because

1) oh god no

3) oh god no

It's not like there's a shortage.

"This nuclear holocaust will be like no other" is hot off the press.

i feel like

in an interview for computer vision

i could figure out what "canny edge detection" is

because... it is pretty self-explanatory?

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

that'll be your thing

oh god no

sig the people have spoken

there is a mandate

306 electoral votes require that you do this

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    py7PHNq.jpg

A local volunteer organization has captured, neutered, and sheltered most of the garden cats

But this sleepy kitten has evaded their traps

Paging @Neco

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Having interviewed STEM job applicants I can say that while there is no shortage of STEM graduates, there is a shortage of good STEM graduates.

My company isn't even trying to underpay or offer shit benefits and they've already accepted that they won't be getting google and apple level talent. And yet still, candidate after candidate cannot answer simple questions.

The ones that can answer are typically swimming in offers and take whatever tickles their fancy.

Can you give examples? This kind of thing makes me curious

canny edge detection and building boxes, etc

The canny edge detection story is actually a good example. My company does computer vision, so every applicant for certain positions has taken a computer vision course and listed computer vision as a specialization for a post-graduate degree. So keep that in mind.

Canny edge detection is one of the basic, most commonly taught computer vision algorithms. Its an image transform that takes in a fully detailed photographic image and spits out another image that looks more like a line drawing. Its great for, as its name suggests, detecting edges. It lets a computer greatly cut down the information content of an image, and make the content left over invariant to lighting, shading, etc. It's typically taught in Image Processing or Computer Vision 101 type classes.

I asked an open-ended question of a candidate. "How would you find a cardboard box in an image of a cardboard box?" The question tests a variety of things, but it's very open to discussion. One candidate in their answer mentioned the canny edge detector, but the way they used it in their design seemed a little odd and skipped a lot of steps, so I asked them to go back and explain. They looked at me like I had just ripped their pants down, so I knew I was in for a treat.

Over the course of their explanation, it became clear that they didn't know what the canny edge detector was or what it did or what its inputs and outputs were. These are not hard questions. It takes in a photo, it spits out a line drawing. But they couldn't say it because they didn't know it. They just threw out the words and hoped I'd let them gloss over it. And I would have, if their usage had made any sense.

From there the interview went rapidly downhill. It was clear they didn't have any computer vision experience and they failed the basic C/C++ programming test too. And this is not uncommon. This is representative of about half of the people who make it through the screening process. These are people with nice GPAs and degrees from good institutions. It's really demoralizing.

This is one of those things that I constantly kind of wonder/worry about. Like, if I was ever in an interview scenario like this one for something relevant to my field (let's say something molecular biology based, or hell, even computationally, because I'm sort of a computer scientist, albeit a shitty one).

I'm like, reasonably certain I would flub interview questions like this, but at the same time I know that I can figure a lot of stuff out- my entire postdoc has been me reading a technique on the internet i've never done before, and trying it out to see if it works

but if like, during an interview you asked me, say, how i would use southern blotting to investigate my phenotype of interest I would probably freak out and not be able to answer, despite the fact that A. I could look it up and B. follow the protocol and C. design a well-structured experiment around it

I know they aren't really equivalent scenarios, I'm just wondering how much I actually know, and how much of it was me coasting through like a lot of these candidates

I am forever filled with impostor syndrome

my final words, as I lay on my deathbed, having been a professor for years and years with a bunch of papers to my name will be

"they should never have given me a PhD"

If you work for a few years and then try to apply for a new job in something you went to school for but haven't done in a while and don't remember, you really need to go back and study for six hours or so. If you don't, you might end up the guy in a DK story. My sympathy for someone applying for a software engineer job that can't answer top Google hits for software engineer interview questions is limited.

sig.gif
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    SiG if you don't ban skippy in your first 100 days you'll never have the political capital to ban him ever again and you know his destructive ideas will ruin our society in the long term

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I started typing up a bunch of shit about some recent projects getting built soon but it was p braggy so I scrapped it

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i feel like

i mean it detects the edges of cans

ez pz next question

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I very much agree with what Donkey Kong wrote above. About half of candidates that get through all the layers of screening to even get to an interview seem unable to answer basic questions about things they chose to list on their resume. If someone doesn't know X that's usually not a problem But don't then go and say you know X on your fucking resume.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    i feel like

Or you'd read the resume and figure out what they want you to do before applying?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Blurble I feel blell

*pokes Elldren's stomach*

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Doctor thought I had the flu but IT TURNS OUT I DON'T SUCK IT, FLU.
    Instead I have pneumonia.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Okay SIG you're now a mod and a lawyer so I have the right to know why geth hates me.

you have no rights in the SIGocracy

Bless your heart.
    i feel like

so you've got the xmen, right

and they're uncanny

but then, in the ultimate continuity,

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Having interviewed STEM job applicants I can say that while there is no shortage of STEM graduates, there is a shortage of good STEM graduates.

My company isn't even trying to underpay or offer shit benefits and they've already accepted that they won't be getting google and apple level talent. And yet still, candidate after candidate cannot answer simple questions.

The ones that can answer are typically swimming in offers and take whatever tickles their fancy.

The canny edge detection story is actually a good example. My company does computer vision, so every applicant for certain positions has taken a computer vision course and listed computer vision as a specialization for a post-graduate degree. So keep that in mind.

Canny edge detection is one of the basic, most commonly taught computer vision algorithms. Its an image transform that takes in a fully detailed photographic image and spits out another image that looks more like a line drawing. Its great for, as its name suggests, detecting edges. It lets a computer greatly cut down the information content of an image, and make the content left over invariant to lighting, shading, etc. It's typically taught in Image Processing or Computer Vision 101 type classes.

I asked an open-ended question of a candidate. "How would you find a cardboard box in an image of a cardboard box?" The question tests a variety of things, but it's very open to discussion. One candidate in their answer mentioned the canny edge detector, but the way they used it in their design seemed a little odd and skipped a lot of steps, so I asked them to go back and explain. They looked at me like I had just ripped their pants down, so I knew I was in for a treat.

Over the course of their explanation, it became clear that they didn't know what the canny edge detector was or what it did or what its inputs and outputs were. These are not hard questions. It takes in a photo, it spits out a line drawing. But they couldn't say it because they didn't know it. They just threw out the words and hoped I'd let them gloss over it. And I would have, if their usage had made any sense.

From there the interview went rapidly downhill. It was clear they didn't have any computer vision experience and they failed the basic C/C++ programming test too. And this is not uncommon. This is representative of about half of the people who make it through the screening process. These are people with nice GPAs and degrees from good institutions. It's really demoralizing.

This is one of those things that I constantly kind of wonder/worry about. Like, if I was ever in an interview scenario like this one for something relevant to my field (let's say something molecular biology based, or hell, even computationally, because I'm sort of a computer scientist, albeit a shitty one).

I'm like, reasonably certain I would flub interview questions like this, but at the same time I know that I can figure a lot of stuff out- my entire postdoc has been me reading a technique on the internet i've never done before, and trying it out to see if it works

but if like, during an interview you asked me, say, how i would use southern blotting to investigate my phenotype of interest I would probably freak out and not be able to answer, despite the fact that A. I could look it up and B. follow the protocol and C. design a well-structured experiment around it

I know they aren't really equivalent scenarios, I'm just wondering how much I actually know, and how much of it was me coasting through like a lot of these candidates

my final words, as I lay on my deathbed, having been a professor for years and years with a bunch of papers to my name will be

If you work for a few years and then try to apply for a new job in something you went to school for but haven't done in a while and don't remember, you really need to go back and study for six hours or so. If you don't, you might end up the guy in a DK story. My sympathy for someone applying for a software engineer job that can't answer top Google hits for software engineer interview questions is limited.

this is in no way a thing where i'm like trying to be sympathetic to this guy I guess

just more imagining what I would be like in a non-academic interview cause like...academic interviews are....usually different than this

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hakkekage wrote: »

that'll be your thing

oh god no

I am torn

because

1) oh god no

3) oh god no

Shiv do not give in

there is no such thing as ironic arghlbargle

I am perhaps too good at dissociating myself from news

Things don't feel real

This helps in a lot of ways, though obviously in others it's not ideal

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

This would be so cool.

I started typing up a bunch of shit about some recent projects getting built soon but it was p braggy so I scrapped it

Don't worry, I was going to have you covered in my list of animals with fraudulent degrees

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    tumblr_olhechmar41qzeo2zo1_400.jpg

Look here's some nonsense to get you started

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

I mean, if I'm ready canny edge right on wikipedia, it's a grayscale/bluring (reduce the number of tiny sharp edges?) image where they scan over the ints in the bitmap and check for something breaking a threshold between adjacent values, seems pretty straight forward.

If you were doing computer vision as a degree this seems like something you'd be doing every god damned day for research and projects to the point where it'd be second nature.

Is the C++ just like.. testing if you know for/if/else/variables or are you doing OOP, structs, bit packing, etc ?

Canny is a very specific implementation of that, one that was invented in the 70s and is always cited as the default / standard edge detection technique. But essentially yes. You're looking for gradient that exceeds a certain threshold. Yes is is used like every day.

C++ test is a little nitpicky, but it's nothing crazy. We ask about macros and the preprocessor, keywords like static. We ask about pre and post increment stuff, pointer questions, some basic "reimplement basic string parsing" stuff, one question that tests that the candidate can write a sane function definition for something that need to use dynamically allocated memory. I'd call it a middling C++ test. Goes beyond if/else and loops, but stops sort of advanced crazy shit like multiple inheritance or weird ass corner cases that would be mean to expect someone to know.

I thought the macro question is a little mean at first, but when I watched a few people reason through it, I was impressed with how readily it exposes the frauds.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    [Chat], I present to you, the prettiest sandwich I have ever eaten:

w12g063yplbb.jpg

(It was also very tasty!)

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I very much agree with what Donkey Kong wrote above. About half of candidates that get through all the layers of screening to even get to an interview seem unable to answer basic questions about things they chose to list on their resume. If someone doesn't know X that's usually not a problem But don't then go and say you know X on your fucking resume.

I want examples so that I can feel cool for knowing things that other people don't

• YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular

At least once we had somebody in an interview be asked about something on their resume. They stared at the interviewer blankly, then pulled out an identical resume with that item removed.

Also, I apparently got my current job because the other applicant(s?) didn't know what DHCP was.

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Well I say you don't have pneumonia either. Who are you going to trust? Me, or those damn experts?

Quid wrote: »

DO NOT DIE

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

that'll be your thing

oh god no

sig the people have spoken

there is a mandate

306 electoral votes require that you do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S65jqrHQi_c

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

this is in no way a thing where i'm like trying to be sympathetic to this guy I guess

just more imagining what I would be like in a non-academic interview cause like...academic interviews are....usually different than this

maybe you would do bad in the first one but good in the second one though!

sig.gif
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    tumblr_olhechmar41qzeo2zo1_400.jpg

Look here's some nonsense to get you started

HW beat Obama by how much?

Hakkekage wrote: »
    SiG if you don't ban skippy in your first 100 days you'll never have the political capital to ban him ever again and you know his destructive ideas will ruin our society in the long term

this modministration is already beset by turmoil, suspect ties to outside forums

there are questions that need answering and I'm calling for an independent probe

I want sig's tax returns, I want to know how she paid for that new car, all of it

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    desc i am emotionally fragile and i cannot handle you posting such things

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
This discussion has been closed.