As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Seizing the means of Structural [chat]eneering

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I already wasted "L'Etat, c'est moi" on my last arrogant [chat] OP,

But I just want you to know that it continues to be true.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    One of my friends was interviewing people for a devops type job and about 50% of the candidates couldn't even fizzbuzz

people with honest-to-god CS degrees couldn't even start to make up a 10 line program in pseudocode

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    i am so god damn mad about the press conference

i am trying to restrict my yelling about it to the thread about live events but like

fuck

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Doctor thought I had the flu but IT TURNS OUT I DON'T SUCK IT, FLU.
    Instead I have pneumonia.

DO NOT DIE

BUILD ME MY ROBOT BODY

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    SiG if you don't ban skippy in your first 100 days you'll never have the political capital to ban him ever again and you know his destructive ideas will ruin our society in the long term

this modministration is already beset by turmoil, suspect ties to outside forums

there are questions that need answering and I'm calling for an independent probe

I want sig's tax returns, I want to know how she paid for that new car, all of it

The real issue isn't the fake news being reported ok, the real news is, how does the news know to report this fake news

The answer, ladies and gentlemen, is skippy

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    tumblr_olhechmar41qzeo2zo1_400.jpg

Look here's some nonsense to get you started

HW beat Obama by how much?

well you see dukakis ran an ad where he was in a tank so

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Skappy

are you more free now that you have ever been?

y/y?

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Aioua wrote: »
    One of my friends was interviewing people for a devops type job and about 50% of the candidates couldn't even fizzbuzz

people with honest-to-god CS degrees couldn't even start to make up a 10 line program in pseudocode

You can't be fucking serious.

I have a CIS degree and I can do that.

jungleroomx on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    southern poverty law has published their hate map for 2016 and

i am struck by how boring white supremacist groups names are

though there's one in virginia just called "silver bullet gun oil" and like

right to the point i guess

• AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    It's nice to see So It Goes already bringing order, justice, and some semblance of peace to the wastelands that are the Immortan Trump threads

Witnessed!

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

Just a good summary of the big fucking deal today, except for of course whatever shit goes down while I'm typing this post

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage

addendum

when he told me this I was like "what's fizzbuzz" and then I banged it out in 5 minutes in powershell and I'm not a even programmer, at the time I was T1 desktop support

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    tumblr_olhechmar41qzeo2zo1_400.jpg

Look here's some nonsense to get you started

HW beat Obama by how much?

well you see dukakis ran an ad where he was in a tank so

yeah it was just embarrassing, why would the American public ever want someone so incredibly unpresidential

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

This would be so cool.

I'd probably find a way to start watching again.

Eccleston, Tennant, and Capaldi are all fabulous actors, but Swinton takes her costars to school in every scene, and I would love to see what she brings to Doctor Who.

• YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular

I'll be honest. I don't know if I could either. But I can find tests to break any program over my goddamn knee.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Did they just toss a bunch of random nouns that they like in there?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Subnautica: Very Good

Very pretty and calming but still has the fun frisson of being underwater which is always spooky as heck.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Having interviewed STEM job applicants I can say that while there is no shortage of STEM graduates, there is a shortage of good STEM graduates.

My company isn't even trying to underpay or offer shit benefits and they've already accepted that they won't be getting google and apple level talent. And yet still, candidate after candidate cannot answer simple questions.

The ones that can answer are typically swimming in offers and take whatever tickles their fancy.

Can you give examples? This kind of thing makes me curious

canny edge detection and building boxes, etc

The canny edge detection story is actually a good example. My company does computer vision, so every applicant for certain positions has taken a computer vision course and listed computer vision as a specialization for a post-graduate degree. So keep that in mind.

Canny edge detection is one of the basic, most commonly taught computer vision algorithms. Its an image transform that takes in a fully detailed photographic image and spits out another image that looks more like a line drawing. Its great for, as its name suggests, detecting edges. It lets a computer greatly cut down the information content of an image, and make the content left over invariant to lighting, shading, etc. It's typically taught in Image Processing or Computer Vision 101 type classes.

I asked an open-ended question of a candidate. "How would you find a cardboard box in an image of a cardboard box?" The question tests a variety of things, but it's very open to discussion. One candidate in their answer mentioned the canny edge detector, but the way they used it in their design seemed a little odd and skipped a lot of steps, so I asked them to go back and explain. They looked at me like I had just ripped their pants down, so I knew I was in for a treat.

Over the course of their explanation, it became clear that they didn't know what the canny edge detector was or what it did or what its inputs and outputs were. These are not hard questions. It takes in a photo, it spits out a line drawing. But they couldn't say it because they didn't know it. They just threw out the words and hoped I'd let them gloss over it. And I would have, if their usage had made any sense.

From there the interview went rapidly downhill. It was clear they didn't have any computer vision experience and they failed the basic C/C++ programming test too. And this is not uncommon. This is representative of about half of the people who make it through the screening process. These are people with nice GPAs and degrees from good institutions. It's really demoralizing.

I mean, if I'm ready canny edge right on wikipedia, it's a grayscale/bluring (reduce the number of tiny sharp edges?) image where they scan over the ints in the bitmap and check for something breaking a threshold between adjacent values, seems pretty straight forward.

If you were doing computer vision as a degree this seems like something you'd be doing every god damned day for research and projects to the point where it'd be second nature.

Is the C++ just like.. testing if you know for/if/else/variables or are you doing OOP, structs, bit packing, etc ?

Canny is a very specific implementation of that, one that was invented in the 70s and is always cited as the default / standard edge detection technique. But essentially yes. You're looking for gradient that exceeds a certain threshold. Yes is is used like every day.

C++ test is a little nitpicky, but it's nothing crazy. We ask about macros and the preprocessor, keywords like static. We ask about pre and post increment stuff, pointer questions, some basic "reimplement basic string parsing" stuff, one question that tests that the candidate can write a sane function definition for something that need to use dynamically allocated memory. I'd call it a middling C++ test. Goes beyond if/else and loops, but stops sort of advanced crazy shit like multiple inheritance or weird ass corner cases that would be mean to expect someone to know.

I thought the macro question is a little mean at first, but when I watched a few people reason through it, I was impressed with how readily it exposes the frauds.

It really is kind of crazy the kind of shit you can do with macros though.

You don't hardly even need to write c++ code, just do it all in the preprocessor macro language.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    shit I guess I can't call my blunderbuss silver bullet gun oil now.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    What's a fizzbuzz?

I should do a codeacademy on Javascript or something

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    jrx I too have witnessed fizzbuzz failures

sig.gif
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

This is why companies are like "We cannot find enough qualified people for jobs, we need H1B visas", and people are like "but there are tons of unemployed STEM people!". Neither side is lying, both facts happen to be true at the same time. They're not mutual exclusives

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    oh good, here comes the swarm of texts

...yay

Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Did they just toss a bunch of random nouns that they like in there?

ok so we're a hate group but what's four things we like

I'll be honest. I don't know if I could either. But I can find tests to break any program over my goddamn knee.

I bet you could

input: a list of random ints with values between 1 and 100
    output: for each number print "fizz" if it's (evenly) divisible by 3, "buzz" if it's divisible by 5, and "fizzbuzz" if divisible by both.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Doctor thought I had the flu but IT TURNS OUT I DON'T SUCK IT, FLU.
    Instead I have pneumonia.

DO NOT DIE

BUILD ME MY ROBOT BODY

GOVERNMENT AIN'T FUNDING MY RESEARCH

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

This is why companies are like "We cannot find enough qualified people for jobs, we need H1B visas", and people are like "but there are tons of unemployed STEM people!". Neither side is lying, both facts happen to be true at the same time. They're not mutual exclusives

I don't think it's THAT bad.

sig.gif
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Write a fizzbuzz inside the definition of your loop, ignore the body.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Having interviewed STEM job applicants I can say that while there is no shortage of STEM graduates, there is a shortage of good STEM graduates.

My company isn't even trying to underpay or offer shit benefits and they've already accepted that they won't be getting google and apple level talent. And yet still, candidate after candidate cannot answer simple questions.

The ones that can answer are typically swimming in offers and take whatever tickles their fancy.

Can you give examples? This kind of thing makes me curious

canny edge detection and building boxes, etc

The canny edge detection story is actually a good example. My company does computer vision, so every applicant for certain positions has taken a computer vision course and listed computer vision as a specialization for a post-graduate degree. So keep that in mind.

Canny edge detection is one of the basic, most commonly taught computer vision algorithms. Its an image transform that takes in a fully detailed photographic image and spits out another image that looks more like a line drawing. Its great for, as its name suggests, detecting edges. It lets a computer greatly cut down the information content of an image, and make the content left over invariant to lighting, shading, etc. It's typically taught in Image Processing or Computer Vision 101 type classes.

I asked an open-ended question of a candidate. "How would you find a cardboard box in an image of a cardboard box?" The question tests a variety of things, but it's very open to discussion. One candidate in their answer mentioned the canny edge detector, but the way they used it in their design seemed a little odd and skipped a lot of steps, so I asked them to go back and explain. They looked at me like I had just ripped their pants down, so I knew I was in for a treat.

Over the course of their explanation, it became clear that they didn't know what the canny edge detector was or what it did or what its inputs and outputs were. These are not hard questions. It takes in a photo, it spits out a line drawing. But they couldn't say it because they didn't know it. They just threw out the words and hoped I'd let them gloss over it. And I would have, if their usage had made any sense.

From there the interview went rapidly downhill. It was clear they didn't have any computer vision experience and they failed the basic C/C++ programming test too. And this is not uncommon. This is representative of about half of the people who make it through the screening process. These are people with nice GPAs and degrees from good institutions. It's really demoralizing.

I mean, if I'm ready canny edge right on wikipedia, it's a grayscale/bluring (reduce the number of tiny sharp edges?) image where they scan over the ints in the bitmap and check for something breaking a threshold between adjacent values, seems pretty straight forward.

If you were doing computer vision as a degree this seems like something you'd be doing every god damned day for research and projects to the point where it'd be second nature.

Is the C++ just like.. testing if you know for/if/else/variables or are you doing OOP, structs, bit packing, etc ?

Canny is a very specific implementation of that, one that was invented in the 70s and is always cited as the default / standard edge detection technique. But essentially yes. You're looking for gradient that exceeds a certain threshold. Yes is is used like every day.

C++ test is a little nitpicky, but it's nothing crazy. We ask about macros and the preprocessor, keywords like static. We ask about pre and post increment stuff, pointer questions, some basic "reimplement basic string parsing" stuff, one question that tests that the candidate can write a sane function definition for something that need to use dynamically allocated memory. I'd call it a middling C++ test. Goes beyond if/else and loops, but stops sort of advanced crazy shit like multiple inheritance or weird ass corner cases that would be mean to expect someone to know.

I thought the macro question is a little mean at first, but when I watched a few people reason through it, I was impressed with how readily it exposes the frauds.

It really is kind of crazy the kind of shit you can do with macros though.

You don't hardly even need to write c++ code, just do it all in the preprocessor macro language.

After asking that macro question we say something like "ok very nice you got it! but if you ever write code like that you are fired. haha just kidding! seriously though. gone immediately."

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Are they only racist against werewolves?

nibXTE7.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    QUID THIS IS NOT HOW YOU ARE FATED TO GO

IT ISNT BY MY HAND

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    50% of being able to fizzbuzz is basic programming knowledge
    the other 50% is knowing that the modulo operator is a thing that exists

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    what im saying is, recover from pneumonia okay

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I very much agree with what Donkey Kong wrote above. About half of candidates that get through all the layers of screening to even get to an interview seem unable to answer basic questions about things they chose to list on their resume. If someone doesn't know X that's usually not a problem But don't then go and say you know X on your fucking resume.

I want examples so that I can feel cool for knowing things that other people don't

oh for example what is the difference between a value type and a reference type (or struct vs class) in C#. Why would you use a List<> vs a Dictionary<>. (for someone who claimed to know C#)

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular

I bet you could

input: a list of random ints with values between 1 and 100
    output: for each number print "fizz" if it's (evenly) divisible by 3, "buzz" if it's divisible by 5, and "fizzbuzz" if divisible by both.

for each i in inputlist
    if i mod 3 == 0
    print fizz
    if i mod 5 ==0
    print buzz
    print newline
    next

Okay, yeah, that's dumb easy if you've done any programming ever.

Are they only racist against werewolves?

that would be awesome actually

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I am fearful I am going to get destroyed in my next job interview

I was like, huh I can't say what static is

then I looked it up and it's like oh yeah, you can call the function without first having an object of that type

and if it's like a static variable, it's basically global across all instances of that object

and you can't create an interface for static shit so that's a knock against it in the test system we use (google mocks/tests)

yeah I knew those three things, but I had to do a google first to get my bearings : (

skippydumptruck on
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Shout-out to @Kid Presentable for his unwavering and enthusiastic support of my dictatorial regime, by the way!

You and the fine [chat]ters like you are the reason I do what I do, KP! <3

these hillbillies are so fkin team edward that southern poverty law put them on their hate map

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Man I hate having to do investigations. Know most everyone around here so get to see shitty politics in action.

This discussion has been closed.