As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Seizing the means of Structural [chat]eneering

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I am fearful I am going to get destroyed in my next job interview

I was like, huh I can't say what static is

then I looked it up and it's like oh yeah, you can call the function without first having an object of that type

and if it's like a static variable, it's basically global across all instances of that object

and you can't create an interface for static shit so that's a knock against it in the test system we use (google mocks/tests)

yeah I knew those three things, but I had to do a google first to get my bearings : (

Also if a function or variable are static at the top level, outside an object, that means they can only be seen by code in that file.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Having interviewed STEM job applicants I can say that while there is no shortage of STEM graduates, there is a shortage of good STEM graduates.

My company isn't even trying to underpay or offer shit benefits and they've already accepted that they won't be getting google and apple level talent. And yet still, candidate after candidate cannot answer simple questions.

The ones that can answer are typically swimming in offers and take whatever tickles their fancy.

Can you give examples? This kind of thing makes me curious

canny edge detection and building boxes, etc

The canny edge detection story is actually a good example. My company does computer vision, so every applicant for certain positions has taken a computer vision course and listed computer vision as a specialization for a post-graduate degree. So keep that in mind.

Canny edge detection is one of the basic, most commonly taught computer vision algorithms. Its an image transform that takes in a fully detailed photographic image and spits out another image that looks more like a line drawing. Its great for, as its name suggests, detecting edges. It lets a computer greatly cut down the information content of an image, and make the content left over invariant to lighting, shading, etc. It's typically taught in Image Processing or Computer Vision 101 type classes.

I asked an open-ended question of a candidate. "How would you find a cardboard box in an image of a cardboard box?" The question tests a variety of things, but it's very open to discussion. One candidate in their answer mentioned the canny edge detector, but the way they used it in their design seemed a little odd and skipped a lot of steps, so I asked them to go back and explain. They looked at me like I had just ripped their pants down, so I knew I was in for a treat.

Over the course of their explanation, it became clear that they didn't know what the canny edge detector was or what it did or what its inputs and outputs were. These are not hard questions. It takes in a photo, it spits out a line drawing. But they couldn't say it because they didn't know it. They just threw out the words and hoped I'd let them gloss over it. And I would have, if their usage had made any sense.

From there the interview went rapidly downhill. It was clear they didn't have any computer vision experience and they failed the basic C/C++ programming test too. And this is not uncommon. This is representative of about half of the people who make it through the screening process. These are people with nice GPAs and degrees from good institutions. It's really demoralizing.

I mean, if I'm ready canny edge right on wikipedia, it's a grayscale/bluring (reduce the number of tiny sharp edges?) image where they scan over the ints in the bitmap and check for something breaking a threshold between adjacent values, seems pretty straight forward.

If you were doing computer vision as a degree this seems like something you'd be doing every god damned day for research and projects to the point where it'd be second nature.

Is the C++ just like.. testing if you know for/if/else/variables or are you doing OOP, structs, bit packing, etc ?

Canny is a very specific implementation of that, one that was invented in the 70s and is always cited as the default / standard edge detection technique. But essentially yes. You're looking for gradient that exceeds a certain threshold. Yes is is used like every day.

C++ test is a little nitpicky, but it's nothing crazy. We ask about macros and the preprocessor, keywords like static. We ask about pre and post increment stuff, pointer questions, some basic "reimplement basic string parsing" stuff, one question that tests that the candidate can write a sane function definition for something that need to use dynamically allocated memory. I'd call it a middling C++ test. Goes beyond if/else and loops, but stops sort of advanced crazy shit like multiple inheritance or weird ass corner cases that would be mean to expect someone to know.

I thought the macro question is a little mean at first, but when I watched a few people reason through it, I was impressed with how readily it exposes the frauds.

It really is kind of crazy the kind of shit you can do with macros though.

You don't hardly even need to write c++ code, just do it all in the preprocessor macro language.

nooooo

the last decade of development in C++ has (among other things) been about adding shit so you never have to use macros again. constexpr etc...

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Aioua wrote: »
    One of my friends was interviewing people for a devops type job and about 50% of the candidates couldn't even fizzbuzz

people with honest-to-god CS degrees couldn't even start to make up a 10 line program in pseudocode

You can't be fucking serious.

I have a CIS degree and I can do that.

I'll be honest. I don't know if I could either. But I can find tests to break any program over my goddamn knee.

I bet you could

input: a list of random ints with values between 1 and 100
    output: for each number print "fizz" if it's (evenly) divisible by 3, "buzz" if it's divisible by 5, and "fizzbuzz" if divisible by both.

I keep wanting to write a joke overly complex way to do this that'd still work, but I'm having trouble actually thinking of any.

I guess you could do it by writing too many functions and passing shit around those.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

then I looked it up and it's like oh yeah, you can call the function without first having an object of that type

and if it's like a static variable, it's basically global across all instances of that object

and you can't create an interface for static shit so that's a knock against it in the test system we use (google mocks/tests)

yeah I knew those three things, but I had to do a google first to get my bearings : (

Study first!

sig.gif
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    One of my friends was interviewing people for a devops type job and about 50% of the candidates couldn't even fizzbuzz

people with honest-to-god CS degrees couldn't even start to make up a 10 line program in pseudocode

I'll be honest. I don't know if I could either. But I can find tests to break any program over my goddamn knee.

I bet you could

output: for each number print "fizz" if it's (evenly) divisible by 3, "buzz" if it's divisible by 5, and "fizzbuzz" if divisible by both.

Yeah like the point is that it tests for:

Do you know how to separate out shit into some conditional format?
    Do you know how to test for a simple mathematical property?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Sup chat, I've thought all day that today is Friday and reality is crushing me now pls help.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    southern poverty law has published their hate map for 2016 and

i am struck by how boring white supremacist groups names are

though there's one in virginia just called "silver bullet gun oil" and like

right to the point i guess
    Did they just toss a bunch of random nouns that they like in there?

ok so we're a hate group but what's four things we like

"We now call to order the first meeting of Vanilla Mayonnaise Cream Flour."

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    these hillbillies are so fkin team edward that southern poverty law put them on their hate map

Look Jacob is like some bizarre pedophile, so Team Edward.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    southern poverty law has published their hate map for 2016 and

i am struck by how boring white supremacist groups names are

though there's one in virginia just called "silver bullet gun oil" and like

right to the point i guess

Are they only racist against werewolves?

that would be awesome actually

the alt-death group God hates Fangs has partnered with them a few times.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Feral wrote: »
    50% of being able to fizzbuzz is basic programming knowledge
    the other 50% is knowing that the modulo operator is a thing that exists

You could probably also do it with some abomination involving floats and casting back and forth

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

I bet you could

I keep wanting to write a joke overly complex way to do this that'd still work, but I'm having trouble actually thinking of any.

I guess you could do it by writing too many functions and passing shit around those.

Typedefs and the other c++ thing like that can be used to do it with like the words of a poem or something

sig.gif
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Sup chat, I've thought all day that today is Friday and reality is crushing me now pls help.

Monday is a federal holiday.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »

I had that problem so I took tomorrow off.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Also if a function or variable are static at the top level, outside an object, that means they can only be seen by code in that file.

hmm idk what that means, 'at the top level, outside an object'

I very much agree with what Donkey Kong wrote above. About half of candidates that get through all the layers of screening to even get to an interview seem unable to answer basic questions about things they chose to list on their resume. If someone doesn't know X that's usually not a problem But don't then go and say you know X on your fucking resume.

I want examples so that I can feel cool for knowing things that other people don't

oh for example what is the difference between a value type and a reference type (or struct vs class) in C#. Why would you use a List<> vs a Dictionary<>. (for someone who claimed to know C#)

I feel like the latter is a thing anyone who claims to know anything about algorithms or data structures should be able to answer without any more context :P

I feel vindicated though.

You know if you wrote President Trump's recent press whatever as a comedy you'd be thrown out for being unrealistic.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

I bet you could

for each i in inputlist
    if i mod 3 == 0
    print fizz
    if i mod 5 ==0
    print buzz
    print newline
    next

Okay, yeah, that's dumb easy if you've done any programming ever.

Well, you run into repeated newlines for non-divisible things, but yes.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

I bet you could

for each i in inputlist
    if i mod 3 == 0
    print fizz
    if i mod 5 ==0
    print buzz
    print newline
    next

Okay, yeah, that's dumb easy if you've done any programming ever.

Yup.

If you can't do that shit then just hang it up. I don't even care about syntax, that's something you can learn as you go.

Modulo, son. Them remainders gonna help a lot.

(was gonna go all out but fuck it)

jungleroomx on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Having interviewed STEM job applicants I can say that while there is no shortage of STEM graduates, there is a shortage of good STEM graduates.

My company isn't even trying to underpay or offer shit benefits and they've already accepted that they won't be getting google and apple level talent. And yet still, candidate after candidate cannot answer simple questions.

The ones that can answer are typically swimming in offers and take whatever tickles their fancy.

Can you give examples? This kind of thing makes me curious

canny edge detection and building boxes, etc

The canny edge detection story is actually a good example. My company does computer vision, so every applicant for certain positions has taken a computer vision course and listed computer vision as a specialization for a post-graduate degree. So keep that in mind.

Canny edge detection is one of the basic, most commonly taught computer vision algorithms. Its an image transform that takes in a fully detailed photographic image and spits out another image that looks more like a line drawing. Its great for, as its name suggests, detecting edges. It lets a computer greatly cut down the information content of an image, and make the content left over invariant to lighting, shading, etc. It's typically taught in Image Processing or Computer Vision 101 type classes.

I asked an open-ended question of a candidate. "How would you find a cardboard box in an image of a cardboard box?" The question tests a variety of things, but it's very open to discussion. One candidate in their answer mentioned the canny edge detector, but the way they used it in their design seemed a little odd and skipped a lot of steps, so I asked them to go back and explain. They looked at me like I had just ripped their pants down, so I knew I was in for a treat.

Over the course of their explanation, it became clear that they didn't know what the canny edge detector was or what it did or what its inputs and outputs were. These are not hard questions. It takes in a photo, it spits out a line drawing. But they couldn't say it because they didn't know it. They just threw out the words and hoped I'd let them gloss over it. And I would have, if their usage had made any sense.

From there the interview went rapidly downhill. It was clear they didn't have any computer vision experience and they failed the basic C/C++ programming test too. And this is not uncommon. This is representative of about half of the people who make it through the screening process. These are people with nice GPAs and degrees from good institutions. It's really demoralizing.

I mean, if I'm ready canny edge right on wikipedia, it's a grayscale/bluring (reduce the number of tiny sharp edges?) image where they scan over the ints in the bitmap and check for something breaking a threshold between adjacent values, seems pretty straight forward.

If you were doing computer vision as a degree this seems like something you'd be doing every god damned day for research and projects to the point where it'd be second nature.

Is the C++ just like.. testing if you know for/if/else/variables or are you doing OOP, structs, bit packing, etc ?

Canny is a very specific implementation of that, one that was invented in the 70s and is always cited as the default / standard edge detection technique. But essentially yes. You're looking for gradient that exceeds a certain threshold. Yes is is used like every day.

C++ test is a little nitpicky, but it's nothing crazy. We ask about macros and the preprocessor, keywords like static. We ask about pre and post increment stuff, pointer questions, some basic "reimplement basic string parsing" stuff, one question that tests that the candidate can write a sane function definition for something that need to use dynamically allocated memory. I'd call it a middling C++ test. Goes beyond if/else and loops, but stops sort of advanced crazy shit like multiple inheritance or weird ass corner cases that would be mean to expect someone to know.

I thought the macro question is a little mean at first, but when I watched a few people reason through it, I was impressed with how readily it exposes the frauds.

It really is kind of crazy the kind of shit you can do with macros though.

You don't hardly even need to write c++ code, just do it all in the preprocessor macro language.

nooooo

the last decade of development in C++ has (among other things) been about adding shit so you never have to use macros again. constexpr etc...

Yeah I know it.

Sometimes if I download some code and I see it's heavy in macros I just sigh, close it, and pretend like I never looked at it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

You could probably also do it with some abomination involving floats and casting back and forth

Yeah I was literally just thinking like oh shit how do I test for a remainder again for a second and then remembered good old buddy modulo.

Although also like... if someone did a fizzbuzz without modulo that was just like "call the function DivisibleByFive" I would say that's not too ridiculous as an answer.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Y'all are prisoners of your own fizzbuzz.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

I bet you could

I had one that put the ascii for "fizzbuzz" into a byte array and read out of it starting different places using bizarre pointer arithmetic that worked out to be the right place for each integer used.

• YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    I haven't written a line of code outside an in-house test app in nearly a decade.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

If you set an array using a do while loop...

*smacks self*

jungleroomx on
  • Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    these hillbillies are so fkin team edward that southern poverty law put them on their hate map

Edward is like 100 years old and is going after a 17 year old.

They are both bizarre pedophiles

hmm idk what that means, 'at the top level, outside an object'

You know how your main function doesn't belong to an object? It's just a bare function in a C++ file? Like that.

Fizzbuzz will at least tell you you have a programmer of some variety if they can solve it.

Depending on how elegant it is, and if they took longer than 30 minutes, will tell you if they're a natural programmer, or just someone who studied what fizzbuzz was the night before.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Yeah about a year ago I was in the position of firing out fairly bullshit-filled resumes. I was going for data science (lel) but easily could have been shooting out machine vision resumes since that's a bit closer to what I actually know how to do. Very unclear if I'd immediately get spotted as a fraud, but I 100% understand why you would put that sort of thing on your resume--you are a stem PhD with an expertise in something entirely useless and non-job relevant, you want your resume to be looked at, so you put in some keywords and figure you'll learn them on the job.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
    Preacher wrote: »

Edward is like 100 years old and is going after a 17 year old.

They are both bizarre pedophiles

Her soul is older than she is captain, god TRUE LOVE TRANSCENDS BARRIERS!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

in C or C++ yeah. Means something different in C#. And in Javascript it means a local variable whose value is kept around the next time you call the same function.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!

I bet you could

I had one that put the ascii for "fizzbuzz" into a byte array and read out of it starting different places using bizarre pointer arithmetic that worked out to be the right place for each integer used.

Oh man this is amazing

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

yeah

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Bookies must not know what the BBC's budget is.

Fizzbuzz will at least tell you you have a programmer of some variety if they can solve it.

Depending on how elegant it is, and if they took longer than 30 minutes, will tell you if they're a natural programmer, or just someone who studied what fizzbuzz was the night before.

haha what

sig.gif
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I think that with a year actually working a bit more in computer vision, I probably could do ok in a machine vision question like 'recognize [anything]', although what I would say instead is 'do transferred learning from a CNN developed for imagenet' -- although then if I were asked 'yeah ok, so how would you do that' I would say 'I would fucking google it/ask my colleagues'

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Bookies must not know what the BBC's budget is.
    They do know how gullible fandom is, though.

8i1dt37buh2m.png

in C or C++ yeah. Means something different in C#. And in Javascript it means a local variable whose value is kept around the next time you call the same function.

Static is one of those things I need to go lookup, without fail, every time I switch languages.

Now I've got people trying to log in under the name "facebook".

Oi...

All this hype for the new doctor it'll just be a white guy again and everyone will be all "NOOOO!"

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.