As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Seizing the means of Structural [chat]eneering

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Fizzbuzz will at least tell you you have a programmer of some variety if they can solve it.

Depending on how elegant it is, and if they took longer than 30 minutes, will tell you if they're a natural programmer, or just someone who studied what fizzbuzz was the night before.

haha what

A lot of recruiters will tell a comp-sci person to study up on fizzbuzz.

Then they struggle with ordering the if/else statement to make it work right, etc.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Also if a function or variable are static at the top level, outside an object, that means they can only be seen by code in that file.

hmm idk what that means, 'at the top level, outside an object'

You know how your main function doesn't belong to an object? It's just a bare function in a C++ file? Like that.

ah

I don't think I've seen a main function since I started working

so in that instance you'd have file.cpp

and in it you'd have the static function declared and defined and then the main function

and even if you #include file.cpp in another file, you won't be able to get at the static because it's not related to a class?

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    if someone was actually doing really well on the easy C# questions I used to like to ask them what the yield keyword is for as it used to be hell of obscure.

but now it's pretty important to the language what with async and await so people should know it

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    these hillbillies are so fkin team edward that southern poverty law put them on their hate map

Look Jacob is like some bizarre pedophile, so Team Edward.

Edward is like 100 years old and is going after a 17 year old.

They are both bizarre pedophiles

dude she's just an analogy for every 17 year old girl so really she's like hundreds of thousands of years old.

SHE'S the pedophile

are YOU on the beer list?
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    the only thing fizzbuzz tells you is whether they fail it

almost everything you think you learn in an interview is not signal but noise

people are super different and so much depends on what kind of day they're having

i suppose if they just barely passed it it might tell me i should ask some more coding questions

sig.gif
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    And all I have to say for canny edges is just--there are opencv implementations of that readily available. But if I want to recognize lines specifically instead of just getting a messy outline I would use Line Segment Detection, also already implemented in opencv etc.

But like, have I ever personally done this--no...but does that really matter?

Thank god I don't see myself changing jobs for a while, or applying for a senior scientist sort of position if I do...

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    bizarre pointer arithmetic is my math rock new order cover band

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    southern poverty law has published their hate map for 2016 and

i am struck by how boring white supremacist groups names are

though there's one in virginia just called "silver bullet gun oil" and like

right to the point i guess

Are they only racist against werewolves?

that would be awesome actually

Some white supremacist group that's really particular about procedure when it comes to meetings, they're setting up the group and the leader steps up, "What's dark and comes in the night to steal our white women? That's right, N-"

"WEREWOLVES!"

"God dammit Jimbob... Lucille read back the minutes."

"Says werewolves here Joebob."

"God dammit. Guess we have to be racist against werewolves. Jimbob you dumb son of a bitch..."

nibXTE7.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    One of my friends was interviewing people for a devops type job and about 50% of the candidates couldn't even fizzbuzz

people with honest-to-god CS degrees couldn't even start to make up a 10 line program in pseudocode

You can't be fucking serious.

I have a CIS degree and I can do that.

I'll be honest. I don't know if I could either. But I can find tests to break any program over my goddamn knee.

I bet you could

input: a list of random ints with values between 1 and 100
    output: for each number print "fizz" if it's (evenly) divisible by 3, "buzz" if it's divisible by 5, and "fizzbuzz" if divisible by both.

I keep wanting to write a joke overly complex way to do this that'd still work, but I'm having trouble actually thinking of any.

I guess you could do it by writing too many functions and passing shit around those.

I had one that put the ascii for "fizzbuzz" into a byte array and read out of it starting different places using bizarre pointer arithmetic that worked out to be the right place for each integer used.

Oh man this is amazing

Oh here it is.
    int main()
    {
        char* c = "fizzbuzz";
        for(int i=1; i< 101; i++)
        {
            int s = 4*(!(i%5)&&(i%3));
            int f = 4*(!(i%3)+2*!(i%5)-!(i%15));
            for(int j=s;j<f;j++)
                cout << c[j];
            if (!f)
                cout << i;
            cout << endl;
        }
        return 0;
    }

Looks like this one is similar but even more ridic.
    int main()
    {
        long long c = 0xD6AA2D6926;
        {
            for(int j=4*(!(i%5)&&(i%3));j<4*(!(i%3)+2*!(i%5)-!(i%15));j++)
                cout << (char)(((c>>(j*5))&0x1F)|0x60);
            if (!(!(i%3)+2*!(i%5)-!(i%15)))
                cout << i;
            cout << endl;
        }
        return 0;
    }

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Some white supremacist group that's really particular about procedure when it comes to meetings, they're setting up the group and the leader steps up, "What's dark and comes in the night to steal our white women? That's right, N-"

"WEREWOLVES!"

"God dammit. Guess we have to be racist against werewolves. Jimbob you dumb son of a bitch..."

But white supremacists love werewolves.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

"WEREWOLVES!"

Sounds like the plot for a Mel Brooks skit.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I am tempted to make a fizzbuzz abomination with an array filled with the null character and "fizz" and "buzz" in certain locations that abuses the fuck out of c strings in dangerous ways such that it hits a null character as the start and is an empty string if the number isn't properly divisible by three or five.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    We interview a lot of level 1 candidates in my department. Some of them are internals.

We get a lot of frauds. The resume screening process filters most them out, but some of them sneak through.

None of the stories are particularly funny, though. It's usually just walking them through a simple troubleshooting problem and discovering that they don't know how to use basic tools or even do basic process of elimination style thinking.

Stuff like

"An employee calls you on the phone and says that he can't browse any websites. What do you do?"

"Tell me what program or tool you'd use to perform a Windows password reset."

About 1 out of every 4 or 5 of our interviewees flub these two questions.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Boss is out tomorrow. I took a half day but let's be real I'm gonna leave at like 10.

Going to the cabin, and going to spend Friday and Saturday night there so I've got to put together a project list.

I HAVE to:

- finish my knife
    - work on the blunderbuss (it's not fitting together properly and needs some woodwork)
    - wax my canvas pack
    - get my new mead whiskey flask finished

I'd LIKE to:

- work on the other two rifles
    - flintknap a knife point (I'm still shitty at this, nowhere near production ready)
    - work on a bow that's been leaning up in the cabin for almost a year
    - get my canvas tent ready for the camp out in May
    - work on sewing a tobacco pouch out of waxed canvas
    - work on a new pipe

• Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    hello all how are

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
    Feral wrote: »
    We interview a lot of level 1 candidates in my department. Some of them are internals.

We get a lot of frauds. The resume screening process filters most them out, but some of them sneak through.

None of the stories are particularly funny, though. It's usually just walking them through a simple troubleshooting problem and discovering that they don't know how to use basic tools or even do basic process of elimination style thinking.

Stuff like

"An employee calls you on the phone and says that he can't browse any websites. What do you do?"

"Tell me what program or tool you'd use to perform a Windows password reset."

About 1 out of every 4 or 5 of our interviewees flub these two questions.

Screech loudly into the phone

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    hello all how are

yes share if you agree

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Ahaha I am in love

• HounHoun Registered User regular

people are super different and so much depends on what kind of day they're having

i suppose if they just barely passed it it might tell me i should ask some more coding questions

I'm not a programmer, but I absolutely can figure out simple script shit if I'm at a keyboard and can test my way through it. Don't ask me to pseudocode it on a whiteboard, though, I'll forget every single bit of any language, up to and including English.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Lady just called me Son on the phone, THIS AGE PRIVELEGE!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Feral wrote: »
    hello all how are

yes share if you agree

pls like and subscribe

::four million boxes pop up::

Boss is out tomorrow. I took a half day but let's be real I'm gonna leave at like 10.

Going to the cabin, and going to spend Friday and Saturday night there so I've got to put together a project list.

I HAVE to:

- finish my knife
    - work on the blunderbuss (it's not fitting together properly and needs some woodwork)
    - wax my canvas pack

I'd LIKE to:

- flintknap a knife point (I'm still shitty at this, nowhere near production ready)
    - work on a new pipe

I will be:

-Fixing the damn misconfigured SAN
    -Drinking Wine &| Beer &| Liquor.
    -Watching Winter Brawl on Twitch
    -Hunting them Pokemans.

Lady just called me Son on the phone, THIS AGE PRIVELEGE!

At least it wasnt sonny Preach.

• YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

I'm not a programmer, but I absolutely can figure out simple script shit if I'm at a keyboard and can test my way through it. Don't ask me to pseudocode it on a whiteboard, though, I'll forget every single bit of any language, up to and including English.

I do not know the password for our shared NAS drive. If you asked me to speak it to you, I could not. I absolutely have to be sitting at the keyboard and typing.

One of my friends was interviewing people for a devops type job and about 50% of the candidates couldn't even fizzbuzz

people with honest-to-god CS degrees couldn't even start to make up a 10 line program in pseudocode

You can't be fucking serious.

I have a CIS degree and I can do that.

I'll be honest. I don't know if I could either. But I can find tests to break any program over my goddamn knee.

I bet you could

input: a list of random ints with values between 1 and 100
    output: for each number print "fizz" if it's (evenly) divisible by 3, "buzz" if it's divisible by 5, and "fizzbuzz" if divisible by both.

I keep wanting to write a joke overly complex way to do this that'd still work, but I'm having trouble actually thinking of any.

I guess you could do it by writing too many functions and passing shit around those.

I had one that put the ascii for "fizzbuzz" into a byte array and read out of it starting different places using bizarre pointer arithmetic that worked out to be the right place for each integer used.

Oh man this is amazing

Oh here it is.
    int main()
    {
        char* c = "fizzbuzz";
        {
            int s = 4*(!(i%5)&&(i%3));
            int f = 4*(!(i%3)+2*!(i%5)-!(i%15));
            for(int j=s;j<f;j++)
                cout << c[j];
            if (!f)
                cout << i;
            cout << endl;
        }
        return 0;
    }

Looks like this one is similar but even more ridic.
    int main()
    {
        long long c = 0xD6AA2D6926;
        {
            for(int j=4*(!(i%5)&&(i%3));j<4*(!(i%3)+2*!(i%5)-!(i%15));j++)
                cout << (char)(((c>>(j*5))&0x1F)|0x60);
            if (!(!(i%3)+2*!(i%5)-!(i%15)))
                cout << i;
            cout << endl;
        }
        return 0;
    }

I HAVE to:

- finish my knife
    - wax my canvas pack

I'd LIKE to:

- work on a new pipe
    - Finally kill a group of teenagers who got lost in the hill billy area

Be a bigger cliche...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I was also toying around with the idea of a bamboo (river cane) blowgun but come on that's just silly.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    here's what you do when you're interviewing a candidate for a job:

look them right in the eye

begin vocalizing wordlessly in monotone

don't break eye contact

if they break eye contact, they don't get the job

if they start making the same noise in unison, they don't get the job

continue for five minutes

if they patiently wait for you to finish, and then continue the interview as normal, you have a real potential candidate on your hands

edited February 2017
    ok thank god I can code fizzbuzz in like 3 minutes making 1 syntax error (no colon after else lol; pretty usual for me to leave that out). Not the most fraudulent of frauds.

credeiki on
    I was also toying around with the idea of a bamboo (river cane) blowgun but come on that's just silly.

Then make it a breathing tube.

• YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular

There are two kinds of people in the world.

People who don't have sedative darts in their neck.

And people who do.

Which side do you wa

I like how you snuck this in on the hopes that people would quote it.

I like how you snuck this in on the hopes that people would quote it.

Why I never...

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Houn wrote: »

I do not know the password for our shared NAS drive. If you asked me to speak it to you, I could not. I absolutely have to be sitting at the keyboard and typing.

Here's the thing. If I'm interviewing and I ask somebody "Do you know Powershell?" or "Do you know Cisco CLI?" I can tell the difference between somebody who actually does know it and just can't remember the details right now, vs somebody who is just bullshitting.

If I'm asking somebody to describe how they'd use Powershell to solve a problem and they're like "Well, I don't remember the exact command, but it's something like Get Mailbox, and then there's a switch that's like a hyphen and then Username, and then you can pipe that into a CSV..." that's enough for me to know that they've actually used Powershell for something in their life. I don't expect them to remember the exact commands or syntax.

hello all how are

I continue my week of indolence! It's great!

Jubal77 wrote: »

I've already got like 10 cane fire bellows that I give out to scouts and stuff when they want something bushcrafty

Man hiring/interviewing is like my least favorite thing.

Jubal77 wrote: »

I've already got like 10 cane fire bellows that I give out to scouts and stuff when they want something bushcrafty

Shouldn't you just hand them a bic and tell them to come up for air instead of just like staying down there?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    hey guys this is a quote from me, i said this

“I am the least anti-Semitic person you've ever seen in your entire life,” Trump Castle said. “Number two, racism, [I’m] the least racist person. In fact, weCastle did really well relative to other people running as a RepublicanMayor of Chat."

so please elect me

ha holy shit I COULD actually take some of the black walnuts that have fallen around camp (the outer shells have a mild toxin in them) and make tranq darts.

wow.

WOW.

This discussion has been closed.