As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Seizing the means of Structural [chat]eneering

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Oh fuck yeah this cough medicine has the codeines

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    i will likely never ski. too many stories about people getting seriously hurt. it's even like a trope in shows and shit.

riskiest thing i do, aside from driving to work everyday, is scuba diving.

I think it's fine if you're okay at it or get lessons. I am really bad at just about every physical activity and this really cemented that for me.

Skiing's easy, just slide down and don't intersect with any objects

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    the guy who owns the physical therapy practice I go to seems really bummed that I don't want to ski ever again

given that seeing pictures of other people skiing fills me with dread and alarm I just don't think it's in the cards

I must have missed it, I'm actually curious what happened

Like I know it was a skiing accident but like

Were you like trying to outrun the yeti or something?

I was on the second easiest slope and it was icy, I was going a little bit fast and then I fell over and I then I don't remember what happened exactly. Then I woke up and felt my femur move around like it absolutely should not and started hollering for help.

it wasn't like, terrible conditions. kids were skiing past me asking what happened to me. I don't remember and trying to remember causes me to panic

That's fine, I don't want you to freak out.

Just so we're sure, this isn't what happened, right?

Skifree_yeti.png
    yeah but I was wearing fashionable ski clothes

I expected nothing less of you, Shaft

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I'm going skiing this weekend. Some day I'll jump out of a plane.

jumping out a plane is p fun

esp if you go somewhere where they make you do it yourself the first time and you're like but I don't wanna die but the instructor has already pried your fingers off the wing you do it anyways cuz you're badass

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Elki wrote: »
    I enjoyed quite a few things about the For Honor beta, but I can imagine that within 2 weeks it would be a rough time to play the game if you didn't know the move sets, animations, and cancels for all dozen heroes.

I fenced competitively for years in HS and college. a little embarrassing but there it is. the core mechanics of FH reminded me a lot of fencing - pacing, distance, guessing attack direction & patterns, etc. it seems like it has a lot of promise, especially since no one has cracked the melee combat mechanics yet, but i'm not sure i want to have to focus that much on a video game.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    my physio is still kind of mystified by my issue. she thinks my neck is pinching a nerve because of all the neck issues, and that's causing nerve mobility issues in my arms, but she's really not sure why something more circulatory like heat or drinking aggravates it (pretty consistently).

she's even consulted her, like, cabal of fellows and they don't know.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Irond Will wrote: »
    hey will porp and I were just saying the other day that we missed playing overwatch with you

yeah! it was a lot of fun!

I've not played much in a while. Logged on to try out umbra or w/e, but ended up just rolling with zarya like i always do.

I'm doing a DA:I replay while I'm waiting for ME:Andromeda to drop. Thought about picking up For Honor but I don't know anyone who will play it and it seemed very likely to have a shit community.

@elki and @onthelastcastle both tried it the other day and said it underwhelmed

@porp and I just picked up vermintide to play with the aforementioned duders, it's a p fun l4d2 clone

I'll look into vermintide. Is it one of those indie releases?

It's one of those now rare AA releases.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    You fucking programmers are the reason I'm always having to add more ram to the VM farm.

here's the stuff one developer installed on one workstation for one project:

Crystal Reports (with viewers, tools, extensions)
    Google Chrome
    IIS 10 Express
    IIS Express Application Compatibility Database for x64
    IIS Express Application Compatibility Database for x86
    Microsoft .NET Version Manager
    Microsoft Help Viewer 1.1
    Microsoft Help Viewer 2.0
    Microsoft Help Viewer 2.2
    Microsoft Report Viewer 2012
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (and all the management objects, clients, etc)
    Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (and all the management objects, clients, etc)
    Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (and all the management objects, clients, etc)
    Microsoft SQL Server Compact
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Restributable
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Restributable (x64 and x86 versions)
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Restributable (x64 and x86 versions)
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Restributable (x64 and x86 versions)
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Restributable (x64 and x86 versions)
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Restributable (x64 and x86 versions)
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (with lots of different tools, extensions, etc)
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 (with lots of different tools, extensions, etc)
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 (with lots of different tools, extensions, etc)
    Microsoft Web Deploy

Also:

12 different versions of the software he was modifying

It's not our choice!

Why the different versions of Visual studio? That's bizarre.

No clue.

Also, in this team's dev environment, they have SQL servers deployed to the specs they asked for

Why does he need multiple versions of SQL server installed on his workstation?

itisamystery.jpg

We just isolated off the dev environment from the rest of the network and let them do their thing.

We had a big SQL cluster that was shared by like seven apps and then the sharepoint team ROYALLY fucked it up so now they have their own SQL server because they're morons.

SQL clusters would be better if they were unsullied by any actual work

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    so i knew a girl who hurt herself bicycling

she broke her arm pretty bad, had just slid out on a gravel road and fell in a ditch and busted her arm and was in shock and thought she was going to die cold and alone and nobody would hear her screaming for help

and like months after the accident, the idea of getting on a bicycle, even seeing other people cycling would start to give her a panic attack

she basically had all the signs of PTSD

i tried talking to her about it since that's a subject i'm familiar with and she's like "nope i don't have PTSD from falling off my fucking bike c'mon that's pathetic and insulting to people who really have PTSD from being sexually assaulted or getting blown up in Afghanistan or whatever"

i'm like girl you have never been seriously injured in your life before

that was the first time you had ever been hurt so fucking bad you thought you were going to die, you were in a bad situation where you were screaming for help and nobody showed up and it took you minutes to get your shit together to try to dial 911 on your phone and only then did a passerby find you and help you

it was a scary situation for you, and more importantly one you had no mental frame of reference for because ultimately it's not like this kind of shit has happened before in your life

so yeah, it was traumatic, and you don't need to be ashamed of that, and you don't need to be ashamed of getting help with it

idk if she ever did, she had a pretty big issue with parsing the idea of "it was traumatic because you had never been hurt like that before" as anything other than "it gave you PTSD because you're a privileged wuss who has never broken a bone before"

we don't really talk much, and when we do it's not about that, so idk

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    You fucking programmers are the reason I'm always having to add more ram to the VM farm.

here's the stuff one developer installed on one workstation for one project:

Crystal Reports (with viewers, tools, extensions)
    Google Chrome
    IIS 10 Express
    IIS Express Application Compatibility Database for x64
    IIS Express Application Compatibility Database for x86
    Microsoft .NET Version Manager
    Microsoft Help Viewer 1.1
    Microsoft Help Viewer 2.0
    Microsoft Help Viewer 2.2
    Microsoft Report Viewer 2012
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (and all the management objects, clients, etc)
    Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (and all the management objects, clients, etc)
    Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (and all the management objects, clients, etc)
    Microsoft SQL Server Compact
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Restributable
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Restributable (x64 and x86 versions)
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Restributable (x64 and x86 versions)
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Restributable (x64 and x86 versions)
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Restributable (x64 and x86 versions)
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Restributable (x64 and x86 versions)
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (with lots of different tools, extensions, etc)
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 (with lots of different tools, extensions, etc)
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 (with lots of different tools, extensions, etc)
    Microsoft Web Deploy

Also:

12 different versions of the software he was modifying

It's not our choice!

Why the different versions of Visual studio? That's bizarre.

No clue.

Also, in this team's dev environment, they have SQL servers deployed to the specs they asked for

Why does he need multiple versions of SQL server installed on his workstation?

itisamystery.jpg

We just isolated off the dev environment from the rest of the network and let them do their thing.

All that shit is just the defaults of what dev studio puts on when you install it. Odds are all he installed was Crystal Reports and the three copies of dev studio. You actually do need multiple versions sometimes if you need to compile something that uses multiple toolkit versions. I have to always have 2010 and 2012 installed. We recently axed all the libraries that required 2005, thank god.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

This is pretty high on our list of dates we will eventually have

hey will porp and I were just saying the other day that we missed playing overwatch with you

I've not played much in a while. Logged on to try out umbra or w/e, but ended up just rolling with zarya like i always do.

I'm doing a DA:I replay while I'm waiting for ME:Andromeda to drop. Thought about picking up For Honor but I don't know anyone who will play it and it seemed very likely to have a shit community.

@porp and I just picked up vermintide to play with the aforementioned duders, it's a p fun l4d2 clone

Yeah I think so? When I said l4d2 clone I really meant it though. A lot of it (the enemies in particular) is straight lifted from l4d2. Which is fine, cuz l4d2 was a great game and a ton of fun to play with bros.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    why jump out of a plane we've been in free fall since november

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    I simultaneously hate the idea of Moscow mule flavored kettle chips and want to try them out and think they could work

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

esp if you go somewhere where they make you do it yourself the first time and you're like but I don't wanna die but the instructor has already pried your fingers off the wing you do it anyways cuz you're badass

The instructor is definitely going to have to overpower me. I'd also recommend a face mask for him because there will be fluids of some type leaving my body. It'll be great.

• Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    my dad wanted to know if I wanted to go skiing in march. I haven't been skiing in a while, and I haven't been to Colorado since they've legalized certain products, so I was leaning yes. But I learned that in the group that's going, my boss's boss is in there (a friend of my dads.) Im just not sure if I want to get high in front of the head of my company.

Podly wrote: »
    I simultaneously hate the idea of Moscow mule flavored kettle chips and want to try them out and think they could work

Ginger and lime chips sound ok but calling them moscow mule chips is really dumb.

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

why not just call them ginger lime chips?

Wqdwp8l.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I am afraid of heights but the abstract idea of parachuting seems fun

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Well I guess Taco Bell will struggle to fill those chalupa orders.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    You see the conundrum there though

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    the guy who owns the physical therapy practice I go to seems really bummed that I don't want to ski ever again

given that seeing pictures of other people skiing fills me with dread and alarm I just don't think it's in the cards

I must have missed it, I'm actually curious what happened

Like I know it was a skiing accident but like

Were you like trying to outrun the yeti or something?

I was on the second easiest slope and it was icy, I was going a little bit fast and then I fell over and I then I don't remember what happened exactly. Then I woke up and felt my femur move around like it absolutely should not and started hollering for help.

it wasn't like, terrible conditions. kids were skiing past me asking what happened to me. I don't remember and trying to remember causes me to panic

That's fine, I don't want you to freak out.

Just so we're sure, this isn't what happened, right?

Skifree_yeti.png
    yeah but I was wearing fashionable ski clothes

More fashionable than those in the picture?? Damn Eddy, you're basically a fashion prodigy.

vRyue2p.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    omg this lazy cat

his food is sitting up on a dresser next to my desk so that the other cats don't eat it

and if i'm sitting at my desk, instead of jumping up to his food, he will sit at the dresser looking forlornly up at it, periodically chirping to try to get my attention

because he knows i'll scoop him up and put him on the dresser

you lazy piece of shit, jump

i know you can, you jump all fucking day, you jump up there when i'm not around

you are taking the lazy way out because you can, you ginger fuck

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    skiing and snowboarding are a hard pass for me

I also won't bicycle ever since I broke my clavicle doing that

or skate since that's how I almost broke my elbow

I like my bones in one piece tyvm

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

I was wondering why my lunch wasn't here yet.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    c330a737d9a6da7d0b7ffd00c2fca21b55b8b71f_620x310.jpg

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Amateurhour ain't jumping out of no airplanes.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    skiing and snowboarding are a hard pass for me

I also won't bicycle ever since I broke my clavicle doing that

or skate since that's how I almost broke my elbow

I like my bones in one piece tyvm

your bones are actually in several pieces.

Like, minimum, seven.

I am not a doctor.

• YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017

The instructor is definitely going to have to overpower me. I'd also recommend a face mask for him because there will be fluids of some type leaving my body. It'll be great.

Just a spiral of shit, piss, and puke from 12000 feet to the ground.

YamiNoSenshi on
    snowboarding is a ton of fun

man it's been like, 10+ years since I last went? my brother still has my board but I think my boots are still in the basement somewhere

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Amateurhour ain't jumping out of no airplanes.

Yeah you more fall than jump.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Elki wrote: »

It's one of those now rare AA releases.

huh. might as well download it i guess. looks like kind of a medieval fps/ melee thing? how are the controls?

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Skiing would be fun... but so is walking.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    everyone welcome new mod irond will

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    So Beyond the Reach made it to Amazon Prime and I decided to watch it last night cause I like Michael Douglas and it's a movie where he hunts a man in the desert so why not?

It was..... okay?

For a 1.5 hour movie it was actually too long and the ending was garbo

are YOU on the beer list?
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

everything underwhelms castle. the "playing a game" part always cuts into his focus on livestreaming his bullshit.

Woooooooow

This so hurtful @Irond Will

I love lots of games: dark souls, dark souls 2, dark souls 3.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

why not just call them ginger lime chips?

i think you know why

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
This discussion has been closed.