As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DC Comics Thread! Titans out this week!

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Mel Gibson has confirmed he is in talks to direct Suicide Squad 2

Pffffthahahshahahha

CYpGAPn.png
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Maybe the movie people will start going to people's houses and destroying their property

I'm waiting for someone to show up at my place and piss all over my Batman and Superman stuff

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    You know what
    Yes
    Fuck it
    Let's go full crazy

"YOU WANNA GET NUTS? C'MON! LET'S GET NUTS!"

Michael-Keaton-Batman-2.png

• kowikowi Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Pffffthahahshahahha

I can imagine to be in it but to direct it is taking it to whole another level. LOOOL

PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
  • hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    So I picked up the first issue of The Wild Storm, the Wildstorm Universe reboot by Warren Ellis. I'm intrigued enough to see where it might go.

Seems like a lot of general themes from the original Wildstorm comics are there without that 90s baggage; there were hardly any belt pouches in the first issue, and nobody was dressed in their underwear and battle posing.

I think it worked well as an issue to set up the series. Like you said, lots of themes and characters from the original universe are there, but you definitely don't need to be familiar with them already to know what's going on. And it's different enough from the old Wildstorm that it doesn't feel like a rehash of it. Jon Davis-Hunt's art style is also a big draw for me. It's simple and realistic, and he is fantastic when it comes to body horror, which I hope comes into play when we begin to see more of what IO is up to.

I also really enjoyed The Wild Storm, it's an excellent first issue that sets up all the necessary plot threads and shows why the universe is different from other superbooks

CYpGAPn.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    So I picked up the first issue of The Wild Storm, the Wildstorm Universe reboot by Warren Ellis. I'm intrigued enough to see where it might go.

Seems like a lot of general themes from the original Wildstorm comics are there without that 90s baggage; there were hardly any belt pouches in the first issue, and nobody was dressed in their underwear and battle posing.
    I am so excited about it. I haven't read that much OG WildStorm (basically everything The Authority, everything Planetary, and a little bit of WildC.A.T.S.), but I have a great love for it. I really like the understated start to this series; rather different from the bombast of, say, the original Authority. Very curious to see where this goes.

The art in the scene where Angie dons her costume really impressed me. In the old Authority, it always seemed like this magical, beautiful thing, which of course fit with the elevated reality of the series - oh, she replaced her blood with nanites, now she gets to look hot and fight crime. In this issue, putting on the costume is so tremendously visceral. It seems like putting it on is a sacrifice rather than a reward.

And, oh man, that first page. Blood spatter on (this) Zealot's face that looks like the paint that (the original) Zealot had on hers - and then as the first page progresses, she washes it off. Acknowledging the old and moving ahead into the new. Stuff like that just makes me giddy.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

Pffffthahahshahahha

He saw the film's initials and got really excited for a minute.

@Rorshach Kringle DC is making something just for you
    DC-Gordon-as-Azrael-Batman.jpg?auto=format&lossless=1&q=40&w=675&h=675&fit=crop
    An AZRAEL BATMAN Thomas the Train

CYpGAPn.png
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    OH MY GOD

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    What a bizarre choice

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    also mel gibson is a really fucking good action director so i don't get how him being in talks to direct a suicide squad sequel is a joke?

he ain't the first piece of shit in hollywood to have a nice resume.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

also mel gibson is a really fucking good action director so i don't get how him being in talks to direct a suicide squad sequel is a joke?

he ain't the first piece of shit in hollywood to have a nice resume.
    People are laughing because he is a horrible piece of shit and yet another potential PR nightmare for the increasing trainwreck that is the DCEU

CYpGAPn.png
  • masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    The joke is that somehow this outweighs him being a huge piece of shit

edited February 2017
    you mean the pr nightmare of best director oscar nominee, mel gibson, of best picture nominee, hacksaw ridge?

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

The DCEU being a key part of the Hollywood attempt to brush Mel Gibson's past under the rug in a career revival is just yet another piece of kindling on the fire.

It doesn't surprise me at all. Its very much a "of course they would do that" move

CYpGAPn.png
    you mean the pr nightmare of best director oscar nominee, mel gibson, of best picture nominee, hacksaw ridge?
    Yeah because there's all the chances in the world that he gets drunk again and decides to espouse his opinions on Jews

Oscar Nominated Director is a PR Boon

Publically Relapsed Anti-Semite is a PR Nightmare

And given that Gibson has doubled down on his statements in the past there is no real safe bet that he won't fuck up again, especially since now he knows he can get back into the limelight if he just waits a while

CYpGAPn.png
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    http://deadline.com/2014/03/mel-gibson-career-hollywood-deserves-chance-697084/

I don't know how much of this I actually believe, considering the bias is evident but there's this.

I dunno. He said and did some horrible stuff working in substance abuse I have a difficult time holding on to blame for the user. I get it that others don't feel the same way

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Hollywood still loves Woody Allen and Roman Polanski.

Mel Gibson coming out of this is hardly unlikely.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Hollywood can, and it appears they have, forgive and support him

Until he makes a public apology, I won't even consider it

Sweeney Tom on
    Turns out the Flash/Batman crossover was plotted by Geoff Johns himself.

Which makes this cover less surprising:
    5yBLRPa.jpg
    Sup, Thomas

CYpGAPn.png
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I still need to read flashpoint

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

No, you don't. You really don't.

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Turns out the Flash/Batman crossover was plotted by Geoff Johns himself.

Which makes this cover less surprising:
    5yBLRPa.jpg
    Sup, Thomas

spoilers Blank, god some of us havent read flash point!

SEE!!

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

There are some good Flashpoint minis but the main series is wholly skippable

Read the Batman mini for sure though

CYpGAPn.png
    DC has announced they are going to begin publishing a line of Looney Tunes books that will follow the model they established with the Hannah Barbara line.

Give me Mark Russell's Daffy Duck yesterday

CYpGAPn.png
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    DC has announced they are going to begin publishing a line of Looney Tunes books that will follow the model they established with the Hannah Barbara line.

Give me Mark Russell's Daffy Duck yesterday

oh my god
    Foghorn Leghorn is gonna be AMAZING

They are going to introduce the line via Crossover Specials (like they are doing with the Hannah Barbara line soon)

Which means these wonderful things are happening:
    DCLooneyTunes4.jpg
    DCLooneyTunes1.jpg
    DCLooneyTunes2.jpg
    DCLooneyTunes3.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
    Uhhh.

Color me intrigued.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    look at Foghorn Leghorn

CYpGAPn.png
    Listen I'm here for that Fudd.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I do not like that wile e coyote

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Yosemite Sam / Jonah Hex team up is something that I never knew I wanted.

Maximum on
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    look at Foghorn Leghorn

Oh, I didn't even notice - Wait, is he dressed as...

y0lv707hxlha.jpg

HOLY SHIT

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Dc is putting out adult Hannah Barbara comics that are great while marvel brought back a bad Ben reilly.
    What is this world
    Where are we

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    In a world with awesome new Ben Reilly comics, that's where.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    So I see that the first Future Quest tpb comes out next week, and the Flintstones at the end of March.

I haven't heard anything about Future Quest, but it's Jeff Parker so I'm willing to gamble.

Are there any other DC Hanna Barbera books coming out that are also getting rave reviews?

Also, what's good in the main DCU that is majority stand-alone?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Also, what's good in the main DCU that is majority stand-alone?

Midnighter / Midnighter and Apollo

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I am legit blown away by the detailed engraving on Marvin's lorica.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I love that Marvin cover because he's gonna be like 2 feet tall inside the comic and J'onn will just be like "what"

Make Marvin J'onn's Mxyzptlk / Batmite

This discussion has been closed.