As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wrestling] 2016 should have been two hours long

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    The WWE does not want the indies to die.

They wanted the territories and WCW to die.

The former is something they see as an asset, not an enemy.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    Not related to this ongoing conversation, but X-PAC was backstage at this week's SD, and had this to say:
    "I'm not sure what the finish was supposed to be for the match ... But I know this for a fact, that John Cena insisted on putting Bray Wyatt over again ... insisted on it. That's not just a rumor."

I still maintain Cena being booked like he has up till now was on WWE's end, not his.

Except for the Nexus thing which he regrets in hindsight.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited February 2017
    Schide wrote: »
    WWE's raiding of talent also reminds some people of the talent raiding of the 80s and what that did to the territories and what happened in that era and it doesn't sit well with them.

Possibly nobody around here, but I've definitely seen that in other places.

Oh, I've seen the comparison made here before.

It's a pretty bad comparison.

Maybe, but WWE's talent raid of 1983 and 84 is what propelled them to incredible heights of success and popularity so I highly doubt they're adverse to trying something similar.

But as a WWE fan, I don't want them to go back to the horror show of 2004 to 2009 developmental either.

wirehead26 on
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The Indies are basically talent farms for WWE, they have no interest in destroying them, but they will destroy anyone who tries to compete at WWE's level.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    Not related to this ongoing conversation, but X-PAC was backstage at this week's SD, and had this to say:
    "I'm not sure what the finish was supposed to be for the match ... But I know this for a fact, that John Cena insisted on putting Bray Wyatt over again ... insisted on it. That's not just a rumor."

Cena's always seemed like a good dude when he doesn't have to read scripts

The Indies are basically talent farms for WWE, they have no interest in destroying them, but they will destroy anyone who tries to compete at WWE's level.

They've basically done that with TNA considering they're now pushing guys like Roode, Young, Styles, and Joe so strongly now.

That wouldn't have happened 5 years ago.

Also see John Wick 2. For numerous other reasons, but wrestling-wise, Kozlov appears

Apparently he's also in Fate of the Furious!

• crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    fuckin

i love kozlov

EzUAYcn.png
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    WWE's raiding of talent also reminds some people of the talent raiding of the 80s and what that did to the territories and what happened in that era and it doesn't sit well with them.

Maybe, but WWE's talent raid of 1983 and 84 is what propelled them to incredible heights of success and popularity so I highly doubt they're adverse to trying something similar.

It's a different scenario though.

The other territories were real competition and represented a split in the market that Vince wanted to eliminate.

Their actions then led to the rise of their monopoly because it's what changed the business from a territorial one to a national one.

It was a calculated move to create their monopoly. To do away with the old system and introduce a new one, with them in charge.

Today, we aren't in the same boat. The WWE still has their national presence. They still have their monopoly, and they took out the only threat that rose up to challenge that: WCW. The indies aren't a threat. They aren't competition. They aren't in the way. The WWE doesn't benefit from destroying them. In fact, the WWE benefits from their existence.

TNA is the closest anything came to competition, and I laugh a little to myself even typing that. If the WWW didn't give a shit about taking them down, they're not going to give a shit about taking down ROH or Chikara.

Honestly, we may never see a real threat to the WWE again, unless something drastic happens. Their actions in the past have made them nearly too big to fail, now.

edited February 2017
    Honestly, we may never see a real threat to the WWE again, unless something drastic happens. Their actions in the past have made them nearly too big to fail, now.

For a new company to compete with WWE they'd have to spend tens of millions of dollars. Maybe even hundreds.

Sinclair and Anthem aren't going to do that.

wirehead26 on
    Nicole Bass passed away

Nicole Bass passed away

Aww

• hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    First issue of Aw Yeah Comics Team-Up! came out last week. It's written by Christopher Daniels and is the sequel to Christopher Daniels & Kazarian Wrestle Aw Yeah Comics! The plot of the first issue involves Daniels drinking an evil-appletini and being transported to the Aw Yeah Comics universe, where he proceeds to rob banks.

Seriously.
    83zbgym.png

You can tell he's gone evil because he's wearing his Legion of Boom gear.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • never dienever die Registered User regular

It's a different scenario though.

The other territories were real competition and represented a split in the market that Vince wanted to eliminate.

Their actions then led to the rise of their monopoly because it's what changed the business from a territorial one to a national one.

It was a calculated move to create their monopoly. To do away with the old system and introduce a new one, with them in charge.

Today, we aren't in the same boat. The WWE still has their national presence. They still have their monopoly, and they took out the only threat that rose up to challenge that: WCW. The indies aren't a threat. They aren't competition. They aren't in the way. The WWE doesn't benefit from destroying them. In fact, the WWE benefits from their existence.

TNA is the closest anything came to competition, and I laugh a little to myself even typing that. If the WWW didn't give a shit about taking them down, they're not going to give a shit about taking down ROH or Chikara.

As well, it wasn't like the other territories weren't starting to test the waters of fucking with each other, with the advent of cable television. Georgia Champion Wrestling was the first to get national cable access, and the other territories were not happy about it, as they suddenly had competition. The era of territories was essentially a group of different fiefdoms where competition was not respected nor fostered. They didn't really have to deal with competition, as you only got your area's wrestling shows, except maybe in the edges of territories. For most of them, if they had gotten the chance to do what WWE did, they would have. In fact, a lot of WCW's founding was in them absorbing groups like Georgia Champion Wreslting, Jim Crockett Promotions, Mid-South Wrestling, etc.

First Janela books Riddle/Severn

Now

C41ZRYZWQAIF5fp.jpg

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I mean, if Brandi is serious about being a wrestler, Joey's a pretty good opponent to get you started. Plus I'm pretty sure he has a feud going with Cody in a few promotions.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Nicole Bass passed away.

Newer fans probably don't know her, but she was in ECW and WWE in the late 90s.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    My wrestling novella is out today!

This thread is mentioned in the acknowledgment section.

noir_blood on
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    First Janela books Riddle/Severn

Now

C41ZRYZWQAIF5fp.jpg

oh my goodness

EzUAYcn.png
    Nicole Bass passed away.

Newer fans probably don't know her, but she was in ECW and WWE in the late 90s.

Clarifying the news that she hasn't died yet but is brain dead and will be taken off life support today.

Oh man, George Steele apparently didn't make it either

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8NLjgzCxjWw

RIP

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    79 years is a good life. 79 exceedingly hairy years.

Nicole Bass is a bummer. Sounded like a real great lady in real life.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    My wrestling novella is out today!

Congratulations!
    noir_blood wrote: »
    This thread is mentioned in the acknowledgment section.

I'm sorry.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Cena has been removed from all Post Mania advertising and is rumored to not be back till Survivor Series

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Cena has been removed from all Post Mania advertising and is rumored to not be back till Survivor Series

If that's true I wish Cena and Styles were going at it one more time at Mania. Cena and Nikki vs Miz and Maryse should be fun, and AJ vs Shane will be hopefully a fun garbage brawl, but man I think Styles needs to beat Cena again on that big a stage.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    so Cena is proposing in the ring after their victory

Xehalus wrote: »
    so Cena is proposing in the ring after their victory

I can't wait for the shitheels in the crowd to boo it.

So I'd like to see Cena get his 17th title in early 2018 and lose it to, hmm, let's say Samoa Joe at Mania 34 and it'd be his last title reign.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    If Cena and Styles have one last go at Mania, I want it to be a Last Man Standing or an Ironman match. Just a big showcase of them beating the tar out of each other.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    If Cena and Styles have one last go at Mania, I want it to be a Last Man Standing or an Ironman match. Just a big showcase of them beating the tar out of each other.

Hmm, maybe they could do that on the SDL after Mania.

• ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Blankzilla wrote: »

If that's true I wish Cena and Styles were going at it one more time at Mania. Cena and Nikki vs Miz and Maryse should be fun, and AJ vs Shane will be hopefully a fun garbage brawl, but man I think Styles needs to beat Cena again on that big a stage.

Considering how Niiki vs Natie ended at Elimination chamber I don' t think that Cena/Nikki Vs Miz/Maryse is happening unless the match next week is the end of it. Personally I would have liked to see them save it for WM and have Nikki and Cena in seperate matches. I think that would make for a better show.

They could still do the proposal. One comes out at the end of the other's match to congratulate them and then boom, proposal.

Artoria on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I just read George "The Animal" Steele died

I honestly hope that Cena and Nikki don't do any kind of proposal in the ring.

Mainly because wrestling fans will be shitheads and a bunch of them will boo it to be "edgy".

I do not think it will be fondly remembered moment by either Nikki or John if they choose to do it.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    Anyone want to watch Chikara National Pro Wrestling Day 2017 with me tonight at around 8? I was a day late cancelling my subscription so I might as well enjoy it till the end of the month.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I just read George "The Animal" Steele died

Eating turnbuckles in heaven.

Question for the thread:

I haven't played a WWE video game since the 2013 iteration. Have any of them been good since then? I kind of stopped paying attention to them because I'd grown bored of the whole thing.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Question for the thread:

I haven't played a WWE video game since the 2013 iteration. Have any of them been good since then? I kind of stopped paying attention to them because I'd grown bored of the whole thing.

Not even a little bit.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
This discussion has been closed.