As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] POST IN THE NEW THREAD!

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    JonBob wrote: »

Glass Road remains my favorite Euro. It's just so good. I probably should bump its rating even further up. Too bad it's not more popular; probably will never see an expansion.

Do you think it really needs one tho?

Needs? Certainly not. The game already has a huge amount of replayability.

But I think there is design space for one. Probably not additional role cards, because that would reduce the chances of matches, but perhaps new role cards that can swap out for existing ones (a la Citadels). And even further building variety, of course.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    The Dresden Files Co-op Card Game is up for pre-order.

I'm pretty excited about the copy I have coming. My wife isn't really into a lot of the themes of the various games we have like this, which makes them hard to sell at boardgame nights with her in the corner essentially rolling her eyes. But she loves the Dresden Files.

I was excited for the DF game, and pitched in a buck to comment/get updates directly, but couldn't justify backing. They said straight up that there wouldn't be a discount (to avoid pissing off retailers or something), so paying full MSRP plus shipping plus currency conversion on both added up really quickly.

Might pick up the core box when it hits one of the cheaper stores in town and see if I actually enjoy it before diving into the expansions.

That said, I'm not sure about exclusives. Wasn't there a crossover deck for another game as well? Plus the main page talks about some exclusive cards that change the character decks, but I'm unsure if those are just alt arts or not (the text on the campaign page implies mechanical adjustments).

Guess time will tell. At least I'll be able to wait for some people to have the final product in hand to see what the response is, maybe check out a few finished product gameplay/how to play videos.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

Looks like that comes with the Harry and Susan promos as well.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Mint Works and Organ Attack both showed up for me recently. My wife seems to be up for both, which is good since I don't have a game night planned for at least another week.

Oh, and Anachrony is out for delivery today according to UPS. That one will have to wait for having friends over, but I'll pore over it in the meantime.

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    We had another Gloomhaven run last night and fell into line by getting stomped in the second room but we forgot losing a card to cancel a hit. So second run in there we made it all the way, but only just.

What's you're opinion of the game so far? I'm debating if I should keep my copy around after seeing it sell for 300$+ on eBay.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Ketar wrote: »
    Oh, and Anachrony is out for delivery today according to UPS. That one will have to wait for having friends over, but I'll pore over it in the meantime.

I got my tracking number 8 days ago and again 2 days ago and the dang thing still hasn't even been picked up.
    We had another Gloomhaven run last night and fell into line by getting stomped in the second room but we forgot losing a card to cancel a hit. So second run in there we made it all the way, but only just.

What's you're opinion of the game so far? I'm debating if I should keep my copy around after seeing it sell for 300$+ on eBay.

It's good but I'm not in super love with it. It's got some new ways of doing old things but in the end it's still old things. Each scenario is more like a puzzle than a dungeon crawl which is neat. The legacy aspect adds nothing to the game but I never thought it would. If you wait another month or 2 you'll easily get double; all the online places were horrifically over promised games and everyone's been really shorted.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    God damn, Anachrony is heavy. Need to head out to host trivia, will have to check it out when I get home. Box looks cool.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Man anachrony looked so cool. Hopefully it's as fun as it looked. I forget why I didn't back it back when it was on Kickstarter, but I definitely want to play that.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    How does Terra Mystica play with 2? Or 4?

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

Also curious about this. Think I heard if you start nearer to each other on the map it's better?

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    So Asmodee has several new games on sale for IOS and Android including colt express, so I decided to take a look. Unfortunately, there is no local multiplayer! That just kills the games for me. I play board games as a social experience and get them on my tablet for portability. No sale here, unfortunately. Do any of you play solo?

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    psyck0 wrote: »
    So Asmodee has several new games on sale for IOS and Android including colt express, so I decided to take a look. Unfortunately, there is no local multiplayer! That just kills the games for me. I play board games as a social experience and get them on my tablet for portability. No sale here, unfortunately. Do any of you play solo?

There is no pass and play?

My son and I play Splendor against each other on my phone quite a bit.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options

Also curious about this. Think I heard if you start nearer to each other on the map it's better?

I've had no problem with any player count. Starting near someone else has advantages just like starting far away. When I play 2 player I try to have one village near and one far

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    My Anachrony is out for delivery as of 6am!

Took a somewhat unusual route to get here though. OR -> ID -> UT -> CO -> TX -> MS -> AL -> SC -> NC? Those penultimate two or three steps feel inefficient. Does FedEx dominate TN so much that UPS can't even go there and they have to swing around south?

• Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular

Obviously plays very well with 4. It's ok with 2 but there are tricks to make it more interesting like cutting a portion of the board off to create more proximity and placing some dummy player cubes on the cult track to make it more interesting. changes that are all very simple although I'm yet to try them myself. There are posts on BGG about how to do these small changes with pictures.

Some say it plays ok without these changes with 2 but I'd be incline to try the 2 player variant mentioned above. One of the thing that makes terra mystica great is the duality if trying to be close to your opponent to get some benefits but not too close to get cut off.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Took a somewhat unusual route to get here though. OR -> ID -> UT -> CO -> TX -> MS -> AL -> SC -> NC? Those penultimate two or three steps feel inefficient. Does FedEx dominate TN so much that UPS can't even go there and they have to swing around south?

mine still hasn't moved also I hate you

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

They keep sending my goodies to CT then back to NY, but that actually does make a certain amount of sense if the New England distro center is in CT or similar.

You're probably looking at a get-around-mountains plan, maybe via water, with that route.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

They keep sending my goodies to CT then back to NY, but that actually does make a certain amount of sense if the New England distro center is in CT or similar.

You're probably looking at a get-around-mountains plan, maybe via water, with that route.

Aha, mountain avoidance does make sense given that it takes approximately a full day for each hop.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

Aha, mountain avoidance does make sense given that it takes approximately a full day for each hop.

Yeah, I've driven some of that when I was living in Atlanta, and when we did ATL to New Orleans it was a heck of a lot simpler to do the go-south part first as far as routing.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Guibs wrote: »

Obviously plays very well with 4. It's ok with 2 but there are tricks to make it more interesting like cutting a portion of the board off to create more proximity and placing some dummy player cubes on the cult track to make it more interesting. changes that are all very simple although I'm yet to try them myself. There are posts on BGG about how to do these small changes with pictures.

Some say it plays ok without these changes with 2 but I'd be incline to try the 2 player variant mentioned above. One of the thing that makes terra mystica great is the duality if trying to be close to your opponent to get some benefits but not too close to get cut off.

Cutting off parts of the map can mess with faction balance. Putting dummy players in the cult track is solid though. I wouldn't buy the game as a solely 2p game, but it's fun 2p. I'm looking forward to seeing the changes in the new space version specifically for 2p. The modular board presumably solves that particular issue, and I'm hoping for a few other tweaks.

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    The only 2 player variant I kinda feel might be a good idea is adding neutral faction markers to the cult track. In the 2 player games I've played, the cult track is often a wash as you just get your requisite space 1 on two tracks, and slightly-more-than-the-other-player on the other two.

That said, I've still enjoyed playing at a two player game with the rules as written.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

I'm parting with my copy because we don't enjoy it 2 player, we have no 3rd/4th to join, and I dont really like the variants either (I thought for sure adjusting the map would help but Pook's right, it seemed to create as many problems as it fixed). The one time we played with 3 it was great though. Agreed with Pook, if only 2 will ever play then you're probably better off passing on it.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Would there be interest in an "Arkham Horror Files" thread, to discuss the various products FFG puts out?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    My 7 y.o. is officially a shark at Love Letter. And I was really trying.

That is all.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    My 7 y.o. is officially a shark at Love Letter. And I was really trying.

That is all.

Upgrade her to Lost Legacy! EDIT - Actually some of the cards have blood, so nevermind.

I have my fresh copy of Skull. The store recommended I just take it to Kinkos to get laminated. I still have the fucked copy and I'm going to experiment with acrylic spray while resting the cards on waxpaper to see how it turns out.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    IT HAS ARRIVED.
    Pictured here: the last time the Leader Sleeve fit on the box comfortably.
    C40JaqIWYAIBSjF.jpg

Got curious, put the box next to Scythe's for reference. (The other two dimensions are essentially identical.)
    C40JbaPXAAAfF3z.jpg

Seriously, though, there's too much stuff to fit back in the box after you've taken care of all the cardboard chits. Even taking out the French/German Rules, the redundant parts (cardboard replaced by plastic), and the art/story book it's still a very tight fit. Could shave an expansion or two in order to make more room I guess?

Got a game in tonight. Finished 2nd (47/40/30/30) but one of the other guys correctly ended it a round early to prevent more points from being scored since he didn't realize the importance of Buildings (and the worker placement opportunities they usually provide) until it was too late. Took longer than advertised but I'm sure most of the extra time was rules.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Looks so amazing. Everyone enjoy it? Particularly rough spots with the rules?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    How does Monikers hold up? My family played Articulate recently, which was fairly fun and I'm wondering if a similar game would be more fun (Articulate is bit serious and triva based). The trouble is that unknown cards in Articulate fall really flat. Especially the "people" category, which mostly gets "who?" reactions. It brings the game to a grinding halt.

I'm sure Monikers is fun with certain kinds of people. But would it work playing it with people who don't know what memes are? Or would they just stare blankly at the cards and then give up? And, while it isn't quite CaH, I'm sure cards like Tubgirl would need to be removed for family play, are those cards common?

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    The nice part about monikers is that everyone looks at like 8 cards each and keeps 5. If they don't like or know a card it's easy to skip. Even if there are others they don't know, there's plenty of text to read to give players good hints, and on top of that, you use the same cards each round, so you don't have to know the actual person if you can figure out the card thanks to clues from the current and previous rounds.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Also, even if you have *no* idea what a card is, the game is structured so that some sort of system/sound/gesture will evolve to describe it.

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    How does Monikers hold up? My family played Articulate recently, which was fairly fun and I'm wondering if a similar game would be more fun (Articulate is bit serious and triva based). The trouble is that unknown cards in Articulate fall really flat. Especially the "people" category, which mostly gets "who?" reactions. It brings the game to a grinding halt.

I'm sure Monikers is fun with certain kinds of people. But would it work playing it with people who don't know what memes are? Or would they just stare blankly at the cards and then give up? And, while it isn't quite CaH, I'm sure cards like Tubgirl would need to be removed for family play, are those cards common?

I played monikers at a work retreat with a lot of 20-35 year olds who don't play games.

We played it for 4 hours straight.

It is amazing.

Then played it with my in-laws family and were played for 2 hours. 10000% worth buying. The second expansion is a lot of meme shit that even I don't know, but the first is decent too.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    And now my copy of Fugitive is getting ready to ship soon. What a glorious year for games already.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Cool. I guess I'll give a it a go then.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Yeah, and if you have a diverse group, you can hand out 10 and pick 5, to give them more options to make sure they know some of the cards.
    There will be some annoying cards that someone picked that no one knows, but usually it'll turn into something people laugh at by round 3. They've got a pretty good mix of common knowledge and recent Internet memes. Some of the funniest moments are the silly titles, for example, Alex Trebek with a mustache, and Alex Trebek without a mustache. One game we actually had both in the play deck, and it made for some hilarious charades and one word clues.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Monikers is excellent (as is Time's Up), but we still play vanilla Celebrities (the game they are both based on) much more often. Just begin with everyone writing down a bunch of names on slips of paper and tossing them into a bowl, and then proceed as in the other games. Downside: you miss some of the fun flavor text and offbeat cards. Upside: the game is exactly tailored to the knowledge of your group, and things like multiple people submitting the same name actually add to the fun. The fact that it's free doesn't hurt, either.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    And now my copy of Fugitive is getting ready to ship soon. What a glorious year for games already.

To be fair Fugitive was originally supposed to ship in November.

ArcSyn wrote: »
    Looks so amazing. Everyone enjoy it? Particularly rough spots with the rules?

The main drag was having to look up everything in the Appendix, as some of the symbology isn't immediately apparent, especially on the endgame scoring cards, superprojects, and the more unique buildings. There was also some momentary confusion over if you could use one of your power plants to fix a warp token in the current era (you can't; you have to go to a past era). Other than that I think it was mostly straight-forward and the only snags were strategic.

I think everyone enjoyed it but it's hard to tell when two players are clearly having strategy issues. Once everyone is on the same page I don't think there will be a 17-point gap between first and third/fourth.

On a component note, the plastic cubes for titanium/uranium/gold could have been a bit more opaque/darker. Titanium and uranium ones can be especially hard to distinguish.

The exosuit figures are awesome, though.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    mine still hasn't even moved

12 days with a tracking number!

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular

Same. It's probably karma for something.

• Options
    iguanacus wrote: »

Same. It's probably karma for something.

oh come on I barely killed those people