As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PODCAST thread: it's like Taco Bell on your wedding day.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    people who do the sportsball/handegg thing are on the same level as a person who would walk in on someone playing a game and be all "oh are you winning the pokeman levels in the world of warcraft"

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    i.e. bottom tier

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I am an ohioan

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    even when i have watched sports i have a hard time really like, rooting for a team

i just like watching big plays happen

yeah, that's probably a healthier way to go about it anyways

I know I don't really watch full games of most sports, or if I do it's largely on in the background, but like...sometimes it is just fun to see people do ridiculous shit that would probably kill me if I even made at attempt at replicating them

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    people who do the sportsball/handegg thing are on the same level as a person who would walk in on someone playing a game and be all "oh are you winning the pokeman levels in the world of warcraft"

I never pretended to be funny or original FARG.

I'm not exactly a comedian eh? I'm on that Lawrence the cable company contractor level.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i like handegg when it's a joke about being an old man, as opposed to being young and out of touch

it's a good grandpa simpson joke

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    here are some reasons to root for a sports team:
    • Geography
    • Your family roots for the team
    • Your family roots against the team and you want to annoy them
    • Your friends root for the team
    • You like their uniforms/logo/etc
    • You like at least one player on the team
    • They're really good and you're a front-running asshole
    • They're bad and you're stupid enough to think rooting for the underdog is noble
    • The team might do something historic and that's cool
    • You turned the tv on and you were like "oh this team seems cool"
    • This is the only team you can regularly watch play games
    • They beat a team that your fifth grade teacher tried to make her entire class root for and you were a little shit
    • Stupidity

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    The last bullet point is pretty much my raison d'être Geebs. Which team should I root for?

• Options
    please subscribe to my new podcast, "let me tell you about baseball"

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    The last bullet point is pretty much my raison d'être Geebs. Which team should I root for?

okay so: if you want stupidity, without any real, actual malice, you want the Cleveland Browns, who are fucking terrible and constantly make the worst choice that they can make at any given moment, which somehow infects every single person that ever steps foot in the organization. their stupidity is consistent, reliable, and seemingly never-ending

if you want to root for a team that makes you feel stupid, you want to root for the Atlanta Falcons, who are currently the best team in the NFL at finding incredibly stupid ways to lose at the worst possible time, including probably the worst Super Bowl lost in the history of the Super Bowl

that's the NFL, if you were looking for like, dumb MLB teams to root for, it's tougher. I would have said the White Sox last year, but I don't know if they can top "player quits because the team won't let his kid sit around the clubhouse and then the rest of the team acted like they killed someone and one of the pitchers even put up a shrine to the kid in the locker room" and "pitcher is mad about the uniform he had to wear so he snuck into the clubhouse and shredded them all with a pair of scissors so he didn't have to wear them"

in the NHL the dumbest team to root for is the Avalanche, who hired a man who stuck his hand in a running snowblower to be in charge of making hockey decisions

• Options
    root for the tigers, because my cousin plays for them!

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    If you want to be a nerd you could root for the mariners for the sole reason of them being partially owned by nintendo

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    If you want to be a nerd you could root for the mariners for the sole reason of them being partially owned by nintendo

nintendo sold the vast majority of their stake in the mariners last year

• Options

nintendo sold the vast majority of their stake in the mariners last year

They still got 10% and a 3ds app that lets you order beer and hot dogs

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I "root" for the Cowboys, as in I sorta keep track on how they're doing but never actually watch a game. I used to be more into football a couple years ago, but once friends stopped coming over to my place to watch games I really lost interest. The only game I watched last season was the Superb Owl, like a lot of people.

There was one time I had an asthma attack right after the super bowl when I was a little kid so that was fun. I was feeling worse and worse as the game went on, and like 5 minutes after I had to go to the hospital.
    At least it had the courtesy to wait until the Cowboys won before making me almost die!

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I don't know of this hand egg thing.
    Soccer is a fun game though

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Sports highlights are dope. I mean, any example of crazy human athleticism is pretty neat, imo.

And of course its fun to get together and watch any sporting event with your mates because you are getting together with your mates and there is likely booze involved.

But personally it I am on my own I am going to throw on some kinda e-sport or board or miniature game tournament over a traditional sport every time. That's just where my personal interests are. And since I know them better I can pay less attention to them and do something like build models at the same time without getting totally lost.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Wait is a hand egg relayed to this superb owl? I think I'm getting an idea here

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I mean, all owls are superb.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

let me tell you about Georgia-based sports teams, such as the Atlanta Falcons, and how Stupidity enters the venn diagram like a knife for me on all counts

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    every year I watch and enjoy the super bowl and think man I should get into football but then I just don't

part of it is I don't know what team to follow cause it sure as fuck ain't gonna be the cincinnati bengals

I go through this every four years with soccer and the World Cup

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I grew up with the rest of my whole family completely obsessed with sports while I just genuinely do not care. One of my brothers is always watching some kind of sport. Last time he visisted I went to ask him something and he was watching basketball on his phone and soccer on his laptop while the TV was on the AFL.

So now I hate sports, because I really don't care at all and it's all I ever heard about it growing up and whenever my family gets together. It's not that it's bad, I just don't care but have had to deal with it being The Most Important Thing for a long time.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    For a while I kinda actively loathed football because one of my college professors would spend entire classes going on and on about the Steelers with a bunch of the students every time they had a game, win or lose.

It's like, motherfucker this shit is expensive, can we maybe learn a thing?

Now I'm back to just not being interested. I tried to keep up with football for a while for fitting in at work purposes, but I just couldn't do it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

I think it's funny to intentionally go "are you winning?" when you full well know it's not an appropriate question.

So yeah, can confirm.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I didn't grow up with parents or siblings or even friends who were into sports, so it just wasn't a Thing for me. As an adult, I really like going to baseball games, so I adopted the Orioles since I was born in Maryland and I normally drive up to Baltimore once a season to catch a game. Baseball is also great background tv noise.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I only root for sports anime teams

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I enjoyed high school sports because it being my classmates playing made me feel a personal connection to the team. Also if we did well enough we might make it to the season championship and get a day off school.

Outside of high school I've never been able to care one lick about any given team so if I happen to be watching I just root for whoever's behind because I want to see them make an amazing comeback. Those are always exciting.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    anime sportsball, huh? is your goku beating the gundam

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I would tease people for hating sports because other people won't shut up about it but that's why I hate nightmare before Christmas so I got no room

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular

I'd definitely watch that.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

It depends on where Goku is in his timeline. See there's these Power Levels, and

• Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    There's no rule that says a giant robot can't play sportsball.*

*There definitely is a rule that says that

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I would tease people for hating sports because other people won't shut up about it but that's why I hate nightmare before Christmas so I got no room

Nightmare Before Christmas should have been young Chincy's whole aesthetic though!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Sports anime is a goofy but usually pretty earnest subgenre

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Off the top of my head I can think of IGPX and Shippu Iron Leaguer for mecha sports anime

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Basquash.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    IGPX is a weird one in that Production IG made it for the American market, which is a super rare thng in the anime world - basically limited to them (they're also doing the Flcl sequel for some reason even though everyone from that OVA who matters is over at Trigger) and Sunrise with Big O season 2 plus sorta Samurai Champloo (which was a thing in Japan too but only as much as Cowboy Bebop was, which is to say, not much), or Gonzo with Afro Samurai

This discussion has been closed.