As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

LIVE. WORK. REPEAT.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    bought a load of smart casual clothes (chinos, slacks, polo shirts and cardigans with a pair of boat shoes) for my first day at work

8am on monday

it's happening

Beasteh on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    So, we're getting a new punch card system. It uses a tablet.

My boss was droning on and on during the meeting. My boss went "oh and I want to dock people $15 when they fail to punch in, we have to teach them a lesson" and I looked immediately at the guy doing the presentation like a deer in headlights. He looked back at me with the same look.

The office manager said nothing. So looks like I'm going to have to, on the down low, mention it in passing to people to watch their paychecks closely for being docked $15. That's, essentially, 2ish hours of minimum wage work for some people.

You can't just dock people's pay, boss. That's not how you go about correcting problem behavior just because you ignored it and no one wants to enforce policy. That's how you get people who quit because you're a douche bag.

Jesus christ-a-roni.

Incredibly illegal. Especially for minimum wage workers which will push them below that requirement.

For NY if you round you have to round consistently so that if 2 minutes late equals docked pay then 2 minutes early equals overtime.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    bought a load of smart casual clothes (chinos, slacks, polo shirts and cardigans with a pair of boat shoes) for my first day at work

8am on monday

it's happening

Chinos are a rookie mistake. Your first day, you want to be naked in the air ducts. Prey on their fear. Move like an animal. Feel the kill.

(Congrats and good luck!)

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

My boss was droning on and on during the meeting. My boss went "oh and I want to dock people $15 when they fail to punch in, we have to teach them a lesson" and I looked immediately at the guy doing the presentation like a deer in headlights. He looked back at me with the same look.

The office manager said nothing. So looks like I'm going to have to, on the down low, mention it in passing to people to watch their paychecks closely for being docked $15. That's, essentially, 2ish hours of minimum wage work for some people.

You can't just dock people's pay, boss. That's not how you go about correcting problem behavior just because you ignored it and no one wants to enforce policy. That's how you get people who quit because you're a douche bag.

Jesus christ-a-roni.

Incredibly illegal. Especially for minimum wage workers which will push them below that requirement.

For NY if you round you have to round consistently so that if 2 minutes late equals docked pay then 2 minutes early equals overtime.

Yeah he wants it set up so if they're early it only tracks time from when they clock in, so if it's 7:57 they don't get paid until 8:00. But if it's 8:03 they get docked for time. I think this is technically legal, since they don't use any sort of rounding system at all. But they want to be warned when a person doesn't clock out for OT, so they can deny it, so I've also got to warn people that if they're doing work for OT they might get denied and fucked over.

They also have to log in from their computers because he doesn't want to pay the $20 a month for the kiosk version, and I hate that kind of time card set up. Easier to just punch in a pin and click in.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    What a douche.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Dear God, these training videos could drop an insomniac on a meth binge into an eternal slumber.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Hey git, fuck you.
    Fucking losing all the work from yesterday.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    So I essentially have the job. It's tenure track lab tech. They still have to fill out a lot of paperwork, and I won't get the official offer until the end of the month. But they wanted to make sure the salary was OK, because once the offer is official, they'd have to redo the whole 4 month process of I turned it down. Not much more pay salary- wise, but so many more benefits otherwise.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I regularly run a couple of minutes late in the morning but I'm always staying late to make up for it. Rarely do we ever close exactly on time so we all punch out 5-10 minutes after the official close time. No it's not exactly ideal (running late is pretty much a genetic thing in my family) but I'm still getting my 8 hours a day even if it's not perfectly 8:30-5. I'm lucky that my employer is super casual about pretty much everything, so something like this might not work anywhere else.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I have my 1 on 1 today - it's the first one I've had for a very long time. I'm currently in a state of debate about how much I want to tell my team leader about the attitudes around me. I'd really like to put it on her and ask "how do you think the atmosphere is at the moment" - but I don't want it to come across asshole-y. On the plus side had a meeting with one of my fleets that went so well their account rep emailed me afterwards to tell me how well I control phone calls.

Next week is awesome though - Monday off, Wednesday work from home and leave early for a massage appointment, Friday off. Unless shit really hits the fan Tuesday when I'm the bosses' coverage, it should be a wonderful week.

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    We have 20 plus substitute teachers today. Most of them have never dealt with teenagers. On a friday before a three day weekend.

God/Odin/Zeus/Ahura Mazda help me.

oh h*ck
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    My boss works like 7-6 while I'm usually like 9:15-5, but our org has a big thing on flexible time and as long as the work gets done and you're around for the core hours meetings happen nobody particularly cares when you show up or leave. Of course it's a bit different because it's a salaried position, but that was still a relief to find out workplace-etiquette wise because I'm bad at going to bed early and like sleep.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Jesus christ-a-roni.

Yeah he wants it set up so if they're early it only tracks time from when they clock in, so if it's 7:57 they don't get paid until 8:00. But if it's 8:03 they get docked for time. I think this is technically legal, since they don't use any sort of rounding system at all. But they want to be warned when a person doesn't clock out for OT, so they can deny it, so I've also got to warn people that if they're doing work for OT they might get denied and fucked over.

They also have to log in from their computers because he doesn't want to pay the $20 a month for the kiosk version, and I hate that kind of time card set up. Easier to just punch in a pin and click in.

This is almost amazingly illegal. Like holy fucking shit.

I would just sit down and ask him why. Why do this? What do you hope to accomplish? What's the logical conclusion here?

And then take all of the notes from that meeting straight to legal.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac

Jesus christ-a-roni.

Nah, rounding in NY has to be just as likely to benefit the employee as hurt the employee or else it's a violation. What you're saying isn't not using rounding, it's not paying employees for all their clocked time. Even then I bet they round to at least the minute unless they're noting hours worked down to the second.

I looked this shit up because our time clock at work is stupid and loses time. They correct it while employees are on the clock which means we engage in wage theft. I'm at least trying to get the new HR guy to correct it weekly so it doesn't get up to like 6 or 7 minutes which is just amazingly obvious and fucks over a bunch of people.

• HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Was Chipotle the place that had an automatic system that punched people out at their scheduled times, despite the fact many people were, essentially, required to stay late to clean up and such? So people were losing hours and hours of OT?

vEaRQgH.png
    edited February 2017
    Yeah it used to be "as long as you're not like 45 minutes late it's okay"

but now people are abusing it

So of course, instead of addressing the problem, the passive aggressive one-size-fits-all solution and punishing your good employees is how you deal with it because you're a chicken shit. Heaven forbid you actually sit down and talk to the problem people and go "listen we can't have you keep doing this" no, let's just steal from people, clearly that's a smart decision.

My boss' problem is he just blurts out whatever is in his mind. So when he gets frustrated he starts blurting out stupid shit that he can think of as "what would I do if I could do it" situation. He needs to temper that with restraint and actual common sense. But he just corners people and shits his brain soup right out onto the table.

He did the same thing when we were ordering blood pressure cuffs from a company, he went on a 30 minute tangent on this poor equipment set up guy who was training them on how it works. He rattled off how he hated the contract and how they were nickle and dimeing him and etc etc etc. As if the tech guy could address those problems for him.

Just shitting that god damned brain soup erry day.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Yeah it used to be "as long as you're not like 45 minutes late it's okay"

but now people are abusing it

So of course, instead of addressing the problem, the passive aggressive one-size-fits-all solution and punishing your good employees is how you deal with it because you're a chicken shit. Heaven forbid you actually sit down and talk to the problem people and go "listen we can't have you keep doing this" no, let's just steal from people, clearly that's a smart decision.

Yeah, I had to make this point to our HR folks. You can't dock pay for them being a minute late (unless you pay for being a minute early). This doesn't mean you can't punish them for it. Being late is still something you can fire folks over it just requires actual management effort to correct. Stop being fucking lazy and do your job! By all means use the payroll system to generate a report and talk to people about it. That might actually work and ISN'T silly illegal.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Jesus christ-a-roni.

The only job I ever had that did this (which incidentally was the highest turnover job I ever had) did it in 7 minute increments. However, you were written up if you got more than 14 minutes of OT in a paycheck, but of course you weren't in trouble if you forgot to clock in regularly. It works out in their favor to do it that way. You're scared to clock in early, but forgetful people will give up pay.

And that's why they had high turnover, because they were dicks.

What is this I don't even.
    Like it's super easy to be a good employer.

First and foremost, don't nickle and dime people who are living off quarters. And if nickle and dimes are costing you a lot of money, address the root of the problem, don't put a band aid on it.

You'd think, of all the people, that a doctor would understand this.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    We've got a time clock at my library, but we round to the nearest 15 minutes. So if you show up at 9:06, you are 100% on time, and nobody is going to give you shit for it.

I'm salaried, so my timesheet is more or less arbitrary, but I appreciate the wiggle room for my hourly employees.

Except the ones who try and clock out for lunch at 12:08 and complain that they got stiffed 15 minutes on their lunch break. This is the easiest system in the world to game, be less dumb.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

First and foremost, don't nickle and dime people who are living off quarters. And if nickle and dimes are costing you a lot of money, address the root of the problem, don't put a band aid on it.

Well, like you said, a good manager isn't afraid to be like, "Hey, Sally. I love the work you're doing. However, I notice you regularly come in at 9:15, when your start time is 9:00. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but that's a rule for me. Please make sure to be in by 9. I'm going to start writing people up for being late."

And... that's fuckin' it. Set expectations, be reasonable, and manage to expectations.

What is this I don't even.
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

Nickle and Diming bosses are the WORST.

My bosses are notorious for getting mad at people for sending a text message while clocked in, but they have no problem goosing the time clock to avoid overtime.

And when everyone in the company can see the amount of sales the company is doing every day, and it's very healthy for a company our size, it gets real tiring.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Yeah I've seen rounding to the second and rounding to the quarter-hour, and everything in between.

Quarter hour was interesting because "8 is late" became the sort of de facto policy. So folks would clock in a few minutes early to a few minutes late, but be at their desk ready to rock by 10 after almost universally. This also worked because the early birds would just clock in and get all the water cooler chat out of the way early.

I abused the hell out of, clocked out ~7 minutes early almost every day. Clock in ~7 minutes early too! But then I'd just sit at my computer and check email (read: the forums), while that early clock out meant heading to my car.

At my current job it was about day 3 before I realized they didn't even have time clocks, you just come to work, work, and go home. It's...fucking amazing (it's also 100% salary personnel but yeah).

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    I'm salary but it's annoying because they make me clock in and out so "I don't abuse it" and "it's fair to everyone if you do." The office managers don't clock in though. I should make a stink about this, and see what their defense is about that.

I imagine the conversation will go like:
    "Hey (office manager), I'd like to run something by you, do you have time?"
    "sure, what is it?"
    "I was wondering if we could nix me signing in with the time clock since I'm salary, you guys already handle the days off and all that, and it's just annoying and wasteful, and in the 10 years I've been here I haven't abused it too much."

The salary employees all come in at 8:30 but all of us stay until 5:30 or 6 instead of just 5. If I was absconding with 30 minutes every day, okay sure, that's a reason to make sure I'm not taking advantage of it. I almost kind of want to hear what their defense of that would be. Because I can make their life a living hell if they decide they want to be dicks about it.

The rule is, if you treat someone like an hourly employee by docking their salary on being late, they're not longer considered exempt, which means I'd be owed a shit ton of OT and I absolutely, 100% would go after it and quit my job. I know the rule, but I bet they don't.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Volunteers on my drive this arvo making lots of jokes about identity and gender and saying "triggered!" a lot. I only resisted driving us all into a lake because we really need that vehicle working.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    The funny thing is that if you're not a dick about things like hours/coming in, people become MORE willing to throw in for the team on weekends etc. on the instances it's needed. If you're a time nazi though, don't be surprised when people aren't going to do the company a solid.

• Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    It was random acts of kindness day at work and my project manager sent me a lovely email saying that she was giving me the gift of time

I can basically take one hour off any time i want, have a late Monday morning or an early Friday afternoon

I thought it was quite sweet

Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The only job I ever had that did this (which incidentally was the highest turnover job I ever had) did it in 7 minute increments. However, you were written up if you got more than 14 minutes of OT in a paycheck, but of course you weren't in trouble if you forgot to clock in regularly. It works out in their favor to do it that way. You're scared to clock in early, but forgetful people will give up pay.

And that's why they had high turnover, because they were dicks.

Yea, I think we actually operate on quarter hours so it's 7 and a half minutes to be late/OT.
    schuss wrote: »
    The funny thing is that if you're not a dick about things like hours/coming in, people become MORE willing to throw in for the team on weekends etc. on the instances it's needed. If you're a time nazi though, don't be surprised when people aren't going to do the company a solid.

Yup. I don't get hassled about my time keeping aside from remembering to mostly clock in and out so I don't really care that I'm sometimes here early in the morning and they don't catch it. I'm usually pretty groggy and not doing a bunch of work right away anyways so those 15 minutes aren't a big deal.

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Volunteers on my drive this arvo making lots of jokes about identity and gender and saying "triggered!" a lot. I only resisted driving us all into a lake because we really need that vehicle working.
    :bro:

an argument for proper vehicle maintenance if i ever heard one.

zkHcp.jpg
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

You'd be amazed at how many doctors out there a) have a weak grasp on business and b) think their degree means that they actually do.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Our work has a rounding of 3 minutes either way, so "On Time" is clocking in between 6:57 and 7:03 for example, or clocking out at 3:27 to 3:33. If someone is constantly clocking in at 7:03 and clocking out at 3:27 they'll get a word about not taking advantage of the rounding system. Only a couple folks have done that over the years though, so it hasn't been a problem.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981

You'd be amazed at how many doctors out there a) have a weak grasp on business and b) think their degree means that they actually do.

Running the internals of the business is easy most of the time too, it's the externals that are tricky (getting customers and getting paid).

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So yesterday while subbing at the middle-school I got asked if I would like to sub again today. I'll cover a 7th grade language arts class for 1st & 7th period. The rest of the day will be spent with the entire 7th grade class at the Washington State History Museum.

And if every parental chaperone shows up then I get to simply walk around the museum for thee hours.

Come on, come on...

So I went on this yesterday and it was very enjoyable.

I ended having a group of students (ugh) but they were four girls who were very on task the whole time (yay) so I didn't have to do a lot during the field trip.

But before the day even began I had a few students ask me if I was a full-time teacher at their middle school because they see me there so often now, which was nice to hear. And then the principal pulled me aside and told me if it was up to him he'd have me at his school every day for the whole school year, so double awesome on that.

But the best moment of the day was during the field trip. The newest exhibit in the Washington State History Museum is on our state's beer, wine & coffee. So eventually my group made their way to it and they had glasses of beer & wine out around the area. So I walk up to a glass of wine and physically inspect it to, naturally, find that it is a physical prop made wholly of plastic.

I pull my head up from the prop glass of wine to see a student looking at me.

Student: Oh man Mr. C, you looked real disappointed that wine glass wasn't real.
    Me: ...Get walking.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

No, I wouldn't. Everyone I know who works for a doctor seems to find them intolerable as a manager. I don't think it's something they teach in med school.

MrMonroe wrote: »

No, I wouldn't. Everyone I know who works for a doctor seems to find them intolerable as a manager. I don't think it's something they teach in med school.

Well I meant the "treat the problem, not cover up the symptoms" more than anything there.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Yay day off after Parent/teacher conferences last night. FOUR DAY WEEKEND! Wooooooo.

I do have a grad class tonight though. Figuring out Operational Definitions for my prospectus. I think I'm pretty good.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Nominally we have core hours of 10 to 3 where we absolutely need to be there and can just arrange our 8 hour days (+ at least a half hour lunch break as required by law) around that. I do have colleagues in my group who come at 10 and others who leave at 3.

My personal work time is a bit difficult, some days I work only 6-7 hours and some days 9. We don't have a clock in mechanism and nobody cares about the actual time we are there. As far as I'm aware nobody abuses it. My boss is also good about letting people just come later/ leave earlier if they have an appointment for basically anything. I have an excel sheet where I keep my hours, but I started it so as not to work too much, and not the other way around.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    When I was a queue rep for our tiny department we were hourly and punched in on an online time-clock. It really depended on who we reported to as to how picky they were about it - my current team leader wasn't very particular about it and didn't like to micromanage to it as long as you got your hours. Now all of us are salaried, even the queue, so unless for some reason one of our little sub-groups were unmanned and someone noticed I don't think they really pay attention to it as long as our work is done.

We were recently told the four of us that can work from home should be mindful of doing it too much and that the preference is always that we're here when possible. During my 1x1 today it was suggested that was a blanket statement and that it didn't necessarily apply to everyone the same (in other words, I'm cool to continue to do it when I need).

Also, it sounds like my dream of just managing billing and behind the scenes stuff and getting out of the customer side of things might be coming true. I do like my current assigned large fleets but I can't help but get excited about the possibility - and as a bonus I got to push strongly for my long time partner in crime who is still working the queue to be the one to take my customers. I was also told I manage the lion's share of the department work and that my team leader leans on me more than others which was nice to hear.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    My group does thought work mostly, so as long as they're doing their job, I really don't care what hours they work. If they started only working 1-9 AM I'd probably have to talk to them, as that's not conducive to meetings, but given offshore teams we work with, that could also work. Many make the mistake of more hours = more productivity, which is only true of production-based jobs where output is directly related to the hours worked. Design and research is often different and overworking people will lead to people working slower (as they'll be held in the seat the full day regardless) or burning out.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Opportunity looms, it would be great if it concluded at the same time as this contract.

This discussion has been closed.