As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You just saw [MOVIES]? So did we! Let us discourse on this.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I'm sure sometimes studio meddling is good. We probably don't hear about those times too much. But man is it hard to imagine...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'm sure sometimes studio meddling is good. We probably don't hear about those times too much. But man is it hard to imagine...

no director would feel the need to be like "man these assholes kept jumping in and just making my movie way fuckin' better! it was great!"

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Shorty wrote: »

no director would feel the need to be like "man these assholes kept jumping in and just making my movie way fuckin' better! it was great!"

I guess I have seen cases where people have talked about execs, like, reigning in directors who were losing sight of the project, as it were, which I guess counts as "positive studio meddling". You're right though, that sort of insight rarely comes from the directors themselves.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Late news for Americans, but Hidden Figures is excellent and people should go and see it.

Also I didn't get the memo about Janelle Monáe and hey, hi, hello *sheepish shuffling of feet*

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    So Logan is getting some great early reviews

That's honestly a little surprising to me

Given how The Wolverine went, I figured they'd screw it up somehow

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    So I saw Fences this evening and it was seriously seriously good

Turns out Denzel Washington and Viola Davis are really friggin good at acting!

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

James Gunn actually said something like that for Guardians.

To paraphrase (if memory serves), he said Marvel kept going "No, make it MORE James Gunn. It's not James Gunn enough yet. We hired James Gunn, didn't we?"

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    There is a cracked article about time where studio intervention saved a movie. I cant find it but that has to mean there were at least five time in history that studio execs made the right call

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I found this really interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxPK3sYb90w&list=PLU0Cu1gVmh2ea7rbs3QZPI8S8hbN-kg1y&index=8

TLDR: The Thing prequel originally had awesome practical effects and the studio made them paint over them with CGI. That's why the film looked horrible. Some of the puppets they had looks fucking awesome.

Release the original version imo

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    There is a cracked article about time where studio intervention saved a movie. I cant find it but that has to mean there were at least five time in history that studio execs made the right call

If I'm remembering the documentary I watched correctly, Casablanca was this way.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

To paraphrase (if memory serves), he said Marvel kept going "No, make it MORE James Gunn. It's not James Gunn enough yet. We hired James Gunn, didn't we?"

good thing nobody listened to them

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

Also it was recent inductee to the SE++ Hall of We Now Hate Them, Joss Whedon, who gave him that note.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The Wolverine was a perfectly fine movie.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah

It was half of a very very good movie and half of a mediocre one which averages out to perfectly fine

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I actually think either half of Wolverine would have been dope

Like, I want to watch both of those Wolverine movies

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Time to watch The Accountant

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    dang, donglover's really going places

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    still don't really understand the point of a live action lion king movie but sure, that's good casting

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    still don't really understand the point of a live action lion king movie but sure, that's good casting
    The point is The Jungle Book made a butt ton of money

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    The point is The Jungle Book made a butt ton of money

And it was a pretty good movie in it's own right.

Although I'm pretty sure Murray and Walken both heard the Favreau say "no musical numbers" and went "fuck that noise why else do you think I'm here?!"

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    I get that it'll make money, but...like...are they just going to be cg animals that they superimpose onto literal africa

• Options
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Also it was recent inductee to the SE++ Hall of We Now Hate Them, Joss Whedon, who gave him that note.

finally joss gets the recognition he's deserved his whole career

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I get that it'll make money, but...like...are they just going to be cg animals that they superimpose onto literal africa

That's how they did Jungle Book so probably

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah

It was half of a very very good movie and half of a mediocre one which averages out to perfectly fine

If it were the second half that were very good, I'd actually agree with you

But since the second half is the mediocre-to-bad one, it ends up being a real disappointment to me

They screw up all the good things they do in that first half

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Hermano wrote: »

I mean there was an actual human boy in that

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Woah hold on we glossed over the fact that Godzilla fighting a goddamn EVA on that popcorn box??

There were some godzilla vs. eva art things done back on April Fools, I think that was one of em.

Yeah, but it did get its own page on the official Shin Godzilla website that they continued to update well past April 1st.
    http://shin-godzilla.jp/gvse/

And found a fanmade trailer that doesn't use any anime in it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV4QjGoMrM4&list=_

SabreMau on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-classic-films-that-were-garbage-before-studios-intervened/

5. Back to the Future - Doc had a pet chimp buddy, and the studio came up with the DeLorean
    4. Good Will Hunting - originally just a generic spy thriller and Malick was brought in to fix the end
    3. Easy Rider - Hopper's edit was between 3 and 5 hours
    2. American History X - very little Edward Norton
    1. Alien - writers thought having robots/androids was a terrible idea, also wanted to call the film Starbeast

• Options

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-classic-films-that-were-garbage-before-studios-intervened/

5. Back to the Future - Doc had a pet chimp buddy, and the studio came up with the DeLorean
    4. Good Will Hunting - originally just a generic spy thriller and Malick was brought in to fix the end
    1. Alien - writers thought having robots/androids was a terrible idea, also wanted to call the film Starbeast

Wait

Good Will Hunting was originally about spies, you say

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    My dumb self would have liked the pet chimp sidekick in BttF, but not in place of the DeLorean

tbh remake the film just to let him ride the DeLorean

• Options
    Hermano wrote: »

I mean there was an actual human boy in that

Oh right, I see what you mean, I guess just removing the one real person isn't a huge leap though

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'm imagining a live-action Lion King film done thirty years ago, in the vein of Homeward Bound where they just have footage of animals with voice-over.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    NVM. My reading comprehensions is bad.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

Wait

Yeah. Will was recruited by CIA suits in the original pitch due to his math skills and it became a thriller.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    One of the early trailers/posters for Back to the Future had a nuclear bomb reflected in Marty's sunglasses.

Also my signed early draft of the script, Jennifer's name is different.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Remember when nearly every movie had to have a chimp character?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Wait

Yeah. Will was recruited by CIA suits in the original pitch due to his math skills and it became a thriller.

WHAT?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

Wait

WHAT?

They kind of riff on it near the end when Will is listing off possibilities for his future with Sean.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Back to the Future also filmed for like a month with a completely different Marty McFly, didn't it?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
This discussion has been closed.