As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Indie Comics You Should Be Reading 2017

Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
New year should deserve a new thread, nicht wahr?

Let's start off with my current interest, the Hard Case Crime imprint being put out by Titan Comics. So far this consists of three series: Peepland, Triggerman, and Assignment. We're actually in something of a crime comic renaissance with titles like these, Dead Inside from Dark Horse, as well as slightly more fantastic titles like Moonshine from Image. Not to everyone's tastes, but maybe I'm just so friggin' burnt out on superheroes at the moment that I need comics that can be a little gritty without going the full Howard Chaykin.

I'm not sure where exactly the Mignolaverse goes from here, but we're looking at a one-shot on the alien that stayed behind waaaay back in Conqueror Worm, Baltimore experienced a time-skip that looks like he's going head-to-head with the Red King...finally...and there's a new Joe Golem series in the work. So while Hellboy might be retired for a bit, things march on.

I never thought I would buy another G. I. Joe comic after the fantastic, epic, bizarreness that was the last Transformers/G. I. Joe crossover, but then I found out that Giannis Milonogiannis was drawing G. I. Joe Revolution, and since Prophet ended I'm keen on it. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the story that goes along with it is pretty damn good too, so I'm going to add it to my pulls at least for a bit.

Island continues to be the best anthology comic in the American market right now (sorry Dark Horse Presents!) 'nuff said, I think. Like a fair number of anthology comics, Island is also a good lead-in to some of the trades and collections by some of the writer/artists within - if you like it, there's generally more of the same. Ironically, it reminds me a bit of the old (OLD! ANCIENT!) Dark Horse Cheval Noir anthology, which published a lot of fantastic European artists to a starved American market.

Adam Warren's twitter says that Empowered volume 10 is mostly done, and meanwhile I enjoyed the first part of the Soldier of Love filler series.

In my old age, I'm finding more appeal in the nonfiction side of comics as well, so I will recommend the ongoing Comic Book History of Comics and this new graphic novel that has landed on my doorstep: The Comic Book History of Beer.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos

• Options
    wallywestwallywest Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Monstress will be finishing up the first 12 issues by mid year or so. Probably my favorite title right now, just love the artwork and the story.

I wish Injection was published a bit more frequently, but I still dig it.

I'm with ya on Moonshine. A little slow out of the gate but it's getting good. I would expect nothing less from that team.

Locke & Key has a one shot out now, Small World. Has a Q&A where Joe Hill hints around at the possibility of another 37+ issue story, called World War Key. Please Jebus, Vishnu, Ra, whatever god may be listening, make this happen.

wallywest on
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Just read the first trade of the Black Monday Murders, which is a dense read and pretty fascinating so far. It's Hickman and it has the usual schematics, lists and background documents that I love from his older works. The global financial market and hermetic magic are connected, allowing a small group of people longer lives and amazing fortune, but there will be a price to pay.

Kill or be Killed is the latest Brubaker/Phillips combo. The first trade is just out, it's a good work as usual, but I'm kinda waiting where it's going. Had the same feeling with trade 1 of the Fade Out and that turned out to be one of my favourites, so you never know.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Apparently Matt Wagner is finally doing Mage: The Hero Denied. (I'll believe it when I have it in my hands) It's one of the series I've been waiting for for years.

• Options
    Trinket TranceTrinket Trance CanadaRegistered User new member
    I'm enjoying the heck out of Ken Garing's second volume of Planetary. Wild Storm is an interesting slow burn so far. The new season of Angel is finally good again, with a new writer that better understands Whedon character voices and it has an Illyria-heavy plot instead of mostly being a Faith title. Monstress, Injection, I Hate Fairyland, Tooth & Claw and Clean Room are other favourites. I keep meaning to pick up Joe Hill's Tales From the Darkside.

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    I'm enjoying the heck out of Ken Garing's second volume of Planetary. Wild Storm is an interesting slow burn so far. The new season of Angel is finally good again, with a new writer that better understands Whedon character voices and it has an Illyria-heavy plot instead of mostly being a Faith title. Monstress, Injection, I Hate Fairyland, Tooth & Claw and Clean Room are other favourites. I keep meaning to pick up Joe Hill's Tales From the Darkside.

I've read Tales From the Darkside. It's... readable, but not the best horror comic I've read. A lot like the original show really.

• Options
    MichealBMichealB Registered User new member
    I am a fan of Indie type comic books, I would say that this might be the only genre I read but I only started recently. Have y'all read Saga and Deadly Class? If so could you tell me if you stumble upon any similar in 2017 indie comics? Thanks. :)

• Options
    MichealB wrote: »
    I am a fan of Indie type comic books, I would say that this might be the only genre I read but I only started recently. Have y'all read Saga and Deadly Class? If so could you tell me if you stumble upon any similar in 2017 indie comics? Thanks. :)

From the writer of Saga, there is also Paper Girls.

Others I quite like, but are different in style from Saga and Deadly Class: East of West (post-apocalyptic sci-fi with old testament trappings), Descender (space opera sci-fi dealing with robots vs. organics) and The Wicked and the Divine (every 90 years gods incarnate on Earth to inspire humanity. Within 2 years, they all die and a new cycle starts).