As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pather Panchali [Chat]

KanaKana Registered User regular
edited February 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
Pather_panchali_poster_in_color_1.jpg
Pather Panchali (English: Song of the Little Road) is a 1955 Indian Bengali-language drama film directed by Satyajit Ray (1921–1992) and produced by the Government of West Bengal. It is based on Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay's 1929 Bengali novel of the same name and is Ray's directorial debut. It features Subir Banerjee, Kanu Banerjee, Karuna Banerjee, Uma Dasgupta and Chunibala Devi. The first film in the Apu trilogy, Pather Panchali depicts the childhood of the protagonist Apu (Subir Banerjee) and his elder sister Durga (Uma Dasgupta) and the harsh village life of their poor family.

Production was interrupted because of funding problems and it took nearly three years for the film to be completed. The film was shot mainly on location, had a limited budget,[c] featured mostly amateur actors, and was made by an inexperienced crew. The sitar player Ravi Shankar composed the film's soundtrack and score using classical Indian ragas. Subrata Mitra was in charge of the cinematography while editing was handled by Dulal Dutta. Following its premiere on 3 May 1955 during an exhibition at New York's Museum of Modern Art, Pather Panchali was released in Calcutta later the same year to an enthusiastic reception. A special screening was attended by the Chief Minister of West Bengal and the Prime Minister of India. Critics have praised its realism, humanity, and soul-stirring qualities while others have called its slow pace a drawback, and some have condemned it for romanticising poverty. Scholars have commented on the film's lyrical quality and realism (influenced by Italian neorealism), its portrayal of the poverty and small delights of daily life, and the use of what the author Darius Cooper has termed the "epiphany of wonder", among other themes.

Salman Rushdie "the greatest movie ever made"
Akira Kurosawa "Never having seen a Satyajit Ray movie is like never having seen the sun or the moon."

Ray's Cinematographer Subrata MitraIt had never operated a movie camera before the filming of Pather Panchali. Today it is often considered one of the greatest works of cinematography in film history.
Sight & Sound, the British Film Institute's (BFI) magazine, has included Pather Panchali several times in its Critics' Polls of the greatest-ever films. In 1962, it ranked 11th; in 1992, 6th; and in 2002, 22nd. The magazine ranked the film 42nd in its 2012 list of "Top 50 Greatest Films of All Time". In 1998, in a similar critics' poll from Asian film magazine Cinemaya, Pather Panchali was ranked the second-greatest film of all time. The Village Voice ranked the film at number 12 (tied with The Godfather) in its Top 250 "Best Films of the Century" list in 1999, based on a poll of critics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op86dIWlKEc

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
Kana on

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    that film looks terrible i didn't see even one giant robot

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Okay, for the first time, the 32Family is leading an expedition to the Cove. Slay the fishmen, brave ones.

ewm8jfddjfe1.png

And slay fishmen they did. Spool came close to dying but, thanks to Squeakel's good bedside manner, he recovered. Stronger.

Belasco, ever the studious Antiquarian, appraised quite a few antiques in this expedition. Pricey statues, ancient medallions, she found enough to come back with a princely sum,

b0ec9qs9y6uw.png

And so, the 32 Family's first expedition came to a close.

A+ Will send to their doom again.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I knew I was right to place my faith in you, Kana.

You have served the people of D&D and [chat] well on this day, my friend.

• Options
    (no actually that's pretty amazing tho)

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    so when i left to go out for dinner with the wife today, i was waiting at the bus stop, sitting on the bench in the bus shelter

and a fellow sitting next to me smoking a cigarette, which is pretty rare nowadays but does happen from time to time

i caught a whiff of his second-hand, which my lungs react poorly to (sucks to my asthmar) and i coughed a little pissant Zoolander cough

he immediately apologized and put out his cigarette and was like "man, that's not only inconsiderate it's illegal, I should know better, sorry dude"

and i accepted his apology as is the way of our people

he wanted to change the subject to something more positive so he asked me if I caught the Royals game (local hockey team) and we small talked from there

it was a very Canadian moment

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So the Little Drummer Boy of Hoboken, as I have dubbed him, threw a drink with ice into the garbage from 4 meters away. I happen to be in this trajectory and ice splashed all the fuck over me.

He's a total Jersey Shore fuckheel.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Pony wrote: »
    so when i left to go out for dinner with the wife today, i was waiting at the bus stop, sitting on the bench in the bus shelter

and a fellow sitting next to me smoking a cigarette, which is pretty rare nowadays but does happen from time to time

i caught a whiff of his second-hand, which my lungs react poorly to (sucks to my asthmar) and i coughed a little pissant Zoolander cough

he immediately apologized and put out his cigarette and was like "man, that's not only inconsiderate it's illegal, I should know better, sorry dude"

and i accepted his apology as is the way of our people

he wanted to change the subject to something more positive so he asked me if I caught the Royals game (local hockey team) and we small talked from there

it was a very Canadian moment

Ugh. Sports.

I hate when people blow sports in my face.

Also smoke.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    good thing you didn't say sorry back for accidentally pressuring him to put it out or you could've gotten stuck in the dreaded infinite apology loop

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Pony in Canada do you guys like Letterkenny because I think it's a great show.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Options
    Damn the DJ here is playing La Roux.

Haven't heard Bulletproof in awhile. Love that song.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    good thing you didn't say sorry back for accidentally pressuring him to put it out or you could've gotten stuck in the dreaded infinite apology loop

This is when you burst to avoid getting looped because you def don't want to get pressured into a dizzy

That's just asking for death

Orphane on
  • Options

i have never heard of this

• Options
    @FroThulhu I don't want things to be weird. Let's kiss and make up. In front of everyone. While they watch.

• Options

fun fact

a "Canadian Standoff" is when the door is open and there's two Canadians trying to enter/exit, or two Canadians are trying to pass each other on the street, and they're both insisting "After you" and both are too polite to just go first

this can go on for some time and is a very real problem

• Options

fun fact

a "Canadian Standoff" is when the door is open and there's two Canadians trying to enter/exit, or two Canadians are trying to pass each other on the street, and they're both insisting "After you" and both are too polite to just go first

I always pull out some dice and roll for initiative

• Options
    ok time to stab dudes with a short spear

• Options
    OH SHIT FOLKS, IT'S A SPACEX LAUNCH ANNOUNCEMENT POST!

We are less than 11 hours away from our confirmed launch attempt time of 10:01 Eastern. That's 15:01 UTC, 7:01am on the West Coast, and I've provided enough information there for you to figure it out if you live somewhere else!

This launch is an instantaneous (+/- one second) launch window because we are flying to the INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION tomorrow!

SpaceX's 30th Falcon 9 launch will be carrying their Dragon cargo spacecraft full of all sorts of scientific goodies and supplies to the fine folks about the space station.

This is SpaceX's 10th of 20 contracted cargo flights to the ISS, though as the funding for the ISS is extended it is expected that further launch contracts would follow, too.

This flight is being flown in Return-To-Landing-Site mode, which means the first stage of the rocket will attempt to make a vertical landing back on dry land, which sure saves on shipping fees! This will also be the first launch from historic launchpad LC-39A since the end of the Shuttle era, and I for one am thrilled to see this historical landmark coming out of retirement!

No great images of this launch vehicle standing upright on the pad just yet because it is nighttime in Florida, but here's a picture of them loading the last of the cargo onboard the Dragon earlier today:

3SMwiejl.jpg

WHO'S READY TO GO TO SPACE, BABAY?! Woo!

I will be up and providing live coverage of the launch if my next 10.5 hours go according to plan :D

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

fun fact

yes.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Dickhead (my new cutesy name for Little Drummer Boy of Hoboken) just threw a bunch of bar napkins into the crowd.

The bartenders are clearly displeased, though they are trying hard to ignore him. Frankly, I want to go and slap him in the face.

Drez on
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    So the Little Drummer Boy of Hoboken, as I have dubbed him, threw a drink with ice into the garbage from 4 meters away. I happen to be in this trajectory and ice splashed all the fuck over me.

But he made the shot tho?

• Options

I've only seen one episode (I forget where or when or why) but I thoroughly enjoyed what I saw :)

• Options
    Just watched the bartender tell him to cut the shit.

Love it.

• Options

fun fact

I lost an aunt this way.

• Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

But he made the shot tho?

Well it would be like, if in Basketball, it were possible to get 20% of your Basketball to fly into the audience while still making your basket.

In that context, I guess so?

• Options
    You know what Canadians aren't polite about?

PSAs about safety.

I saw a PSA on TV the other day that was anti-distracted driving and holy fuck, it was not fucking around with the the guilt tripping.

It was like, a young man literally sobbing into the camera as he told a story about how he was sending cute "I love you" and "I love you more" texts back and forth with his fiancee while she was driving home and then she plowed into another car because she was texting while driving and fucking died and I am like holy christ I was watching Supergirl guys I was not in for something this heavy.

This is like the PSA campaign we had about workplace safety where a woman burned her face off.

chimney.

• Options

PSAs about safety.

I saw a PSA on TV the other day that was anti-distracted driving and holy fuck, it was not fucking around with the the guilt tripping.

It was like, a young man literally sobbing into the camera as he told a story about how he was sending cute "I love you" and "I love you more" texts back and forth with his fiancee while she was driving home and then she plowed into another car because she was texting while driving and fucking died and I am like holy christ I was watching Supergirl guys I was not in for something this heavy.

This is like the PSA campaign we had about workplace safety where a woman burned her face off.

chimney.

Safety is no laughing matter

• Options
    there was a psa in australia about safe driving and the dude is going too fast and time freezes and he comes out and he's like i'm going too fast bro and the dude has his kid in the car and he's like oh god not my son and when they realize it's too late he sadly gets back into his car and time resumes and he plows into them and I am like holy shit that's dark as fuck.

• Options
  • Options
    Also I have just confirmed that tomorrow's launch will include a crew of mousetronauts, which is cute if you think about it a little but gets less cute and more sad the more you think about it.

But MICE ARE GOING INTO ORBIT AND VISITING A BIG FANCY SPACE STATION LABORATORY ISN'T THAT EXCITING AND FUN YAY!

• Options
    there was a psa in australia about safe driving and the dude is going too fast and time freezes and he comes out and he's like i'm going too fast bro and the dude has his kid in the car and he's like oh god not my son and when they realize it's too late he sadly gets back into his car and time resumes and he plows into them and I am like holy shit that's dark as fuck.

oh god i saw this one, someone posted it online

it's SUPER FUCKING DARK

jesus christ

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i worked 24 hours since 9am yesterday

thank fucking god i am done for the next 5 days

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

PSAs about safety.

chimney.

Your OSHA equivalent does some really dark and fucked up ones for workplace safety. They do not fuck around.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

you get to work

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

you get to work

you're not my real dad/boss!

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I might be vanguard!

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    In apropos of nothing.

https://youtu.be/s86K-p089R8

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl5TUw7sUBs
    For real though, is this vaporwave?

• Options
    pogo is not vaporwave

This discussion has been closed.