As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:Stormblood] The solution to the MSQ block was so simple. Delete Balmung

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Did not see Doma coming at all.

Alright, time to liberate the smoking crater thats left of it I guess.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Player: "We liberated your homeland!"
    Domans: "But, but. . . there is nothing left. . . ."
    *smash cut to the barren wasteland that is Doma*
    Player: "Ha ha, that's the spirit! No need to thank us! Peace out!"

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Player: "We liberated your homeland!"
    Domans: "But, but. . . there is nothing left. . . ."
    *smash cut to the barren wasteland that is Doma*
    Player: "Ha ha, that's the spirit! No need to thank us! Peace out!"

So, XCOM protocol?

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    edited February 2017
    Abit salty Samurai is a DPS.

Didn't think they would honestly go with all DPS jobs for expansion. Theres already a ton of them.

Dr. Chaos on
    edited February 2017
    Abit salty Samurai is a tank.

Didn't think they would honestly go with all DPS jobs for expansion. Theres already a ton of them.

It is Deeps.

edit- Or did you typo, if so statement retracted.

Axen on
    I'd be more livid if SAM was a tank TBH because of existing issues.

And it makes zero difference to the tank population. Flavour of the Month hoppers will play for a bit then abandon the job because they don't want to tank. At least this way there'll be a lot more people playing the new job

Abit salty Samurai is a tank.

It is Deeps.

edit- Or did you typo, if so statement retracted.
    Yeah, meant to say DPS.

my bad.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So what's the story with Doma? All I really remember from the MSQ is Doman refugees, but not the reason.

Echo wrote: »
    So what's the story with Doma? All I really remember from the MSQ is Doman refugees, but not the reason.

From what I remember the Empire so utterly destroyed it to the point that the Domans had no choice but to leave.

Which is why some of us find humor in the idea of "liberating" it. :razz:

Doma and Ala Mhigo will be an interesting contrast.

Doma was a state that resisted the invasion and was obliterated
    Ala Mhigo was infiltrated and taken without a fight so it still had a lot of fighting strength left for a resistance.

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    They thought they saw a moment of weakness in the empire and tried to regain independence. Empire went "lolNOPE" and Gozilla-stomped them beyond all necessity.

Oh yeah, that "Garlean Empire" thing. Almost forgot they existed until they got some token appearances just to remind us they're still around. :rotate:

edited February 2017
    New Beast tribe, the Kojin
    Who are basically japanese turtles. They believe gods inhabit all objects but one god stands above all:

unknown.png

Takel on
    I can already see the confrontation with Yugiri about the fate of Doma.

Player: "What the hell! You told us Doma was destroyed!"
    Yugiri: "The spirit of Doma has been destroyed."
    Player: "That is a very big distinction!"
    Yugiri: "Not to us."
    Player: "GROOOOAAAAAANNN!"

edited February 2017
    4th housing district will be in Shirogane

aka eastern style

And plots aren't available at launch. But time delayed. Which is a smart move

Furnishing capacity in houses will be doubled
    Small = 100 -> 200
    Medium = 150 -> 300
    Large = 200 -> 400

Takel on
    Damn. Just a massive explosion of Doma info.

Was this secretly a bigger Doma expansion than it was an Ala Mhigo one?

Damn. Just a massive explosion of Doma info.

Was this secretly a bigger Doma expansion than it was an Ala Mhigo one?

So far it is sounding that way to me. Guess I'll find out in the morning when the info dump has been parsed.

I can already see the confrontation with Yugiri about the fate of Doma.

Player: "What the hell! You told us Doma was destroyed!"
    Yugiri: "The spirit of Doma has been destroyed."
    Player: "That is a very big distinction!"
    Yugiri: "Not to us."
    Player: "GROOOOAAAAAANNN!"
    I'm already getting ready to roll my eyes at Doma being a lush eastern setting that looks like nothing happened.

Also annoyed at Doma getting housing ahead of Ishgard. Ugh.

edited February 2017
    Devil's advocate here, but I suspect that they decided to do Doman setting for the new housing ward because Ishgardian housing wouldn't be distinct enough from the woodlands cottage style of Gridania, the desert setting of Ul'dah and the wooden coastal style of the Lominsan housing wards. Or they couldn't think of enough A-B-C variations for stone buildings compared to the low lying fruit of an Eastern/Japanese style

Takel on
    edited February 2017
    Takel wrote: »
    Devil's advocate here, but I suspect that they decided to do Doman setting for the new housing ward because Ishgardian housing wouldn't be distinct enough from the woodlands cottage style of Gridania, the desert setting of Ul'dah and the wooden coastal style of the Lominsan housing wards.
    Ishgard has a snowy/wintery european style to it thats pretty different from current housing zones.

Dr. Chaos on
    I would've loved me some wintry gothic architecture housing area.

They had a whole year and an expansion to add it and God knows the game can use all the housing plots it can get.

15-20 minutes queueing in DPS level roulette

I get Ifrit. 4k xp total since I already got the daily bonus. :rotate:

Nope. No new battle system info. Rather disappointed by that

edited February 2017
    I got Ifrit AGAIN.

247 (two hundred and fortyseven) xp total for that run! At least last run had newbie bonus!

But then I got the suggestion to just queue for dungeons directly since I don't have the daily roulette bonus.

RNLNkssl.jpg

Echo on
    edited February 2017
    I'm a little curious why they've still got tentative marked for the starting levels of RDM and SAM. I'm very curious if they're in discussions to plop them as level 60 from the get-go so that there's no hauling up through 10 levels of underpopulated content which means people can get in on the initial wave of activity

Or it'll be 10 levels of PotD

Takel on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Whaaat. SAM after all! Did not expect that at all!

edited February 2017
    Yoshi-P said that he was really surprised at how quickly people drew the Spiderman -> Sam Raimi -> Samu Rai-mi link
    Which I originally thought was stretching it, but it was the best possible explanation offered at that time.

Oh and additional tibbit about Samurai:
    Their katana will have unique scabbards for each weapon. In otherwords, the model design for the katanas will be both the sword and the scabbard

Recap for the new info in the last FanFest keynote:
    • Stormblood will have the players travel between both Ala Mhigo and Doma to attempt to liberate both cities from Garland control.
    • Kugane is the new player town, which is the only port open to foreign vessels in that area
    • New housing wards will be released in Kugane (Shirogane) but the plots themselves will be opened after some time so that players can focus on the MSQ content rather than battling to get plots of land
    • There will be an option to move houses to Shirogane for FCs (no idea about player housing or how they'll deal with the supply issues for houses)
    • Shirogane housing will obviously have a Eastern/Japanese styling to it and new furnishings to match will also be introduced
    • Housing furnishing slots will be doubled
    • New beast tribe: The Kojin. Who are turtle-based sea traders based around the Ruby Sea. They have a polytheistic religion that believes that gods inhabit objects. However, they have a god they revere above others who is Susano
    • Susano will be another FFXIV-original primal in the FF series.
    • The Kojin are also good swimmers... and probably have underwater settlements... just saying
    • Stormblood will also introduce the first expansive plains design map (which is very likely possible only because they ditched the PS3 which would have limited draw distance)
    • Samurai have been confirmed as the second and final new job in Stormblood.
    • They are a melee DPS, not a tank
    • They will tag along MNKs in gear
    • Their attacks are based around three aspects - Setsu (Snow), Getsu (Moon) and Ka (Flower)
    • They build up energy in their katana then release it in a special attack
    • SAM's weapons have unique scabbards as part of their weapon model's design

Takel on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Also I feel a bit punked now. All along I was expecting a big Ala Mhigo expansion, but instead we got juked and got our secret Othard expansion instead, and I don't think the balance of content is going to be in favor of the former location.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited February 2017
    Takel wrote: »
    Yoshi-P said that he was really surprised at how quickly people drew the Spiderman -> Sam Raimi -> Samu Rai-mi link
    Which I originally thought was stretching it, but it was the best possible explanation offered at that time.

I thought that theory was really stretching things IMO.

I was still expecting SAM, but to me Spider-Man -> gains powers from a spider bite = BLU made more sense to me. Plus Spider-Man's color scheme is red and blue. That line of reasoning made a lot more sense to me.

Honestly, if he wanted to use a Marvel character to hint at SAM I think Wolverine would have been a more fitting choice, though I suppose more obvious. But this is the internet and people did figure out the Sam Raimi connection almost as soon as Yoshi-P walked on stage with that shirt on.

Axen on
    I feel that the reason why it feels like Ala Mhigo is taking a back stage is because this is the reveal of Orthad. They've already gone over Ala Mhigo and the surrounding areas in the Las Vegas FanFest so this is the time to show off the second big area. Plus it's 4 months further in development so there's more solid stuff to show off

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I hope SAM turns out to be what Dragoon was in 2.0.

A relaxing, big hitting melee class.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    This is everything I wanted.

Also, I hope SAM can take a hit, because get ready for a dick-ton of 4 SAM potd parties

• SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Still rolling with Red Mage.

Floppy hats everywhere.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Samurai, eh? Interesting!

Their major combat gimmick is that they build up charge before unleashing a big attack? Well, I am hoping that some of said attacks are references to the OG charge-and-unleash Samurai; Cyan Garamonde. Stuff like Fang, Tiger, Dragon, Flurry, or Oblivion. Judging by the trailer, they definitely have what is either Oblivion or Iainuki.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Nope. I want Romancing Saga/ Legend of Mana references.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited February 2017
    In a little break over the keynote, let's go back to an earlier piece about Spell Speed and BLMs and let's apply it to the other caster: Summoners

Avert your eyes if you care not about minute details in gearing.

How Stat Weights can lie to you part 2

Now, Dervy's stat weights have placed Spell Speed slightly above Determination, which has lead some people to go clamouring over the spellspeed bandwagon for Summoners because they think more GCDs = more Ruin IIIs in Dreadwyrm Trance (DWT) and more Ruin IIIs in general. However, let's go over the problems with attempting to stack spellspeed for more GCDs as a SMN and more precisely, what it means to get another GCD in DWT.

DWT: 15s buff that increases your damage by 10% and enables Deathflare, a 400 potency oGCD ability that also cancels DWT. Ruin III also costs virtually no MP during DWT. Now, 15s. You'd think to yourself that 15/2.5 = 6 therefore you should be able to get 6 casts off, right? Wrong. DWT is an oGCD ability so it'll take 1s before you can perform another action. Hence, the duration is actually 14s. Now, you also want to have a split second to hit Deathflare otherwise you've thrown out the entire point of DWT and that's the 400 potency attack. Otherwise you're trading 200 potency for a lost 400 potency oGCD. Bad trade.
    That then means you need to be able to finish your casts a little bit before 14s, probably closer to 13.8 or 13.5s depending on how good you're with smashing buttons. This then means that you're looking at a base 5 GCDs in DWT, especially given that you'll want 2 more oGCDs within DWT: Fester and Tri-Disaster. Those two are non-negotiable. Fester is 300 potency so it's more than Ruin III and a Contagioned Tri-D is worth around 1440 potency. So that's a definite. This then cuts into your GCDs because you cannot cast, use an oGCD and not clip your next GCD because of the 1s absolute global. This then means you're really looking at close to 12-13s to get your casts in before you fire off Tri-D, Fester and Deathflare. Or somehow weave it in somewhere.

But let's ignore that for now and go to the recommendation that's been paraded around on Reddit and such to have 760 SS to get a 6 GCD DWT. This isn't going to get your 6 GCDs. 760 SS will put you at 2.34s GCD, which 6 casts will be 14.08s. You're going to be over with just the casts alone due to the 1s lockout from activating DWT so you're not going to get your Deathflare off. Or if you do, it's because of some funky server timing and you're really playing with fire if you're relying on server ticks to get your stuff off. And you're still going to run into issues getting your big oGCDs off which are the Fester and Tri-D

You're actually looking at 1021 SS or 2.24s GCDs to get 6 GCDs. That will put you at 13.44s after the last cast has finished which gives you time to fire off one GCD which will be Deathflare. You still had zero time to weave in Tri-D or Fester but you could if you use Ruin II instead of a Ruin III. However, if you were to stay with the normal amounts of SS which is around 2.4s, you could get 5 Ruin III casts, the two oGCDs and still Deathflare without having to do something funky like replacing a R3 with an R2 so you can oGCD weave between your casts. Or maybe you can do with less. 2.3s GCDs or 863 SS will get you to 13.8s with 6 casts but you're still hitting the same problem of having to replace the Ruin IIIs you've worked so hard to get with R2s just to fire off those oGCDs which are more potent.
    Edit: Turns out that you use Swiftcast -> DWT -> R3 then Tri-D in the created oGCD slot due to the instant cast R3. That way you still get your big bang buffed Tri-D without dropping the Ruin III. This does lead to a nice boost in damage if you can do the 6 R3 DWT, but the problem still stands; you're sacrificing a chunk of crit to get that extra SS and you're looking at the 850 mark. Then you get to the soft part which is executing it in an actual encounter environment and not a safe striking dummy scenario.

So what does this actually mean? Going the heavy SS route to get another GCD in DWT may not actually net you anything at all. All that spellspeed, and you're looking at around another 470 spell speed to get to 1021 SS from a normal amount of around 650. Getting those extra GCDs out of DWT will likely be Ruin I or IIs since you should already be MP tapped out with Ruin III casts, so any additional GCDs will never be a R3. That's another 80 potency per GCD and I'd estimate that you'll get maybe 1-2 GCDs like that between each DWT period.

Now, there's a bunch of numbers involved if you care to count GCDs in a timeline, but they all suggest in terms of pure potency it's likely that a 6 GCD DWT will beat out a 5 GCD standard DWT in terms of pure potency/min. Assuming that the only stat you're trading for that extra SS is det. Only, that isn't the case. All those extra SS is coming straight out of your CRIT, which is your most valuable secondary stat by far and makes the trade totally not worth it for that amount of SS, and even with the paltry 760 requirement which doesn't actually enable you to do a 6 GCD DWT.
    Of course, the alternative to the oGCD quandary with a 6 GCD DWT is to skip the oGCDs entirely and to look at the situation as being a trade off. You're still going to Fester again, you're still going to Tri-D so what is the potency loss if you leave them out of the DWT? 10% of 300 and 1440, so 30 + 144 = 174 potency. Leave out the oGCDs, get another Ruin III in which is a 26 potency gain? All that spellspeed for 26 (+10%) potency?!?!

So, summarising everything. SS on paper looks like it'll be a better option, however I strongly suspect that the models that are being used do not reflect the realities of combat. And this is only looking at a one minute cycle of DWT. Encounter design places periods of zero contact, which means that encounters are effectively shorter and truncate partial GCDs so in actuality, you may not be gaining as many GCDs as you'd expect. That suspicion applies to pretty much every job in detail I may go into in another post.

Takel on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Disappointed that it's Samurai.

I'm curious about how they'll explain Doma being 'destroyed' when there's a big city and lush player housing area. Unless those places aren't considered to be Doma?

Disappointed that nothing was revealed about the new combat.

I am happy that the world map has been fleshed out. I'm guessing that the huge cloud covered area is the Garlean Empire.

This discussion has been closed.