As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Path of Fire expansion to be released on Sept 22!

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Having a real blast so far! Some kind soul showed me around the starting area, namely to all the jumping puzzles. (Holy crap that one in the lava area tho.) Then they gave me 10 gold. I am... very, very happy right now. Also: Jennifer Hale voices the Sylvari female. Which is what my character is. I chose wisely.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Having a real blast so far! Some kind soul showed me around the starting area, namely to all the jumping puzzles. (Holy crap that one in the lava area tho.) Then they gave me 10 gold. I am... very, very happy right now. Also: Jennifer Hale voices the Sylvari female. Which is what my character is. I chose wisely.

She also voices Queen Jennah of Kryta, who has quite a few lines in the latest Living World Episode once you get to it. So you can look forward to Jennifer Hale talking to herself in the future.

btw what class did you pick?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

What's your characters name ? I can sort you out with some cash, and bags to get you going.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    BTW, anyone need the "Sylvari Solidarity" achievement from the 2nd mission of HoT?

I'm getting my Thief over there so that I can do it, figured if anyone didn't have it I could help out.

• Options
    Hey, old HoT maps still organize for meta events or do HP tours?

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Feldorn wrote: »
    Hey, old HoT maps still organize for meta events or do HP tours?

HP tours are still a thing, though not every hour of every day like it used to be. Dragon's Stand usually has a Squad up when it starts, since it's the only way to get anything worthwhile done on it (only map where the meta wasn't changed in any significant way.) With the other three maps starting their 2nd phase fully prepared regardless of how the first phase went, you get ad-hoc groups that pop up before AB and TD start ala Tequatl to get everyone in their place for the Battle of Tarir or Chak Garent, respectively.

Verdant Brink is probably the worst off in that regard. While Night no longer requires Day to be 100% in all areas to hit T4, you still need to find a guild-organized map to pull it off, as opposed to the other three which are now doable with whoever shows up as long as you get there early enough that you aren't stuck in the 3rd or 4th instance of the map.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well bleh. As I recall, there is a HP in Verdant Brink that is only available after the meta has ended until the next starts.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Well bleh. As I recall, there is a HP in Verdant Brink that is only available after the meta has ended until the next starts.

It's possible to get up to the canopy without the choppers during daylight but unless you organise it no-one will ever join you...

• Options
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

It's possible to get up to the canopy without the choppers during daylight but unless you organise it no-one will ever join you...

It's also worth noting that T4 is not quite the same as doing the canopy bosses, which at the very least includes the Wyvern Matriarch that leads to the HP in question

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    What is the best way to get low level crafting mats as a lvl 80 character?

Specifically I mean stuff like cloth and other things that mobs drop.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    What is the best way to get low level crafting mats as a lvl 80 character?

Specifically I mean stuff like cloth and other things that mobs drop.

LS3 zones. They drop items that can be salvaged into a random tier material of the appropriate type.

If you have a specific one in mind, sometimes people target a zone where the loot bags for the zone drop the specific tier they're after but I don't know if that's as efficient as the LS3 zones now.

Finally, there's the ever present option of just making a lot of money your preferred way and then buying the stuff off the trading post.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Say, since spvp can reward ascended gear, is it a viable avenue to a set of ascended armor if you don't pvp a lot?

Feldorn on
  • Options
    Say, since spvp can reward ascended gear, is it a viable avenue to a set of ascended armor if you don't pvp a lot?

What's your definition of viable? I'm pretty sure it'd be faster to boost crafting up to 500 from 0 and craft the armor than to pvp for it sporadically.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Well, if I did 10 matches per week throughout the season, is what I'm wondering.

I guess I'll try it next season. Or is season 5 still going?

I suppose I should just TP baron my way to ascended gear, but I usually find that rather unfun.

• Options
    Well, if I did 10 matches per week throughout the season, is what I'm wondering.

I guess I'll try it next season. Or is season 5 still going?

I suppose I should just TP baron my way to ascended gear, but I usually find that rather unfun.

Outside of the collection quests for elite specs, the fastest way to get ascended armor and weapons are going to be crafting and running fractals. The latter especially speeds up as you go up in tiers as you get more ascended gear to slot more Agony Resistance in. On top of that, monetary rewards from fractals make buying materials needed to craft easier. That said, the fractal lobby itself has a vendor for ascended gear that takes currency, fractal drops, and gold. It's more expensive than crafting would be, but it's a reliable option for people with no crafting.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Oh, I have everything but artificer at 500, and a stock of ascended materials that could make me a few pieces. I was just looking at other methods to try and weigh opportunity cost ;)

Like farm chest and legs somewhere and craft the rest. I'm only at 50 AR, so I can't go too high in fractals yet. Before I stopped I was trying to get my accessories infused and attuned.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Do the achievements that reward a choosable piece, and get the chests from there. They're the super expensive ones.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Oh, I have everything but artificer at 500, and a stock of ascended materials that could make me a few pieces. I was just looking at other methods to try and weigh opportunity cost ;)

Like farm chest and legs somewhere and craft the rest. I'm only at 50 AR, so I can't go too high in fractals yet. Before I stopped I was trying to get my accessories infused and attuned.

You can do most of the tier 2 fractals which is plenty to get started and the drops/currency for the vendor as well as a chance for the ascended armor/weapon boxes that randomly drop. You're not going to be able to farm for specific pieces per se as the vendor charges more for the bigger pieces but as Corrigan mentioned there are a few achievements that can aware an ascended armor box that aren't too difficult to do.

If you have LS2 and were already working on the shiny glowy armor collection, that awards a box on completion but that's not the fastest process to do, just easy to do since people already hit the Silverwastes for money. The Leystone armor collection from the expansion is much easier to do, especially since some of the later story quests reward a box of that armor so you don't have to purchase it all.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    Do note that at their current prices buying ascended stuff from the fractal vendors is considerably more expensive than crafting it:
    Crafting ascended boots = ~60g
    Buying boot box from fractal vendor = 56g + ~59g of matrices = ~115g

And as matrices can be traded for encryption keys, which have a cost 0.30g each, they will never dip much below 0.30g if at all.

They need to slash the raw gold cost on the ascended boxes from the vendors, or preferably remove the matrices entirely and tie them to a time gate like pristines (with a gold cost attached). This would a) Allow lower tier players to slowly make their way toward an ascended set as they do their daily fractals, and b) Give the high tier veteran fractal players something to do with their pristines.

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I'm just glad I have whatever gear is below ascended and never have to worry about gear ever again, because fuck I hate acquiring gear and grinding and leveling in MMOs. I just want to enjoy the story and combat without all the dumb bullshit getting in my way

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    @Steel Angel I think I already did the luminous armor collection. Haven't finished leystone yet. Guess I'll keep rolling t2 fractals to fund them. I don't expect to ever pull an ascended box from a t2 reward chest though.

I finished LS2 and all achievements.

• Options
    "Steel Angel" I think I already did the luminous armor collection. Haven't finished leystone yet. Guess I'll keep rolling t2 fractals to fund them. I don't expect to ever pull an ascended box from a t2 reward chest though.

I finished LS2 and all achievements.

It happens. It's really uncommon compared to a t3 or t3 reward box, but it does happen. Heck, my first was from a t1 reward box that dropped a weapon box.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Yea, I've crafted my helm, chest came from a pvp reward chest, legs from luminous collection.

I'll just bunker down and start farming to craft it.

Btw, is farming the opening of the grawl fractal still the best way to get condensed mist essence for infusing rings? I've not gotten enough of the lower tiers to do that.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Do note that at their current prices buying ascended stuff from the fractal vendors is considerably more expensive than crafting it:

And as matrices can be traded for encryption keys, which have a cost 0.30g each, they will never dip much below 0.30g if at all.

They need to slash the raw gold cost on the ascended boxes from the vendors, or preferably remove the matrices entirely and tie them to a time gate like pristines (with a gold cost attached). This would a) Allow lower tier players to slowly make their way toward an ascended set as they do their daily fractals, and b) Give the high tier veteran fractal players something to do with their pristines.

Eh, I still feel like the cost of buying the boots makes sense, because crafting them is time-gated. It's a convenience thing.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    You can buy the time gated ascended crafting mats from the TP and you will still be saving a bucket of gold over buying from the vendor.

Btw, is farming the opening of the grawl fractal still the best way to get condensed mist essence for infusing rings? I've not gotten enough of the lower tiers to do that.

Yup. That's how I got 90% of the ones I needed.

• Options
    Yea, I've crafted my helm, chest came from a pvp reward chest, legs from luminous collection.

You can break down higher tiers in the mystic forge but there's now also a vendor inside the lobby that sells essences for currency and/or matrices.

Steam Profile
  • Options

You can break down higher tiers in the mystic forge but there's now also a vendor inside the lobby that sells essences for currency and/or matrices.

Yea, I don't have any too dismantle and they seem pretty expensive from the vendor.

I'll try and start a farm group.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I played a bit of GW1 and decided to get into this game. My character's name is CavilatRest (Guardian). How do I join up?

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    I played a bit of GW1 and decided to get into this game. My character's name is CavilatRest (Guardian). How do I join up?

Invite sent! Welcome :)

• Options
    edited February 2017
    https://feedback.guildwars2.com/en

For those who still sPvP now and again, there is a feedback poll asking about locking your profession for spvp matches.

A Yes vote Would lock the profession choice when you join the match, preventing any swapping once you zone in (swapping to another character will no longer force that character into the pvp match from what I can tell) This would allow them to use Profession-specific MMR and have leaderboards for each profession, but would likely result in longer queues and give no respite should you find out that the team comp is bad.

A No vote would lock professions once the final 10 sec countdown to match start begins. This is to prevent players from swapping professions at the last minute for dailies and other achievements. Basically what it is today in terms of match joining and comp.

Right now No is winning, but the differential is less than 3%, so if you care one way or another, you're vote will likely make a difference.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fractal pugs seem to do fairly well at t2, but not so much t3, since I came back.

Guess that's something that hasn't changed.

• Options

Well how about that, prices of vendor bought ascended equipment being changed. Which will give a small costs saving over regular crafting but will be time gated via game mode specific currencies. Sounds pretty much like what I wanted :biggrin:
    • If you have PVP tokens left spend them before the patch as prices are going up.
    • Don't buy from the fractal vendor before the patch as prices are going to go down [not that you should use the vendor at current crazy prices].
    • Level your crafting to 500 so you craft whatever mcguffin is required to purchase the equipment alongside the gold and game mode specific currency [There is likely to be short lived spike in crafting mats as people power level crafting after the patch]. Use this tool to get yourself there with minimal effort/cost.

Also, balance patch next Wednesday - unless they goofed on the date it might be a Wednesday patch because Monday is Presidents Day in the US. I'd like to optimistic but as someone who's played rev and necro 99% of the time since HoT I am not holding out much hope. Give me back my minions and make condi rev not suck please.

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Well how about that, prices of vendor bought ascended equipment being changed. Which will give a small costs saving over regular crafting but will be time gated via game mode specific currencies. Sounds pretty much like what I wanted :biggrin:
    • If you have PVP tokens left spend them before the patch as prices are going up.
    • Don't buy from the fractal vendor before the patch as prices are going to go down [not that you should use the vendor at current crazy prices].
    • Level your crafting to 500 so you craft whatever mcguffin is required to purchase the equipment alongside the gold and game mode specific currency [There is likely to be short lived spike in crafting mats as people power level crafting after the patch]. Use this tool to get yourself there with minimal effort/cost.

Also, balance patch next Wednesday - unless they goofed on the date it might be a Wednesday patch because Monday is Presidents Day in the US. I'd like to optimistic but as someone who's played rev and necro 99% of the time since HoT I am not holding out much hope. Give me back my minions and make condi rev not suck please.
    Current speculation Is that thieves will get another DPS buff and revenants will get alacrity on ventari.

naengwen on
  • Options
    Fractal pugs seem to do fairly well at t2, but not so much t3, since I came back.

It evens out again at t4 when people have gained experience while the bads have given up though occasionally you get someone who got carried all the way there having trouble on the tougher ones (Bloomhunger, Snowblind revamps).

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Good thing I saw this, just went and got some light boots and shoulders with the glory shards I got from the spvp season. Was saving them for when I had enough for a complete set.

Medium would have been more cost effective, but since this puts me at 5/6 for my Ele, I figured it was worth it.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

It evens out again at t4 when people have gained experience while the bads have given up though occasionally you get someone who got carried all the way there having trouble on the tougher ones (Bloomhunger, Snowblind revamps).

Wiped 5 times on volcanic before I logged off, 52. I need to craft my boots, which I'll do tomorrow. Then I just need to farm more AR. At 86 right now.

Also, looks like I won't bother with the next spvp season with the ascended reward changes.

• Options

Wiped 5 times on volcanic before I logged off, 52. I need to craft my boots, which I'll do tomorrow. Then I just need to farm more AR. At 86 right now.

Also, looks like I won't bother with the next spvp season with the ascended reward changes.

On the final boss, right? Volcanic I always make sure to bring something that blocks or reflects missiles as a wall or AoE effect for the final fight. IIRC every profession except Warrior has at least one, and except for Ele it's something you can slot in your weapon slot or your least-important-to-meta utility to drop right after you break the shield.

Personally gonna wait until I see what exactly "moderate discount" means before I swear off spvp seasons. That and if they're going to follow through with their original plan for new Legendary backpiece for spvp every year or so (and what happens to The Ascension in the meantime).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Frig, put in a new 1060 card today, and now I'm getting an occasional black screen crash. Usually, it happens when loading new textures, so it's making living story episodes really horrible. Checks of the tech support forums have countless black screens posts with almost no real solves. Gonna try and reseat and reinstall everything and hope it's not a new normal, because it really kills my soul to play through an already tedious LS episode that I'm doing just for cheevos only to have it crash partway through. =/

• Options
    Hope you get that fixed, the middle of the LS story is a slog but the final mission is so awesome, if only for Canach's constant snark and all the nods to
    Caudicus' Manor story and explore paths

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »

On the final boss, right? Volcanic I always make sure to bring something that blocks or reflects missiles as a wall or AoE effect for the final fight. IIRC every profession except Warrior has at least one, and except for Ele it's something you can slot in your weapon slot or your least-important-to-meta utility to drop right after you break the shield.

Personally gonna wait until I see what exactly "moderate discount" means before I swear off spvp seasons. That and if they're going to follow through with their original plan for new Legendary backpiece for spvp every year or so (and what happens to The Ascension in the meantime).

As a PS warrior, I was hoping the ele or thief would help out. They'd start dropping to the lave crawlers. I really feel like I should just run guardian.

This discussion has been closed.