As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boxing day! (punching stuff for fitness, not the holiday)

see317see317 Registered User regular
edited February 2017 in Help / Advice Forum
So, long story short, Doctor says I need to be more active if I don't want to die sooner than otherwise anticipated*.
In order to do this, I've joined a boxing club/gym that's nearby. Because it's easier for me to go work out when it's a class and when it's not a 45+ minute drive. Also motivation in the form of paying up front and not wanting that money to be spent on nothing.

Backstory done. Question time:

Any recomendations on bag gloves? I've got hand wraps, but hate the feeling of my fingers swimming in sweat, so something with ventilation might be good? Also, washable would be good because if tonight was any indication, they're going to be smelling ripe otherwise. I have no idea what a good price range is on gloves, but the gym sells the basic model for 50 bucks and their deluxe model for 99.

Second question: any good tutorials on putting the wraps on? I had help from one of the employees tonight, but even then they started getting loose halfway through the class. Kind of distracting, that.

Question the third: I thought I was good at punching, but my shoulders feel dead after a 1 hour class. Any at home exercises I could do to build this up a bit?

*To be clear, this was hyperbole on my part. Doctor did say I should get more active, but no mention of imminent death was made.

see317 on

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I'm coming at this from a Muay Thai background so my knowledge of gear and whatnot is slightly adjacent to pure boxing. With gloves you tend to get what you pay for. From my knowledge of brands, Twins, Fairtex, and Top Kings are great (but are all Muay Thai brands so I don't know if they make bag gloves), Hayabusa should be ok, Everlast you really have to watch because their entry level stuff can be pretty crap. I paid around 50 for my first pair of entry level Hayabusas and a hundred for my Twins which are A++

To keep gloves clean: air them out after every class. Basically never, ever, keep them closed up in your bag or your locker after you've used them. I've heard you can put them in the freezer for a while to kill bacteria but I haven't tried it. I wiped mine down for a while with those lysol disinfectant wipes but I was told this is bad for the leather. You can get things called glove dogs that help deodorize them.

There are approximately eleventy billion different ways to wrap your hands. Just check youtube for videos, practice, and find a method that feels most comfortable to you. I wrap mine thai style with a pretty thick pad over the knuckles and an open palm and I've never had them come loose. Boxing style is different and tends to cover more of the palm.

Shoulder exercises that we do in class: take small hand weights, 1-2 lbs (or more if you feel like it, but not too heavy). Rotate through the following exercises in 30sec intervals with no breaks. go through the whole thing at least twice

1. stick your arms out directly in front of you, lock your elbows, and do a 'milking the cow' motion moving your hands up and down purely from the shoulder
    2. palms facing forward, knuckles toward the sky, elbows pointing out to your sides, 'climbing the ladder'; one arm straight up, the other bent and holding the weight near your eye line, alternate raising and lowering your arms
    3. straight punches as fast as you can, but do not fully extend your arm/lock your elbow, and always make sure your hands go back to your face
    4. arms out to the side, palms facing down, elbows locked, flap your arms as fast as you can in a very tight motion
    5. bend at the waist so you're as close to 90 degrees as you can get, palms facing the floor, elbows locked, flap your arms as in #4

Shadowbox a lot. Not necessarily with hand weights, but just shadowbox every day even if it's only for a few minutes

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kgVnNAHLLM

The above is a good way to wrap your hands. I don't think there's any "perfect" way and I'm pretty sure everyone does it a bit different. The important thing is your wrist is wrapped and your knuckles are padded.

I've had a fine experience with my Everlast gloves but plan to eventually upgrade to Hayabusa since I've heard good things and mine are finally starting to wear out.

Ditto on the shadow boxing. It's entirely possible your shoulders are sore simply because you weren't using them as much as you thought and that's going to help you get used to the effort.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Question the third: I thought I was good at punching, but my shoulders feel dead after a 1 hour class. Any at home exercises I could do to build this up a bit?

Punches start at your feet and move through the hips and waist.
    Your upper body should mostly be as relaxed as possible.