As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

START TIME UPDATED PLEASE READ! WestinWorld: Pre-Pax Boardgame Night Showdown Extravaganza

LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
edited March 2017 in PAX East
Pre-Pax Boardgame night at the Westin Waterfront

WHAT: A coordinated meetup the night before PAX for anyone with board games, or anyone who wants to play boardgames. About 500-ish people usually attend.

WHERE: The "Galleria" exhibition hall in the basement of The Boston Westin Waterfront Hotel: 425 Summer Street.

WHEN: Thursday March 9 @ 5:00 PM until 2:00am

HOW: There is no formal game library. Attendees bring whatever games they like and a borrower-lender matchup system is provided.

WHO: Anybody who wants to come. You don't need badge. The Cookie Brigade will be there.

This event is ALL AGES!! It's also FREE! And there are NO SIGNUPS!!! Just show up and have a great time. Feel free to bring your spawn, but remember that PAXers have filthy, filthy mouths and your wee ones may be subject to some exciting new vocabulary.

RULES
THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE: The Westin gives us this space for free. They are not obligated to host us and we make every effort to be good guests. We negotiate this every year in exchange for a good bar and restaurant take. It will be a little inconvenient since we'll be pretty far away from the bar and restaurant. Even so, please make every effort to purchase from the Birch Bar for food and drink this evening and encourage your tablemates to do the same.

- Please don't be an egregious douchebag. For example, one year in Seattle, some guy decided it would be a great idea to vape in the ballroom and the hotel manager came and had an unpleasant chat with me about it. This isn't your buddy's garage man cave, please act appropriately. We pride ourselves on being a responsible, self-policing community, so if you see someone acting inappropriately (smoking, vandalizing or just being a dick), it's a good idea to nicely recommend they knock it the fuck off before management does.

- This year, we're going to add political arguments to the "don't be a dick" rule. If discussions at your table get heated, DROP IT. If your argument is emotional enough to get loud or disrupt the game or neighboring tables, you may be asked to leave. This isn't the place: take a break from all that shit for the night. We're all gamers here.

- Be Excellent to each other. We freaks and geeks can be a socially maladroit group, so if someone is shyly lurking by your table, invite them to join. Be patient, be nice. Please don't flip your table.

Food and Drink

DRINKS
- There will be a bar downstairs.
- Drinks can be ordered from the Birch Bar upstairs and taken downstairs.
- NO DRINKS CAN BE TAKEN OUTSIDE OF MJ O'Connor's. Please do not order drinks for takeout from them. (Their restaurant license is separate from the Westin and takeout cocktails are illegal).
- No outside boozes. Just don't.

FOOD
- There will be no table service.
- Food can be ordered from the Birch Bar upstairs. Please make every effort to order from them - I know it's pricey but it's how we pay for this space.
- The Westin has updated their food policy and there will be no outside food allowed this year (sorry, it was a last minute change).
- The Cookie Brigade will have a table for dropoff and donations

HOW IT WORKS
1. The Cookie Brigade will be staffing the info table. Additional volunteer staffers are always needed, so step up if you want to take a shift for an hour or two that evening!
2. If you've got a game and are looking for players, put the box top of the game vertically on your table. This is the universal sign for "I don't care who you are, please join us"
3. If you're looking to join a game, look for vertical box tops.
4. We will have a hosted checkout system at the info table. You can drop off games to loan or borrow games there. If you're dropping off, I recommend doing this:
fpw9gvslxm9p.jpg

Weekend Gaming
The Mezzanine will not be open for weekend gaming this year Instead, we have a meeting room that seats about 60 people in the back of the hotel (by the pool) accessible from the mezzanine. It will be open 24 hours all weekend and the tables will remain up through Sunday night/Monday morning. We'll make sure there's signage on the mezzanine that directs people back to the gaming room.

Never Been? Here's what you should know:
Pre-PAX Game Night at the Westin has been a tradition for 5+ years at East. At its largest in 2014, Four Hundred seats were filled to bursting with boardgames of all sorts, and the event is one of the only all-ages, free-to-attend activities on Thursday night. Renting this space is cost prohibitive, so we've successfully negotiated with the hotels to give us space for free every year (no small feat).

You don't have to pay to get in, it's open to the public, all-ages, and people are really nice. It's a great way to come and kick off PAX with a massive group of friendly, like-minded PAXers and the selection of boardgames is mindblowing. You can bring your own, or find someone to borrow a game from. There is no central game library but lots of people bring private collections to loan out during the event while other folks prefer to set up a single game ahead of time that they bring. It's very free-form and is a completely volunteer, community run event.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
LexiconGrrl on

• robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    So glad this is happening this year. Thank for being the contact on this. The Westin is amazing for always being so accommodating. I was very much looking forward to this last year and I will absolutely be attending again. I'll share my game list closer to March.

6pq9je4.png
  • jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Thank you so much!!!!! I was afraid this wasn't happening this year! It's nice that this event will be able to be brought together easier than previous years. Can't wait to be there!

• nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    So glad to see this thread. The real kickoff to Pax for me. As always nice to see the westin is accommodating.

• XenigmaXenigma Registered User regular
    Don't know if this has anything to do with the Board Game Night crew, but since it was in the same room last year, any word on Johann Sebastian Joust returning?

Pins? Pins!
    PAX East Attendee since 2011
  • imnotalawyerimnotalawyer Registered User regular
    Hooray!

Any word on whether the hotel will have us set up in the ballroom-esque space (like last year) or if they will permit us to clog up the lobby and mezzanine like the good old glory days?

faPgNTD
  • craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    Hooray!

Any word on whether the hotel will have us set up in the ballroom-esque space (like last year) or if they will permit us to clog up the lobby and mezzanine like the good old glory days?

I think that will depend on whether the space has been booked or not. Last year other companies had booked out the restaurant and lobby space leaving the basement area as the only option. Personally I really enjoyed it downstairs. I felt we had more space (especially for Joust!)

DXLJjjr.png
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    Oh hell yes. I'm already super-hype! As a reminder, for those who plan to booze it up, remember that buying your drinks from the hotel goes a long way to keeping us in their good graces!

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • RedK232RedK232 Registered User regular
    Where in the Westin would this be at?. Might be doing the pre-pax dinner and once that is over head over to the westin for this :). If i can do both gonna be a good thursday.

xhdr64jir3c2.png
    Yeah, I love that basement area last year. Huge space.

6pq9je4.png
  • VermillionDeVermillionDe Registered User regular
    LexiconGrrl, I owe you a game of Drunk Quest this year. I was lucky enough to get a room at the Westin so unless I get stuck at work or hit by a bus or something I'll have exactly zero excuses to not go.

• kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    Excellent! I shall be there along with the PAX Forum badges :)

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    Great news, our group had a blast there last year so we're looking forward to participating again this year.

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    SOOO happy to see this. I was getting mighty nervous.

Thank you Lexi!!

npyymaqh3gup.png
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Just for the record, I'm not going to be there. I'm working with a couple of folks who have volunteered to run the event but if we run into any issues I might put out an all-call for helpers on this thread.

For the rest of the questions, more info will be forthcoming as we get it.

• DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    @LexiconGrrl we'll miss you! Thank you for always coordinating this! It's not only been a favorite part of every PAXEast experience, but has helped me make so many new friends each year!

5I7JEDi.png
    @LexiconGrrl Same here as with @Direwolf . Last year was my first PAX and I cannot imagine a better introduction than being able to hang out with everyone and play the board games I love and a lot of new games as well. It was a really fantastic experience for me and I made so many new friends as well. Thank you!

6pq9je4.png
  • RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    So I guess asking for a herring tasting plate would probably not work then? :(

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Hooray!

I actually like the ballroom setup better than the mezzanine. It felt like a lot more room and it was much easier to browse what others were playing. I'm fine with whichever. Here's to hoping I can make it again, and thanks for organizing this. You people are the proverbial shiznit.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    1. We need helper(s) for this event. PM me if interested. I'm a little slow to respond but will get there eventually.

2. We don't get much say so in where they put us. I know everybody liked the Ballroom but please remember that this isn't the kind of event where we can request a certain area. We get what they give us.

Rhiley wrote: »
    So I guess asking for a herring tasting plate would probably not work then? :(

Har har har.

• gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I'm so late to the party on this but YAY ITS BACK!!

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • FastrFastr Registered User regular
    After last year I had kind of resigned myself to this not happening.. glad I was wrong! Can't wait!

Hey all, we got the downstairs ballroom again.

Also, the upstairs mezzanine won't be set up with rounds for the weekend - this is the first time that space has been reserved. Instead, Sauciety will be open for gaming all weekend after they're done with breakfast service each day, until 2am each night. We're still working out the specifics but I'm hoping that there will be signage at the skybridge directing people downstairs on Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

If anybody is bringing Joust, let me know so that I can estimate how much space & outlets we need to set aside. @LtHummus
    RedK232 wrote: »
    Where in the Westin would this be at?. Might be doing the pre-pax dinner and once that is over head over to the westin for this :). If i can do both gonna be a good thursday.
    Many people have a tradition of coming over to game after the dinner so you'd be in good company. We tend to see waves of folks come in after other events, since this one goes pretty late. A bunch of folks come over after dinner, and then a bunch more as they hit their limit on the bar crawl.

• kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    I have decided to bring my copy of Inis It's a tactical area control game for four players. I'll be at the even from around 7:30ish after the Pre PAX Dinner.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• gacbmmmlgacbmmml Registered User regular
    I'll bring Secret Hitler and Hanabi.

I'll bring Betrayal at the House on the Hill w/ Widow's Walk expansion and Dead of Winter w/ The Long Night expansion. I have Karmaka, Resistance, Exploding Kittens, Cards Against Humanity and several more, but I'll likely only bring them if I'm staying at the Westin. Still finalizing plans and I'll update my game list the week before PAX.

6pq9je4.png
  • LejicLejic Registered User regular
    robirex wrote: »
    I'll bring Betrayal at the House on the Hill w/ Widow's Walk expansion and Dead of Winter w/ The Long Night expansion. I have Karmaka, Resistance, Exploding Kittens, Cards Against Humanity and several more, but I'll likely only bring them if I'm staying at the Westin. Still finalizing plans and I'll update my game list the week before PAX.

Sounds like a great list. :)

I'm dying to play DoW, never have. I'm hoping I'll get a chance!

Lejic wrote: »

Yeah, definitely reach out to me when we get closer to PAX so we can find each other. I'm down for a game. The Long Night expansion is really cool too.

6pq9je4.png
  • LejicLejic Registered User regular
    Lejic wrote: »

Yeah, definitely reach out to me when we get closer to PAX so we can find each other. I'm down for a game. The Long Night expansion is really cool too.

Will do, thanks! :)

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I'm going to try to make it this year. If I do, I really really need to play Betrayal at House on the Hill. I own a copy and no one I know has wanted to play because there are too many rules.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I'm going to try to make it this year. If I do, I really really need to play Betrayal at House on the Hill. I own a copy and no one I know has wanted to play because there are too many rules.

I'm totally down to play. I love that game. I just played one of the endings from the expansion a couple months ago and it was crazy. Awesome game. Rules approach is similar to D&D, if you can't find it quickly then do what makes sense and look up the rule after the game is done and let everyone know.

6pq9je4.png
  • brtyleighbrtyleigh Registered User new member
    Do you need any more volunteers for this? We've come every year and it's a great event! Would love to help out/contribute instead of mooching one of these years

• InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    !!!!!! My group would totes be there with you! We play it on Table Top Simulator all the time so that would be awesome!

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
    brtyleigh wrote: »
    Do you need any more volunteers for this? We've come every year and it's a great event! Would love to help out/contribute instead of mooching one of these years

Yeah - I'll send you a PM. Thanks!

• masamunemasamune Registered User new member
    I'm staying at the Westin so this is great news. I thought another friend was going to be coming as well but they bailed out so this sounds like a much better plan than drinking alone in my room!

• EL_Limon_CubanoEL_Limon_Cubano Boston, MARegistered User regular
    A lot of games we would love to try. We usually have to stick to two player games.

Also, anyone planning on playing MTG @ Westin?

drhmrzipmoio.png
  • Zap-RoboZap-Robo This Space Intentionally Left Blank Youngstown, OHRegistered User regular
    I honestly try and attend this every year, and always fail and get sidetracked by something else! This year though, this might be my year...

Andy "Zap-Robo" Barber
    Editor in Chief @ www.mmo-central.com
  • ogbaogba Registered User regular
    Anyone bringing a nintendo switch? I got bomberman, would love to do some bomberman lan

IMPORTANT!!! We need a helper to set up. It means arriving at 3:00, checking in with hotel staff, setting out the signs and setting up the room, them staffing the info table until 5:00 or so when the cookie brigade can take over. If you can do it, please send me a PM.

• DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Also, anyone planning on playing MTG @ Westin?
    I'm in the process of learning EDH if you have any interest in kicking my butt.

5I7JEDi.png