As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can my tutor do that?

NimaNima Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
My personal tutor has banned me from doing the usual 4 modules per semester and is restricting me to 3 on the basis that I have OCD.

Can he do that?
I found this really upsetting as it seemed to me he was discriminating on the basis of my anxiety disorder.
I told him repeatedly that it was really my decision to make (whether I felt the OCD was interfering with my studies), not his, and tried to explain why his decision was unfair. His answer was that this was just my opinion of his ruling- he wont change his mind despite my best arguments.

Is this discrimination? Can I do anything about it?
Basically, his restricting of my modules means it's going to take me longer to finish uni, and I'm already a few years older than my class mates - I am not thrilled.

Nima on

• Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    It depends on your university's rules, probably. If you told us which university someone might do the googling necessary to figure this out for you.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is the personal tutor assigned through the university?

Your tutor knows your abilities probably more than you give him credit for. And it doesn't sound like he's "banning" you, just restricting you to take 3 instead of 4.

We don't know his motivations, or your history (or his), but if you've gotten mediocre grades in the past semester or two and he's a university-assigned/affiliated tutor, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he has some pull regarding restricting the number of classes you can take.

As for discrimination, probably not -- you have an anxiety disorder that affects learning. He's your tutor, who helps you learn.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Take it to the higher-ups. My girlfriend is a peer-advisor and I've done some peer-tutoring before and you always have to report to someone in the university.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.