As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[13th Age West Marches] The Adventurers' Guild Thread: Character Creation and Discussion

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    AfinGSZ.png

Taneli, Half-Elf Fighter/Wizard

Born to a caravan guard and his merchant wife, Taneli was raised on the road and in the cities, fighting thieves and monsters practically from birth. While his family eventually settled in to small-town life, Taneli spent his savings on tuition at Wizard's College. Taneli quickly learned that, as much as he loved magic, he absolutely loathes wizards, and college. Escaping his peers, he hid himself ever deeper in the depths of the library, finding rotting tomes of seemingly lost and forbidden powers. Treatise on summoning The Demoniac, consulting The Runes, pacts with the Banished... Taneli may come to regret his dabbling in the occult; the visions in his dreams and the whispers in his ear, but, what is life if not a series of mistakes?

A few things on your story...

The town of Havenhold and its people have been separated from outside contact for generations after some terrible event destroyed the world at the end of the Time of Ages. Even the bandits that plague the areas close to town can tract their family trees to Havenhold. Trading with other towns isn't a thing because no one knows where or if there are other towns.... And Colleges wouldn't be a thing in a town like Havenhold. They might have teachers like the Librarian, the shadowy cults of the Demoniac, or some magically inclined folks who are willing to train a few souls every now and then, but large Skyrim like Colleges wouldn't exist in town.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    bfimiq7ytxzq.jpg

Valdo, Aasimar Paladin

With the shattering of an elderly farmer's pint of ale, Valdo's tale of heroism begins. Having been jostled by two rushing men, the young paladin regains his footing, and gives the now empty doorway a confused frown.

A tall lad, pale as the moon with raven hair, Valdo Sickleson could almost pass for handsome, if a little doey, though he doesn't yet look right with an axe on his back--as though he's carrying it for some older, harder fellow to make use of.

Having been raised in the woods by his dear old ma, a witch of some repute long since exiled from the town, he's on edge, working doubly hard to appear upright and worthy of what he is about to attempt; to become a respected adventurer, and more than that, a hero!

"Oh bother, I humbly apologise sir. I'll fetch you a new one..." he croaks.

The old timer waves him away, paying Valdo little mind.

"Err... one of whatever I just knocked off that table, if you please, and I'll have the same."

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    A few things on your story...

The town of Havenhold and its people have been separated from outside contact for generations after some terrible event destroyed the world at the end of the Time of Ages. Even the bandits that plague the areas close to town can tract their family trees to Havenhold. Trading with other towns isn't a thing because no one knows where or if there are other towns.... And Colleges wouldn't be a thing in a town like Havenhold. They might have teachers like the Librarian, the shadowy cults of the Demoniac, or some magically inclined folks who are willing to train a few souls every now and then, but large Skyrim like Colleges wouldn't exist in town.

Oh shit, I missed all that somehow. Woops.

Born to a mercenary guard and his merchant wife, Taneli was raised on the road and in the city, fighting thieves and monsters practically from birth. He was fascinated by magic at a young age, but the teachings of The Librarian were too strict for a boy suffering wanderlust as Taneli did. While his family wanted him to take up a stable, less deadly career, Taneli spent his time as a courier and armed guard for expeditions out of town. He steered clear of the well playing jobs from The Boss out of principal, causing him to be one of a small few to be trusted by the merchants of Havenhold. This trust brought him access to the books and relics that The Librarian wouldn't dare buy, the old tomes hidden behind the pawn shop's counter, and the rotting grimoires dug up from unmarked graves. Treatise on summoning The Demoniac, consulting The Runes, pacts with the Banished... Taneli may come to regret his dabbling in the occult; the visions in his dreams and the whispers in his ear, but, what is life if not a series of mistakes?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    Taneli - Half-Elf Swordmage

Asleep in the corner, Taneli is jostled awake by cracking sound of a skull hitting stone, splattering some horrible ichor across the floor. Blinking once or twice he leans forward to see ale wasted on floor, not lifeblood. He scans the room to see a baby-faced fellow in cheap armor with an embarrassed look about his face. Taneli wipes the evidence of sleep from his eyes and runs a hand through his hair.

"Excuse me, good ser knight," the half-elf says with a respectful flourish to Valdo. "I'm afraid I haven't had the chance to meet you," he says with a smile, "and I aim myself to know everyone of import in Havenhold".

"I am called Taneli," he bows slightly, and raises a hand to his shoulder, where a rather strange and chunky bird appears to climb up his back and into Taneli's waiting palm. "And this is Galo."

Galo regards you cautiously before extending his neck and peering deeply into your eyes, seemingly looking for something. Suddenly, he begins to yawn and roosts himself on Taneli's shoulder, his glassy eyes closing and returning to slumber. The half-elf smiles and awaits your reply.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I'm looking at making a Commander from here:
    http://www.13thagesrd.com/
    Is everything on this site in the core rules described in the OP?

• Options
    Valdo - Aasimar Paladin

Well that's because I'm not very important, thinks Valdo.

"Well met, Taneli, I am Valdo Sickleson," the lad states, holding his voice surprisingly well, and flashing a winning smile of his own, "Ser Valdo Sickleson. I was... schooled privately... just outside the borders of this fair town, and left it to train alongside an honoured knight for many a year, and now I have returned to defend my home from all harm."

"That is a clever bird you've got," Valdo beams, falling into a more local accent, "My old mum keeps crows, as point of fact."

Valdo claims his own drink and with a reverent gentleness places the old man's replacement in front of him.

• Options
    BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d6 for gold

gold:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]

Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    I'm looking at making a Commander from here:
    http://www.13thagesrd.com/
    Is everything on this site in the core rules described in the OP?

I think so? Though there is def a lot missing from the srd I gather.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Varg Yagha - Half-orc Rogue
    dbe7a5273d4e63f95bbe6e0f00668700.jpg

Name : Varg Yagha
    Race: Half-orc
    Class: Rogue
    Level: 1

Str: 13 (+1)
    Dex: 16 (+3)
    Con: 10 (0)
    Int: 8 (-1)
    Wis: 8 (-1)
    Cha: 9 (-1)

AC: 13
    PD: 14
    MD: 10

HP: 24/24 (Incremental Advance)
    Recoveries: 8/8

One Unique Thing: Semi-feral child turned street rat.

Icon Relationships:
    The Boss ~1
    The Dryad +1
    The Barkeep ~1

Backgrounds:
    Hooligan cutpurse +5
    Raised by Wolves +3

Racial Power: Lethal - Once per battle, reroll a melee attack and use the roll you prefer as the result.

Equipment:
    GP: 14gp
    Light Armor
    Many Daggers
    2 wicked knives
    Stolen music box
    Flint and tinder box
    Money pouch
    Pack
    Rain cloak
    Sleeping roll
    Water and wine skin
    Thieves Tools
    Iron crowbar
    Shortbow and arrows
    5 torches 5gp
    Rope and hook
    Pipeleaf
    Rations (14 uses)
    Blanket
    5 Iron spikes
    Small tent
    healing potion
    antidote to natural poisons

Potions
    Healing Potion
    1-time use item, quick action to use.
    Heal +1d8 health when you use one of your recoveries.

Antidote to Natural Poisons
    1-time use item, quick action to use.
    Remove any ongoing poison effects, gain +16 resistance to poison for 3 turns.

Basic Melee Att: +4 vs AC, hit 1d8+3, miss 1
    Basic Ranged Att: +4 vs AC, hit 1d4/6+3, miss 1

Powers
    Deadly thrust:
    Melee attack
    At-Will
    Target: One staggered non-mook enemy Attack: Dexterity + Strength + Level vs. AC Hit: WEAPON + Dexterity damage.
    Miss: Damage equal to your level.

Tumbling Strike:
    Melee attack
    At-Will
    Always: You gain a +5 bonus to all disengage checks you attempt
    this turn. You can also move to engage an enemy, make this attack against it, and then use a quick action to attempt to disengage from it (the quick action disengage lets you move again if you succeed).
    Attack: Dexterity + Level vs. AC Hit: WEAPON + Dexterity damage. Miss: Damage equal to your level.

Roll With It:
    Momentum power
    At-Will (once per round)
    Interrupt action; requires momentum
    Trigger: A melee attack that targets AC hits you. Effect: You take half damage from that attack.

Flying Blade:
    Ranged attack
    At-Will
    Special: You must use a small bladed weapon with this attack. Target: One nearby creature
    Attack: Dexterity + Level vs. AC
    Hit: WEAPON + Dexterity damage, and if your natural attack
    roll is even and one of your allies is engaged with the target,
    you can use your Sneak Attack damage for the round. Miss: Damage equal to your level.

Class Features
    Momentum: Many of the rogue’s powers function only when the rogue has momentum.
    You gain momentum by hitting an enemy with an attack. You lose momentum when you are hit by an attack.
    The default is that you can use momentum powers without
    losing momentum, but a few powers specify that you must spend your momentum to use them. You don’t have to use attacks that require momentum against the foe you hit to gain that momentum.
    Momentum powers that do not require you to spend your momentum are generally classified as interrupt actions. You can only use one interrupt action a round, which keeps your momentum powers from dominating the battle.

Sneak Attack: Once per round when you make a rogue melee weapon attack against an enemy engaged with one or more of your allies, you can deal +1d4 damage if your attack hits.

Trap Sense: Even rogues whose backgrounds don’t have anything to do with noticing, avoiding, or disarming traps have a unique knack for dealing with traps.
    If a rogue’s skill check involving a trap is a natural even failure, the rogue can reroll the skill check once. If a trap’s attack roll against a rogue is a natural odd roll, the rogue can force the trap to reroll the attack once.

Talents
    Improved Sneak Attack: Your Sneak Attack damage is better than other rogues. Use the following Sneak Attack bonus damage progression instead.
    1st level rogue +1d6 damage.
    2nd level rogue +1d8 damage.
    4th level rogue +2d8 damage.
    6th level rogue +3d8 damage.
    8th level rogue +5d8 damage.
    10th level rogue +7d8 damage.

Murderous: Against staggered enemies, your crit range with rogue attacks expands by 2.

Tumble: You gain a +5 bonus to disengage checks. In addition, while you are moving, if an enemy moves to intercept you, you can make one disengage check per intercepting enemy as a free action to avoid that enemy, but you must stop the first time you fail any of those disengage checks.

Feats
    Murderous Adventurer Feat: You gain a +2 attack bonus against staggered enemies.

Incremental Advances:
    1) Level 2 HP (+6HP, 24/24)

History
    The youngest child of a large family starving on the outskirts of town, Varg was left to his own devices for most of his childhood. Unable to help his family as a hunter or a pickpocket, he was kicked out to make it on his own at the ripe old age of 14.
    Copying his role model Sagur, Varg has chosen to leave behind an unimpressive career as a thief, to see if a life adventuring will prove more lucrative.

Boozer on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    ismlsk5q6j12.gif

August makes his way up to the bar in a bit of a hustle. He pulls back his hood and plops a heavy hand on Valdo's shoulder. "Oy, Val -- somethins up. Mine Boys are working their way south, someone's knicked something big from The Boss. No way those boys know those woods as good as we do, my money is on we can get ahead of them...." He chews the bit of razorgrass to the otherside of his mouth. "Who's your friend here?" obviously talking about Taneli. "They comin' with?"

He takes a second to think. "Oh... and anyone seen Varg around? If anyone might have a inkling of thevin' and pissin the Boss off it'd be him."

@Endless_Serpents @boozer @Carnarvon

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Valdo - Aasimar Paladin

"Hellfire Gust! They'll not have a clue, not the way, not the care needed... dealing with the forest."

Valdo downs his pint and slams the glass on the bar.

"I'm saddened our introductions shall be short lived Taneli, but I must see those men are returned to safety, and that any theft is duly punished!", the lad's voice cracks on punished, but overall Valdo is quite pleased with his pre-quest boast, it's just the sort of thing you do. "Unless you intend to join us?"

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Varg Yagha - Half Orc Rogue

"Oy Auggie. Still runnin' with dem scouts?" The lanky half orc said to the ranger. Varg was no stranger to the woodlands himself, though never cut out to make his living there.

"I ain't pissed off da Boss. Dat would be stupid, and I uh... ain't. I'm just freelancing now, it's where the real coin is." He nodded sagely.

"Speaking of which. I heard a little something about this Mine business of yours. And you got it all wrong. What's that worth to you lot?" The thief smiled greedily, quickly downing the unfinished drink he had nicked from the table the Mine boys had left.
    Just an fyi Varg is no master of negotiations, just knows information has value. A couple compliments, a meal, and a fair cut of the profits and he'd be thrilled to spill his guts and/or join the quest.

Boozer on
  • Options
    au280ad42ccf.gif

"Crikes Varg... the hell did you come from? We're gonna have to put a bell on ya." He reaches back and puts his arm around both Varg and Val and motions for Taneli to come in a bit closer for the huddled conversation.

"Now listen fellas. Between what I heard and what Varg knows -- something is going down southwards. And I am not about to let a bunch of those shoe polish thugs galavant around OUR woods to get all those good people on the skirts messed up with city business."

August reaches into his belt pouch and produces a Gold Coin slamming it on the table. He makes a gesture to the Bar Keep who immediately picks up on the intention and with great skill produces four small shot glasses, fills them with a dark fluid from an unmarked ceramic jug and slides them down the bar in front of the group. August picks up one of the glasses and nods towards the rest of them.

"Whatever we find, and whatever we can get out of it -- we split four-ways -- even as a meat pie. Whatta ya'll say?"

• Options
    Taneli - Half-elf Swordmage

Taneli huddles in with three new people he's never met before. He joins the group seamlessly, interjecting with "mhmm," "of course," and "damn right!" as appropriate. Galo pokes his head out as well, nodding with and seemingly agreeing with Taneli. Seeing August pour the shots, the half-elf produces a small, pickled fish from a pouch, dips it in the shot, and feeds it to his familiar. Taneli follows up by taking the shot himself.

Completely unfazed by the liquor, he offers handshakes to August and Varg. "To good business. I'm Taneli, by the way; it's a pleasure".

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Geth roll 1d6 for Gold

Although I've just made a Holy One Commander/Paladin, and have probably ripped of Valdo (although I can't access his character sheet to check).
    @Endless_Serpents how did you build your Paladin?

(Guile)

Gold:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]

discrider on
  • Options
    Awesome. We currently have 9 adventurers so enough for two parties.

Pay attention to your rations and gear. It wouldn't matter much for now since we are so close to home but assume that the farther one travels the more you'll need. One ration lost each day. If you have no rations and can't get food from hunting, fishing, gathering, stealing, ECT. then you'll get two less recoveries each day.If you don't earn any recoveries due to starving, your character dies. Hunting, fishing, gathering, stealing, can result in you gaining resources that will be listed as rations. Rations is just going to be a catch-all term for "We got Food!!!"

Looks like @MagicPrime @Endless_Serpents @Boozer and @Carnarvon got a plan mostly together. Just let me know when you guys are ready to roll. Everyone else, you can group up if you want as I can and will run multiple adventures at once.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    discrider wrote: »
    Geth roll 1d6 for Gold

Although I've just made a Holy One Commander/Paladin, and have probably ripped of Valdo (although I can't access his character sheet to check).
    @Endless_Serpents how did you build your Paladin?

(Guile)

My character is a healer + brute force fighter at their core. I'm positive yours will be different thematically.

@Grunt's Ghosts
    I don't have any rations on me and I imagine Valdo isn't thinking about it right now, would being raised in the woods by a witch give me a bonus to gathering?

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Yeah, when you decide to camp or whatever, you can do a hunting/gathering roll to see if you can find things to eat and add any background you have towards the roll. Depending on the area, you'll have an easier or harder time getting food and water.

• Options
    I am ready to go whenever everyone else is.

• Options
    You guys are going south, right? Typing the adventurer OP right now.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Varg Yagha - Half Orc Rogue

The easy respect of August and Taneli, not the mention the promise of strong drink, put the half orc in an agreeable mood instantly. The rogue nodded, taking the shot and then shaking Taneli's hand. "Deal. Whew, dat's good stuff. " Varg said with a chip toothed smile. An even share was much more that he had ever gotten in his old life. This adventuring thing was already looking up.

Varg leaned in, whispering to the group. "I heard the thief took a key and ran North East. Some weird stone key that opens a door or something in the mines. If we can get our hands on it, I bet it's worth more than The Boss would pay for."
    Not sure why my rumor said North East and others heard South. Not sure if that's a mistake or we're meant to investigate. @Grunt's Ghosts

I forgot to buy rations I think. Once I recheck my equipment I should be good to go.

Boozer on
  • Options
    I didn't want to say anything at first, because everyone was told North East and MagicPrime got it mixed up and I wasn't going correction him. I was just going to let the group walk south and let them discover adventure, but not the thief. But I wanted to make sure before I got this OP started.

• Options
    ((That's my bad -- I don't know why I read south))

• Options
    I'm going to post these thread up. Brb.

• Options
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Will you add Shield the Cleric to that PbP thread? I've never done PbP before, so it would be fun to try it out here. And it seems like for now this is the only way the game is going to be played?

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I was going to limit group sizes to 4 people. However, if you wish to create a second group to start a different adventure, I will run that group through at the same time.

Edit: PbP is how I'm going to handle things right now because my internet is historically bad, but if I can find time, I plan on making a few Roll20 games when I can borrow my brother's internet now that he lives in town.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I've thrown a bit more gear on Valdo, just a flask and bedding really.

I'm really looking foreword to all this now, I'm waiting for the eventual crossing of parties as we pursue two separate goals.

A: Where are you lot off to?
    B: Zombie dragon! What about you?
    A: Ooze cultists!
    B: Drink later?
    A: Sounds like a plan.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    'Guile'

Legend has it that the Founders once collected everyone from a dying world, and deposited them here on the sole unaffected ground that has now become the city.
    Rumour also has it that the Founders think so highly of themselves that their heads float into the sky if you slap them hard enough.

Regardless, the Founders are the keepers of the Edge.
    Promising young men and women all are charged with keeping the town safe from that which lurks beyond.
    It's a stable job, provided for by the town out of necessity, it's just a matter of whether you can stomach or are willing to buy into their dogma.

'Guile' is one such promising individual.
    Having guarded the Edge for a couple of years, he has learned more about the outside world than most, or at least learned more about how to keep the outside world out.
    Living on a mantra of taking the hits so that others don't have to, 'Guile' has earned his name, not through the literal meaning, but through his tactic of simply charging anything brave enough to attempt the cross over.

However, with the increasing population of the town, it has become now necessary to not just watch the Edge, but to expand it or at least cross it.
    And as such, Guile is the pilot program of the Founders. The first of their recruits to take the fight to the surrounds.

Needless to say, being the gatekeepers runs the Founders afoul of the Exiles, but their history and job links them to the Guide also, as well being funded by the Captain.

discrider on
  • Options
    I have updated the OP with the story of Havenhold so far (basically what I said in the Discussion Thread) and the Icon Relationship Rolls and Token rules that replaces the core book Icon Relationship system. The new system is more smoother and gives the Relationship influences in the hands of the players instead of the GM.

• Options
    Icons write up is finally done on the OP. If you wish to change some of your relationships based on the new information, you are free to do so, including those already in an adventure.

• Options
    Rejigging the above.
    The Founders is now known as the Captain's Shield.

This border force devotes itself to maintaining the Edge so that Havenhold can continue.
    The less savoury characters around this force take this as leave to promote themselves amongst the town people, demanding better treatment because they make life livable. Such characters are easily swayed by the Boss.
    But for the most part, these guardians are, if not happy, at least devoted to their work, and are adequately compensated by the Captain for doing this service.

The elder guardsmen also have a friendly rapport with the Guide, and the current force still maintains good relations with the hunters that cross the wall each day.
    After all, a guide that needs covering fire from an angry bear one day, is the one leading you to a monster's lair the next.

That said, the guardsmen also receive training in tracking and woodcraft, so that they can keep pushing back the forest from the Edge.
    They also receive extensive military training in both tactics and facing down the horrors that lurk outside.

• Options
    You character might know mine. I went through training for the Guardsmen, then quit to join up with the Guide's crew after I won an archery contest. The Captain isn't exactly happy with me about that.

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Rolling stats for later

Geth, roll 6#4d6k3

Edit: That's pretty good. Thank you Geth

6#4d6k3 6 # 17 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 5], 1] 12 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 3], 2] 13 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 3], 2] 11 [4d6k3=[6, 3, 2], 2] 13 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 2], 2] 13 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 2], 2]

Hellbore on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Icons write up is finally done on the OP. If you wish to change some of your relationships based on the new information, you are free to do so, including those already in an adventure.

Awesome thanks. I think I'm going to change the guide good to the barkeep ambiguous once I get the chance to fix my sheet.

Boozer on
  • Options
    Is the other players wanting to adventure? I can run multiple groups, especially in PBP because it takes less than an hour or so for me to update a thread. Or we can talk about doing something faster like IRC or Roll20.

• Options
    Sure

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I want to play for sure, just waiting on a roll20 thing to hopefully come together.

• Options
    Ok, gather up the interested parties, talk among yourselves what things your character's know and what things are interesting to you, and set a course of action.

• Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I want to play for sure, just waiting on a roll20 thing to hopefully come together.

I sent you a private message; you should read it!