As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFRK] Orbfest and Fest banner 2 live! Purple Monkey Dishwasher.

• DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Jesus, and I thought my mage team was stacked. That team covers a bunch of roles I didn't even bother thinking of (Sentinel, for one).

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I just saw the animation for Sarah's BSB, damn that's some nostalgia feels.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Mmm, there's something super satisfying about setting up teams to run on Sundaily. Watching bars fill and numbers go up is civilization.

N.B. apparently Yuffie's Gauntlet only takes 10k EXP to master, despite being an SSB? I'm pretty sure I'd heard that in the past, but didn't make the connection. Oh well, a tad bit of wasted EXP.

silence1186 on
  • LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    Got back to 50 mythril and decided to do a pull, really only hoping for Fujin BSB. Two rainbows, Fujin jacket, and Fujin Chakram. Well that worked out. Hope you are off the mage team.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Saving for anniversary banners is torture. I've got 120 mythril burning a hole in my pocket.

edited February 2017
    Javen wrote: »
    Saving for anniversary banners is torture. I've got 120 mythril burning a hole in my pocket.

It's a little easier if you can look ahead at the amount you'll have. As of tonight, I'll be back up to 35 mythril. If I pull on the next Realm Lucky Draw (FF3, FF9, FFT is pretty good for me), and pull on each of the three Anniversary Lucky Draws, AND plan to spend 45 mythril refreshing during Orbfest, I'll still have 175 mythril at the start of the first Festival banner, and just over 200 by the fifth banner. So I can do the Ultros pull and up to four more pulls. Which means I can probably refresh more, or leave the fest with more than zero mythril.

And that's just with 35 today. If you've got 120, then you'll be over 250 under the same conditions at the start.

Rius on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »

It's a little easier if you can look ahead at the amount you'll have. As of tonight, I'll be back up to 35 mythril. If I pull on the next Realm Lucky Draw (FF3, FF9, FFT is pretty good for me), and pull on each of the three Anniversary Lucky Draws, AND plan to spend 45 mythril refreshing during Orbfest, I'll still have 175 mythril at the start of the first Festival banner, and just over 200 by the fifth banner. So I can do the Ultros pull and up to four more pulls. Which means I can probably refresh more, or leave the fest with more than zero mythril.

And that's just with 35 today. If you've got 120, then you'll be over 250 under the same conditions at the start.

Oh neat. So I don't need to worry about the fact that I want to pull on tonight's VIII banner.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »

So ~300 Mythril from now until Festa?

Jesus, that's a lot of mythril. I don't need to refresh during Orbfest, so that leaves me with nearly 300 mythril assuming I do the same pulls.

Now I'm seriously debating whether to do another 11-pull on Raijin/Fujin 1 in hopes of getting a BSB.

Everyone gets 75 mythil (25 from free gifts, 50 from magic pot) during the event, which is enough to cover the Lucky Draws anyway, so yeah it's quite a bit.

I'm hoarding, on the hopes that the anniversary banners end up being good, and also to save up for the more gamebreaking relics later.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I gotta stop putting these CM's off till the last minute.

I should also stop worrying about doing them period. I've managed to do them all so far. But the general theme is the same. Bring a team whose only real mitigation is a standard breakdown plus protect/shell. And even that barest minimum of mitigation still results in "FUCK YOUI!" levels of damage from the enemy. I really gotta stop paying it lip service, because it's just stupid game design period.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Most CMs that can't be cheesed do kind of require Wall to clear, or to have a really good healer BSB available. Also bear in mind I don't think you need to master most CMs to get the reward; just clear them.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Yeah, reddit usually puts up a strategy that hopefully lets you cheese past a CM, and I've used it for most of them. But it's just not flying with this one. The TGCid strat is said to bypass waves 2 and 3, but it's not for me. And I found a strat based around using OK, but it's also not working. Same problem for both, one AE does too much fucking damage.

2 earth orbs ain't worth my pride. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    2 of most major orbs just aren't worth it, Earth and White probably being the least in demand at any given time. You can farm up the equivalent of 2 major orbs in a single full day of the appropriate daily and usually luck out by earning much more than that.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

I'm creeping up on 100k greens, and I'm strongly considering just buying one so I can get up to an even 180 stamina.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    2 of most major orbs just aren't worth it, Earth and White probably being the least in demand at any given time. You can farm up the equivalent of 2 major orbs in a single full day of the appropriate daily and usually luck out by earning much more than that.

I actually need quite a few White majors, mostly to get Ultra Cure and Holy up, although I'm pretty sure there's something else too. E: Tiamat and Multibreak.

But that's probably because I've spent about 6 months of steadfastly ignoring Thursdailies in favor of just about everything else.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
    I'm creeping up on 100k greens, and I'm strongly considering just buying one so I can get up to an even 180 stamina.

We're in double greens month, so now's the time, if any.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    If you're still trying to do the FFI CM, I found it much easier to use Thunder God to kill Kraken + Tiamat rather than Marilith + Kraken. You lose the benefit of the Thunder God buff, but Marilith is a lot easier to mitigate: all of her magic is fire, so you can give everybody resistance via accessories, and you can survive her 6-hit combo with Gaia Cross/Draw Fire plus Defend. Especially if you've got the gear/hones to be able to afford to put Warrior of Light in the back row (I didn't).

Keep in mind my Mythril layout above assumes that we'll get exactly the same Anniversary content as JP, with all the various days and such in the same order and on the same timing. That's a reasonable bet, but a guess nonetheless.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    As an aside, make sure you have mythril going into the anniversary, since the 50 from the magic pot is after the 3 lucky draws.

Shouldn't be hard with how much they're throwing out there, but still.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So 4* mote strategy - is there anything to it other than "only bother for people you will use, so preference for people 80+, with BSB, and focus on unlocking abilities"?

With the usual exceptions for like...shout and Celes's SSB being included too.

Jragghen wrote: »
    So 4* mote strategy - is there anything to it other than "only bother for people you will use, so preference for people 80+, with BSB, and focus on unlocking abilities"?

I've only ever used 4* Motes on Onion Knight. They definitely seem like a "Hold until you absolutely need them" situation, especially considering we've gotten less than Japan has.

My priority list was physical team candidates, then mage team candidates as I started collecting more mage relics, then waifus/husbandos IF I got a neat relic for them.

The focus was on unlocking abilities first (except in the case of Vaan, as I unlocked his gun use for MP back row), only moving onto raw stats or % damage boosts if I was already capping damage (as was the case for Celes, who now hits about 20% harder with her C1/C2 than she does with Saint Cross due to the cap).

Right now I'm saving up to finish Y'shtola/Orlandeau, but I'll probably divert my Spirit/Wisdom motes to Quistis since she's nearly useless without diving.

People you'll actually use is obviously best, but also prioritize characters who learn extra abilities. Alphinaud for example becomes much more useful if you can record break him to BLM5, and Celes getting WHT4 makes her super useful.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

People you'll actually use is obviously best, but also prioritize characters who learn extra abilities. Alphinaud for example becomes much more useful if you can record break him to BLM5, and Celes getting WHT4 makes her super useful.

Yeah my criterion is who I love the most (usually ties in with relics), who would stand to gain the most from it (skills and bonus damage), then who makes my team often but doesn't hit one of the above categories.

So Terra is maxed for me, but so is OK because of how great the benefit it is. Krile and Celes both have their 4* abilities to help off load protectga and shellga. More than a few have one level investment to get a +3% damage. Definitely worth keeping in mind that it is tied to legend materia so going fully in is a pretty good idea if you have certain characters you truly love.

• biscuitbutt81biscuitbutt81 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    When do you want to use rms that increase limit break meter generation (like battleforged) over the ones that just increase damage (one-eyed general, etc.) on your dpsers on a physical team?

Like battleforged seems more appropiate for a meter-hungry character like tgcid who really starts to do massive amounts of damage when you combo from his osb into his bsb.

biscuitbutt81 on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Give Cid his thunder god RM, it lasts long enough to build 2 bars and cast his OSB.

steam_sig.png
    When do you want to use rms that increase limit break meter generation (like battleforged) over the ones that just increase damage (one-eyed general, etc.) on your dpsers on a physical team?

Like battleforged seems more appropiate for a character like tgcid who really starts to do massive amounts of damage when you combo from his osb into his bsb because that requires tons of meter!

for straight up boss fights I usually use the SB generating RMs, cause the earlier you can get those up, the better. For Torment dungeons I usually end up going for full on damage due to the massive amounts of defense that the bosses have, plus the trash should give you more than enough soul gauge by the time you get to the boss, especially if you're using lifesiphon or wrath.

Like battleforged seems more appropiate for a meter-hungry character like tgcid who really starts to do massive amounts of damage when you combo from his osb into his bsb.

If the character can Lifesiphon I use a damage RM, unless it's for a utility SB like Cleansing Strike that I want up as much as possible.

The exception is for Vaan, whose burst commands are fast enough to not need Lifesiphon, so I use damage or DMT/MM instead.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    A question for those of you who keep up with the Japanese version:

Between the 2nd Anniversary event and the latest FFX banner that introduces Rikku's USB, are there any banners (besides Cloud USB) that are extremely good and/or important for the meta?

IKknkhU.gif
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

Between the 2nd Anniversary event and the latest FFX banner that introduces Rikku's USB, are there any banners (besides Cloud USB) that are extremely good and/or important for the meta?

Honestly? I can't think of any. Certainly some interesting banners with good relics (the FF6 event with Celes' BSB2 for example) but in your own words, important for the meta? None that I can think of.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Darklyre wrote: »

If the character can Lifesiphon I use a damage RM, unless it's for a utility SB like Cleansing Strike that I want up as much as possible.

The exception is for Vaan, whose burst commands are fast enough to not need Lifesiphon, so I use damage or DMT/MM instead.

The math I saw awhile ago is that the damage RMs are usually better for straight up damage characters using regular damage SBs, but it becomes more complicated when the SBs provide utility. I don't think there was an obvious rule like there is with the stat softcaps.

I do know that the RMs that provide one SB charge are better than the battleforged and acestriker unless it will be a very long battle or you will be using something like wrath. Torments seem like places battleforged and acestriker shine more than Dr. Mogs and Mako Might, and I personally also use them often on my mages with BSBs that have support 4 for wrath.

Savant on
    edited February 2017

Not really. There are some really good relics here and there, and if you're looking for a specific character or subset (eg Beatrix/Garnet), some banners definitely worth targeting, but nothing really stacked. It's because with the OSBs for main characters gone, we're now into a few months of the headliner relics being mostly for mages, particularly white ones, and it's really hard for mage USB/OSBs to compete with the better flavors of BSB, so the value has to come from the lesser prizes on the banners, and, well... yeah. Even Cloud's banner is kind of not really remarkable at the bottom. It just contains 3 relics for breaking everything wide the fuck open which are each very powerful on their own at the top, which is a rarity.

The ones I'd say most worth targeting generally without any particular need for a specific effect or relic besides that are:

CoD2 (EVERYTHING for Onion Knight, and generally solid relics otherwise)
    OBeatrix1 (Medium to high quality relics all around focused on Beatrix/Garnet/Quina)
    USelphie1 (Squall's insane BSB2, Irvine hybrid breaking BSB, Irvine hyperbreak, two Selphie healy things, and Raijin's last stand)
    URelm1 (Relm's very good USB, both Celes BSBs, Mog's really good BSB)
    ULightning1 (one-stop shop for all good Raines/Lightning stuff, and Serah's hastega for mage parties if needed)

And obviously the 'Christmas' fest stuff, which is actually going to come before, or right alongside the last couple of those.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Not really. There are some really good relics here and there, and if you're looking for a specific character or subset (eg Beatrix/Garnet), some banners definitely worth targeting, but nothing really stacked. It's because with the OSBs for main characters gone, we're now into a few months of the headliner relics being mostly for mages, particularly white ones, and it's really hard for mage USB/OSBs to compete with the better flavors of BSB, so the value has to come from the lesser prizes on the banners, and, well... yeah. Even Cloud's banner is kind of not really remarkable at the bottom. It just contains 3 relics for breaking everything wide the fuck open which are each very powerful on their own at the top, which is a rarity.

The ones I'd say most worth targeting generally without any particular need for a specific effect or relic besides that are:

CoD2 (EVERYTHING for Onion Knight, and generally solid relics otherwise)
    OBeatrix1 (Medium to high quality relics all around focused on Beatrix/Garnet/Quina)
    USelphie1 (Squall's insane BSB2, Irvine hybrid breaking BSB, Irvine hyperbreak, two Selphie healy things, and Raijin's last stand)
    URelm1 (Relm's very good USB, both Celes BSBs, Mog's really good BSB)
    ULightning1 (one-stop shop for all good Raines/Lightning stuff, and Serah's hastega for mage parties if needed)

And obviously the 'Christmas' fest stuff, which is actually going to come before, or right alongside the last couple of those.

Okay, cool

I might do a pull or two on USelphie 2 and ULightning 1, then, and save up the rest of the time.

IKknkhU.gif
  • biscuitbutt81biscuitbutt81 Registered User regular
    Wow, I just tried the hit and run strategy to start a fight with full meter and it really does feel like cheating. This really isn't considered an exploit on 1-stam fights?

Wow, I just tried the hit and run strategy to start a fight with full meter and it really does feel like cheating. This really isn't considered an exploit on 1-stam fights?

It's good for the Torment dungeons that don't cost stamina unless you win too!

ztrEPtD.gif
    Savant wrote: »
    Darklyre wrote: »

The math I saw awhile ago is that the damage RMs are usually better for straight up damage characters using regular damage SBs, but it becomes more complicated when the SBs provide utility. I don't think there was an obvious rule like there is with the stat softcaps.

I do know that the RMs that provide one SB charge are better than the battleforged and acestriker unless it will be a very long battle or you will be using something like wrath. Torments seem like places battleforged and acestriker shine more than Dr. Mogs and Mako Might, and I personally also use them often on my mages with BSBs that have support 4 for wrath.

Generally speaking, the rule for me is to use DMT/MM and possibly the RW on the mitigation/hastega needed to survive the opening (usually some combination of Shout/Vessel and Wall/ProShell. AS/BF then go on the characters whose SBs provide non-immediate mitigation or effects I'd like to have 100% uptime for (Cleansing Strike, Hyperbreak, Imperil). Damage RMs then go to DPSers or utility SB users with alternate forms of meter production (Lifesiphon/Wrath, TG mode, or fastcast/0CT).

• FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    I gotta stop putting these CM's off till the last minute.

I should also stop worrying about doing them period. I've managed to do them all so far. But the general theme is the same. Bring a team whose only real mitigation is a standard breakdown plus protect/shell. And even that barest minimum of mitigation still results in "FUCK YOUI!" levels of damage from the enemy. I really gotta stop paying it lip service, because it's just stupid game design period.

I've done them all and enjoy them well enough. I run double white mage almost every fight and the damage is manageable enough usually unless you get unlucky.

100 gem whiff!

Lots of cool and useful stuff on this banner. Gonna be interesting to see if anyone pulls here.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    100 gem got me Irvine's gun!

... stop giving me shit for Irvine! :rotate:

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.