As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Juicero Memorial [Tech Thread]

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I was just saying in time the bad manufactures and processes leading to faulty cables should be largely weeded out of the market by the time I get a device with USB c! (probably years from now, I'm not going to want or need a new phone anytime soon)

And even if not I'll have a better base of information of other users to build my decisions on which manufactures to trust.

You mean like what Benson Leung is doing?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wJwqv3rTNmORXz-XJsQaXK1dl8I91V4-eP_sfNVNzbA/edit#gid=0

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I feel like they've really been dropping the ball with hardware recently. No desktop product, lackluster MacBook pro models, and not much improvement in the iPhone 7 just makes me feel like they've peaked and are struggling with what to do next.

The iPhone 7 wasn't even "not much improvement", it was actively worse. I'm hoping the 7s or whatever they do next is going to pay off that headphone jack decision with some tangible benefit, because right now there's nothing.

I agree, was trying to be nice but the headphone removal turned me off from it as well for my wife. She's still on the 5S because the 7 wouldn't work for her without a few dongles. I doubt they'll bring it back at this point, but maybe they'll release a SE2.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    It made me appreciate how good iPhone headphones are at least. Easy to find, sound ok, mic works great, reasonably cheap (they'll reportedly just give you a new set in store if they break). Everyone who's used iphone for a while has three hundred spare sets.

I even thought about prepping myself for the loss of that jack by picking up some of their fabled airbuds or whatever that are sure to zoom through space and change my life with their whimsical joire de vive. They're over 200 fucking dollars, for something that's essentially guaranteed not to work as well as my wired ones.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the iphone 7 is really good. the headphone jack issue is the only thing about it that is detestable

the haptic feedback engine is underrated and I am looking forward to it being put in more Apple tech

I can't intuitively tell what a haptic engine could add that would make up for a loss of functionality that large

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    The Taptic Engine is pretty cool. Really satisfying to perform even simple tasks with the feedback.

Losing the 3.5mm is a non-issue for me because I never charge and listen at the same time. Plus I carry a messenger bag everywhere so I just keep my dongle in that.

The real standouts about the iPhone 7 are the fact that it actually comes in black and not space grey and the A10 Fusion. That thing is an absolute game-changer in battery life for me. Instead of ending a workday at 15% on my 6S I have been a been ending my day at 50-60%

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Yea the headphone jack is only a loss if you use wired devices. I can completely understand switching or staying with an older product if you do.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I'm in need of a new laptop. Old laptop won't boot unless plugged in and when I typing anything on it, it ends up backwards. I don't need the new one to be superpowerful, just for browsing, youtube and games like Ys and Trails in the Sky from steam (which my years-old laptop ran just fine). I can maybe afford 500 or 600 euroes. So where's a good place to buy a decent laptop?

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    its difficult to describe why the haptic engine is so cool. it gives you these very realistic sensations. for the first few days I have the iphone 7, I didn't even realize the home button was fake (its not a button, just a flat piece of glass)

because the pulse it generates fools your brain into thinking you just pressed a clicky button

so the same goes for the onscreen keyboard and other similar functions

I used a Macbook Air for a year without realising that it's not a clicky button

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I'm in need of a new laptop. Old laptop won't boot unless plugged in and when I typing anything on it, it ends up backwards. I don't need the new one to be superpowerful, just for browsing, youtube and games like Ys and Trails in the Sky from steam (which my years-old laptop ran just fine). I can maybe afford 500 or 600 euroes. So where's a good place to buy a decent laptop?

Does Europe have a Newegg equivalent? You should be able to find a 2yr old decent laptop for that much, and considering technology really hasn't advanced all that much, the most you may miss is an SSD, which depending on how much you spend for the laptop, you could swap one in.

Jasconius wrote: »
    For the first few days I have the iphone 7, I didn't even realize the home button was fake (its not a button, just a flat piece of glass)

That's funny, because my father-in-law and sister have the 7/7+ and both times I was playing with them the fact the home button doesn't move at all really stood out to me, and I'm not even a daily user of my wife's 5S. It was just weird, but to each their own. I fully understand that the fewer moving parts the better in terms of what can and will fail over time.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    its difficult to describe why the haptic engine is so cool. it gives you these very realistic sensations. for the first few days I have the iphone 7, I didn't even realize the home button was fake (its not a button, just a flat piece of glass)

because the pulse it generates fools your brain into thinking you just pressed a clicky button

I think if I buy one it will eventually fool me, but it feels different enough to every other home button apple has had that it doesn't.

I think the real cool part of the haptic engine is the deep press options you get in menus.

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Blake T wrote: »

I think if I buy one it will eventually fool me, but it feels different enough to every other home button apple has had that it doesn't.

I think the real cool part of the haptic engine is the deep press options you get in menus.

is that different than what you see on the 6S?

8406wWN.png
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I use the Force Touch way more with the taptic engine than I did with my 6S.

Also I turned the force touch requirement to "light" about 6 months ago and it's much easier to utilize! It's a fucking revelation for the keyboard

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

is that different than what you see on the 6S?

Nah it's the same thing as the 6S other than they have added it into the home button in the seven as well.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Just run some string with tin cans on the ends between your house and the internet.

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Just run some string with tin cans on the ends between your house and the internet.

The Australian Way

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    My steam link does not work on wifi.

So choppy

I think it's because my WIFI is .N and not .C and my PC is on a 2.4ghz vs 5

I'll see if I can be arsed to set up a powerline network but it's a small 1 bedroom flat

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

What a pile of shitheads that company management seems to be is ridiculous.

Fucking hell

Uber sounds like a hellhole to work for. They would have to pay me so much money to put up with that shit.

And that's being a man.

If I was a woman, no amount of money could make me want to stay.

Karl wrote: »
    My steam link does not work on wifi.

So choppy

I think it's because my WIFI is .N and not .C and my PC is on a 2.4ghz vs 5

I'll see if I can be arsed to set up a powerline network but it's a small 1 bedroom flat

If it helps your decision, powerline adapters take about 5 minutes to set them up (4 minutes of that is opening and disposing of the packaging) and they're pretty inexpensive. I'd say they're well worth the money! Plus you can have the adapters on hand if you move somewhere else or want to rearrange your flat or whatever.

edited February 2017
    I've got a powerline adaptor already but I share the flat with my girlfriend who may very well tell me to fuck off with cables because she wants the flat to look nice.

the eternal struggle.

in powerline related questions, I have this:

NETGEAR XWNB5201-100UKS 500Mbps Powerline Wi-Fi Extender/Access Point Kit (Wi-Fi Booster)

So I'm one powerlink short, can I mix in another powerline adaptor (same brand but different model)?

Like if I get NETGEAR PLP1000-100UKS 1 Port,1000 Mbps, 1 Gigabit Port Powerline Adapter with Extra outlet - Pack of 2 would that work with what I already have?

Karl on
    Hmmm good question! I bought a matched pair. I would assume since you're buying the same brand that they'd recognize each other, but I haven't done much with the technology in general.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I'm using a pair of TP-link powerline adapters, and they're working fine with an older D-link powerline adapter that I have. They're both Homeplug AV compatible, which I think is the interoperating standard.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    After much thought, I canceled my Switch and Zelda pre-order and used the money on an Nvidia 1070 that Logical Increments suggested. I measured to ensure it would fit so I should be good to go as there is more than enough room.

Also the card comes with For Honor, which I was thinking about buying so that actually makes it a bit cheaper in my eyes.

Now I can actually play a bunch of games I was not previously able to. Going from a 550 to a 1070 should be a pretty crazy change.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Down the road I will also upgrade the motherboard, CPU, ram, and case. This GPU should hold me over till then.

I am very excited but also terrified that it won't work for some reason.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    What CPU are you using right now, @timspork's ghost?

edited February 2017
    jgeis wrote: »
    What CPU are you using right now, @timspork's ghost?

AMD Phenom II

Worst case I just keep the card in the box until I get the rest of the stuff.

Librarian's ghost on

edited February 2017
    A Phenom II is going to bottleneck a 1070, but you'll still see a huge gain over the 550, so there's no reason not to install the new card now and just move it to a new system when you upgrade.

jgeis on
    jgeis wrote: »
    A Phenom II is going to bottleneck a 1070, but you'll still see a huge gain over the 550, so there's no reason not to install the new card now and just move it to a new system when you upgrade.

Oh I know it but I'll take any improvement until I get a new cpu.

Also, with AMD's Rizen chips coming out soon, you'll have some affordable upgrade options available to you in the near future. It's a good time to incrementally upgrade your system in preparation for the new chips/discounts that might get run on Intel CPUs in response.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My phone pulled down nougat.

It is kinda ugly.

My 1070 arrived! It just fit right in the case and just worked? That was probably the most painless PC upgrade I've done in memory.

What does one play on a PC with a new graphics card besides playing Quake at 5 million frames per second obviously.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Crysis at max at a crisp 15 fps, duh.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Solitaire, 500fps on the deck cascade after you win!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
This discussion has been closed.