As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2017 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    The band lineups have been changing more than in years past. No one is guaranteed to be at a given show (besides Frontalot apparently).

Yeah ive noticed. None of my favorites returned this year. Paul and Storm were hilarious last year and it was the first time I saw them. VGO has to me been one of the biggest reasons I go to Pax so this makes me sad. Also no Blizzard or Riot panels, and Mega64 are on Sunday afternoon when I have to get on my train home. Pretty bummed about this year when I was so excited before. I hope the expo floor map isn't more letdowns when that comes out.

• Ganon122Ganon122 Registered User new member
    edited February 2017
    My wife and I are expecting our first child on March 6th, precarious timing for PAX. As a Club PA member I pre-purchased my badges, if she goes into labor right before or during PAX, how would I pick up the badges? Do have any suggestions if I have to miss my first PAX East? Can someone else use my tickets? My friend that I usually go with is still going but we're supposed to pick up the badges together. I know the pick up person traditionally has to have an id that matches names with the purchaser. Could I donate them to Child's Play? Basically, what are my options?
    Thanks

Ganon122 on
  • VGguy49VGguy49 Registered User regular
    I have never seen one of the console tournaments before, can people who are not playing in the tournaments view them, and if so how? (For instance the Bomberman Live one.)

Wishes he could change his username
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ganon122 wrote: »
    My wife and I are expecting our first child on March 6th, precarious timing for PAX. As a Club PA member I pre-purchased my badges, if she goes into labor right before or during PAX, how would I pick up the badges? Do have any suggestions if I have to miss my first PAX East? Can someone else use my tickets? My friend that I usually go with is still going but we're supposed to pick up the badges together. I know the pick up person traditionally has to have an id that matches names with the purchaser. Could I donate them to Child's Play? Basically, what are my options?
    Thanks
    Any tickets held at the show have to be picked up in person by that person with the appropriate ID. I don't know of any other option other than emailing pax_questions@paxsite.com and asking them.

• DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    VGguy49 wrote: »
    I have never seen one of the console tournaments before, can people who are not playing in the tournaments view them, and if so how? (For instance the Bomberman Live one.)

Plenty of room to hang out in the console tournament room.

• WildFire3838WildFire3838 Registered User new member
    Does anyone know if the bars within the convention are going to be serving this year?

Does anyone know if the bars within the convention are going to be serving this year?
    From earlier in this FAQ thread
    ViciousKid wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    ViciousKid wrote: »
    djlybs wrote: »
    They probably won't again this year... they had issues with people taking beer away from the bar in years past...

Would be great if we could get a definite answer.
    your best bet is to email pax_questions@paxsite.com for that one, if you want an answer based on the future plans as opposed to our past experiences.

I emailed PAX directly and I got a response that there will be NO Alcohol served at PAX this year

• KatlamosKatlamos Greenville, PARegistered User regular
    So is the schedule that we have available at this moment the final schedule or is it still subject to change? And if it is prelim, what are the kinds of things that could change outside of a panel being canceled due to unforeseen circumstances?

IxuJJxt.png
    Katlamos wrote: »
    So is the schedule that we have available at this moment the final schedule or is it still subject to change? And if it is prelim, what are the kinds of things that could change outside of a panel being canceled due to unforeseen circumstances?
    I like to say it's "final." It's intended to be final, but things can still happen. I would say that yeah, a panel being canceled could happen, minor time changes could be made for some reason, that sort of thing. You should be able to plan around it.

• CptnKrakenCptnKraken New HampshireRegistered User new member
    Hey guys! I am attending Pax on Friday and was wondering what the rules regarding backpacks are? Are we allowed to bring backpacks and walk around with them? I saw in the FAQ sections that bags will be searched so I assume that means we can have them? And if so are there any types of restrictions I should know? (other than no banned items obviously) Thanks!

GRAPHIC DESIGNER // SCI-FI ENTHUSIAST
  • Zap-RoboZap-Robo This Space Intentionally Left Blank Youngstown, OHRegistered User regular
    CptnKraken wrote: »
    Hey guys! I am attending Pax on Friday and was wondering what the rules regarding backpacks are? Are we allowed to bring backpacks and walk around with them? I saw in the FAQ sections that bags will be searched so I assume that means we can have them? And if so are there any types of restrictions I should know? (other than no banned items obviously) Thanks!

Absolutely fine - I have a satchel on me with recording gear and tablet these days but previously had a backpack with a couple of snacks and water - great for vacuuming up booth swag.

As you said, just avoid the banned items and be prepared for a wait to go through the bag check (get there as early as you can manage, is my advice).

Andy "Zap-Robo" Barber
    Editor in Chief @ www.mmo-central.com
  • CptnKrakenCptnKraken New HampshireRegistered User new member
    Zap-Robo wrote: »

Absolutely fine - I have a satchel on me with recording gear and tablet these days but previously had a backpack with a couple of snacks and water - great for vacuuming up booth swag.

As you said, just avoid the banned items and be prepared for a wait to go through the bag check (get there as early as you can manage, is my advice).

Great! Thank you so much!!

GRAPHIC DESIGNER // SCI-FI ENTHUSIAST
    be mindful of your space, including your pack. Don't turn around and whack someone in the face with it :)

• kojima91kojima91 Registered User regular
    Hey, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question, but I've been having a hard time finding the answer.

I'm thinking of signing up with a friend to participate in the mario kart double dash tournament. This will be my first time playing competitive double dash, and was hoping I could find some information on what rules will be used at PAX East 2017. Specifically, how many races per match, what are the methods used for character/stage selection, and whether or not it is allowed for one person to drive for all of the races (I've never heard of this rule being implemented, but figured I would check just in case).

Thanks!

• DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    The guy running the tournament usually posts some specifics about a week before on here. But I don't think he will address all of your details. Generally it's not that serious.

• yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular

Not only are they allowed, but I highly recommend bringing one. It gets crowded in there, and sometimes you are crammed into a space with other people so having a backpack is a nice personal space barrier :)

• PavioPavio Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Backpacks are ok but I prefer a shoulder bag. Every PAX I get hit by backpacks constantly, and often while standing in line behind someone who is wearing one.

I recommend taking it off in line, but I also find that having a shoulder bag will help you keep a better eye on your stuff while also not bumping into people.

zerzhul on
    v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    Pavio wrote: »
    Backpacks are ok but I prefer a shoulder bag. Every PAX I get hit by backpacks constantly, and often while standing in line behind someone who is wearing one.

I recommend taking it off in line, but I also find that having a shoulder bag will help you keep a better eye on your stuff while also not bumping into people.

I've been bringing a backpack every year and this is a fantastic idea. I never thought about it before, but a shoulder bag is so much better. Thanks!

npyymaqh3gup.png
  • lrjunior03lrjunior03 Registered User regular
    How can I sign in for a console tournament?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    zerzhul wrote: »
    When do I sign up for tournaments?
    Tournament registration is Friday or Day of. Look out for each departments Tournament thread for specific information when it gets close to PAX. If there's no thread for the tournament type you are interested in, head to that department asap when you get to pax to get the information! Get there early, most tournaments fill up within an hour or two of PAX opening.

zerzhul on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • mesvadermesvader Registered User new member
    So I just signed up for Pax XP for Pax East. I then went on to the Pax East app and it said that the Pax XP tab will be coming soon. Is there anything I can do with Pax XP before the show? Or will the tab be available only during the show?

• ItaraItara Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but my badges were flagged as an over purchase and thus have to be picked up onsite. Now, I'm not too upset about this because I know its put in place to keep scalpers from getting their hands on passes and what not but it is minorly annoying because they don't actually say where I'm supposed to go pick them up or even if I can do so prior to the start of the convention on Friday. I'm assuming it is at willcall but even then I have no clue where that's at or what time it is open! Can anyone offer any insight?

Itara on
  • BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    Itara wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but my badges were flagged as an over purchase and thus have to be picked up onsite. Now, I'm not too upset about this because I know its put in place to keep scalpers from getting their hands on passes and what not but it is minorly annoying because they don't actually say where I'm supposed to go pick them up or even if I can do so prior to the start of the convention on Friday. I'm assuming it is at willcall but even then I have no clue where that's at or what time it is open! Can anyone offer any insight?

Will call desk is in the lobby when you walk in the main entrance. It should be on the map

edited February 2017
    On the PAX map in the guidebook, badge pickup is shown

zerzhul on
  • ItaraItara Registered User regular
    Thank you! Do you know if it will be open at all on Thursday for badge pickup or is the earliest option Friday morning?

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Itara wrote: »
    Thank you! Do you know if it will be open at all on Thursday for badge pickup or is the earliest option Friday morning?
    http://east.paxsite.com/faq#week-of-pax-question-where-is-will-call-international-badge-speaker-badge-m

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Le_Goat, one of these years, we need to convince you to make a new set of PAX beer steins. I still have my old one from a few years ago, but it's getting lonely....

iTNdmYl.png
  • BurstLimitBurstLimit Registered User new member
    On Saturday, it says a Smash tourney being held from 7:00-9:00. Which Smash game is this exactly? And also, is there anyway to know the tournament format this year? I'm only asking because I wasn't very fond of how it was setup last year and would like to have it setup similarly to how major Smash tournaments are.

• salvucci91salvucci91 Registered User new member
    BurstLimit wrote: »
    On Saturday, it says a Smash tourney being held from 7:00-9:00. Which Smash game is this exactly? And also, is there anyway to know the tournament format this year? I'm only asking because I wasn't very fond of how it was setup last year and would like to have it setup similarly to how major Smash tournaments are.

Would love to know the answer to this as well.

hsu wrote: »
    Le_Goat, one of these years, we need to convince you to make a new set of PAX beer steins. I still have my old one from a few years ago, but it's getting lonely....
    The problem is that it is soooooo much work. I tried to get one going last year, but I started a new job and there was no way I could get it done. It would be great to get another PAX Stein going, though. It's a staple in my place.

• MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    salvucci91 wrote: »

Schedule on guidebook says "Super Smash Bros." There's only one game with that name. I'm betting N64 version.

Schedule on guidebook says "Super Smash Bros." There's only one game with that name. I'm betting N64 version.
    Technically "Super Smash Bros." is a series:
    • Super Smash Bros.
    • Super Smash Bros. Melee
    • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    But I imagine you would be correct about the N64 version, as I would assume that they would mention the exact game name in the guidebook.

• BurstLimitBurstLimit Registered User new member
    Le_Goat wrote: »

Technically "Super Smash Bros." is a series:
    • Super Smash Bros.
    • Super Smash Bros. Melee
    • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    But I imagine you would be correct about the N64 version, as I would assume that they would mention the exact game name in the guidebook.

I don't remember exactly, but I think last year the N64 version was specifically called Smash 64 on the guidebook was well as the Wii U version.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It is likely Melee and Wii U.

YL9WnCY.png
  • jshirlandjshirland Registered User regular
    I noticed on the schedule that there is going to be a Portal 2 tournament. Does anyone know how that's going to work? My guess would be having people complete certain sections in the shortest amount of time, but I suppose least number of portals is also a possibility.

(I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I didn't see a PC tournament thread. Please let me know if there's a better place to ask.)

• salvucci91salvucci91 Registered User new member
    edited February 2017

This was my first guess, but seeing that there's not a single detail in the description, and there are four games in the series, I was hoping that we'd get some sort of an explanation.

salvucci91 on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Melee and Wii U are the big competitive games right now. It would be, to put it mildly, very odd to have just N64 as a tourney when I know past PAXes have had at least Wii U tourneys.

YL9WnCY.png
    I may actually participate in that then. I loved the 64 version.

• ltgruntltgrunt Registered User regular
    Has there been any information on if Wizards of the Coast will be doing D&D Adventurer's League stuff this year? I checked the official D&D website and it isn't giving much in the way of details. I'm hopeful that they'll do something like last year with the short adventures every 2/4 hours.

mkf6ad9.png