As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] I'll see you on the other side. The Barrovian Society 2007-2014

• Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    I've started playing pretty actively again after painstakingly combing the archives of Steam for something to play with my gf. Turns out she was way into DDO back in the day so I thought LOTRO would feel familiar enough that she'd take to it. Turns out, I was...fairly correct. She's rolled four characters that encompass every crafting profession and is currently leveling them each in turn. Needless to say I think I've struck gold.

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Should we start up The Neo Barrovian Society?

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    I will download and try it again. Hope that I can find my old login info.

I would do the same but things aren't stable enough for me to have the free time to play anything let alone LOTRO.

I am saddened by this because I'd totally blow the dust off the hobo captain and play some but life just isn't allowing much of that right now.

• IslandIsland Registered User regular
    I have been playing almost nightly on Landroval (Aiedgar Whisperjack). The kin I am in is mostly dead, I would be down for a Neo Barrovian Society! Level 52 now and making my way through Moria.

camo_sig.png
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I don't think I ever made it past 35 on my loremaster.

Alas, time is not on my side for this...

It was also to hard to decide between burglar, warden, and loremaster.

Feldorn on
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    I hate you people

Shawnasee wrote: »
    I hate you people

Right back at ya.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Here, I'll sing to make you both feel better.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

What is this I don't even.
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    I hate you people

Right back at ya.

sigh...thats the love I've been missing....

upgrading now

Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Here, I'll sing to make you both feel better.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

The song of your people. I hear it too little.

• citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    http://massivelyop.com/2016/07/07/rumor-more-layoffs-for-turbine/

Warner Bros. PR has issued the following statement to Massively OP:

“Turbine is transitioning into a free-to-play, mobile development studio, and as a result we are eliminating some positions. The Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons and Dragons online games will continue to operate as they do now. Re-focusing and reducing the studio size was a difficult decision for the company, and we are grateful to all of the Turbine staff for their considerable contributions.”

:?

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    *casts Inspiriting Call on thread*

--

So LOTRO (and DDO) won't be done by Turbine any longer, a newly formed studio will take of the reins and it will be published by Daybreak Games. More info: https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/standing-stone-games-–-message-rob-ciccolini It seems like the same people will be behind the scenes, but it's still a massive change for a MMO.

I saw an article on this on facebook the other day and it was gone before I had the chance to read it.

Is Turbine going away, or are they just getting free of older MMO's?

No specific news on that, but their portfolio is getting suspiciously empty http://www.turbine.com/ and there's this article from last summer: http://massivelyop.com/2016/07/07/rumor-more-layoffs-for-turbine/

Looking into it, I think it's that Turbine no longer wanted LOTRO/DDO and struck some sort of deal with employees to let them spin it off. Turbine is now free to mostly focus on shitty mobile apps.

Time for my yearly :bigfrown:

• ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    To be honest the change gives me hope. It was either stay with Turbine, which obviously isn't interested in these kinds of MMOs anymore, or someone else willing to take on all the work of LOTRO and DDO. Given what the realistic options could have been (such as being fully sold off to some random company and current devs fired) this is kind of good deal. People who care about the games stay on and keep their jobs, independently, with a publisher that - while risky - seems to care enough about the games and devs to give them some freedom.

Of course, the marketing is good too. Made me re-download DDO for the first time since... five years ago? Still have LOTRO installed to jump in from time to time.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    It is so nice that the devs can continue on working with LotRO.

Everything stays the same for the customer, so that's nice too.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Let's hope Daybreak doesn't nix LotRO as quickly as it did EQN, or just plain not give a shit about it like with Planetside 2

JtgVX0H.png
  • kowikowi Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Let's hope Daybreak doesn't nix LotRO as quickly as it did EQN, or just plain not give a shit about it like with Planetside 2

That will be good for them.

PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    kowi wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »

That will be good for them.

Daybreak was EQNs developer, All they are doing for lotro is publishing.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Friends of mine got me to play this. I see there's the quad pack of expansions available on the Turbine store and Amazon for $40. But I also heard there might be a better deal out there- anyone know?

I thought steam had packs for sale, but I don't see any at this point. I don't think anyone in this thread has bought packs in some time. Almost everyone bought up through Rohan or Helm's Deep.

I'm not certain, but I THINK when they would release a new expansion there'd be a pack to buy everything up to that point. It's been awhile, though. The nice thing about this being f2p is you can just buy some pack and play until you're through that content, then buy an xpac or not.

edited February 2017
    Well. Moria and Mirkwood are both fantastic expansions. The game started to fall off for me, and a lot of us, around there but. .

It's the same cost, without any special sales, to by just Moria and Mirkwood as it is to get the 4 pack so it you think you're going to put some time into the game the 4 pack seems a decent deal.

Seidkona on
    Entaru wrote: »
    Well. Moria and Mirkwood are both fantastic expansions. The game started to fall off for me, and a lot of us, around there but. .

It's the same cost, without any special sales, to by just Moria and Mirkwood as it is to get the 4 pack so it you think you're going to put some time into the game the 4 pack seems a decent deal.

I am thinking of doing that, but according to worldchat there is a chance these same four packs go for $10 when they have sales. Which I'm not sure is true or not, but I don't need the packs right now (only barely hitting 20) so I can wait and see.

edited February 2017
    I bought them for like 15€, yes. And later the Riders of Rohan for 10€...

There is also Mithril edition, that gave 2k TP (or what they now are), few regions and other niceties.

LotRO has pretty nice DLC method, you just buy the regions you are interested in. Saves some money when you don't nee to buy everything.

They at least used to have very decent sales, so might want to wait for that.

Oh, and the Samvais starter pack is very useful, used to cost like 10€, it gives riding skill and other perks.

Grebnu on
    So, quick clarification- are we saying that the sales for the expansions go to $10 for each (so $40 total for the four of them), or $10 total for the quad-pack?

Also, I found the Samwise pack on the Turbine store but got an error when I tried to purchase it. I tried looking in-game for it and could not find it.

Partially we may have no idea on pricing structure. I don't believe we've seen what sales look like since they moved the game over to a different publisher structure. I wouldn't be surprised if that makes the sales different somehow. Different how, though, I have no idea.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    So, quick clarification- are we saying that the sales for the expansions go to $10 for each (so $40 total for the four of them), or $10 total for the quad-pack?

Also, I found the Samwise pack on the Turbine store but got an error when I tried to purchase it. I tried looking in-game for it and could not find it.

quadpack hits 10 for all 4 every so often. often enough to wait, and i cant see that changing with the switch to standing stone, since its still all the same people.

Unless you have a level 50 just waiting and raring to get into moria I'd wait for a sale.

But if you are really looking to improve your experience in the game, you are going to have to invest in whatever the points are called now. Cause you will need them, lots of them. To unlock character trait and virtue slots, to unlock quest packs so you can actually progress, to remove the gold cap, to buy riding skill, and the other half of your inventory.

Pretty much everything, but questpacks, gold cap and inventory slots, have to be bought per character. No the quad pack, nor does any other package, come with bonus points to buy shit with. Those days are dead and gone.

You can earn them in game, but to earn enough to be usable to a new player will require obscene amounts of effort and rerolling characters to grind deeds, which give pittance of 5/10 points for each completed. Its a korea-level grind.

I see. Well that's good that I should be able to buy all four for a grand total of $10. I've just hit level 20 so I've a ways to go, I can afford to wait.

I didn't see the Samwise pack available anywhere other than on Amazon.com, and I'm thinking of getting that. Is it just a code that you end up entering somewhere?

Anniversary event is going on, ends 8.5... But the scavenger hunt is going until July I believe. Lots of neat stuff up for grabs! Missions may be tricky for a low tier.

I've fallen in love with this game again. Made my own kinship, apparently you don't need more people anymore, just you is enough. I'll get my kinship house in no time!

I need a second account though, for inviting my alts...

Isengard Epic quests are one of the best I've played this far, Saruman's such a not nice man :bigfrown:

Dunlendings and dung throwing savages and I wow to end every clan that sides with the evil.

I've made lots of progress, soon I will get in Rohan proper and get my warsteed. I am sad that we don't have wargoats though...

We had a cool kin house.

• LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    I was perturbed when I logged on to find that the fellowship had been disbanded, but I mean, I think I logged in for the first time in months. I must have a hojillion Turbine Points or what ever they're called now.

steam_sig.png
    Lowlander wrote: »
    I was perturbed when I logged on to find that the fellowship had been disbanded, but I mean, I think I logged in for the first time in months. I must have a hojillion Turbine Points or what ever they're called now.

*kinship. And yes, since 2014.

In other news: they are ramping up for the release of the Mordor expac. Is anyone planning a return?

I feel like i have to poke my head in to see Mordor, but it might not be at release.

• secretexhibitionsecretexhibition Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Mordor has looked like a pretty quality expansion (for LOTRO) on Beta. It's exciting. Pre-Order prices were announced today. 130/80/40. $40 option includes a 105 boost which is nice.

Pre-Order page

secretexhibition on
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Looks like my lifetime account from launch is jacked up? Then again I haven't played in a few years so I'm not too bothered.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
    So, there's a new class, High Elves are running all around Ered Luin atm. And there's ofc. Mordor expansion.

Been playin on and off, finally got to Grandmaster (Flash) Tier or whatever in the Weaponsmithian Guild.

Leveling a cooking alt is fun, farming and cooking all day long.

My main got his mounted combat steed, it is so finicky to control. I am drifting like a Japanese driver in Tokyo Drift. Still pretty fun at least for now.

I found out that you can create a guild all by yourself, made one just for me and my alts. Need another account to invite everyone in my little family tho.