As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So I booted up today and for whatever reason the "Ask me anything" bar and the Windows icon are now bright fucking white when they used to be a nice charcoal grey to better blend into the black start bar.

Why the heck did they change this, and the heck are the settings for me to change this back.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So I booted up today and for whatever reason the "Ask me anything" bar and the Windows icon are now bright fucking white when they used to be a nice charcoal grey to better blend into the black start bar.

Why the heck did they change this, and the heck are the settings for me to change this back.

I think you need to right click on the start bar, settings, colors, and then fiddle with the colors and options as necessary.

Then again, I use Start10 to make my bar mostly transparent.

Couldn't find anything in the color options, but I made it so the search bar wasn't visible unless I clicked on the Cortana icon. That got rid of the bright white rectangle that was annoying me.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    Couldn't find anything in the color options, but I made it so the search bar wasn't visible unless I clicked on the Cortana icon. That got rid of the bright white rectangle that was annoying me.

You don't even need the Cortana icon. If you click start and begin to type, it goes into the same search interface.

Frem wrote: »

You don't even need the Cortana icon. If you click start and begin to type, it goes into the same search interface.

Oh, nice!

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Question: has anyone had any success installing the Anniversary Update on a system where the OS is installed on a SSD and other things are installed on a standard drive? If so, did you have to do anything special?

I've had the update freeze on me twice, so I'm planning on doing a clean boot, and then turning off my D drive (the data/non-OS drive) in the device manager in order to try again, but I'm wondering if that's overkill, or if there's something else I should try before doing that.

EDIT: yes, I've turned off my antivirus and disconnected everything but my mouse and keyboard in my previous attempts.

Nightslyr on
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Question: has anyone had any success installing the Anniversary Update on a system where the OS is installed on a SSD and other things are installed on a standard drive? If so, did you have to do anything special?

I've had the update freeze on me twice, so I'm planning on doing a clean boot, and then turning off my D drive (the data/non-OS drive) in the device manager in order to try again, but I'm wondering if that's overkill, or if there's something else I should try before doing that.

EDIT: yes, I've turned off my antivirus and disconnected everything but my mouse and keyboard in my previous attempts.

I'm not totally certain what you mean, but--I have two SSDs and two hybrid drives. If by "other things" you mean other programs, I've got Windows 10 installed on my Samsung 850 Pro, and some games, like Ark: Survival Evolved installed on the hybrid--I absolutely did nothing special. The update process might be one of the few things that I've never had issues with.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but it sounds like there's a software problem with your OS installation (and probably has nothing to do with where you've installed it).

Synthesis wrote: »

I'm not totally certain what you mean, but--I have two SSDs and two hybrid drives. If by "other things" you mean other programs, I've got Windows 10 installed on my Samsung 850 Pro, and some games, like Ark: Survival Evolved installed on the hybrid--I absolutely did nothing special. The update process might be one of the few things that I've never had issues with.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but it sounds like there's a software problem with your OS installation (and probably has nothing to do with where you've installed it).

Could be. It's a semi-old Dell that originally had Windows 8 on it, and never quite worked entirely right. I've done several in-place upgrades (Windows 8.1, Windows 10, the first big Windows 10 upgrade) without any issues until now.

I can't nuke mostly due to time constraints. I don't have the time (or inclination) to literally start over.

Could be. It's a semi-old Dell that originally had Windows 8 on it, and never quite worked entirely right. I've done several in-place upgrades (Windows 8.1, Windows 10, the first big Windows 10 upgrade) without any issues until now.

I can't nuke mostly due to time constraints. I don't have the time (or inclination) to literally start over.

According to Microsoft, installing Windows 10 on top of Windows 8.1 can potentially lead to errors--though not necessarily of the variety that will stop an update. In my own direct experience, an immediate Windows 10 update on top of Windows 8.1 is cosmetically and functionally different, in a few small ways, from simple installation Windows 10 (but a few things, including the Anniversary update, are supposed to reconcile those differences).

The obvious thing you can start with are a DISM check (which checks the Windows 10 image for errors and attempts to repair them) and a SFC /Scannow (which does much the same thing for your system files, and generally you do that first). Both are very easy to do, they just might take a few minutes to an hour depending on how much they need to scan.

If you've done both, the next step might be to do a Windows Repair, which is supposed to basically your Windows installation with something amounting to a fresh version, discarding all the holdouts of the previous OS too (if any are still around). While these generally sucked in the past, at least most recently, I had some good luck with them: almost all of my numerous, long list of OS problems during my Windows 10 nightmare back in August were fixed by a combination Windows repair and a completely new user profile. Of course, my problems were pretty different--they were at least in part because my solid state drive decided to shit down my throat, because Steam hated a new, fresh installation of Windows 10, and because I had store and indexing problems, not an inability to update, but it's something to consider.

Also, and this is probably something that MS would say to (regardless of its accuracy), but a user profile carried on a previous OS can also have certain problems that might prevent an update (in which case, you can very easily check by seeing if you can update under another administrator-level user account, like the hidden one that comes pre-made in every version of WIndows).

Actually, doing a clean boot and turning off my standard HDD (leaving only my SSD running) did the trick. I'm currently upgraded, and rocking a slightly tweaked Start menu and notification area. It also seems a tick faster, which is nice.

Huzzah!

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I wish they would fix the weird "some laptops take a huge amount of time to boot with win10" issue.
    That's the only reason I went back to 7 TWICE in this MSI laptop.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I wish they would fix the weird "some laptops take a huge amount of time to boot with win10" issue.
    That's the only reason I went back to 7 TWICE in this MSI laptop.

It seems counterintuitive, but try disabling fast boot. It's caused a lot of problems with older systems.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Long shot: any chance you're using a spinning drive instead of a SSD? Is it possible there's a bottleneck at the South Bridge?

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    will second the fast boot thing. On some occasions it does weird things.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    A few weeks ago I posted about my hard disks dying in my backup computer (well, I was hoping it was the drives and nothing else) and having to reinstall everything. In the meantime I've taken out the old drives, which included two oldish SSDs, put in two new drives and reinstalled everything - and, phew, it seems it really was the drives. Reinstalling everything worked, the computer's running smoothly, no problems at all. Yay!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    This may be worthwhile for you guys. I'm going to grab my copy tonight and will probably download a version for my brother.

http://lifehacker.com/this-all-in-one-system-rescue-toolkit-automatically-rep-1788886935

My issue went away about as mysteriously as it came, with no intervention on my part.

So, yes, Youtube is terrible. But like the post office, it's cheap and we can't live without it.

As it turned out, my Youtube issue persisted--it seems certain it was due to Nvidia's drivers, and only affected Chrome video playback. So I finally switched to Vivaldi as I always swore I would.

New Nvidia drivers, and the issue is gone--Youtube works great with Chrome again--so now I just need to figure out if I'm going to switch back or not.

So this is kind of a big deal. Microsoft is porting Windows 10 to ARM. Full Windows 10. with x86 application emulation.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/86298/arm-based-windows-10-portable-pcs-hell-yes

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Can anyone else with Windows 10 check something for me?

Install the OneDrive app (the WIndows Store app, it's different from the folder functionality which I thing is baked into the OS by default). Check in the notification alerts, or in your notification panel, or in your alert if you take a screen capture--what's it called? OneDrive or Microsoft.Skydrive.Desktop?

Seems like the OneDrive app might be glitched in this version--it's still called SkyDrive (the rename happened before Windows 10 was released), and clicking on the alert doesn't open the app (unlike any other notification). And since it's not possible to search "Microsoft.Skydrive.Desktop" without google thinking you just want to search for the three terms in that order without periods, it's hard to get more info...

rejoice, everyone.

Windows Insider build 15002 hit today. It allows those running the Pro sku to defer Windows updates by up to 35 days.

There are a metric ton of changes in this build, many of which look really good.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/88490/microsoft-releases-biggest-windows-10-insider-preview-build-yet

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Farewell, BSOD (if you're in the insider ring)

steam_sig.png
    Farewell, BSOD (if you're in the insider ring)

long live the GSOD

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    They're moving the 3D builder app link to inside Windows Accessories? Is that the first time that they've allowed a UWP app to be inside a folder? That has interesting implications for start menu management possibly eventually becoming sane.

The rest of it? Eh, whatever.

edited January 2017
    Windows 10 Spotlight (the changing Lock Screen function) is broken again. Too bad, I actually looked forward to reading various geography/natural life tidbits that came up with each one--not so much the occasional ads.

No way of fixing it with a registry change this time. Can't even select a slideshow from a directory of pictures, the only way to get a picture up is to pick a single one, and that's it. No wonder so many people disable the lock screen, this was rock solid back on Windows 8, now it's a broken mess.

Synthesis on
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    The lock screen sucks wangs because media keys and the like stop working when the computer is locked.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I was wondering why mine hasn't changed off the sloth in a long time.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote: »

It's broken (you may not also get the little informative notes on the screen, or the ability to leave feedback either--though those are only there if you're not coming from a complete restart).

I think I may've found a fix, now I'm in the testing phase. This one did not involve registry editing. The insane situation seems to be that the actual content delivery is determined by the registry keys, and those registry keys--if you delete them--just reappear (and all the content gets refreshed, in fact that happens every time you change a setting). I noticed that two keys were different from on my Surface Pro (where Spotlight works), and if you altered them, something changes them back. The fix seems to be using Powershell to get Windows to completely rub everything out and build it again from scratch....or we'll see.

• Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Quick question regarding a clean install (of 7):

I'm adding a 120GB SSD to my desktop, and since it's smaller than the current drive with Windows installed, I was planning on just doing a clean install to the SSD.

The problem is I have an OEM product key, which doesn't work on Microsoft's ISO download service (Which is retail-only). So what are my options for creating installation media for W7 Ultimate SP1?

I feel like this must come up a lot with custom builds, but most stuff I'm seeing after some searching is either outdated with dead download links, or a potentially untrustworthy source for an ISO.

Silent Tristero on
    Shadowfire wrote: »

It's broken (you may not also get the little informative notes on the screen, or the ability to leave feedback either--though those are only there if you're not coming from a complete restart).

I think I may've found a fix, now I'm in the testing phase. This one did not involve registry editing. The insane situation seems to be that the actual content delivery is determined by the registry keys, and those registry keys--if you delete them--just reappear (and all the content gets refreshed, in fact that happens every time you change a setting). I noticed that two keys were different from on my Surface Pro (where Spotlight works), and if you altered them, something changes them back. The fix seems to be using Powershell to get Windows to completely rub everything out and build it again from scratch....or we'll see.

So this seems to work--even more than that, unlike the registry edits, this seems like an actual honest-to-god fix (until it breaks again): forcing Windows to rebuild Spotlight from scratch on its own. Credit goes to the good Samaritan on the Microsoft answer forums.
    1. Log in as another user and go to C:\Users\<user you want fixed>\AppData\Local\Packages (make sure other account is logged out). May need to add your user to have read/write permission to <user you want fixed folder>

2. Rename Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_cw5n1h2txyewy to Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_cw5n1h2txyewy Old

3. Log out, log in as <user you want fixed>. Open Administrator Powershell

4. Type
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager -allusers | foreach {Add-AppxPackage -register "$($_.InstallLocation)\appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode}

5. Right click your desktop, Personalize -> Lock Screen -> Switch to Slideshow or Picture, switch back to Windows Spotlight, a new image should load in preview

6. Win + L key to see if new image appears

7. Unlock computer and delete the old "Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_cw5n1h2txyewy Old", if the fix worked.

If you only have a Standard User account, you must enable Administrator access on your account to run the powershell commands, otherwise it will re-install the lock screen on the Administrator account you elevated powershell with.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They could get around to fixing the photo program from closing itself while importing and losing the new settings. Still imports, but dumps them into the previous destination.

Motherfucker I tried getting rid of the constant Office 365 update notices, because fuck "upgrading" to a subscription service when I have Office 2013 in perpetuity.

Except that trying to get rid of Office 365 also got rid of my Office 2013 installs, and even doing a system restore, they aren't functioning properly.

I got to Office Support and I got it through a student account at college, but when I enter my school email address (which is hosted via Outlook, mind you) the website says it isn't a valid Microsoft Account email.

What is this fresh hell? Do I seriously have to call up Microsoft customer support, because I feel like I'm going to be on hold for three hours for them to tell me that they can't do jack shit because it's their own goddamn fault.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    was there not a "try office 365" application you were able to uninstall in the start menu? that's how I got rid of the ads for it on my system.

Also does anyone know what's up with the lock screen images and wallpaper system? I like the images a lot, but on my desktop they rarely change, and do not display the information stuff. On my newer laptop they change pretty regularly and the information about the pictures stuff shows up on the lock screen. What I really want is the images to change regularly like on the laptop and the informational stuff to not show up like on my desktop but it sounds like the whole system is pretty broken and unconfigurable from what you guys were saying?

BahamutZERO.gif
    If you read @Synthesis post above, I think that covers your issue.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that's kind of what I'm talking about, but I really don't want to mess with the registry, that's out of my depth. And it sounds like that might get the info boxes to show up on my desktop PC, which is what I don't want, I think they are obtrusive as fuck and ruin the nice pictures. What I really want is a way to hide the info boxes on my laptop.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    that's kind of what I'm talking about, but I really don't want to mess with the registry, that's out of my depth. And it sounds like that might get the info boxes to show up on my desktop PC, which is what I don't want, I think they are obtrusive as fuck and ruin the nice pictures. What I really want is a way to hide the info boxes on my laptop.

Go to Settings -> Personalization -> Lock Screen. Change Background to Slideshow. Turn off "Get fun facts, other bs on your lock screen".

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    If it's not clear, Windows Spotlight is half pretty landscapes and half informative little tooltips you can hover over ("Didn't expect to see a giant canyon in Chile, did you?" "Did you know this bird's migratory patterns are blah blah?"). And, periodically, some annoying ad for something or informational thing (which actually hammers down to the point how faint the line is between advertising and information).

If you don't want that all, just pic a static picture, or a slideshow of a directory you have. Or try using an app, which will push through random pictures from some source, without any sort of information.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    A while back I installed Windows 10 on an older Win7 laptop. I haven't used it a whole lot since, but I fought with it for a while this past Friday and I have a few questions:

1. Is there any way to deactivate/quarentine the built-in store stuff on the default music player that comes with Windows 10. Windows Media Player in older versions always had a store element, but it was much more avoidable. I couldn't find any way to configure things to de-empathize the store elements, which is too bad because the default player had some kind of interesting stuff that I liked. This is probably a non-issue as I can always just install an alternative media player software.
    2. When I plug the laptop into a second monitor via a HDMI cable, the second monitor shows up as a default PnP monitor (which is the same as the laptop screen) on the device manager. This means I can't adjust screen resolution for the monitor or even get the screen to fill the entire monitor because Windows 10 is treating the two screens as though they are both identical (they both show up as screen 1 when I use the identify button). The weird thing is when I look at attached devices, the external monitor shows up there correctly with the manufacturer's name and everything, it just doesn't let me do anything or modify settings in any way. Has anyone had experience getting this to work? Previously in Windows 7 when I plugged in an external monitor, I could use Shift + F5 to alter which screen was active or cloned and I could go into display settings and use the second monitor for an extended desktop. Even at lower resolutions, the second monitor always was filled (aspect ratio permitting).

Caedwyr wrote: »
    A while back I installed Windows 10 on an older Win7 laptop. I haven't used it a whole lot since, but I fought with it for a while this past Friday and I have a few questions:

1. Is there any way to deactivate/quarentine the built-in store stuff on the default music player that comes with Windows 10. Windows Media Player in older versions always had a store element, but it was much more avoidable. I couldn't find any way to configure things to de-empathize the store elements, which is too bad because the default player had some kind of interesting stuff that I liked. This is probably a non-issue as I can always just install an alternative media player software.
    2. When I plug the laptop into a second monitor via a HDMI cable, the second monitor shows up as a default PnP monitor (which is the same as the laptop screen) on the device manager. This means I can't adjust screen resolution for the monitor or even get the screen to fill the entire monitor because Windows 10 is treating the two screens as though they are both identical (they both show up as screen 1 when I use the identify button). The weird thing is when I look at attached devices, the external monitor shows up there correctly with the manufacturer's name and everything, it just doesn't let me do anything or modify settings in any way. Has anyone had experience getting this to work? Previously in Windows 7 when I plugged in an external monitor, I could use Shift + F5 to alter which screen was active or cloned and I could go into display settings and use the second monitor for an extended desktop. Even at lower resolutions, the second monitor always was filled (aspect ratio permitting).

you can't really turn off the Windows Store without breaking a lot of things, as most of the built in apps update and run from there. There's nothing forcing you to use it, just leave it alone.

As for the HDMI connection, it's just setting your displays as mirrored when you have it plugged in. Set the second monitor as "extend" and it should run as a second screen. Alternatively, there's a hotkey for it. Windows+P.

Caedwyr wrote: »

It's not what you're looking for probably, but there's nothing keeping you from using Windows Media Player--or any other player--for handling all your music needs. You can't uninstall the Groove client (actually you can, but it's slightly complicated and done through administrator powershell) but you don't need to ever use it.

Otherwise, no, Microsoft has gone full iTunes here--which the exception that Groove isn't as crashy and terrible performing as iTunes on Windows, which isn't saying a lot.