As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help Me Make a Backup Plan to Visit a Chunk of the South Somewhere

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
It's our intent to visit Boston for a few days next month just before PAX. However my wife's bronchitis has been acting up and if the weather is too chilly we're looking at somewhere south of Maryland as a backup plan.

Thing is, having grown up there, we don't really like places south of Maryland. And I'm having a hard time figuring out where we'd even go if Boston falls through. But we're gonna try and make the best of it if that ends up being the plan. I've created a detailed image of whereabouts we'd be looking at:

n18uXWI.png?2

We'd have six days off, the 6th to the 12th, with the start and end of it being planned for travel.

Things we like and are planning to enjoy in Boston:

Historical (non plantation) sites
Breweries
Animals
Naval stuff
Excellent, vegetarian friendly food
Anything odd or out of the ordinary

We don't need to stay in one location the whole time though that'd be a bonus.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    The historic parts of Charleston and/or Savannah are nice, if you like antebellum southern history/culture/architecture.

If you're into food, Charleston is a center of a traditional (before fried chicken) southern food, plus regional barbecue.

If you're into beaches, that's always an option. Great Smoky Mountains on the other side of the state is also very pretty, but March isn't really the best season (fall/leaf season is). Asheville is kind of an arty/mountainy town, if you like that.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    The Outer Banks area in NC is super pretty. Bunch of super nice lighthouses, nice beaches, and the town of Kitty Hawk (IE where the Wright Brothers first flew). I assume the food is good there too, but I'm allergic to fish, and most places there are very much seafood.

Theres the Biltmore in NC as well if you want to see how the 1% of the 1% lived back in the days of the Vanderbilts (not a plantation house - and waaaay more ostentatious)

If you are driving along the along the 95 youll definitely see a ton of these
    southoftheborder10.jpg

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    In Virginia there is the Williamsburg area if you are a history buff. Busch Gardens is also there, though I'm not sure if it's open this time of year.

I second the suggestions of the Outer Banks which is just a really great, relaxing location.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Theres a mariner's museum in Newport News, which I've never been to, but when I hear "Naval stuff", I think of Newport News. Its About three hours from the Outer Banks. If you need another endorsement for OBX: I now live in Texas, but talking about trying to get back to that beach dominates any conversation we have about vacation time.

I'm going to guess that the trendiest, vegan-ist, food you can find in NC is going to be up in Asheville. But its an educated guess, I mostly spent my time in the lesser mountain cities.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Grandfather Mountain in NC is nice

I wonder if they still have all the stuff my family built in their museum

(model of the mountain, etc.)

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Boston was your first choice, but then you're heading somewhere far south because of temperature. What about a little less south, and spending some time in DC? You have your pick of the litter with all the museums, which are both awesome and indoors.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I think you said your wife isn't big on camping at one point, but I love camping in Ocracoke, which is at the end of the Outer Banks. You can dodge the expense of a hotel room in the touristy areas and get to the island that is fairly remote (have to take a ferry to get there.) There's plenty to do, you can ferry back to the more populated OB if you want, or you can just enjoy the more peaceful space. I've done some guided kayak tours with "Ride the Wind Ocracoke" which were great. Go kayak onto some pirate islands, dipnet in the marshes, then catch a sunset kayak tour. Camp in the sand dunes and go out awhile after dark with a flashlight to see hundred and hundreds of ghost crabs out on the beach at night, all skittering and staring at you. It's pretty great.

The weather will be in the 50's and 60's, so your call there since it'll be too chilly to really do any swimming.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Boston was your first choice, but then you're heading somewhere far south because of temperature. What about a little less south, and spending some time in DC? You have your pick of the litter with all the museums, which are both awesome and indoors.

DC is awesome. But we live right by it and visit often it so not quite a vacation.

Outerbanks and Williamsburg are looking like good options. If Boston falls through we might split a couple days between the two.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    If you want a really nice, relaxing break, then I can't recommend Topsail Beach in North Carolina hard enough.

It's absolutely beautiful, but hasn't had the tourist build-up wave that other Outer Banks areas have had.

I don't know how ... appropriate? ... it is for a March vacation, though.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    @Quid

How dare u not tag me personally in this post!!! But listen, if you want to go to a nice place in South Carolina, I can recommend a lot of nice places to visit in Charleston. There's a ton of great dining (though vegetarian food is harder to find, admittedly), and some really pretty secluded beaches out on Sullivan's Island near the lighthouse. Myrtle Beach is also nice, but it's a very different feel- where Charleston is more historic antebellum south (plantations, the architecture, the entirety of downtown and the feel of it), Myrtle Beach is more of a Miami feel. Lots of toursity stuff (Broadway on the Beach! Ripley's Believe it or Not! Hard Rock Cafe! Amusement Parks! etc etc etc. Nightclubs and other similar things abound).

Everyone also said the Outer Banks, and I can't recommend them enough either. It's where wife's family (who live in Maryland!) go and visit once a year.

I'm also very offended that you decide to visit the South, and specifically the Carolinas only after I moved away.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    YOU MOVED AWAY LIKE FIVE YEARS AGO

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU MOVED AWAY LIKE FIVE YEARS AGO

YOU COULD HAVE MADE THIS TRIP LIKE FIVE YEARS AGO

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Wait, your family was the one that made all that stuff? I used to go there every year visiting relatives!

Second the Asheville recommendation. The Blue Ridge is very pretty.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Xaquin wrote: »

Wait, your family was the one that made all that stuff? I used to go there every year visiting relatives!

Second the Asheville recommendation. The Blue Ridge is very pretty.

We made the mountain, all the cases, all the panels with the images on them (bald eagle, black bear, etc.), and the reproduction of the giant emerald

I -think- we made the replica of the D. Boone tree as well, but I can't remember.

I was pretty young at the time, but I remember that mountain was on our dining room table for AGES. Also, I helped roll the 'trees' onto the model

edit:

the prototype mountain is in my dads storage room =)

edit 2: I remember my dad forcing them to close the road while he drove the truck up to drop all the stuff off since a lot of those curves are not exactly easy to take in a regular car, much less a massive uhaul type truck

I hadn't thought of this stuff in years

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Asheville North Carolina is good if you want somewhere historical but not all slave-y. I think it has another one of those Vanderbilt mansions @Wassermelone mentioned. Some kind of mansion, anyway. Though it's the far end of NC if you're coming from DC.

Charleston is nice but a *lot* of the historical stuff is obviously fixated on the civil war.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    the triangle area is really nice for food. durham esp has gone through a bit of a foodie revolution. there's a lot of good southern, mexican, and contemporary food around.

NC has some of the best beaches in the US but the cities around them tend not to have the cultural density of asheville in the mountains or the triangle. My family would usually go to wilmington or wrightsville which have big, wide sandy beaches.

we also used to stay on bald head island, it's expensive to stay there but it's great for a day trip. You can only drive golf carts or bikes around the island, so it's nice to take a ferry and bike around. It's very pretty and has some gorgeous homes to gawk at.