As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Man, how did I forget about the Spooky thread?

Anyway I saw this today and thought it was pretty good. It's more spooky in an existential way even though there are zombies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp1paRWGYPY

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Spooky thread, what are your favorite stories about the dead returning to get their own vengeance?
    Not the still-living helping a ghost with its unfinished business, but either a ghost or an actual body raised from the grave just long enough to avenge their own murder or similar ruination

Working on some story ideas for myself here

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Spooky thread, what are your favorite stories about the dead returning to get their own vengeance?
    Not the still-living helping a ghost with its unfinished business, but either a ghost or an actual body raised from the grave just long enough to avenge their own murder or similar ruination

medievil-usa.jpg

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

"In The Vault" by HP Lovecraft

Depending on which version you read there's the Legend of the Bell Witch. In other folklore there's Carl Pruitt the strangling ghost.

There's a Lore episode on a town cursed by an unrighteous death. IIRC it's the episode Downriver. But it doesn't quite fit because of the lack of visible ghost activity or living dead.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Swayze. The answer is always Swayze.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Unsounded? Though it's still not clear if Duane is going to get revenge.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

"In The Vault" by HP Lovecraft

The Thing on the Doorstep also fits the bill

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    The Crow is a fun movie about a revenant. Look up revenant stories.

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    My partner wants to find more videos like Kris Straub's Local 58 series - anyone got recommendations?

(We've seen all the Adult Swim stuff - Too Many Cooks etc.)

Nope.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I bet Satan, Lord of all Evil, would like some belly rubs.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Only mildly creepy, but hey. Might as well share a recent experience.

So, mall. I was just out of the movies, decided to try and get some food court stuff instead of trying to cook or microwave something. They had cheese-twist pretzels, and I was satisfied. Normal enough night.

Only on the way out, I noticed a small side room, with a door. Like, in between two shops, there was a door not quite big enough to be anything. Which was a little odd. Handle didn't work, so I was about ready to go, when I saw a crack. Now, curiosity piqued, I tried to look in, but it was a bit... difficult. Small crack. Dark room. Standard problems for the insatiably curious.

Fortunately, my brain was working, and I pulled out my phone. Cameras, after all, are smaller than my head. Lens got a nice, clean look at a room... with a chair and a manikin. Nothing much else. Not enough space to do anything. Just... that. I took a few pictures, since, well, weird, and walked on home.

Where I found that, despite every other picture I took that day being right in place, every single picture of the room was gone. Pfft. Like that.

Odd.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Do you have a timepiece that isn't connected to s network? Like an old fashioned watch? Id be curious if you lost some time.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Just saw a trailer for The Void and let me tell you, my interest is thoroughly fucking piqued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-OknmEs9mY

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Everything about that trailer is extremely my jam.

04xkcuvaav19.png
    oooh that title type is sexy as hell

1HZftmP.jpg
    We don't have a baby

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    the pixilation in that baby pic reminds me of the doomguy head

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    so when I was a kid, I had a recurring nightmare.

I'd be in my house, walking from room to room, and I can see, outside the sliding patio door, him.

completely bald, shabby gray suit. this figure just standing there. I move into the hallway and walk past the kitchen and he's there, and I can hear it now.

he mumbles. Just wordless nonsense noises. standing there in his suit, he doesn't have any shoes on, standing in a pile of filth, mumbling.

I run into the living room, and he's there. closer now, mumbling. I start screaming, hollering for my mother, and run upstairs to her bedroom.

he's there, leaning over her bed while she sleeps, mumbling. I start to cry and I wake myself with one of those breathless shouts, where you wake up panicking, and realize you haven't been breathing for the past few seconds.

I changed my medication recently and he's come back, the last few nights now.

I'd be in my house, walking from room to room, and I can see, outside the sliding patio door, him.

completely bald, shabby gray suit. this figure just standing there. I move into the hallway and walk past the kitchen and he's there, and I can hear it now.

he mumbles. Just wordless nonsense noises. standing there in his suit, he doesn't have any shoes on, standing in a pile of filth, mumbling.

I run into the living room, and he's there. closer now, mumbling. I start screaming, hollering for my mother, and run upstairs to her bedroom.

he's there, leaning over her bed while she sleeps, mumbling. I start to cry and I wake myself with one of those breathless shouts, where you wake up panicking, and realize you haven't been breathing for the past few seconds.

Be nice. I hear he's a really pleasant guy in person.

1411397027180_Image_galleryImage_epa04411975_US_actor_John.JPG

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    One of the few thoughts that I can give myself that causes my heart to jump is walking into a room and then noticing a figure standing there or at a window just staring, wide-eyed, malicious. The idea that there was something there and I didn't notice and was left vulnerable makes me uncomfortable.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

jonathan_banks.jpg

He just wants to tell you about using half vs full measures.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Spooky thread, I noticed they'd added It Follows to Netflix and finally got a look at it.

Not bad! Not quite as good as people were making it out to be, but a solid all-around film. The sneaky get-an-80s-look-by-filming-in-Detroit trick was very clever.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Spooky thread, I noticed they'd added It Follows to Netflix and finally got a look at it.

Not bad! Not quite as good as people were making it out to be, but a solid all-around film. The sneaky get-an-80s-look-by-filming-in-Detroit trick was very clever.

i thought it was pretty amazing myself. I don't think they were trying for an 80's look at all; the sheer desolation of Detroit just added to the film's hopelessness.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

i thought it was pretty amazing myself. I don't think they were trying for an 80's look at all; the sheer desolation of Detroit just added to the film's hopelessness.

One way or another, Detroit was a shrewd choice, whatever the director's intent was.

I have a couple quibbles that knock it down to like 8/10 for me. For one:
    Putting the girl-in-yellow scene up front unnecessarily follows Horror Movie Protocol since at least Scream. Could easily have have had it playing over narration from the rich jerk boyfriend, telling us how he thinks he got it from a girl at a party or similar or elsewhere. Might require a shuffling of the cards as far as learning how It operates or make him out to be a worse guy, though.

For another:
    I generally love the fact that It is slow but not at all stupid, making what appear to be deliberately disconcerting choices of appearance at various moments. It nonetheless appears to be pretty bad at catching people off guard, which is odd. This one's minor, though.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited March 2017

One way or another, Detroit was a shrewd choice, whatever the director's intent was.

Putting the girl-in-yellow scene up front unnecessarily follows Horror Movie Protocol since at least Scream. Could easily have have had it playing over narration from the rich jerk boyfriend, telling us how he thinks he got it from a girl at a party or similar or elsewhere. Might require a shuffling of the cards as far as learning how It operates or make him out to be a worse guy, though.

For another:
    I generally love the fact that It is slow but not at all stupid, making what appear to be deliberately disconcerting choices of appearance at various moments. It nonetheless appears to be pretty bad at catching people off guard, which is odd. This one's minor, though.

Yeah I agree. I really didn't like the very beginning either; it felt trashy somehow
    I don't think whatever it is has a lot of intelligence; it just heads for what it's supposed to kill and then kills them. It's not really a hunter at all, more like a force. When it seems able to manifest seems completely random. All it really seem to be able to do is choose it's appearance to freak out the person it's after the most or lull them into not knowing what it is.

Magic Pink on
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    One of the few thoughts that I can give myself that causes my heart to jump is walking into a room and then noticing a figure standing there or at a window just staring, wide-eyed, malicious. The idea that there was something there and I didn't notice and was left vulnerable makes me uncomfortable.

That alone is why I avoid looking at the porch windows too much late at night.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Anyone see Train to Busan? It's a rage zombie movie, pretty much 28 Minutes Later. Zomber outbreak occurs while a guy is on a train with his daughter. It's pretty gud and tense, with some genuinely spook moments.
    my favourite being when they're transferring to another train due to a blockage, and all of a sudden another engine comes roaring down the tracks on fire. D:

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant

For another:

Yeah I agree. I really didn't like the very beginning either; it felt trashy somehow
    I don't think whatever it is has a lot of intelligence; it just heads for what it's supposed to kill and then kills them. It's not really a hunter at all, more like a force. When it seems able to manifest seems completely random. All it really seem to be able to do is choose it's appearance to freak out the person it's after the most or lull them into not knowing what it is.
    The pool scene where It starts throwing things at her while wearing her dead Dad's skin rather than go in the water shows some definite intelligence if not outright cunning. Similarly, waiting to go after the Cool Guy until he'd stopped worrying is a smart move if not genius. I'd agree it's not super-clever but something's at work there

kshu0oba7xnr.png

For another:

The pool scene where It starts throwing things at her while wearing her dead Dad's skin rather than go in the water shows some definite intelligence if not outright cunning. Similarly, waiting to go after the Cool Guy until he'd stopped worrying is a smart move if not genius. I'd agree it's not super-clever but something's at work there

yeah the not-definied "rules" make it all the more creepy
    it's almost like the longer it has to go after one person, the smarter and meaner it gets

For another:

I took the passage of time to mean that they passed it on to others. Greg passed it to one of those girls he was talking to. Jay gives up and passes it on to one of the guys on the boat. Even Paul may have passed it on to a prostitute. Maybe these people unknowing pass it on to others to buy them a small amount of time but since they never explained the rules like Hugh explained it to Jay then they were doomed.

Bedlam wrote: »

For another:

I took the passage of time to mean that they passed it on to others. Greg passed it to one of those girls he was talking to. Jay gives up and passes it on to one of the guys on the boat. Even Paul may have passed it on to a prostitute. Maybe these people unknowing pass it on to others to buy them a small amount of time but since they never explained the rules like Hugh explained it to Jay then they were doomed.
    Distinctly possible and pretty clear from subtext, but I'd sort of prefer to think It's got at least some sense of timing. It seems to show signs of that in other instances, like waiting until they opened the door for the bookish friend to lurch into view and the room when it first comes to the house for Jay.

One of the great features of the movie is that generally it's not afraid to let you wonder about that kind of thing, though.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited March 2017

For another:

Distinctly possible and pretty clear from subtext, but I'd sort of prefer to think It's got at least some sense of timing. It seems to show signs of that in other instances, like waiting until they opened the door for the bookish friend to lurch into view and the room when it first comes to the house for Jay.

One of the great features of the movie is that generally it's not afraid to let you wonder about that kind of thing, though.

I love movies that don't explain everything.

we desperately need more of the unexplained in our horror

i was so disappointed in the new Blair Witch that they felt the need to
    specify precisely how the witch's victims can kill/take someone

Magic Pink on
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular

For another:

I feel like the opening was kinda necessary, because establishing that this is a monster movie actually made the boyfriend's later actions more shocking/interesting to me.
    And I think they established that the monster doesn't just appear, it has a physical body and has to walk from place to place. The speed at which it moves seems super inconsistent, but definitely slower than a car. Also it can't magically appear inside of buildings, it has to find a way in. It used a rock to break a window at one point, right? It does seem to be able to do some supernatural movement stuff though because they see it standing on a roof at one point.

I think it having a physical body and some movement handicaps is a big part of what makes it scary. If it were just a murder ghost that could appear behind you whenever, you might as well give up and die. But if you know there are ways to avoid it, you're kind of obligated to try, right? All you have to do is keep moving constantly and have a friend double check anyone who is walking towards you.

edited March 2017

For another:

In theory, I'm 100% onboard with the unexplained in horror

but when the method for dispatching the monster or whatever is established early in the film and then the entire arc of the film is about reaching this specific goal which will dispatch the monster and our heroes fight and struggle and just barely complete the goal which will dispatch the monster and oh dag they were wrong the whole time that doesn't actually dispatch the monster and the monster gets them anyway

that shit is annoying as hell, and with a couple of simple tweaks can be fixed.

Some examples (be warned, these are literally the final scenes of the movies so spoilers)
    The Woman in Black, which is a stinking trash fire of a film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ7efalhqnM
    The goal is completed and everything is fine. Only it's not fine. Not for any particular reason, just because the whole journey of the movie was for shit and the kid and his dad would have died anyway and be tormented for eternity in the afterlife. The primary motivator in the movie was corrupt and never going to be achieved under any circumstances. Was there a way to dispatch the monster? Maybe! Mystery!

Drag Me to Hell, which owns and is amazing.
    https://youtu.be/quY0mRlL5FQ
    The goal is completed and everything is fine. Only it's not fine. But for a reason. A specific setup earlier in the film, leading to this now payoff, which means that the goal was performed incorrectly and never actually completed. This is an actual twist that has been earned. The primary motivator in the movie was attainable, and could have been achieved, if not for a simple misunderstanding and bad luck. Not only that, but we get a little extra motivation from the lead, which clarifies that she's not so great afterall, and is perhaps getting what was coming to her (a little overkill maybe, but it's called Drag Me to Hell so what do you want)

Mystery is wonderful in horror movies. As long as its internally consistent and doesn't negate the premise. Then it's just lazy writing.

#pipe on
    Smurph wrote: »

For another:

I feel like the opening was kinda necessary, because establishing that this is a monster movie actually made the boyfriend's later actions more shocking/interesting to me.
    And I think they established that the monster doesn't just appear, it has a physical body and has to walk from place to place. The speed at which it moves seems super inconsistent, but definitely slower than a car. Also it can't magically appear inside of buildings, it has to find a way in. It used a rock to break a window at one point, right? It does seem to be able to do some supernatural movement stuff though because they see it standing on a roof at one point.

I think it having a physical body and some movement handicaps is a big part of what makes it scary. If it were just a murder ghost that could appear behind you whenever, you might as well give up and die. But if you know there are ways to avoid it, you're kind of obligated to try, right? All you have to do is keep moving constantly and have a friend double check anyone who is walking towards you.

what I meant was yeah the opening was necessary and on paper it was fine but the way they did it just felt icky. The girl in her little nightie/slip/dress thing and running on the lawn in those red high heels just felt... off.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

For another:

This has been going on for the longest time, the original script/book for The Birds never had any reason to the attacks at all. The producers apparently decided that the audience wouldn't like that so ended up putting a dumb explanation in.
    Anyone see Train to Busan? It's a rage zombie movie, pretty much 28 Minutes Later. Zomber outbreak occurs while a guy is on a train with his daughter. It's pretty gud and tense, with some genuinely spook moments.
    my favourite being when they're transferring to another train due to a blockage, and all of a sudden another engine comes roaring down the tracks on fire. D:

I thought it was pretty good, though not quite deserving of the hype and ratings I'd seen elsewhere. I did really like the casting for the zombies. Seems like they got seriously flexible gymnasts and stuff in so the zombies could pull off some really disconcerting moves while clearly not being CGI. If you're keen for a classic zombie romp then you'll enjoy this for sure.

Campy on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    One of the best things about the resident evil films, at least the first one, was how they hired stunt performers and actors with double joints and stuff like that that allowed them to move or contort in seemingly unnatural ways, it really lent this air of unsettling authenticity to a lot of their zombos. I love that stuff.

Or like how a lot of horror directors hire dancers to play their monsters so they can, again, move in unique ways.