As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Conan Exiles: Penny Arcade Server Now Online

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be shocked if mining thralls become a thing too (maybe they already are?)

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be shocked if mining thralls become a thing too (maybe they already are?)

I would hope so. Ideally you can set up a small camp with them gathering resources, maybe even when you're offline. To me, it's potentially the biggest differentiator from other survival/crafting games.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

That would be badass!

Like, you don't even need to see them mining or anything, they just slowly fill a specific chest with resources over time.

Even better if they could fill a furnace for you, you just keep it stocked with coal and wake up to bricks and iron bars.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Yall wrote: »

I would hope so. Ideally you can set up a small camp with them gathering resources, maybe even when you're offline. To me, it's potentially the biggest differentiator from other survival/crafting games.

Currently they can be assigned to the crafting stations to increase the build speed of items on them. I wouldn't be surprised if a mining camp building got added that functioned in a similar fashion.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Hmm, I missed seeing this thread earlier. I bought Conan at launch and played a lot on a friend's server with like 3 or 4 people, mostly just exploring and trying stuff out. I might've joined you guys, but it sounds like there have been some pvp shenanigans which tend to put me off. People say games like this are made to be pvp but I just enjoy leveling and building with friends. And from what I understand this is a hard game to get into a server late in the game, as all the prime building spots are taken, or people leave foundations around to prevent building.

On my friend's server I built a castle I'm pretty happy with in the far north, though I've burnt out a little on the game before I was able to totally finish/furnish it. First I planned it out in Fortify, which was originally made for Rust but it has similar building blocks to this game:

gtkhNTZ.png?1

Let me tell you, doing an irregularly angled building like that and getting it to connect with itself can be a nightmare. Took a lot of tweaking to get it like that. The long bar ending at the bottom left is where it doesn't quite match up perfectly, but it's really close to the point it doesn't matter.

I can't take current screenshots of it just now, but here's one from when it was less complete:

ex7T4e2.jpg?1

All the smaller towers have pointed roofs, and they're all different heights which makes it look more interesting.

Also, I didn't even know this when I started building, but shrines to each god have to be a certain distance from each other...turns out the three big towers are just far enough apart to build one to each god on top.

I want to do a central keep as well, rising out above the walls.

I wish I could make stuff like that.

Mine are clearly haphazard squares, with bits stuck on...

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    My biggest hope for this game is a lot more PVE content. I don't play these games to do battle against other people. I just want to build. But I would like to have the option of fighting AI marauders and things.

Hopefully they continue to develop more PVE content as the game goes on.

Norgoth wrote: »

Currently they can be assigned to the crafting stations to increase the build speed of items on them. I wouldn't be surprised if a mining camp building got added that functioned in a similar fashion.

How about this - some kind of building, tool or ability to "take over" a camp so you can collect taxes from them. NPCs there no longer attack on sight, they greet you and give you gifts like stone or iron. But they go hostile again if you insist on clubbing one of them over the head to take as a thrall. And they're always hostile against any other clans, unless those clans manage to take them over instead.

Imagine owning some of those larger NPC territories in the north!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    I have started construction of a watchtower near the entrance of the PA fort.

It's not done yet, as I need some more skill points to unlock some options, so it's looking a bit square.

The idea is to shove some archer thralls in there to compliment the ones on the main fort, but if it's messing with your aesthetic vision feel free to recycle it for the stone.

It's mostly just a leveling up project.

Just be aware that he archers can't shoot over the low walls, so leave the top flat.

Aww. That messes up my look.

Little annoying that you can't move things after you've placed them. I've torn down, and rebuilt that tower 3 times now. And I had an idea for a redesign, so when I get home tonight, down it goes again.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    @Elimination Just a heads up, there was a patch this morning so your server needs to be updated before anybody can connect to it. Thank you again for hosting a server <3

Malakaius on
    PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm out of town this week, but plan on picking this up when I'm back next week from work. Looking forward to joining you nice folks.

I know nothing about this game beyond the dongs...but hey that's reason enough to buy a game right?

camo_sig2.png
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Malakaius wrote: »
    @Elimination Just a heads up, there was a patch this morning so your server needs to be updated before anybody can connect to it. Thank you again for hosting a server <3

Updated !

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    Heir wrote: »
    I'm out of town this week, but plan on picking this up when I'm back next week from work. Looking forward to joining you nice folks.

I know nothing about this game beyond the dongs...but hey that's reason enough to buy a game right?

Boobs too. And butts. Lots of butts.

Can anyone get a clan invite out to SniperGuy?

Iron swords now available in the clan blacksmith.

How come there are no Crom altars or crafting recipes?

Also, is there a way to see your chosen religion on a character screen somewhere? I'm not seeing it on my attributes page.

On the topic of religion, is there a good source of documentation somewhere for what it does and what (if any) benefits each religion provides? Or is it all for RP and there's no gameplay benefit?

If a group of friends were to form a clan together, do they all want to select the same religion or different? And since learning recipes is capped and limited, would it be worthwhile to learn the altars and so forth for multiple religions, or is it best to stick with just one?

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    How come there are no Crom altars or crafting recipes?

HAH!

I laugh only because Crom is well known in the Conan universe as the God that does not answer prayers.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Ahh, see I know nothing at all about the Conan universe. This video game is literally my first exposure, ever, to this world. I've never seen any of the movies, or read the books or comics, and I never played Age of Conan or any other games. Conan Exiles is my first ever Conan experience.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Age of Conan Obrien Adventures was pretty fun. Until you left the starting area, then there wasn't any content and it suuuuuucked. But dang Tortage was great.

I didn't absorb anything about the setting though, other than it's full of terrible people.

Aistan on
    That's cool, no biggie. I just found the question humorous.

Most of the "Gods" in Conan may or may not exist, but Crom especially is one where things lean much more towards "probably doesn't exist?" with the question mark.

To worship Crom is to spill the blood of your enemies and be victorious battle.

I can't get onto my friend's server to take real screens because of the update, but here is more castle stuff. May be helpful for people to know in their own building process.

This is where it is located, as well as the rough size:

v615zJs.jpg

This is an EXCELLENT location for anyone. The desert up there is generally pretty safe. The most dangerous things are rhinos and scorpions, and you can see them from miles away. Other than that, emus, deer and shalebacks at the oasis just north. There is also a camp of humans near the oasis, a priest and his followers building a giant statue to Mara. Lots of rocks, iron, trees, water. Easy access to those rock dogs to the west for brimstone.

So, I'll be honest with you, I built the whole castle first in single player admin/godmode to help plan it out so I wouldn't waste a lot of materials, and let me tell you, it took a while to get right and I still wasted a lot. The pic I posted earlier is genuine, but everything else here was planning, which explains the bird's eye views.

This was the foundations laid:

E0ko2KL.png?1

You can see some weirdness at the top there...sadly for whatever reason you can't stack triangular wedge foundations on top of each other like other foundations, and it sucks. Leads to weird situations like that. One time in my planning I literally couldn't build anymore because the triangles were too far below the ground for things to snap to their side, but I couldn't build up from them to give me something to snap with. You may or may not run into similar issues. It's mainly bad when you have a huge building and you need it to be contiguous all the way around, but obviously the ground rises and lowers naturally and causes problems like that.

Here is how to build and snap the giant gate properly, something you'll want to know in advance.

If you just try to build it on top of foundations, you'll get frustrated because for some reason it snaps to the center of the foundations instead of the edge where the walls are, which is a really weird choice on their part. The solution is fence foundations:

jjHOxX2.png?1

Snap one halfway jutting out from other foundations, then snap one halfway along that in line with the rest of the foundations. Then the gate will snap to the fence foundation and be flush:

1HWKQyv.jpg?1

Finally here are some pics of my initial planned castle, there are some differences with the final design like having all the smaller towers at different heights.

25mdAIP.jpg?1

Qu3URBa.jpg?1

vDTSGlX.jpg?1

aqNS4Ku.jpg?1

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I lost a weekend to this and it's a ton of fun. I haven't played any of these kinds of games so it's all new to me, and aside from how infuriating placing some pieces has been, it's been a really solid time.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Can anyone comment on how the PvE content compares to Ark? Like, is it satisfying to just play it as a PvE only game? I started off reading the thread fairly skeptical of an unpassworded PvP server, aaand then mr. super try hard serious PvP guy shows up and confirms all of the reasons PvP makes Ark go from being a fantastic game to the worst game ever.

Fiatil on
    edited February 2017
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Can anyone comment on how the PvE content compares to Ark? Like, is it satisfying to just play it as a PvE only game? I started off reading the thread fairly skeptical of an unpassworded PvP server, aaand then mr. super try hard serious PvP guy shows up and confirms all of the reasons PvP makes Ark go from being a fantastic game to the worst game ever.

I'd say Ark easily beats Conan for PvE.

Like, when I'm playing Ark single player (or on a PvE server) I'm pretty on edge because of the wild life (and I love it). Here the monsters are just. . . there? I mean it is still early access of course. Still Ark's jungles and forests go a long way to making the PvE even better. Conan's mostly deserty land doesn't really have the same effect.

So I'd say if your looking for PvE, probably not here. At least not yet. Though if you're fine with just building crazy stuff with friends then have at it.

edit- For this genre of game Ark was one where I never felt I needed PvP. I was perfectly happy building my treeforts and living the Robinson Crusoe lifestyle solo or with friends.

Conan on the other hand, PvP is the name of the game for me.

Axen on
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Like, when I'm playing Ark single player (or on a PvE server) I'm pretty on edge because of the wild life (and I love it). Here the monsters are just. . . there? I mean it is still early access of course. Still Ark's jungles and forests go a long way to making the PvE even better. Conan's mostly deserty land doesn't really have the same effect.

So I'd say if your looking for PvE, probably not here. At least not yet. Though if you're fine with just building crazy stuff with friends then have at it.

edit- For this genre of game Ark was one where I never felt I needed PvP. I was perfectly happy building my treeforts and living the Robinson Crusoe lifestyle solo or with friends.

Thanks!

I disagree on some points. I greatly prefer Conan's map to Ark's, because the desert/rocky environment means it's so much easier to mentally map the lay of the land, see major landmarks, orient yourself. "My house is near that giant statue, and that big NPC base is just beyond that massive bridge" etc. Ark's map (at least its primary, most common map) didn't have enough recognizable landmarks for my liking. Too much foliage blocking the view.

I also feel like it was too easy to get snuck up on in Ark by some crazy apex predator that destroys you instantly. Again, the higher visibility in Conan makes it easier to see your enemies from further away (and also to find your body again after you die).

I don't play Conan strictly for the sake of PvEing, the joy of killing enemies. I like leveling and crafting and slowly building up an awesome base, and I think it surpasses Ark in that respect.

Ark's itemization requirements got insane and unbalanced far too quickly. Like, hundreds of leather required to make one saddle. I don't care if that's some sort of balance decision, that's just ridiculous. Lots of weird decisions on how dinos should be tamed and how long it should take and how to raise them from eggs.

You would think that going from a game that lets you raise fricken dinosaurs to one that...doesn't, would be a big letdown. In reality it was kind of a relief, to rely on my own strength.

"No one in this world can you trust, not men, not women, not beasts.....this you can trust!"

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    And on the topic of PVP - I've just been killed by that Tama guy for no fucking reason - I can't even bothered to to log back in and try and recover my stuff.

I'm done - I've been gathering for the last few days and have made some stuff for the clan - I have a stack of torches and a few stacks of steel and coal - I'll drop them off in my house my the stream tomorrow, and when someone has picked them up I'll log in again and drop out of the guild.

PVP servers just aren't for me - I think I'll take a break for a bit and track down a PvE server.

Axen wrote: »

I am of the opposite opinion. I find Conan's PVE far more interesting than Ark's. I found that Ark, while interesting survival wise, the world was not nearly as interesting to explore. Conan has so many NPC tribes, hidden caves with treasure in them and things like that that I have a blast just exploring the world. I did not have this experience with Ark. Ark bored me fairly quickly actually.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    And on the topic of PVP - I've just been killed by that Tama guy for no fucking reason - I can't even bothered to to log back in and try and recover my stuff.

I'm done - I've been gathering for the last few days and have made some stuff for the clan - I have a stack of torches and a few stacks of steel and coal - I'll drop them off in my house my the stream tomorrow, and when someone has picked them up I'll log in again and drop out of the guild.

PVP servers just aren't for me - I think I'll take a break for a bit and track down a PvE server.

Just join the server I am hosting, there's a few of us on it all playing together, and it's far more friendly/not PVP oriented.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Well someone's been busy.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Yeah that's pretty par for the course for a pvp server.

Remember where this happened by any chance?

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Ha too funny UncleSporky, Malakaius, Elimination and I went exploring and we too stumbled across that same exact spot for our future base. It's just a really good location with lots of access to resources and don't have to worry about competing with foliage.

edited February 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Yeah that's pretty par for the course for a pvp server.

Remember where this happened by any chance?

Sorry to hear that, Snipers right to ask, do you remeber where this was and importantly do you remeber what kind of equipment he had?

I think it's about time for some righteous vengeance.

Yeah, I decided to make use of your tower to construct a defensive wall infront of the main door.

Norgoth on
    Don't give up yet Mark. A) him whacking one or many of us was to be expected after the way things went down. B) revenge will be fun and you don't want to miss out on that!

Any tips on the rest of my questions posted above? Does choice of deity matter? Do me and my friends want to build multiple altars to different gods or does it make any difference?

edited February 2017
    Any tips on the rest of my questions posted above? Does choice of deity matter? Do me and my friends want to build multiple altars to different gods or does it make any difference?

You probably want to go with different gods to get the advantages of each. Though be aware you'll each need to craft your special god's harvest item which can be only used once per npc/player corpse. So you can only get one lingering essence/human heart/unblemished flesh but not all three.

Each god has different attributes. Mitra is more of the support with ambrosia (regeneration potions), a cheaper well, and some equipment. Set is more the ranged offense with antidotes, snake arrows, and nipple rings. Yog is eating people/melee offense with purified meat (doesn't spoil, also gives some water) and some unique melee weapons. Crom is crom, he don't give a shit (ignore this douche).

Note that only the given acolyte can actually do the crafting of these items on the altar so if you really want a lot of ambrosia I'd have your most active player worship Mitra since lingering essence does spoil.

Karoz on
    How big of a deal are those regen potions?

I'm told it's worth crafting them less for the potion itself and more for the tokens (or whatever they are called) that you earn from crafting.

I'm told it's worth crafting them less for the potion itself and more for the tokens (or whatever they are called) that you earn from crafting.

Every time you craft something you earn a token, you need these to build the upgraded shrine that lets you summon the gods avatar.

Ambrosia needs one soul, which you get from hitting dead humans with the Ankh that comes from the shrine. It's very easy to stack up on what is basically healing potions. There actually incredibly useful for longer trips because often slow attrition from hyenas and stuff is what gets you.

Ok so I've seen the promo videos that have those big god avatar things. Do they drop anything if you defeat them? Or what's the point of summoning them?

It seems to me that they just wreck your base. There would need to be a really big payoff to summon something that can just walk right through and smewsh your buildings without even trying.

edited February 2017
    Seeing as you don't get healing potions until you can unlock the Firebowl Cauldron a bit later on, Ambrosia can be extremely important to keep you from dying. While it does require lingering essence, it can be pretty easy to farm that up if you have a nearby camp you can raid.

But yes the big draw is the Tokens so you can upgrade your altar later on--assuming the bug that resets things like Tokens back to 1 isn't in full force.

Edit: The avatars are for PvP where one side invests a bunch of resources to build an avatar of their god that can go ham on an enemy base for about 60 seconds. That's enough to do a lot of damage and could turn the tide though it takes a lot of investment and the summoner can be killed early causing the avatar to disappear.

Karoz on